Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoolHotCold

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Seeing as it's all but announced and the leak comes from a intel training site.
http://gizmodo.com/5447089/intel-promotion-leaks-core-i5-macbook-pro-update

It seems that i5's are headed towards MacBook Pro's in time for Apples 26/27th announcement.

(note, I've checked with my Intel Retail Edge account and it is legit)
Start the specification rumors !

-----
It might be one giant mistake through Intel, but i doubt it, Time to cancel those orders

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Intel Promotion Appears to Reveal Forthcoming Core i5-Based MacBook Pro

Spanish site faq-mac.com reports [Google translation] that chipmaker Intel has sent an e-mail to members of its Intel Retail Edge program touting a chance for participants to win one of two MacBook Pro notebooks based on Intel's new Core i5 processors during the month of January. Apple's MacBook Pro line currently utilizes Intel Core 2 Duo processors.

093818-intel_retail_edge_i5_mbp.jpg

Other sources have confirmed that similar promotional e-mails have gone out to program participants in the United States and United Kingdom. Intel's Retail Edge Program is targeted at employees of retail stores that offer Intel-based products for sale, and offers them training opportunities to increase their knowledge of Intel products as well as contests and special discounts.

Early benchmarks have shown the Core i5 processors to hold significant performance advantages over the Core 2 Duo line, with similar battery life for systems based on the two lines. As noted by our Buyer's Guide, the MacBook Pro is nearing the end of its typical lifecycle, having last been updated in June 2009.

Apple is reportedly scheduled to be holding a media event in San Francisco at the end of this month, where it is widely expected that the company will introduce its long-anticipated tablet device. It is unknown whether Apple would also take that opportunity to introduce revised notebook offerings or if it would do so at a separate time.

Article Link: Intel Promotion Appears to Reveal Forthcoming Core i5-Based MacBook Pro

Irosaki

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
Sunderland, UK
As I will be using my Macbook Pro for programming I dont really mind what happens with the graphics. Ofc it would be really nice if intel kick out a custom arrandale for the MBP so we dont get stuck with that damn Integrated....thing.... I dont wanna imagine 1920x1200 running anything on that chip.

Hopefully a 5xxx ati card will be the discrete option on the 17", I know the iMac got a 4xxx series but that was pre-2010 :)

I will be getting 8GB RAM on it as its more than enough for my use and I plan on keeping this laptop until after the "sandy bridge generation" so the option for a future 16GB upgrade would be very nice.

Now I know the i5 is being drafted for the new MBP I am definately waiting until the refresh. Hyperthreading rules.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Not bad, How do we enter that prixe draw then :p thats what i want to know,

Have you noticed it looks alot darker that the current model?

Maybe thaty are listening to people who want the black macbook back!

CoolHotCold

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
applemike
I do believe they are just Stock images taken from the apple site.
And it turns out (according to the Intel training) the i5 should have Hyper Threading. (as well as Intel HD graphics)

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Hurry hurry! My new mbp gets delivered today, so I'm just at 14 days for return on event day...

accrama

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Something's wrong.

If you look at the complete image of the promo, there is something wrong with the MacBook Pro image (http://images.appleinsider.com/corei5-100113-2.png). It's the old model.

I would at least hope for Intel to put an image of a current model of the MBP, not something over a year old.:rolleyes:

How certain is this rumor?:confused:

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I was wondering the same. I'm so behind on graphics technology now.

It might be good enough for desktop compositing acceleration, but gaming will be dire. Still, it's an improvement over the previous generation (which Apple didn't use IIRC) apparently.

I expect Apple will be including mobile versions of AMD Redwood and Cedar GPUs alongside the i5s for graphics. The latter is the low-end 80SP product coming out very soon - will be faster than the 9400M. The former has 400SPs (HD5670) and is akin to an NVIDIA 9800GT. Maybe there will even be a product with a Juniper (800SPs - HD5770), but probably not a Cypress (1600SPs - HD5870).

Still, this is all but guaranteeing Core i5 in Apple laptops this month.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Perhaps the media event is to herald this exciting development, not the tablet at all.

This was actually my first thought when I read this. What if all this hype over the tablet announcement was for nothing but the MBP refresh? With all the tablet info "leaked" so far (albeit mostly contradictory), it'd be kind of funny to watch people go ape**** if there was no tablet info at this media event.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
The current MBP values are gonna drop like a rock when these babies hit.
A leap to a new performance plateau.

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Hurry hurry! My new mbp gets delivered today, so I'm just at 14 days for return on event day...

Why is it that you're following MacRumors yet you just bought an MBP? It seems like it's been obvious for at least a month or two that the MBPs would be refreshed in early 2010.

dont24

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
This was actually my first thought when I read this. What if all this hype over the tablet announcement was for nothing but the MBP refresh? With all the tablet info "leaked" so far (albeit mostly contradictory), it'd be kind of funny to watch people go ape**** if there was no tablet info at this media event.

Okay with me. Looking to buy my 1st Macbook Pro. Don't care about a tablet.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

Apple doesn't do media events for spec bumps. Major hardware changes (G5-->Intel, iPhone updates, new products) get media events.

CoolHotCold

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Take it with a pinch of salt as these figures are from Intels own training manuals. But comparing a i5 to a E5600 the speed boosts range from 2.7 times as fast upwards..... So yea, a Core 2 Duo has no chance to beat the i5's Especially as the i5 mobility are more power efficient then the Core 2 Duo's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.