PDA

View Full Version : Check out some photos I took!

The Muffin Man
Aug 12, 2004, 01:07 PM
I have taken so many photos, it's scary I think. I made this website all by myself (best viewed with Safari of course ;)) Check it out. The URL is in my sig.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 12, 2004, 02:12 PM
You have some beautiful photos. Very nice work.

If I may, I would suggest that you get a new host to make your uploading/displaying of images easier. Currently, It's a bit tedious to browse your images that way. If you could create a gallery of some kind with a thumbnail image, it would be much more appealing. But thats just my opinion.

Again, beautiful work. (You've been bookmarked ;))

The Muffin Man
Aug 12, 2004, 02:24 PM
Why, thank you Michael, and suggestions are always welcome. I'm really not too good with HTML and all...I made this layout months ago and have forgotten most of it. My next step I think will be to mark my favorites in the pictures index. Some are blurry or just boring, but I want those there anyway, so I think I'll mark my favorites with red or green. We'll see.

Kingsnapped
Aug 12, 2004, 02:32 PM
That is great stuff. A better layout would help out the people too lazy to click each one though. Still, beats the crap out of a lot of geocities sites out there.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 12, 2004, 02:32 PM
Do you have Adobe Photoshop?

If so, there is a built-in utility for building web photo galleries. Then all you'd have to do is upload them. No HTML knowledge requred.

PS: I might be able to help you find a host.

The Muffin Man
Aug 12, 2004, 02:34 PM
Close. I have Photoshop Elements. It does everything I need it too, so I don't know why people spend so much money on just a few extra features (unless you work in a graphics field). Elements is only 100 bucks, though I think I got it for 50 cuz I had an Amazon.com gift certificate.

saabmp3
Aug 12, 2004, 03:20 PM
TMM,

Those are some nice pictures you have there. Good work with the camera (and/or computer).

BEN

The Muffin Man
Aug 12, 2004, 03:28 PM
Thank you. I don't do much to the photos with my computer. I just change the contrast mostly.

edesignuk
Aug 12, 2004, 03:31 PM
Oh dear, bandwidth limit exceeded, geocities sucks :( If you're goona have a website dedicated to photography you're gonna need some proper hosting bud, bandwidth limits will be exceeded with just a few visits with these free ones.

Check out the Tiny or Small packages at ASO (http://www.asmallorange.com/services/hosting/?refer=yo-momma.net), very cheap, very reliable, and would mean that your pictures are always available for anyone to enjoy :)

The Muffin Man
Aug 12, 2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I hate GeoCities because of that. The thing is that in general hardly anyone visits my site and I'm kinda broke, so I never see any point to buying bandwidth. Like, if I hadn't posted that link today, I bet my site would have NO hits, so...yeah.

Aaon
Aug 12, 2004, 04:23 PM
Very nice stuff, Muffin Man. I grabbed Jolly Blue Giant for my desktop. Keep up the good work!

Aaron

The Muffin Man
Aug 12, 2004, 09:37 PM
I've created a draft for having my favorite pics signaled for the pictures index. Here's the link: http://geocities.com/surficial_depth/test.html

Tell me what you think. I know there are lots of "FAV"s but I have many. Does it look too cluttered now?

applemacdude
Aug 12, 2004, 10:16 PM
Cool, i like them

The Muffin Man
Aug 12, 2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks. BTW, is your icon like...in support or opposition of Bush? (I'm hoping he loses ;))

yahooz
Aug 12, 2004, 11:44 PM
Close. I have Photoshop Elements. It does everything I need it too, so I don't know why people spend so much money on just a few extra features (unless you work in a graphics field). Elements is only 100 bucks, though I think I got it for 50 cuz I had an Amazon.com gift certificate.

it's not just a few extra features LOL. We are talking the ability to batch process, to use actions, to build better web galleries, a host of actual editing differences....

;)

The Muffin Man
Aug 13, 2004, 12:03 AM
fine, prove me wrong w/ your facy-shmancy details. ";)"

pdpfilms
Aug 13, 2004, 12:34 AM
Nice!!!

Those pictures are amazing. I hope you don't mind If i created an entire folder of them to use as my changing desktop. On a side note, lots of them didn't seem to work...maybe just for me. Might wanna check that out.

Thanks a bunch!

The Muffin Man
Aug 13, 2004, 01:20 AM
Thank you. I know, some aren't loading because they've become "inactive". I didn't update the site for like 5 months earlier this year. I'm working on it. I need feedback on my pictures index draft page though. http://www.geocities.com/surficial_depth/test.html

Sadly, the bandwidth is ****ed up right now, so it doesn't even show what I was thinking of. Maybe I'll switch some things around. Try the link in about an hour, please. I hope I have it figured out by then.

The Muffin Man
Aug 13, 2004, 01:28 AM
michael, thanks for the suggestion in the PM.

stevehaslip
Aug 13, 2004, 03:43 AM
nice, you got a good eye

The Muffin Man
Aug 13, 2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks. I don't think I'll implement the "FAV" thing. It's too cluttered and kind of an eye sore. Kind of like the el train in Chicago.

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 13, 2004, 04:31 PM
I really liked some of your pictures. I think a couple of them will make it to my desktop. For your hosting problem I would recommend http://www.000k.com/index.php. You get 125mb space, 500 mb bandwidth a month, no filesize limit, and no ads all for free. I use them right now to host some images and files for myself.

brap
Aug 13, 2004, 04:34 PM
Sadly, the bandwidth is ****ed up right now, so it doesn't even show what I was thinking of.
Why not host them here (http://www.fotopic.net/)? I only used it because it was free and available, but it's really handy, and very customisable. No bandwidth limit, and I believe you get ~200mb free to begin with.

Edit: An example of how cool it can look can be found here (http://brap.fotopic.net/)... :D

The Muffin Man
Aug 13, 2004, 04:56 PM
The problem with fotopic is the lack of customizability that HTML provides. Also, GeoCities gives 3 GB of free bandwidth a month, so I don't see any reason to choose those other hosts except the storage space (which I've already figured out and dealt with). Thanks, though.

Sneeper
Aug 14, 2004, 02:15 AM
I like Gallery myself. It has a web interface for uploading photos, let's you rotate and modify, generates thumbnails for you, and it's open sourced. You do need a hosting service that supports PHP to use it though.

http://gallery.sourceforge.net.

Your photos rock, Muffin Man. Some of them would make very cool desktop backgrounds... Assuming we had permission to use them, of course...

Peter9
Aug 14, 2004, 02:37 AM
those shots are very cliche; nothing new or unique imo. but good job at doing..that

BakedBeans
Aug 14, 2004, 03:10 AM
hi muffin can you tell me what camera you use???

yahooz
Aug 14, 2004, 11:51 AM
get a domain for 10.00 from godaddy.com, and get 3.00/month 300mb/3gig hosting from crisishost.com!

The Muffin Man
Aug 14, 2004, 12:37 PM
Everyone has permission to use the pictures on their computer. Please don't redistribute them or pass them off as your own, though. Two cameras were used for this site. Or three. The blurrier shots (and the older ones) were taken with some kind of cheapish Canon Powershot, and the newer, more detailed ones were taken with really nice Sonys. One was a little (but good!) pocket camera, and the other was a huge scary one with a gigantic lens. I don't know the model numbers. Sorry. I suggest any Sony camera with a big lens (although the flash and light metering broke on mine).

The Muffin Man
Aug 14, 2004, 12:40 PM
By the way, just to clarify, when I said you can use the pictures, I meant that you can just look at them or use them as a desktop, but PLEASE do NOT alter them in any way (except size I guess, so it will fit your screen). I have put a lot of effort into my art, so please respect it by not using it in your own work or by redistributing it, etc. Thanks!

The Muffin Man
Aug 18, 2004, 03:40 PM
I have news for y'all! I've posted two pictures since my last post here, and I'll be posting more soon. I'm also working on a bit of an update, so we have some things to look forward to.

The Muffin Man
Aug 20, 2004, 03:27 PM
Ok, so I changed the about and help pages. Maybe it's not a HUGE update, but what needed to be done has been done.

The Muffin Man
Aug 25, 2004, 07:46 PM
bump!

liquidcanopener
Aug 30, 2004, 02:34 AM
Outstanding camera work! I think I'll use this pic for my september desktop http://www.geocities.com/surficial_depth9/frostedhill.jpg .

Anyways if you want to get away from geocities I recommend

www.7blade.com.

The prices are not bad for starter web sites.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 30, 2004, 03:36 AM
I have taken so many photos, it's scary I think. I made this website all by myself (best viewed with Safari of course ;)) Check it out. The URL is in my sig.

Congrats, you have really some great pictures on your site.

As others already mentioned - it would be great if you arrange them in galeries. If you use a Mac you can download gallery - a freeware app very useful to create galeries.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge