Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightedIbis

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
I was wondering the same. I'm so behind on graphics technology now.

If it was just the IGP in the CPU it will be pretty far behind the 9400M from what I've been reading. The core i5 desktop lines can sometimes keep up with other IGP solutions from Nvidia. I wouldn't expect to game on it. I think they even showed that the desktop solution could barely handle WoW at low res. this was in the hothardware review of the original release of the desktop core i3 and core i5.

edmundo

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Yup. This is it. It's pretty obvious that the MBP's are getting Arrandales at this point. I say "ha!" to all the nay sayers. Are these Intel HD graphics as good as the 9400M?

It's pretty good (for an Intel IGP anyway) according to AnandTech's basic review of the i5-540m. Plus in non-CPU-intensive applications the graphics core can turbo. But no actual comparison with the 9400M. Apparently the graphics core is equivalent to AMD's IGPs so it should be acceptable, about on par with the 9400M.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
OH come on! I just got the 13" Pro for christmas. All I hope is that it doesn't get 512MB Dedicated Graphics and a new design. Come on god keep my computer in! LOL

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Touting 'HD' anything but still without Blu-ray playback in 2010 = fail, as far as I am concerned.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
The news isn't really surprising, I am more concerned about:

Where do I signup for the drawing???

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Edit: Reading it doesn't it not mean win a macbook pro with the launch of the i5 processor or does it mean win a macbook pro with the inclusion of the i5 processor?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Spanish site faq-mac.com reports [Google translation] that chipmaker Intel has sent an e-mail to members of its Intel Retail Edge program touting a chance for participants to win one of two MacBook Pro notebooks based on Intel's new Core i5 processors during the month of January.

Eh.....

That department of Intel wouldn't have any inside knowledge of Apple products. *VERY* few departments within Intel have any access at all to early Apple knowledge. It's probably just an educated guess.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I wouldn't put it past them to do a store down upgrade either the week before or the week after the event. I seem to remember updates in the last few years in the weeks after the MacWorld Keynote.

Otherwise we will see them alongside the alleged tablet event.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Please just let it have USB 3.0 and an option for Blu-Ray, although the latter I can do without.

I don't think USB 3.0 will be ready until next year. I'd also like to see them get rid of the DVD drive altogether and add either more battery capacity or a second hard drive.

As for this update, hopefully Apple will add a low end dedicated card to the 13" MBP.

Digitaldruglord

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Just watch out if you are buying a new Macbook pro, Apple always have a way of not announcing something in Jan only to do it a few months later in june.

They release the iPhone, you say to yourself "wow I wish I could have that without the phone." You force yourself to pay the $600 for the iPhone only to have them release the iTouch a few months later.

I want to buy a new Macbook, but will wait until June when I know it's safe.

No they are not even support openCL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL)
and 9400M is more than twice as fast
That would not make sense if they didn't support Open CL, because an older Mc would be better for SL than a newer one. Maybe Apple could write OpenCL drivers for the Intel HD graphics? There was just a rumor about OSX finalizing openGL support, so maybe they are also in the process of making these intel graphics support openCL?

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Eh.....

That department of Intel wouldn't have any inside knowledge of Apple products. *VERY* few departments within Intel have any access at all to early Apple knowledge. It's probably just an educated guess.

I understand what you're saying about people at Intel not knowing details of when Apple might release a new MBP, but wouldn't at least a few departments know if Intel has at least shipped mobile i5 processors to Apple in the past several months? Intel might not know exactly when said product would be released by Apple, but I'd venture to say that they'd know at least an approximation, based on the fact that they are a major supplier of components for the laptop line.

Digitaldruglord

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Please just let it have USB 3.0 and an option for Blu-Ray, although the latter I can do without.

I am still waiting for the built-in 5-1 card reader as every other laptop in the class has. Let's hope Apple does not come out looking like they are "losing it" by not including USB 3.0.

KnightedIbis

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
I don't think USB 3.0 will be ready until next year. I'd also like to see them get rid of the DVD drive altogether and add either more battery capacity or a second hard drive.

As for this update, hopefully Apple will add a low end dedicated card to the 13" MBP.

At CES several vendors (ASUS I know for sure, I think DELL too) had products lined up with USB 3.0. I know it's wishful thinking at this point, but I may just wait for another refresh if they don't get USB 3.0 as I'm certain it will be the new standard in music devices as well as external drives. :(

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I'd also like to see them get rid of the DVD drive altogether and add either more battery capacity or a second hard drive.

10000000% agree. That optical drive is such a waste of space for me. Now, the thought of fitting 2xSSDs in RAID0 in there instead........ :eek::eek::eek:

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
We sell now laptops with i3, i5, and i7 CPU's. Don't you think Apple will use the i7 cpu's for their macbook pro's? And the i5 for the macbook?

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Just watch out if you are buying a new Macbook pro, Apple always have a way of not announcing something in Jan only to do it a few months later in june.

They release the iPhone, you say to yourself "wow I wish I could have that without the phone." You force yourself to pay the $600 for the iPhone only to have them release the iTouch a few months later.

I want to buy a new Macbook, but will wait until June when I know it's safe.

Jan? June? Why speculate? Just wait until whenever they decide to update it. The current set hasn't been updated since June, Apple has never waited more than 9 months between MBP refreshes, and everyone's releasing new notebooks to take advantage of the significant performance gains of the Core i5/i7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.