PDA

View Full Version : Can't Sync Movies from iTunes to iPod Touch

downingp
Jan 6, 2010, 09:11 AM
I have several movies I have ripped using handbrake in iTunes and have had no problems watching the movies on an AppleTV I used to have. However, now I want to transfer some movies to an iPod Touch and I get an error message saying its not in the right format. When I look at the file description, all the movies are in M-PEG 4 format with the H.264 video codec. The file extension on all of my movies shows .m4v which I thought was the problem so I changed the extension of one of them to .mp4 and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions or helpful advice?

Thanks.

JediMeister
Jan 6, 2010, 11:48 AM
There's two different presets in Handbrake for iPhone/iPod touch and the AppleTV. They result in the same file format, but have data bitrates. On version 0.9.4, the iPhone/iPod touch bitrate is 960, the AppleTV is 2500; this will result in drastically different file sizes and may be a contributing factor to why you're unable to sync these files over. Generally files that are compatible with an iPhone/iPod touch are compatible with the AppleTV, the reverse is not always true.

iRawkMac
Jan 6, 2010, 08:41 PM
Instead of using Handbrake use iSquint which you can get for free here (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19769/isquint). I use it religiously and I've never had a problem getting the files to transfer to my iPod Touch at all.

downingp
Jan 6, 2010, 08:58 PM
I ended up reencoding a movie using the iphone/ipod touch presets within Handbrake and was able to sync with my ipod.