Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I didn't particularly like the Windows 7 beta, nor the RC. The final release, though... WOW. Microsoft has really outdone themselves - heck, they fixed my biggest gripe with Windows (Windows gives no feedback when trying to launch a program) AND my second-biggest gripe (not immediately obvious what's holding up a shutdown, reboot, or log out operation). They also subdued the UAC icon in 7, another change I like. Finally, all the little things Microsoft added... like jump menus, Libraries (which Mac OS X lacks an exact equivalent to), and the revamped taskbar all make Windows 7 that much more pleasant to use. :D I'll admit that it runs a little slower than I'd like, especially inside a Parallels VM, but I'll take that shortcoming for the new stuff it offers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let me qualify the post by saying I've just installed win7 this past week, but I had played with it during the beta/rc period as well.

I'm pretty much underwhelmed with win7. Yeah, its an improvement to vista but you can easily make the argument that windows 95 is an improvement to vista :)

Overall it seems to work ok, and the look/feel is fresh and modern but its still windows and the inherent peculiarities of windows are still present. I'm also having to deal with making sure the windows 7 installation is locked down sufficiently, something I don't worry about in OSX.

So far, I've yet to see why win7 is the greatest thing since sliced bread

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Let me qualify the post by saying I've just installed win7 this past week, but I had played with it during the beta/rc period as well.

I'm pretty much underwhelmed with win7. Yeah, its an improvement to vista but you can easily make the argument that windows 95 is an improvement to vista :)

Overall it seems to work ok, and the look/feel is fresh and modern but its still windows and the inherent peculiarities of windows are still present. I'm also having to deal with making sure the windows 7 installation is locked down sufficiently, something I don't worry about in OSX.

I'm with you. I've used it, and tested it, etc. but very unimpressed. I mean it's cool to play around with...but still not where OS X is, IMHO. And this is coming from someone who supports MS products for a living, and did all kinds of testing, etc. way back from Windows 3.0 - Vista...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I can understand how some of you might find Win7 underwhelming - after all, not all the improvements in it are immediately user-visible. I still hold my stance of liking it... but not so much that I'd switch from Mac to Windows. That just seems silly in light of Windows's security problems. Yes, Microsoft has taken steps in the right direction, which I applaud them for. I think Microsoft will need to do much more, though, to truly solve their problems. Then again, Mac OS X and Linux have problems of their own that are security-related. Out of the various Linuxes, Ubuntu is the one I like best, but even it isn't perfect. I think it could learn a few things from elsewhere. As for Mac OS X, well... its implementation of Address Space Layout Randomization is flawed (this was improved in SL, but not quite to the extent it needs to be). All 3 OSes suffer from the bad practice of, by default, making the first user admin-privileged. The default should be, IMO, two users, one with admin rights for administrative tasks and a standard user for day-to-day stuff.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
To paraphrase from the Dos Equis commercials. "I don't always run Windows, but when I do it's Windows 7".

It's still Windows, but some things are quite improved. We won't really see some of the under the hood stuff until new hardware and software comes along to take advantage of the new APIs. I was particularly impressed with some of the new sensor APIs when I attended the Win 7 launch event for developers.

B

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I love OS X, but Windows 7 does have some very nice features that I don't think I would be called a traitor to wish for in my own favorite OS. While Expose is my favorite feature of an operating system ever and I would never leave OS X for its stability, features, and usability, I really like the new windows manipulation tricks with Windows 7.

My wife has Windows 7 and from her perspective (a regular windows user) she thinks they are very convenient which is what Microsoft was aiming for. Do I still think OS X is better? Definitely, but I feel the differences between the OSes are more fundamental now instead of manipulative. Plus, when you need to use Windows for programs that don't exist on Mac, unfortunately you need to use Windows and that's when features like this make all the difference.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

For starters, wireless networking works in Windows without any problems. But even after the recent updates and bug fixes from Apple, Snow Leopard keeps dropping Airport connections after a few minutes. I had to buy a third party USB stick to get my Mac Pro connected to my WLAN router. And no, this is NOT a hardware issue - the Airport card works fine with non-Apple operating systems.

OS X is getting worse with every new release. If it wasn't for the expensive Mac software that I'm using (Aperture, Logic Studio, Adobe CS3), I would already have switched back to the Windows world.

@ the OP: You say that you have used the Beta and the RC versions and you were underwhelmed, but when you used the final version you felt a huge improvement. There is quite literally no difference from the RC to the RTM so I am just curious to know what differences you felt there were.

But I do agree that Windows 7 is defiantly a huge improvement for Microsoft as it shows that they have really changed their mindset in making the Operating System. They are focusing more on the UI and making it faster rather than adding many new features that just clog the Operating System down. However Mac OS X is still leaps and bounds ahead as Windows (as pointed out in earlier posts) continues to have it's eccentricities and annoyances.

King Mook Mook

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
@ the OP: You say that you have used the Beta and the RC versions and you were underwhelmed, but when you used the final version you felt a huge improvement. There is quite literally no difference from the RC to the RTM so I am just curious to know what differences you felt there were.

But I do agree that Windows 7 is defiantly a huge improvement for Microsoft as it shows that they have really changed their mindset in making the Operating System. They are focusing more on the UI and making it faster rather than adding many new features that just clog the Operating System down. However Mac OS X is still leaps and bounds ahead as Windows (as pointed out in earlier posts) continues to have it's eccentricities and annoyances.

King Mook Mook
Good question. There were several things that irked me about the RC... like the default desktop. That was changed with the final build. The improvements I cited I didn't notice right away, because I didn't use the RC for long enough - I quite literally tested it for 1 hour then discarded it.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I find windows 7 to be a solid OS. But its so damn ugly. all the rounded 'see through' panes to each application is a complete eyesore.

ugh

not any good themes out yet either

someone needs to fix the way this OS looks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.