Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
Okay so here's the deal... I just got my new G5 dual 2.0, and I bought some extra RAM from Crucial to add in. I ordered the computer with the bare minimum amount of RAM I could get (512MB) and ordered 3 more 512MB sticks from Crucial. I opened it up and installed the RAM, all 3 sticks on one bank (out of two banks with four slots each), which would mean one bank was full and the other had 3 empty slots. I booted up and checked "About This Mac" and it listed it as still having only 512MB, even though I had just installed 1.5 Gigs extra. I double checked the documentation and realized that I had overlooked the fact that the RAM has to be installed in pairs of equal size, one per bank, from the center outward. Swearing and cursing and kicking myself I shut down the computer and pulled all the cords again, opened it back up and rearranged the RAM properly, leaving one stick out as it wasn't part of a pair. So now with two sticks in each bay, properly seated and paired, I booted back up and checked "About This Mac" and it still lists the computer as having only 512MB! I went to System Profiler and it lists the slots that now have the Crucial RAM in them as empty. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure many of you have installed RAM and know the ropes better than I do, and I would be eternally grateful for some insight into this problem.

Also out of curiosity, since RAM apparently has to be paired, does that mean I have to buy one more 512MB stick in order to use this other one that is not installed?

Thanks a lot in advance.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Ok, so your system came with 2x256MB of RAM. Have you tried taking the original RAM out and putting just a pair of Crucial RAM in? Since G5 requires pair RAM configuration, you'll have to order another stick of 512MB. Did you use the memory selector at Crucial.com? Hmmm... 2.5GB of RAM.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I had the exact same situation... same computer, same memory, and the same problem. However, I differ from you in being that I am an idiot so I am not sure if my solution will help you. Being the tard that I am, I was extra cautious about everything, including installing the RAM. When I first installed the memory, my computer didn't recognize it. When I shut down and opened the G5 back up, I noticed that the connectors on the ends of the slots with the pre-installed ram were pushed in further than the RAM I installed. Being that I was cautious, I initially did not push the sticks in hard enough. The second time I really pushed hard, despite my fear of breaking the memory sticks. This worked as I heard a "snap" when each stick was properly inserted. Make sure to place one hand on the un-opened side of the computer and push firmly with the other hand. I hope this helps, but I'm probably the only one stupid enough here to make these mistakes.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
The above poster has the likely solution. When installing RAM in my Powermac MDD I inserted it as far as I thought it would go, and I looked at the factory installed RAM and it was much further in, with a disconcerting amount of force I got my RAM in that 'deep' and it worked fine. If in doubt call, Crucial I hear they have great support!

If the RAM were fully inserted but was having issues I doubt Mac OS would have loaded without a kernel panic.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
n00bs. Ram needs to be installed in equal pairs in G5s, and yours takes pc3200. Pairing also requires that they be opposite each other, so the most inward slot on the top 4, one on the most inward slot on the bottom and so forth. If this isn't done, they won't register. Now, if you have done this with 2 chips, or got another 3200 512 to do it with four, and it still doesn't register, yo ueither have fried it or its bad. Contact crucial for replacement.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
2A Batterie said:
I had the exact same situation... same computer, same memory, and the same problem. However, I differ from you in being that I am an idiot so I am not sure if my solution will help you. Being the tard that I am, I was extra cautious about everything, including installing the RAM. When I first installed the memory, my computer didn't recognize it. When I shut down and opened the G5 back up, I noticed that the connectors on the ends of the slots with the pre-installed ram were pushed in further than the RAM I installed. Being that I was cautious, I initially did not push the sticks in hard enough. The second time I really pushed hard, despite my fear of breaking the memory sticks. This worked as I heard a "snap" when each stick was properly inserted. Make sure to place one hand on the un-opened side of the computer and push firmly with the other hand. I hope this helps, but I'm probably the only one stupid enough here to make these mistakes.

Hahaha -- aparently I'm an idiot as well, as I opened up my computer and realized I did the exact same thing, pushed it in HARD (we're talking like most of my body weight!) and it "snapped" into place.

Okay, problem solved. Thanks for the advice:)

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
eyeon said:
Hahaha -- aparently I'm an idiot as well, as I opened up my computer and realized I did the exact same thing, pushed it in HARD (we're talking like most of my body weight!) and it "snapped" into place.

Okay, problem solved. Thanks for the advice:)
:eek: Wow, I can't believe that I was right...hopefully I can type with these monkies flying out of my butt. It seems like you need to apply way more force than common sense would perscribe to in order to install the RAM. I let Apple know about it, but it probably just went over their head as they most likely were concocting some sort of new story about why the latest/greatest product won't be avaliable till 2007, despite initially estimating shipping for today.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Glad you got the problem fixed Eyeon. Turns out you're just being too soft on the RAM.
jimsowden said:
n00bs. Ram needs to be installed in equal pairs in G5s, and yours takes pc3200. Pairing also requires that they be opposite each other, so the most inward slot on the top 4, one on the most inward slot on the bottom and so forth. If this isn't done, they won't register. Now, if you have done this with 2 chips, or got another 3200 512 to do it with four, and it still doesn't register, yo ueither have fried it or its bad. Contact crucial for replacement.
stfu_n00b.jpg

Did you even read one of the posts before posting your own? There's no effing way all 3 sticks from crucial is bad.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
jimsowden said:
Match the numbers...

Memory Bank 1, 2, 3, & 4

The PowerMac G5 has 128-bit memory (which is why need to use a pair of 64-bit DIMMs every time.) It's not a choice... but a requirement.

PowerMac G5 Customer Installable Parts

Almost sounds like you had them all on one side. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.