Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
My wife has an App (Wine Enthusiast Guide) and today it popped up with a dialog box that told her that the wine guide expired and to please visit the iTunes store to update to the latest version. When I checked to make sure it did not just need an update and it told me all apps are up to date. I check and she had purchased the app in July for $4.99 so it was not a light or trial version. The apps is not useless since it just shows the dialog box and then closes the app and she has wine lists and data that she cannot get to. Does anyone else have this app or know of any other app that has expired?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
My wife has an App (Wine Enthusiast Guide) and today it popped up with a dialog box that told her that the wine guide expired and to please visit the iTunes store to update to the latest version. When I checked to make sure it did not just need an update and it told me all apps are up to date. I check and she had purchased the app in July for $4.99 so it was not a light or trial version. The apps is not useless since it just shows the dialog box and then closes the app and she has wine lists and data that she cannot get to. Does anyone else have this app or know of any other app that has expired?

The NY Times Crossword puzzle app pulled a similar trick. Lots of people bought it thinking it would work forever, but after a certain date it stopped fetching new puzzles off the web (and, in some cases, old puzzles stopped working).

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008

As far as I know is against Apple's TOS for apps on the store. I would start by contacting the developer to see what's going on. Surely there's some sane explanation (i.e. it's some sort of mistake).

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
As far as I know is against Apple's TOS for apps on the store. I would start by contacting the developer to see what's going on. Surely there's some sane explanation (i.e. it's some sort of mistake).

Apps can "expire" in the sense that they stop getting updates (including data updates) after some period of time.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Apps can "expire" in the sense that they stop getting updates (including data updates) after some period of time.

That would be fine with me as long as the app would still work with old data but this app is disabled and cannot be used.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well, I just looked at the description on itunes, and there is nothing about the purchase being time-limited.

If I were you I'd definitely contact Apple and demand a refund.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Well, I just looked at the description on itunes, and there is nothing about the purchase being time-limited.

If I were you I'd definitely contact Apple and demand a refund.

I might have to do that. I think I will wait a few days incase it was an error made by the developer.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Looks like they fixed the problem since I was able to update the app without having to pay again.

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008

Right but time bombed apps that intentionally stop working after some trial period aren't allowed.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Right but time bombed apps that intentionally stop working after some trial period aren't allowed.

They are if they allow in-app purchases so you can purchase more time for the app to function. The networked GPS apps do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.