PDA

View Full Version : Mail

JzzTrump22
Aug 12, 2004, 07:13 AM
I have yet to set up my mail account on my mac. What am i supposed to put for the incomming and outgoing servers? I know it's supposed to be a POP.

JzzTrump22
Aug 12, 2004, 07:35 AM
I also forgot to mention my parents have an emial account setup in microsoft outloo/express on the windows machines that end with
.optonline.net
The problem is it is a POP3. I am only seeing a POP on the mail setup options. So any help?

Zaty
Aug 12, 2004, 07:43 AM
I also forgot to mention my parents have an emial account setup in microsoft outloo/express on the windows machines that end with
.optonline.net
The problem is it is a POP3. I am only seeing a POP on the mail setup options. So any help?

First "POP" and "POP3" are the same thing. I can't really tell what you have to fill in, but usally it's either mail.provider.com (or .org/.net) or pop. provider.com.

iSaint
Aug 12, 2004, 07:48 AM
OS X gives you the option of importing your mail settings.

or

Look at:

Tools>Options>Accounts>

for your old email account settings and use the same POP and SMTP settings from there. User name and password in the obvious place...it will walk you through the setup.

JzzTrump22
Aug 12, 2004, 07:57 AM
Well i was planning on making a new account. My parents account is ****@optonline.net
Say i wanted to make a new one. Would it also be @optonline net because that is the service provider (optimum online).

I just found out the incomming and outgoing servers are both the same
(mail-hub.optonline.net)

I want to make my own account to foward my college mail to because the college said bad things happen to fowarded email when it goes to hotmail which is what i have now. So i want to make a real mail account.

gekko513
Aug 12, 2004, 08:34 AM
I see that Optimum Online offers 5 separate e-mail addresses per subscription.

"You can add up to 4 additional sub-account e-mail addresses by going to our Optimum Online Account Management system. Enter your primary e-mail name and password where prompted, and follow the instructions to add additional mailboxes."

Yes, they will also be @optonline.net adresses (most likely).

knicksfan58
Aug 12, 2004, 09:20 AM
i have been trying to set up a mail account for my yahoo email address. it always says that it cant connect to the incoming and outgoing mail servers. can someone tell me what these are for yahoo accounts?

yellow
Aug 12, 2004, 09:50 AM
i have been trying to set up a mail account for my yahoo email address. it always says that it cant connect to the incoming and outgoing mail servers. can someone tell me what these are for yahoo accounts?

Did you pay for POP service with yahoo? Because POP won't work if you're just using a free yahoo email account.

yellow
Aug 12, 2004, 09:51 AM
Well i was planning on making a new account. My parents account is ****@optonline.net
Say i wanted to make a new one. Would it also be @optonline net because that is the service provider (optimum online).

As Gecko noted, you will have to create an account through optonline first. You cannot just enter the information in Mail.app and suddenly have an email account.

knicksfan58
Aug 12, 2004, 10:13 AM
Did you pay for POP service with yahoo? Because POP won't work if you're just using a free yahoo email account.
so i cant use mail then if im using a free account?

yellow
Aug 12, 2004, 10:18 AM
so i cant use mail then if im using a free account?

I don't believe so. You have to pay yahoo to use their POP service. See Yahoo Mail+:

http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/help

knicksfan58
Aug 12, 2004, 11:32 AM
can someone reccomend a good free pop email service?

JzzTrump22
Aug 12, 2004, 11:58 AM
Does anyone have a link to the optimum website where you could add email accounts?

yellow
Aug 12, 2004, 12:01 PM
I suspect it's beyond the login page:

http://www.optonline.net/Registration?domain=/Home

That's the way it is on my ISP. Once you login and verify that you are a customer, you can create new email addresses.

JzzTrump22
Aug 12, 2004, 01:03 PM
Ok thanks for the help. I managed to get my e-mail working successfully on my mac.