PDA

View Full Version : They're Here! Dual 2.5ghz impressions

Blue Velvet
Aug 12, 2004, 09:09 AM
Slightly misleading 'cos I'm at home with the flu.

This email landed in my home inbox 30 mins ago...

It might make you feel slightly better to know that 3 large black boxes, with G5 in very large letters, are awaiting your return.
(They're in the store cupboard on the 3rd floor)
A
x

Will be back in the office as soon as I can manage. But will leave it for other UK customers to spread the good word!

jsw
Aug 12, 2004, 09:20 AM
Excellent news for you! Hope you feel better soon, as well. :)

What approach did you end up deciding to use for getting all your apps onto each of the systems? As I recall, you posted a thread about that a while back.

Blue Velvet
Aug 12, 2004, 09:30 AM
Excellent news for you! Hope you feel better soon, as well. :)

What approach did you end up deciding to use for getting all your apps onto each of the systems? As I recall, you posted a thread about that a while back.

Haven't made up my mind about that yet. Am running a fever, coughing my guts out and dying to get back into work...

We'll have a designers meeting asap next week.

Have got so much work on and have to keep one of the G4's running with a full suite of software while upgrading everything at the same time. Luckily, that machine already has a 80gb partition waiting for OSX.

First, I have to put the extra 2gb RAM in them and a 72gb Raptor as boot drive... then apps, then networking... and using SharePoint for the first time on a G4 server, while getting our catalogue to press.

caveman_uk
Aug 12, 2004, 10:15 AM
Haven't made up my mind about that yet. Am running a fever, coughing my guts out and dying to get back into work...

I had that last week. Bloody awful it was. Got practically no sleep for 4 days...
:(

jsw
Aug 12, 2004, 10:19 AM

Have got so much work on and have to keep one of the G4's running with a full suite of software while upgrading everything at the same time. Luckily, that machine already has a 80gb partition waiting for OSX.

First, I have to put the extra 2gb RAM in them and a 72gb Raptor as boot drive... then apps, then networking... and using SharePoint for the first time on a G4 server, while getting our catalogue to press.
Gosh - best of luck with all that. It sounds like it'd be a hassle for a healthy person. One step at a time, and double-check it all - errors take a lot longer than a cautious approach in this case. Let us know how it goes. In the meantime, why aren't you in bed? :)

edesignuk
Aug 12, 2004, 10:33 AM
Where do you work? I'll go and make sure everything has arrived correctly for you ;)

Blue Velvet
Aug 12, 2004, 11:31 AM
Gosh - best of luck with all that. It sounds like it'd be a hassle for a healthy person. One step at a time, and double-check it all - errors take a lot longer than a cautious approach in this case. Let us know how it goes. In the meantime, why aren't you in bed? :)

Thanks for that. Am in bed but well enough to type.
Bored as hell, nothing on TV except for cricket & weakest link...

I want to get my hot sticky hands on my new G5s! :mad:

Edit: I expect more posts from the UK here within the next 24 hours. Maybe we got ours early this morning becuse we're quite close to a huge railway station in the heart of London...

jcook793
Aug 12, 2004, 12:19 PM
... and using SharePoint for the first time on a G4 server, while getting our catalogue to press.Wait, you mean Microsoft SharePoint, the portal product? We use that at work to share documents, but I must be misinterpreting something... That's definitely Windows-only on the server side...

stevehaslip
Aug 12, 2004, 12:23 PM
he just told you where he lives!!!

Its in exactly London, England!! <waynes world :p

Blue Velvet
Aug 12, 2004, 12:24 PM
Wait, you mean Microsoft SharePoint, the portal product? We use that at work to share documents, but I must be misinterpreting something... That's definitely Windows-only on the server side...

Whoops, dropped the 's' at the end

SharePoints (shareware utility to set up shared folders easily on network)

Blue Velvet
Aug 12, 2004, 12:26 PM
he just told you where he lives!!!

Its in exactly London, England!! <waynes world :p

Ha-ha!
The 'he' is a 'she', actually.

stevehaslip
Aug 13, 2004, 03:58 AM
Ha-ha!
The 'he' is a 'she', actually.

oops! my bad :D

GeckoHD
Aug 13, 2004, 09:41 AM
I know you have you machines already. But for the sake of completness, could you add your order details on this page?

http://powermacs.plasticated.com

Blue Velvet
Aug 13, 2004, 01:20 PM
I know you have you machines already. But for the sake of completness, could you add your order details on this page?

http://powermacs.plasticated.com

I'm stuck at home without any of these necessary details... and will not be back in the office till Tues. When I'm there, I will be up to my eyeballs in work so I can't see me getting around to doing this.

Sorry, but it's just not high on the list of my priorities at the mo.

I and others appreciate your efforts, though :)

We had a standing order from Apple UK going way back for 3 x 2ghzs std. configs which was immediately upgraded upon product announcement.

Possible reasons for quick delivery: Apple Store UK, standing order paid way in advance, 3 x std. configs, central London delivery...

wdlove
Aug 13, 2004, 02:44 PM

I certainly pray that you will be feeling better soon. Please try to get plenty of fluids and rest. It's important that you feel well rested to accomplish your task properly.