PDA

View Full Version : Apple Collectors, eh? Well...

Forced Perfect
Aug 14, 2004, 05:42 AM
It wouldn't be a party without my collection:

Desktops/PowerBooks:
Apple IIe
Macintosh IIci (x2)
Macintosh IIfx
Macintosh IIsi
Macintosh Centris 650
Macintosh Classic
Macintosh SE
Macintosh LC
Macintosh LC II
Macintosh LC III
Macintosh LC 475
Macintosh LC 575
Macintosh Performa 400
Macintosh Performa 475
Macintosh Performa 580CD
Macintosh Performa 635CD
Macintosh Performa 6200CD
Macintosh Quadra 605
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Quadra 630
Macintosh Quadra 650 (x2)
Macintosh Quadra 950
Workgroup Server 8150
20th Anniversary Macintosh (TAM)
Power Macintosh 7100/66
Power Macintosh 7100/80AV
Power Macintosh 7200/90
Power Macintosh 7200/120
Power Macintosh 7500/100
Power Macintosh 8500/120
Power Macintosh 8500/180
Power Macintosh G4 400MHz (AGP Graphics) (x2)
Macintosh PowerBook 100
Macintosh PowerBook 140
Macintosh PowerBook 150 (x3)
Macintosh PowerBook 180
Macintosh PowerBool 190
Macintosh PowerBook 540c
Macintosh PowerBook 5300c
Macintosh PowerBook 5300cs
Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230
Macintosh PowerBook Duo 280c
Macintosh PowerBook Duo 2300c

Newtons:
Apple Newton MessagePad (OMP Newton OS 1.0)
Apple Newton MessagePad 100 (Newton OS 1.3)
Apple Newton MessagePad 110 (Newton OS 1.2 updated to 1.3)
Apple Newton MessagePad 120 (Newton OS 2.0/2MB memory version)
Apple Newton MessagePad 130 (Newton OS 2.0)

Other Stuff: (all original Apple-made stuff)
Apple QuickTake 100
Apple QuickTime Conferencing Kit + Camera 100
Apple SC40 HardDrive
AppleCD 150
AppleCD 600e (x2)
Apple iPod 10GB (Touchwheel)
Apple Geoport Telecom Adapter (x2)
Apple Newton Battery Pack Recharger + Rechargeable Battery Pack
Apple Newton Fax Modem (external version) (x2)
Apple NuBus Ethernet Card (x2)
Apple NuBus Serial Card
Macintosh II Video Card (x2)
Macintosh II Workstation/Portrait Video Card
Macintosh Display Card 824
QuickTime Conferencing ISDN Kit
Apple 100Mhz PC Compatibility card (12" PCI)
Apple Ethernet PCI 10Base-T/10Base-2/AAUI Card
Apple QuickDraw 3D Accelerator card
Apple Power Macintosh Upgrade Card
Apple Ethernet LC PDS Card (x3)
Apple Ethernet LC Twisted-Pair Card
Apple MPEG Media System
Apple TV/Video System
Macintosh IIci Cache Card
Apple Color StyleWriter 2200
Apple Color StyleWriter 2400
Apple ImageWriter II (with autosheet feeder)
Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS
Apple StyleWriter II
Apple StyleWriter 1200
Apple Scanner (the first one)
Apple AirPort
Apple AirPort Base Station (Graphite)
AppleDesign Powered Speakers
Apple Duo Dock II (x2)
Apple Duo Dock Plus
Apple TechStep Diagnostic Tool

And more on my site!

Photos and write ups on most of these items are on my website:

http://hotline.kicks-ass.net

stevehaslip
Aug 14, 2004, 07:19 AM
You must have a whole house full of macs! :eek: thats a serious collection there, did you have to get it insured?

Wes
Aug 14, 2004, 07:25 AM
I can see it now... Steve is in his hospital bed thinking about the forthcoming iMac G5 release when he has a thought and calls the step-in CEO. "Yeah Hi, Tim, It's Steve, remember to save a new iMac for that sucker who buys every product we ever make."

Forced Perfect
Aug 14, 2004, 07:35 AM
I probably should.

Then again, that'd cost money - something I don't have. hehe

Still, it's not a bad collection for a 21-year-old with no job.

Wes
Aug 14, 2004, 07:36 AM
Are these all functional?

Forced Perfect
Aug 14, 2004, 07:44 AM
Of course.

The only things that don't work at the moment are the Quadra 950, one of the PowerBook 150s and my iPod (all have dead motherboards that I'll replace next time I have some money.)

flyfish29
Aug 14, 2004, 08:06 AM
Just beware, if you have a fire, renters or homeowners insurance *=(if you even have any) will not cover computers past a few thousand dollars or so at the most. They have to be underwritten separately if you have a collection like this and it is a great collection probalby worth quite a bit of money. I would consider insuring just from the standpoint it might be worth a load of money some day...can't be too much to insure I wouldn't think, but who knows.

Forced Perfect
Aug 14, 2004, 08:13 AM
In case of fire, smother with iMac restore CDs.

At least my room is so full there isn't much room for the oxygen needed to support a fire large enough to take out my collection. hehe

jsw
Aug 14, 2004, 08:33 AM
So, apparently, Macs have an even smaller market share - seeing as though you own half of them. ;)

Forced Perfect
Aug 14, 2004, 08:35 AM
I do my best.

All I need now is a nice ground-level shop, and money to support it and I'll have a nice, public Apple museum.

Anyone willing to support that? It might take a lot of banner clicks on my web site, though. hehe

RobTheGob
Aug 15, 2004, 11:24 PM
Nice collection, but you're missing a couple that I've got! Perhaps I missed them on your list?

Quadra 840av?
Centris/Quadra 660av?
PowerMac 6100? 6100av?
Apple III? ProFile 5MB Hard drives?

I need Newtons and a TAM...

I don't see much point insuring my old systems, they have little real world value... It's just like collecting trading cards as a kid - got it, got it, need it need it...

Forced Perfect
Aug 16, 2004, 01:37 AM
Nice collection, but you're missing a couple that I've got! Perhaps I missed them on your list?

Quadra 840av?
Centris/Quadra 660av?
PowerMac 6100? 6100av?
Apple III? ProFile 5MB Hard drives?

I need Newtons and a TAM...

I don't see much point insuring my old systems, they have little real world value... It's just like collecting trading cards as a kid - got it, got it, need it need it...

Well, I'm missing a lot of Macs. hehe

But those are good picks, I really want a Quadra 840/AV.

M-m-must try old version of Speech Recognition that can control menus and doesn't work on non-AV '040s.

kanaka
Aug 16, 2004, 02:25 AM
Wow! That's an awesome collection. I wish I still had my Apple IIc, which was my first Apple a loooong time ago. Unfortunately, I let my parents throw it away a few years ago :(

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 16, 2004, 02:45 PM
Wow! Where did you get all those and how much did it cost you? I imagine that you could get a decent amount from schools and businesses that are throwing them out. Where do you keep them all. My parents threw away a Macintosh SE and a Performa 550 to save space but we still have a powerbook 140.

RobTheGob
Aug 16, 2004, 09:39 PM
Well, I'm missing a lot of Macs. hehe

But those are good picks, I really want a Quadra 840/AV.

M-m-must try old version of Speech Recognition that can control menus and doesn't work on non-AV '040s.

The 840av is still one of my favourite Mac's. The combination of the fastest 68040 that Apple used with an onboard DSP adds up to major geek factor...

I really like the IIfx as well, but for some reason, I have a hard time keeping either of mine running.

I can remember reading all of the reviews back then and being awe struck on both of these machines. I can't believe that people toss these pieces of computing history away...

Forced Perfect
Aug 16, 2004, 11:07 PM
The 840av is still one of my favourite Mac's. The combination of the fastest 68040 that Apple used with an onboard DSP adds up to major geek factor...

I really like the IIfx as well, but for some reason, I have a hard time keeping either of mine running.

I can remember reading all of the reviews back then and being awe struck on both of these machines. I can't believe that people toss these pieces of computing history away...

Yeah I know, I remember being more interested in the 840/AV than the 8100/80 after reading my Apple Facts book when I was like, 11.

It made it sound like the Power Macs couldn't do any of the cooll A/V things the AV Quardas could do.

So what if that was a total lie!

mainstreetmark
Aug 16, 2004, 11:11 PM
I remember both of those. The AV was the first time I ever spoke to an inanimate object and expected it to do something I asked it. It was probably a milestone in my life. Like the first time someone used an incandescent light bulb in place of an oil lantern or drank a beer in a can without using a canopener.

The IIfx was like a ten thousand dollar computer, wasn't it? I saw it at some demo and was the first time I saw Photoshop in action. I couldn't even fathom the fact that they could zoom into a photograph and mess with people's hair and the like. This was during an era when the Tag Mahal and Egyptian sarcophagus were the best computer images I knew of (that would be Apple IIgs)

(Since I have no idea how to spell "sarcophagus", and OSX was clueless as well, I did the best I could, so I typed "egyptian sarcophocase" into Google, which then said I really meant to say "sarcophocus", which OSX was THEN able to correct to what I assume is the correct version, "sarcophagus". Google may have misled me on the spelling)

EminenceGrise
Aug 16, 2004, 11:13 PM
What, no Macintosh Portable? Tsk, tsk.... :)

AFAIK, it's the only portable Mac to get 6-12 hours of real battery life - in 1990 no less. Course, it also weighs about as much as a compact car.... at least it came with a carry case. Other bonuses: it had a real trackball (billiard ball sized) that could be moved for left or right handed use (or replaced with a numeric keypad!), and I think it's the only Mac I've ever seen with the Control key in the right place.

Forced Perfect
Aug 16, 2004, 11:24 PM
I remember both of those. The AV was the first time I ever spoke to an inanimate object and expected it to do something I asked it. It was probably a milestone in my life. Like the first time someone used an incandescent light bulb in place of an oil lantern or drank a beer in a can without using a canopener.

The IIfx was like a ten thousand dollar computer, wasn't it? I saw it at some demo and was the first time I saw Photoshop in action. I couldn't even fathom the fact that they could zoom into a photograph and mess with people's hair and the like. This was during an era when the Tag Mahal and Egyptian sarcophagus were the best computer images I knew of (that would be Apple IIgs)

(Since I have no idea how to spell "sarcophagus", and OSX was clueless as well, I did the best I could, so I typed "egyptian sarcophocase" into Google, which then said I really meant to say "sarcophocus", which OSX was THEN able to correct to what I assume is the correct version, "sarcophagus". Google may have misled me on the spelling)

Google never lies.

What, no Macintosh Portable? Tsk, tsk.... :)

AFAIK, it's the only portable Mac to get 6-12 hours of real battery life - in 1990 no less. Course, it also weighs about as much as a compact car.... at least it came with a carry case. Other bonuses: it had a real trackball (billiard ball sized) that could be moved for left or right handed use (or replaced with a numeric keypad!), and I think it's the only Mac I've ever seen with the Control key in the right place.

I think I might have a Portable trackball here, somewhere. But I haven't grabbed a whole one for my collection - yet.

Macmaniac
Aug 22, 2004, 10:16 PM
Could you post some pictures with as many turned on as possible that would be so sweet!!!

Forced Perfect
Aug 23, 2004, 06:44 AM
Could you post some pictures with as many turned on as possible that would be so sweet!!!

I'l see what I can do. It's kind of hot here and I have the AC on in my room.

15 amps for my total:
+ Old, power-sucking AC
+ Pile of Macs
That's never a good thing. Plus a lot of my Macs are disconnected to get ready to move.

At least my webcam is pointing at a few of them:

http://hotline.kicks-ass.net/webcam.html

Mark James
Aug 23, 2004, 06:47 AM
What, no Macintosh Portable? ... it had a real trackball (billiard ball sized)
Crystal Quest on the Portable rawked!

Forced Perfect
Aug 23, 2004, 08:12 AM
Crystal Quest on the Portable rawked!

Not as much as Realmz on my LC 575.