PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Car Kit - Am I missing something? iPhone won't fit

kepardue
Jan 7, 2010, 10:51 AM
I got the TomTom USA software because of the holiday sale as a backup GPS, which became my primary GPS on a recent trip after my old Garmin died. Not wanting to hold the phone in my hand the whole trip, I picked up the TomTom Car Kit at an Apple store.

Unfortuantely, I can't seem to be able to make the iPhone fit into it. All of the reviews say that the phone gently locks into place, but the only way I was able to get mine to fit was by forcing it, which subsequently cracked the black plastic casing at the top of the phone (no biggie I guess, this phone already has a crack in the screen and is rather scuffed up).

I don't have a case on the phone... just the stock iPhone 3G. I can't find a way to make the car mount give any to allow the phone to fit into it...

What gives??

EDH667
Jan 7, 2010, 11:55 AM
I have used both the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with no problem even with a slim barley there case attached to the iPhone. I'm assuming your car kit is for the iPhone and not for the iPod touch?

kepardue
Jan 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
Really, really frustratingly odd. I'll take a picture of it and upload it so you guys can see when I get home from the office this afternoon. I just can't understand what the deal is.

It is a 3G, btw.

gunzmaiet
Jan 7, 2010, 12:20 PM
im pretty sure u got the ipod touch kit accidentally

ngenerator
Jan 7, 2010, 12:38 PM
im pretty sure u got the ipod touch kit accidentally

QFT, the exact same thing happened to me. I called them up to let them know and they sent me the correct one right away

kepardue
Jan 7, 2010, 01:15 PM
Ugh, I wonder if that may in fact be the reason. I asked the lady at the Apple Store for the TomTom car kit, that's what she gave me. Bet I neglected to say "iPhone." D'oh!