Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
My 12" pb one day decided to act like the battery wasn't there anymore, I can't use it unless it is plugged to the wall, and when it is plugged in it shows an x where the battery indicater should be, so I called a couple friends with 12" pb's and tried their batteries and the same thing happened, so I called applecare and sent my pb to apple over the weekend and I get it back today with this response "Our analysis has determined that although your battery no longer has the capacity to function at a level necessary for the operation of your unit, it is not defective. I called them back to remind them that it is my pb and not my battery and was then instructed to purchase a new battery.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
upperblue79 said:
My 12" pb one day decided to act like the battery wasn't there anymore, I can't use it unless it is plugged to the wall, and when it is plugged in it shows an x where the battery indicater should be, so I called a couple friends with 12" pb's and tried their batteries and the same thing happened, so I called applecare and sent my pb to apple over the weekend and I get it back today with this response "Our analysis has determined that although your battery no longer has the capacity to function at a level necessary for the operation of your unit, it is not defective. I called them back to remind them that it is my pb and not my battery and was then instructed to purchase a new battery.
Apple is telling you that your battery is old. When it is too old to keep a charge, you have to buy a new one. It would seem that normal aging and wear and tear are not covered under warranty.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
apple store genius desk?

i'd say if possible- bring it in?
or just call apple back and remind them that u sent it in b/c ur computer didn't work- not b/c of the battery

did u try ur battery in someone elses machine?
(i know u said u tried other batteries in your machine)

else does the machine work well?

try re-setting the power management unit?
this seems to be apple's favorite thing to tell people to do-- if something is acting fishy...

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
gallagb said:
i'd say if possible- bring it in?
or just call apple back and remind them that u sent it in b/c ur computer didn't work- not b/c of the battery

I called back and asked for a supervisor and she was shocked that nothing on my computer was done, and told me that I was correct in that my compuer does need to be repaired since it is not seeing a battery.

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
MisterMe said:
Apple is telling you that your battery is old. When it is too old to keep a charge, you have to buy a new one. It would seem that normal aging and wear and tear are not covered under warranty.

Actaully, I had a battery that was not keeping a proper charge last month and called apple and they promply sent me a new one which is the one giving me problems now, so they do send out batteries.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
upperblue79 said:
I called back and asked for a supervisor and she was shocked that nothing on my computer was done, and told me that I was correct in that my compuer does need to be repaired since it is not seeing a battery.

So you have to send your PB back again? Do you get anything free for their screw up, besides a battery?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Natalia81 said:
Do you get anything free for their screw up, besides a battery?
Naturally he will receive 1000 free iPod minis, 22,000 free songs on iTunes, and a gold plated house servant for his inconvenience. It's standard practice.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Horrortaxi said:
Naturally he will receive 1000 free iPod minis, 22,000 free songs on iTunes, and a gold plated house servant for his inconvenience. It's standard practice.
Could we trade the gold plated servant in for one with a Coppertone tan and silicone enhanced body instead?

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Natalia81 said:
So you have to send your PB back again? Do you get anything free for their screw up, besides a battery?

Maybe they can just fix it by keeping my broken 12" 800 mhz combo drive and sending me a working 15" 1.5 ghz superdrive, I mean, they wouldn't have to do the repairs at that point, correct? I'm looking out for the welfare of apple, they can save money. LOL (and I know it would cost more to exchange it out, I was just kidding.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.