PDA

View Full Version : Tip: How to upload picture from iPhone to forum [iQuick]

uaecasher
Dec 19, 2009, 02:09 AM
hello,

One day while I was surfing MacRumors, I needed to add a picture in my post but I couldn't because most of the photo uploading apps in App store doesn't give a direct link.

So I did an app that would allow I user to quickly and easily upload picture with no registartion/log in required and NO BANDWIDTH limit and best of all the app is FREE

It's really simple you just pick/take a picture and copy the link, that's it :)

Application Name: Pixels

iTunes Store Link: Pixels (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iquick/id345885918?mt=8)

How to use it:

1) Pick a photo

2) upload it and copy the link

3) on MacRumors forums you can add an image just like on your mac, just add tags around the link or press the image icon on the top of the editor.

Update:

My app update got approved and I've added several features like:

1) Added Facebook Sharing
2) Added Twitter Sharing
3) Added Email Sharing
4) Improved User Interface
5) Added Copy Button.
6) Added URL Codes (IMG tag and HTML code).
7) Improved App Performance.
8) Changed App name to "Pixels"

I hope this helps :)

anjinha
Dec 19, 2009, 04:48 PM
I can do the same with MobileMe, Flickr, TwitPic... And at least then i don't have to look at ads.

uaecasher
Dec 20, 2009, 08:37 AM
I can do the same with MobileMe, Flickr, TwitPic... And at least then i don't have to look at ads.

with these services you still have to register/log in and their apps isn't as quick as this i.e (get the result in same page). Also MobileMe isn't free. Last thing I don't know why people hate ads LOL.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

anjinha
Dec 20, 2009, 09:44 AM
But I am already registered to all those services so using any of them is actually much less trouble than using yet another app. It's not like I have to login each time I want to share a photo.

Plus, I have my photos organized in a certain way, having yet another place to upload just makes things more confusing.

And no, I don't want to look at ads for a service I already enjoy ad-free.

uaecasher
Dec 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
But I am already registered to all those services so using any of them is actually much less trouble than using yet another app. It's not like I have to login each time I want to share a photo.

Plus, I have my photos organized in a certain way, having yet another place to upload just makes things more confusing.

And no, I don't want to look at ads for a service I already enjoy ad-free.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8166597&postcount=55 :p

-aggie-
Dec 20, 2009, 10:18 AM
Too bad you only have this for 3.1.2. I'm not going to 3.1.2 until I can have tethering without being jailbroke. I don't mind ads, so hopefully you keep this free for a good while, since I'll be jailbreaking after the new iPhone comes out.

anjinha
Dec 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8166597&postcount=55 :p

That happens when people remove their photos from flickr, which they may have very valid reasons to do so. Can you do it if you upload photos with your app BTW?

UngratefulNinja
Dec 20, 2009, 10:24 AM
Looks nice, thanks for posting!

ob81
Dec 20, 2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for this app. I have a lot of pictures that I want to share with macrumors, but I don't want to upload to my flickr page or my MobileMe.

The app is as simple as it gets.

-aggie-
Dec 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
I don't get why anyone has problems with a free app having ads. So, they should provide it for the fun of it? Anyway, there are many of us, who refuse to pay for apps, and have no issues with ads.

After this thread, I got Flickr. It's okay, but you have to go through a lot of steps. I wished this app was for 3.0 or 3.0.1, since from some of the comments it seems to make things much easier.

anjinha
Dec 20, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm not saying that the apps shouldn't have ads, but personally I rather pay for an app than look at ads. And my point was that for me the alternatives are better since they're free and with no ads AND they're already integrated with other services I use.

And there's other flickr apps besides the official one.

Psycdude
Dec 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
Looks like a cool app.
Lets see if it works:
http://mozymac.com/uploads/0cc61b8153a85c6.jpg

-If this works, then it is way cool.
The only suggestion I might add is the option to mail this link, so people don't have to type it manually.
Thanks!

MadGoat
Dec 20, 2009, 08:25 PM

Ads? what ads? custom hosts file > all

-aggie-
Dec 20, 2009, 09:13 PM
For the purposes that the OP talked about (adding pics to a post on MR) this app would be the best solution, IMO (and is the only reason I downloaded the Flickr app, since there's nothing else to use). I just wished he's write it for 3.0 (or come back to this thread and say why he can't).

Daremo
Dec 21, 2009, 04:33 PM
Even with other options for uploading photos as mentioned, iquick is great for that simple pic upload you don't care about, and just want to get it on a forum quickly. Well done uaecasher, I love the simplicity of it.

uaecasher
Dec 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
Too bad you only have this for 3.1.2. I'm not going to 3.1.2 until I can have tethering without being jailbroke. I don't mind ads, so hopefully you keep this free for a good while, since I'll be jailbreaking after the new iPhone comes out.

I submitted the update that support 3.0.0+, I'm waiting for it's approval

-aggie-
Dec 21, 2009, 09:53 PM
I submitted the update that support 3.0.0+, I'm waiting for it's approval

How long is the wait normally?

uaecasher
Dec 21, 2009, 10:15 PM
How long is the wait normally?

about 2 to 3 days maybe 4, I submitted the update on Saturday but I guess these two days don't count as they are weekends. So it might be accepted on Tuesday or Wednesday. I will replay on this thread when it's out.

You can also follow me @mozymac in twitter :)

-aggie-
Dec 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
about 2 to 3 days maybe 4, I submitted the update on Saturday but I guess these two days don't count as they are weekends. So it might be accepted on Tuesday or Wednesday. I will replay on this thread when it's out.

You can also follow me @mozymac in twitter :)

Oh, I thought it was months from all the complaints I hear.

yoyo5280
Dec 21, 2009, 11:19 PM
This is handy, more straightforward than mobile me FOSHO.

But my only request is can we have a button that says "copy to clipboard" rather than having to hold down the text?

Peace

LostLogik
Dec 22, 2009, 04:33 AM
Nice and simple app. I like the ability to upload pics that I don't necessarily want cluttering my Flickr stream. And it couldn't be easier in use.

Just one question. Is it possible to delete photos once they're uploaded?

vertigo235
Dec 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
It would be cool to have a quick option to resize the photo to a more forum friendly size.

Other then that, great simple app that serves a purpose!

uaecasher
Dec 28, 2009, 11:36 PM
I updated the app to work with 3.0.0 :)

Enjoy

Vandam500
Dec 29, 2009, 03:26 AM
I updated the app to work with 3.0.0 :)

Enjoy

Thank you for this app, its awesome :)

Ntombi
Dec 29, 2009, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the useful app. I have a couple of requests/suggestions:

- reprogram it so that it doesn't ask to use the current location every time it's opened. It's annoying, and one answer should suffice.

- allow for resizing, even give a standard resize option, because the size of iPhone photos is slightly too big for a lot of forums.

- look into how someone can delete a photo that's been uploaded.

Thanks. :)

uaecasher
Dec 29, 2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the useful app. I have a couple of requests/suggestions:

- reprogram it so that it doesn't ask to use the current location every time it's opened. It's annoying, and one answer should suffice.

- allow for resizing, even give a standard resize option, because the size of iPhone photos is slightly too big for a lot of forums.

- look into how someone can delete a photo that's been uploaded.

Thanks. :)

1) it only ask you the 1st time, the reason it ask you location is geo-tagging the picture.

2) I'm working on it

3) also working on it :)

DoFoT9
Dec 29, 2009, 07:26 AM
very handy app! like others have said it would be nice to delete photos. maybe add an option to sign-up if the user wishes, they could have more privileges such as managing an account etc, then it could compete with flickr and all that :D

Kahnyl
Dec 29, 2009, 08:11 AM
1) it only ask you the 1st time, the reason it ask you location is geo-tagging the picture.

I haven't used this app so I can't say for sure but most GPS aware apps ask twice and then never again.

uaecasher
Dec 29, 2009, 08:15 AM
I haven't used this app so I can't say for sure but most GPS aware apps ask twice and then never again.

maybe I didn't notice it, what I wanted to say that it will ask you once if you accept it.

Kahnyl
Dec 29, 2009, 08:18 AM
http://mozymac.com/uploads/9ad9ca72387761a.jpg

uaecasher
Dec 29, 2009, 08:23 AM
Nice app btw.

Thanks, there is a giveaway if you would like to join (check my sig)

off topic: do you like your :apple: tv? I'm thinking of getting one or a new mac mini but not sure which one.

I will mostly do youtube surfing and itunes movies, only problem with mac mini is that there is no HDMI

Kahnyl
Dec 29, 2009, 08:27 AM
I just replaced it with a Mac Mini actually.

uaecasher
Dec 29, 2009, 08:29 AM
I just replaced it with a Mac Mini actually.

lol and? is it better?

Kahnyl
Dec 29, 2009, 08:40 AM
I have loads of mkv's and avi's so now I'm able to watch them with ease. I used to use my Playstation to watch avi's and the Apple Tv to rent movies but I figured if I got a Mac Mini I'd be able to do both. I was able to get rid of the Apple TV and PS3.

Nuck81
Dec 29, 2009, 10:36 AM
Nice!!

Thanks for the App

uaecasher
Dec 29, 2009, 01:04 PM
Nice!!

Thanks for the App

you're very welcome :)

-aggie-
Dec 29, 2009, 01:18 PM
I see you've added 3.0 compatibility.

http://mozymac.com/uploads/86e72ea2c01bb86.jpg

Now, if there was a way to not get pics automatically turned.

uaecasher
Dec 29, 2009, 01:32 PM
I see you've added 3.0 compatibility.

http://mozymac.com/uploads/86e72ea2c01bb86.jpg

Now, if there was a way to not get pics automatically turned.

strange this problem is only on a web browsers , if you open from iPhone / iPod you can see that it's not rotated or if you download the picture to your mac it won't be rotaed as well

http://mozymac.com/uploads/ac0f7ec895719ef.jpg

This one seems fine

uaecasher
Dec 30, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hello,

I'm celebrating the release of my 1st iPhone/iPod Touch app iQuick (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=345885918&mt=8) by giving away an iPod Touch 8GB 3rd Gen. All you have to do is to replay to that thread: iPod Touch 8GB 3rd Gen Giveaway (http://mozymac.com/forums/f2/ipod-touch-8gb-3rd-gen-giveaway-501/)

Other rules are written there.

Enjoy.

MacOSXProgram
Dec 31, 2009, 04:12 AM
cool app, thanks :)

MacOSXProgram
Dec 31, 2009, 04:30 AM
Hello,

I'm celebrating the release of my 1st iPhone/iPod Touch app iQuick (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=345885918&mt=8) by giving away an iPod Touch 8GB 3rd Gen. All you have to do is to replay to that thread: iPod Touch 8GB 3rd Gen Giveaway (http://mozymac.com/forums/f2/ipod-touch-8gb-3rd-gen-giveaway-501/)

Other rules are written there.

Enjoy.

I just joined

uaecasher
Dec 31, 2009, 05:40 AM
cool app, thanks :)

glad you liked it :)

Bloake
Dec 31, 2009, 08:31 AM
I just joined as well!! Looks like a nice community of Mac users, in a more intimate setting compared to MacRumors.

kainjow
Jan 1, 2010, 11:47 AM
strange this problem is only on a web browsers , if you open from iPhone / iPod you can see that it's not rotated or if you download the picture to your mac it won't be rotaed as well

That's because the image stores whether its rotated or not as EXIF data, and the iPhone and Previewer handler it properly, but most browsers don't yet.

You need to check for this (see UIImage's imageOrientation property) and rotate appropriately. I'm sure there's sample code out there though...

DoFoT9
Jan 1, 2010, 04:16 PM
I just joined

I just joined as well!! Looks like a nice community of Mac users, in a more intimate setting compared to MacRumors.

good on you both :)

im an admin over at mozymac (same user name ;)). look forward to talking to you both there :D

uaecasher
Jan 2, 2010, 01:58 AM
That's because the image stores whether its rotated or not as EXIF data, and the iPhone and Previewer handler it properly, but most browsers don't yet.

You need to check for this (see UIImage's imageOrientation property) and rotate appropriately. I'm sure there's sample code out there though...

Thanks for the info :)

Ntombi
Jan 23, 2010, 03:42 AM
It keeps asking, no matter how many times I open the app.

http://mozymac.com/uploads/24dfa0ca23aa9e4.jpg

http://mozymac.com/uploads/61a31b92417****.jpg

two pics of my dog, trying to see if the size issue is fixed.

GAH! Way too big, plus rotated! What the hell? This seems to happen sometimes and not others. :( (I changed them to thumbs after I checked, but not all forums have that option. )

uaecasher
May 21, 2010, 01:02 AM
Okay guys, I've updated the app and added new stuff:

2) Added Twitter Sharing
3) Added Email Sharing
5) Added Copy Button.

Hope you like it.

-aggie-
May 21, 2010, 01:06 AM
Okay guys, I've updated the app and added new stuff:

2) Added Twitter Sharing
3) Added Email Sharing
5) Added Copy Button.

Hope you like it.

Iím glad you posted tonight, because I had forgot about using this. Thanks for making this. So, itís in the App Store as an update?

uaecasher
May 21, 2010, 01:12 AM
Iím glad you posted tonight, because I had forgot about using this. Thanks for making this. So, itís in the App Store as an update?

Yes :)

DoFoT9
May 21, 2010, 01:50 AM
Yes :)

awsome! are you going to make an ipad version for me?? :P

uaecasher
May 21, 2010, 06:19 AM
awsome! are you going to make an ipad version for me?? :P

I'm working on a universal version (both iPhone&iPad) :)

DoFoT9
May 21, 2010, 06:37 AM
I'm working on a universal version (both iPhone&iPad) :)

oh yay! wonderful :D

jmsclark
May 22, 2010, 12:54 AM
wow... really awesome ..

now i can post pics from my IPhone also .............. it will be totally cool ... :)

i totally appreciate ur effort in posting such useful app

uaecasher
Jun 2, 2010, 11:24 PM
wow... really awesome ..

now i can post pics from my IPhone also .............. it will be totally cool ... :)

i totally appreciate ur effort in posting such useful app

You're very welcome. By the way I've released a universal version now (iPhone+iPad)

here is a youtube trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwcGnN-GcUQ