Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CathMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
I am trying to install Photoshop CS4 on a MacBook Air running OS X 10.5.8
The error message is the application Setup quit unexpectedly and then when I choose Report there is a long message and at the end:

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/asneu.framework/Versions/A/asneu
Referenced from: /Users/catherine/Desktop/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/Setup
Reason: image not found

I have contacted Apple and Adobe. Apple say it should run OK and Adobe after lots of suggestions, none of which worked have stopped responding. It's very frustrating not to be able to use Photoshop on my lovely laptop and it surely must be possible ... any ideas?
Thanks

Catherine

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I can tell you its definitely Adobe and not your laptop as a co-worker has it running on their air.

Adobe did a TERRIBLE job with CS3 and CS4 and the installer for CS4 constantly wreaks havok.

Unfortunately once you try and install it it leaves pieces all over the place that appzapper and appcleaner can't even find. You may end up having to do what I did and reinstall the OS then reinstall cs4 first : /

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Not sure if this will work, but it's worth a try. The installers for Adobe suck, and sometimes they screw up. The following strategy worked for me on a similar problem with PS elements.

(1) There is a cleaner program on adobe's website, I think it's a shell script. Run that. (Warning - this will get rid of other adobe stuff too.)

(2) Create a new user with admin privileges, log in as that user, then run the installer.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I have photoshop CS4 installed on my air without any problems. Though, adobe's installer has given me issues many times before.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I agree with Dave00. Many Adobe installers litter your disk with invisible files as part of their licensing and DRM scheme. If something gets corrupted it can be very difficult to fix without a complete wipe of the HD and the Adobe utility is a lot less work if it fixes the problem.

I had a similar issue with Acrobat once and it took a reformat/reinstall to fix the problem. One of the many reasons I avoid Adobe software if I can.

CathMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Thanks to everyone

Thanks for your suggestions and the information that the Adobe installer is the problem. I think I'll try the clean up and then install and let you know how I get on.
Catherine

CathMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
It worked!

Thanks for your suggestions and the information that the Adobe installer is the problem. I think I'll try the clean up and then install and let you know how I get on.
Catherine

I used the clean up and it loaded so I'm really pleased. However just to prove your points about how flawed Adobe products are, my license number was rejected though I copied it faithfully so Photoshop is running in trial mode. I have sent another case report to Adobe!

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Your experience helped my decision somewhat

I used the clean up and it loaded so I'm really pleased. However just to prove your points about how flawed Adobe products are, my license number was rejected though I copied it faithfully so Photoshop is running in trial mode. I have sent another case report to Adobe!

I just posted a New Thread "Coding in the Air ... Advice" .

One of my concerns were about the performance of PS & illustrator on the MacBook Air.

I'm not a fan of going out my Apple ecosystem, but I wanted to know from you, what type of use are you using with your MacBook Air?

Light? Moderate? Heavy?

I plan on using mine as a primary machine, with extensive coding use and moderate photography.

Glad to hear your issues were solved. Hopefully Aperture X will integrate some things that will make users less dependent on Adobe Photoshop.

iDisk

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.