Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmillermo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Canada
I rip dvds (ones that i have purchased) using handbrake on my MBP. And I was just wondering what codec and format produce the highest quality video. I'm pretty sure that .avi is the best format from what I've heard but if not correct me. I primarily use the xVid codec but is H.264 better? Or is a different codec better? Thanks!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hey there.

first off, "ripping" refers to a process that copies the DVD to computer using a lossless method quality-wise. e.g. using MacTheRipper to remove the encryption and copy onto the HDD. just a little gripe that most users have here, correct terminology! haha

anyway, h.264 is MOST DEFINETELY the best quality to use. i suggest you download the latest handbrake, version 0.9.4. they have remove xvid i believe - its such an outdated and ridiculous video format. in the new handbrake, i suggest you use the new "high profile" setting, that will give the best outcome :)

or you could be daring and use your own bitrates ;)

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Any other "ripping" software?

Is there any other ripping software available, either shareware, commercial, or free, that will alow you to remove the encryption, like Macthe Ripper does?
Been away from this area for a while and I have lost track of what is out there now.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I agree with DoFoT9, h.264 codec is the best quality to use now, I use ripit for my rips, My brother used a program called iMedia to do this and he said it was pretty good. But it is not free, it is shareware

AFAIK all other ripping programs apart from MTR are shareware. MTR4 is in the works apparently, so hold on tight!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.