PDA

View Full Version : the "i" in all things Mac...

Natalia81
Aug 12, 2004, 08:17 PM
I'm just wondering...does anyone know why mac products are always "i"-something??

musicpyrite
Aug 12, 2004, 08:37 PM
There are many thread on this already. Next time make sure you do a search before posting. ;) :rolleyes:

It first started with the iMac, which meant internet-Mac. The 3G iMac was primarily used for get first-timers on the the internet.

As far as the iPod, iBook, etc. I have no idea, maybe Apple just though it sounded cool.

Elan0204
Aug 12, 2004, 08:45 PM
Yep, it orignally meant Internet. I guess the i caught on or became associated with Apple computers, so it started getting used on more and more products.

paxtonandrew
Aug 13, 2004, 03:24 AM
After the iMac, I have always been under the impression that the i stood for I (as in me, or consumer) which seems to fit. I have just always accepted this.

I hope this helps

Jo-Kun
Aug 13, 2004, 03:54 AM
i-series = consumer = white case design (since 2nd gen iMac & iBook)

:EDIT: and since the iPod is allso a consumer product -> White and with i (exception is the mini, but people think the i-series will evolve in that design direction when next-gen is coming out...)
allso the iSight is an exception since they made it in Aluminium :EDIT:

e-series = education (but became part of the i-series since they sell them to anyone...) = allso white case design

Power-series = professional use wich means more powerfull processors in most of the cases, monitor stretching as an option to only mirroring in the i/e-series, more expandable, better screens on the -books compatible with Cinemadisplays... that kind of stuff... = aluminium design (or Ti for early G4 Pbooks or grey/metallic plastic for G4 desktops)

:EDIT:the old displays were white plastic indeed, but they were designed when the PowerMac desktops were plastic too... :EDIT: