Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
My friend has an ethernet hub connected to this DSL router, and an access point attached to the hub. I can get a signal from the AP but Airport gives me no option to connect via PPPoE from the wireless AP... anyone know a way to do this?

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Horrortaxi said:
Connect the AirPort to the dsl modem, then the hub to the AirPort. You ought to be able to do it then.

I can't... it's a Linksys Wireless AP with only one ethernet plug...

Right now its DSL Modem -> Hub -> Wireless AP & Other computers

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Horrortaxi said:
Now I'm good and confused. Can you draw a picture of this network or post links to the hardware you're using?

I thought I did clarify that...

But the setup is:

DSL Modem connected to Hub;

Hub has 4 Ethernet-Outs;

3 Connections go to computers in the house;

1 Connection goes to the Wireless AP;

The problem for me is that his computers that are wireless enabled seek the AP, then once they are connected to the AP, the gain access THROUGH the AP THROUGH the Hub to the DSL Modem... so it's more or less a 2 step process.

Why he didn't get a router I'll never know...

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm going to tell you the same thing then: Unplug the hub from the dsl router. Plug the modem into the AirPort's WAN port. Plug the router into the AirPort's LAN port.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Horrortaxi said:
I'm going to tell you the same thing then: Unplug the hub from the dsl router. Plug the modem into the AirPort's WAN port. Plug the router into the AirPort's LAN port.

But he doesn't HAVE a router...

And the Wireless AP doesn't have 2 ports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear I said that above I'll check later.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
The problem is you're trying to share one IP address among multiple computers.

Your DSL modem supplies a connection to your ISP, but does not establish an IP address. By adding the hub to the DSL modem, you are allowing multiple CPUs to access the modem, but your ISP only gives you one IP.

So net is, you can't get IP through Airport, especially since Airport doesn't support PPPoE (from the card - it will through a base station).

What you need is a router that can establish a PPPoE connection through your DSL modem and share it to your network. Linksys has one that will do this.

Have the router establish the PPPoE connection, then distribute IP addresses via DHCP through your wired network and your wireless access point.

Network looks like:

DSL modem connected to line out

Router connected to modem and establish PPPoE connection (has 4 ports)

Wireless AP attached to router.

CPUs happy because all get IP addresses.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
emw said:
The problem is you're trying to share one IP address among multiple computers.

Your DSL modem supplies a connection to your ISP, but does not establish an IP address. By adding the hub to the DSL modem, you are allowing multiple CPUs to access the modem, but your ISP only gives you one IP.

So net is, you can't get IP through Airport, especially since Airport doesn't support PPPoE (from the card - it will through a base station).

What you need is a router that can establish a PPPoE connection through your DSL modem and share it to your network. Linksys has one that will do this.

Have the router establish the PPPoE connection, then distribute IP addresses via DHCP through your wired network and your wireless access point.

Network looks like:

DSL modem connected to line out

Router connected to modem and establish PPPoE connection (has 4 ports)

Wireless AP attached to router.

CPUs happy because all get IP addresses.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I told my friend, since that's what I had setup at home. Unfortunately he doesn't have a router and can't create a network (or at least one that served our networknig purposes). Oh well I guess no wireless access through Airport.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
vraxtus said:
Yes, that's EXACTLY what I told my friend, since that's what I had setup at home. Unfortunately he doesn't have a router and can't create a network (or at least one that served our networknig purposes). Oh well I guess no wireless access through Airport.

$50 at Circuit City. Easy networking. Gaming. No brainer.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Somehow I was seeing an AirPort base station in that setup. Knowing that he doens't have one then no, he can't do it. Wrong hardware. Like emw said, it's a cheap fix at any electronics store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.