PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Rolls Out Cheaper Unlimited Plans, iPhone Monthly Rate Drops $30

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 15, 2010, 04:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/15/atandt-rolls-out-cheaper-unlimited-plans-iphone-monthly-rate-drops-30/)

Responding to price cuts from Verizon, AT&T today rolled out new unlimited plans (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ATampT-Announces-New-prnews-1139458748.html?x=0&.v=1) for all devices on its network, including the iPhone. Under the new plans taking effect on Monday, iPhone customers can sign up for unlimited voice and data for $99.99 per month, although texting packages remain separate for an additional fee. The unlimited voice and data plan represents a $30 discount from the previous unlimited plan for the iPhone.All smartphone customers, including iPhone customers, may now buy unlimited voice and data for $99.99. For smartphone customers with Family Talk plans (prices assume 2 smartphones), unlimited voice and data is now available for $179.99. Texting plans remain unchanged at $20 for unlimited plans for individuals, $30 for Family Talk Plans.Existing customers will be permitted to change to the new plans as of Monday via AT&T's website, with no monetary penalty or extension to contract terms. It is unclear at this time whether there will be any adjustment to AT&T's non-unlimited plans to reposition its pricing tiers in relation to the new, lower unlimited price.

Article Link: AT&T Rolls Out Cheaper Unlimited Plans, iPhone Monthly Rate Drops $30 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/15/atandt-rolls-out-cheaper-unlimited-plans-iphone-monthly-rate-drops-30/)

theheadguy
Jan 15, 2010, 04:25 PM
AT&T is getting closer to what their service is worth. Although the texting plan remains at 99.9% profit, we'll have a lot of people here saying "oh, I only send three a four texts a month, so it doesn't matter to me."

azentropy
Jan 15, 2010, 04:28 PM
Competition is good.

Still hoping that we get a carrier choice in the US for the iPhone with the next revision. Never minded AT&T much as I had good service where I am. However, I'm moving shortly and the coverage at the new house (in Surprise, AZ) is horrible.

brendu
Jan 15, 2010, 04:28 PM
It is still a complete rip off... Sprint is the only one with a decent plan... Sure their cover coverage is lacking but if you are in a covered area its so much better, and SOOO much cheaper.. ATT and VZ are just screwing their customers... Why cant texting be included in their plan for 100 a month... 1200 a year and I still have to pay EXTRA to text... its RIDICULOUS!

strike1555
Jan 15, 2010, 04:34 PM
Laff. AT&T can't even handle limited minutes and data and now they are going to make it unlimited.

Oh well, competition is awesome when it works. Hopefully the next step will be to reign in the biggest theft of all: texting.

miles01110
Jan 15, 2010, 04:37 PM
AT&T is getting closer to what their service is worth. Although the texting plan remains at 99.9% profit, we'll have a lot of people here saying "oh, I only send three a four texts a month, so it doesn't matter to me."

Every texting plan remains at 99.9% profit.

TUD
Jan 15, 2010, 04:39 PM
Wasn't it a $130 per month for unlimited phone and data before? Per AT&T's website unlimited phone is $99.99, but it does not included unlimited data. Unlimited data = $30.00. So, it appears it is still the same.

NT1440
Jan 15, 2010, 04:40 PM
Laff. AT&T can't even handle limited minutes and data and now they are going to make it unlimited.

This seems like an almost knee jerk response from AT&T. Their network can't handle the load now, until their backbone is upgraded, yet they think this is a good idea on their part?

Le Big Mac
Jan 15, 2010, 04:40 PM
This is good, but the headline is misleading. It has nothing to do with the iPhone monthly rate. (other than if you have an iPhone you have AT&T and some of those customers have unlimited)

QCassidy352
Jan 15, 2010, 04:42 PM
Wasn't it a $130 per month for unlimited phone and data before? Per AT&T's website unlimited phone is $99.99, but it does not included unlimited data. Unlimited data = $30.00. So, it appears it is still the same.

It's unlimited voice and data for $99 total now. Now let's get those limited plan numbers down. Who needs unlimited when you have nights, weekends, AT&T wireless customers, and ten more free "A-list" numbers?

Small White Car
Jan 15, 2010, 04:43 PM
Per AT&T's website ... it appears it is still the same.

Existing customers will be permitted to change to the new plans as of Monday via AT&T's website.

Today is Friday.

shanmugam
Jan 15, 2010, 04:45 PM
1GB Limit - $10
5GB Limit - $20
Unlimited - $30

something like that...

other day i found out my iPhone 3G data usage is less than 100MB every month hmm ...

Scottsdale
Jan 15, 2010, 04:46 PM
That discount will make it almost worth keeping my iPhone even after I buy my iPod tablet device. I envision most people not needing smartphones anymore once they get used to a tablet.

Sure some people will want an iPhone and a tablet, but I had been considering just using a plain phone with a cheap plan and using my tablet for everything else.

But then anywhere we have our tablet with 3G, won't we have a bluetooth like "Magic Jack" that works with our tablet? Will we need an iPhone?

I really think the tablet will slowly eat into the iPhone revolution. Surely Apple realizes this and has a "plan" to make money off of us on the 3G service?

I guess if the iPhone service price is low enough, people will have an iPhone and an iPod tablet. This is a start for sure. $30 adds up to the full cost of the iPhone subsidization in just over a year. How is AT&T going to do this since they're already crying that the iPhone is losing them money?

Scottsdale
Jan 15, 2010, 04:47 PM
other day i found out my iPhone 3G data usage is less than 100MB every month hmm ...

Wow, you're really not using that very much then?

the-oz-man
Jan 15, 2010, 04:47 PM
1GB Limit - $10
5GB Limit - $20
Unlimited - $30

something like that...

But unlimited already equals 5GB ?!?

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 04:48 PM
1GB Limit - $10
5GB Limit - $20
Unlimited - $30

something like that...

Yes, that pricing would definitely be awesome if they somehow implemented it. One can dream can we?

My brother's usage is less than 300MB/month (only once has he peaked passed 400MB).

TUD
Jan 15, 2010, 04:48 PM
Today is Friday.

I read that, but it states the plan was rolled out today. I looked as a new customer, not an existing.

Edit: It doesn't really matter. I was just curious.

shanmugam
Jan 15, 2010, 04:49 PM

yup mainly Mail, weather, ESPN and some browsing ...

not much youtube or similar data consuming activities

yzp
Jan 15, 2010, 04:49 PM
when does Ted (Rogers™) will do the same thing for canada users??

I'm pissed of being ass-raped by him...

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 04:50 PM
But unlimited already equals 5GB ?!?

No... wrong, wrong, wrong... wrong, wrong wrong wrong....

5GB is the cap limit for all Data Card or Laptop Connect users. All Smartphones have true unlimited plans.

ghostface147
Jan 15, 2010, 04:50 PM
Hmm, I'll be switching to that new price plan. Now if we could just get tiered data.....

Digipimp
Jan 15, 2010, 04:51 PM
thats great but is there going to be lower pricing for those of us that arent using unlimited plans, or will the minutes be upped at the same current price?

striatedglutes
Jan 15, 2010, 04:51 PM
Sweet, so I'm still paying an arm and a leg for the most basic service and not even using half of it.

miles01110
Jan 15, 2010, 04:52 PM
5GB is the cap limit for all Data Card or Laptop Connect users. All Smartphones have true unlimited plans.

Unlimited in the sense that you can use your phone minus all the network outages. Those on limited plans can't argue about the service outages :p

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 04:53 PM
Unlimited in the sense that you can use your phone minus all the network outages. Those on limited plans can't argue about the service outages :p

Haven't been the victim of a data outage as of yet. So yeah, I see unlimited, and so do many others.

Mr. Zorg
Jan 15, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hmm. Closer, but I'm still cheaper on the family plan I'm on. Throw in texting and tethering as part of that $179 and you got a deal...

shanmugam
Jan 15, 2010, 04:55 PM

i did a quick check not even 30MB !!! tiered data plan will be awesome for customers like me :rolleyes:

miles01110
Jan 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
Haven't been the victim of a data outage as of yet. So yeah, I see unlimited, and so do many others.

You can never experience unlimited data use. You just haven't been capped yet.

MikhailT
Jan 15, 2010, 04:58 PM

Majority of people have less than 500mb of usage because of the Wifi at work and home. People who are mostly road warriors or actually don't spend most 9-5 at the workplace (like field techs) are the one that uses more than 500mb.

JeffDM
Jan 15, 2010, 05:00 PM
No... wrong, wrong, wrong... wrong, wrong wrong wrong....

This is the first time in a long time I've heard anyone say there really is an unlimited data. Looking at the current terms, it looks like you may well be right.

But if you're going to be that emphatic about it, you might as well link to a source.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp#data

I know someone that goes over 5GB/mo on laptop connection too, they just haven't been enforcing it.

lokey
Jan 15, 2010, 05:02 PM
This means nothing. When carriers start dropping the price of data plans and stop raping everyone on text messages, then let me know.

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 05:07 PM
This is the first time in a long time I've heard anyone say there really is an unlimited data. Looking at the current terms, it looks like you may well be right.

But if you're going to be that emphatic about it, you might as well link to a source.

I know someone that goes over 5GB/mo on laptop connection too, they just haven't been enforcing it.

Thanks for the link, I was being lazy. In any case, AT&T does something with 5GB cap breakers, they charge them for extra KB I believe. However, the charge is really, really small.

In any case, iPhone Data plans are unlimited and have never been capped. A AT&T rep saying otherwise is full of BS.

bigjohn
Jan 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
I'm still good with my $39.99 450 minute plan.

January is half over and I've used 36 of my 450 available minutes.

(I have also used 249 of 1500 text messages and 225MB of data)

davidbrummy
Jan 15, 2010, 05:12 PM
That discount will make it almost worth keeping my iPhone even after I buy my iPod tablet device. I envision most people not needing smartphones anymore once they get used to a tablet.

Sure some people will want an iPhone and a tablet, but I had been considering just using a plain phone with a cheap plan and using my tablet for everything else.

But then anywhere we have our tablet with 3G, won't we have a bluetooth like "Magic Jack" that works with our tablet? Will we need an iPhone?

I really think the tablet will slowly eat into the iPhone revolution. Surely Apple realizes this and has a "plan" to make money off of us on the 3G service?

I guess if the iPhone service price is low enough, people will have an iPhone and an iPod tablet. This is a start for sure. $30 adds up to the full cost of the iPhone subsidization in just over a year. How is AT&T going to do this since they're already crying that the iPhone is losing them money?

People buy the iPhone because it fits in your pocket and your phone is the one device you always have on you. I am more interested to see who will buy the Tablet.

rockosmodurnlif
Jan 15, 2010, 05:13 PM
Are they going to adjust the rest of the rate plans?

swissmann
Jan 15, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm on T-Mobile and have 2 phones with unlimited Talk unlimited Text and unlimited Data for $120 ($60 per phone) and no contract. From what I read this same thing will cost $210 from AT&T. That's obviously a lot more money.

And no I'm not trying to start a debate about T-Mobile being better or coverage comparisons just saying it's cheaper and I like what I have.

jared_kipe
Jan 15, 2010, 05:15 PM
1GB Limit - $10
5GB Limit - $20
Unlimited - $30

something like that...

More like:
10MB - $10
100MB - $20
Unlimited - $30

Else practically everyone would get the 1GB for $10 option.
1GB is A LOT of data usage. Even at this pricing tier I think a good number of people could probably stay in that 100MB category without any real problems.

kgeier82
Jan 15, 2010, 05:19 PM

-----
If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service.
_------

Unless Im reading this wrong, at the 5GB cap, ATT has the "right" to charge on a per data usage, correct? Whether they inforce it or not is besides the point. This states otherwise.

Or am I blind? ALso interesting is the last sentence, where att has to provide you with notice, then you can terminate...but what about the ETF :)

I'm on T-Mobile and have 2 phones with unlimited Talk unlimited Text and unlimited Data for $120 ($60 per phone) and no contract. From what I read this same thing will cost $210 from AT&T. That's obviously a lot more money.

And no I'm not trying to start a debate about T-Mobile being better or coverage comparisons just saying it's cheaper and I like what I have.

You get what you pay for. Ive had a Nexus One for 5 days now, with that same plan, and its going back. THe 3G, and EVEN the edge service is very spotty. This in the baltimore area, even up and down 95. I dont think so.

THX1139
Jan 15, 2010, 05:20 PM
Good timing. I'm in the market for a new cellphone plan because I'm paying too much for what little service I'm getting. I rarely talk on the phone but like to text. Most of the cheaper plans you have to pay additional for texting and then you are paying for phone minutes that are not used. I have over a thousand roll-over minutes and a couple hundred set to expire this month. In the meantime, I'm paying extra for texting. Doesn't make sense! I've been looking at tracfone as a no contract pay as you go solution. The problem is they don't have very many phones to choose from.

MacFly123
Jan 15, 2010, 05:21 PM

Oh well, competition is awesome when it works. Hopefully the next step will be to reign in the biggest theft of all: texting.

Yup! EXPLAIN TO ME WHYYYY TEXTS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN DATA USAGE AT&T!!! I'll tell you why... Because you simply decided, and want to make more money! :mad: :rolleyes:

That is the biggest thing that pisses me off about my iPhone plan!

Takuta-Nui
Jan 15, 2010, 05:24 PM
Oh my goodness, I had no idea it was so expensive in the US! I live in Canada and the 3G plan is $100 monthly. My 500MB plan is only $50 per month. Whew. Guess there are some benefits to a closed competitive environment!

Nermal
Jan 15, 2010, 05:26 PM
1GB is A LOT of data usage. Even at this pricing tier I think a good number of people could probably stay in that 100MB category without any real problems.

I'm inclined to agree. I use tethering and still use far less than 1 GB!

mahen
Jan 15, 2010, 05:27 PM
Are they going to adjust the rest of the rate plans?

I am on 1400 min family plan paying $80 for the primary line. Now my profile in AT&T website shows my plan to be $60.

Update: Never mind...that $60 includes my workplace discount. :-(

currentinterest
Jan 15, 2010, 05:30 PM
Just checked, Last month my plan indicates about 500 MB data a month. I was surprised it was so low.

valkraider
Jan 15, 2010, 05:32 PM

Ditto!

I have two 1st gen iPhones on TMobile, and I pay $120 a month for unlimited data, voice, and text. ($60 per phone) with no contract.

My coverage has been perfectly fine for our purposes, we have been on TMobile for five years now...

Now for Apple to release an iPhone with the 3G radio capable of using TMobile 3G - and I would be set!!! I had thought about a Nexus 1 or a Motorola android phone to get the 3G speeds but I just don't like them compared to the iPhone. The iPhone OS is so much better and the iPhone apps are way way way better.

This new ATT offering is a step in the right direction, but would still cost me $90 a month more!!!

Come on Apple and TMobile. Get together! :). My 2.5 year old iPhones are getting long in the tooth!

Xibalba
Jan 15, 2010, 05:33 PM
Bummer - This "new rate" is no cheaper for my wife and I both with iphones, 1400 mins, and unlimited data and text. Although I keep thinking of changing to the 700 min plan as we currently have just over 14,000 rollover minutes...(prob need to explain that crazy number - her family is on AT&T and we both work as physicians and have no time to talk during the day anyways)

theheadguy
Jan 15, 2010, 05:36 PM
Every texting plan remains at 99.9% profit.That was the point; the fact that there is any texting plan at all is ridiculous.

bit density
Jan 15, 2010, 05:38 PM

My pockets are not that big. There are tons of times that I want a rich internet experience, but want nothing bigger than a phone. And its an ipod too.

I envision that there is very very little overlap between a tablet and a smartphone. The overlap will be between a laptop and a tablet.

We shall see.

To Cowtown
Jan 15, 2010, 05:41 PM
Bummer - This "new rate" is no cheaper for my wife and I both with iphones, 1400 mins, and unlimited data and text. Although I keep thinking of changing to the 700 min plan as we currently have just over 14,000 rollover minutes...(prob need to explain that crazy number - her family is on AT&T and we both work as physicians and have no time to talk during the day anyways)

If you switch to a lower-minute plan, you lose all rollover minutes except for the number of minutes you get per month on your new plan. So if you switch to the 700 minute plan, you lose all but 700.

kdarling
Jan 15, 2010, 05:42 PM
Yup! EXPLAIN TO ME WHYYYY TEXTS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN DATA USAGE AT&T!!! I'll tell you why... Because you simply decided, and want to make more money! :mad: :rolleyes:

Because texts are not the same as sending data over a data connection.

Texts are tiny phone calls and thus are charged pretty much like a minimum one minute call.

Therefore what you should be asking is: why aren't texts included in unlimited calling.

ivladster
Jan 15, 2010, 05:45 PM

Did you read the article? MONDAY! As in MONDAY!

shanmugam
Jan 15, 2010, 05:47 PM
why would two of the biggest telecom companies reduce price? may be iPhone on t-mobile?

stockcerts
Jan 15, 2010, 05:50 PM
If you're a customer now does this mean you can still have unlimited data for a lesser price?

jocamero
Jan 15, 2010, 05:53 PM
Nermal, how did you get a history of your data usage? Did you have to manually gather that data from each bill?

kgeier82
Jan 15, 2010, 05:55 PM

I was just told ANYTIME you switch plans, rollovers go bye bye.

MikhailT
Jan 15, 2010, 05:59 PM
I was just told ANYTIME you switch plans, rollovers go bye bye.

I read somewhere that the rollovers are only up to the plan that's being switched to.

Meaning if you're switching from 1400 to 700 min plan, you can only bring over 700 min as rollover.

MikhailT
Jan 15, 2010, 06:01 PM
why would two of the biggest telecom companies reduce price? may be iPhone on t-mobile?

Competition. They match up any time that one of the telecom change something and NOT always in a good direction. Last time I remember, one of the telecom raised the txt rate to 20/30 cent and the rest of the industry followed it as well.

Frisco
Jan 15, 2010, 06:01 PM
I am happy with my Nexus One. It's the best phone I ever used. The Nexus makes the iPhone look like it's from the 60s.

kgeier82
Jan 15, 2010, 06:05 PM
I am happy with my Nexus One. It's the best phone I ever used. The Nexus makes the iPhone look like it's from the 60s.

I agree to a point. But at the end of the day, ATT coverage for me is just plain better than TM. The nexus one should bebetter than the 3gs, its 6months newer!

Still, there are things that killed it for me. The network, the music player, and the fact it only came with 4GB (which I knew before I bought but still).

ArrowSmith
Jan 15, 2010, 06:13 PM
Phone companies rip us off on everything. Even for my basic landline with caller ID and no long distance I'm paying $35/month. FFS - we need a free market here!

Cougarcat
Jan 15, 2010, 06:17 PM
1GB Limit - $10
5GB Limit - $20
Unlimited - $30

something like that...

If they do this, I will buy an iPhone yesterday.

SteveLV702
Jan 15, 2010, 06:19 PM
I'll be impressed when can get Unlimited Everything for $50/mo

shanmugam
Jan 15, 2010, 06:19 PM
If they do this, I will buy an iPhone yesterday.

other than USA, iPhone rate plan are much cheaper

though iPhone costs more you can get a cheaper monthly plan...

Frisco
Jan 15, 2010, 06:23 PM
I agree to a point. But at the end of the day, ATT coverage for me is just plain better than TM. The nexus one should bebetter than the 3gs, its 6months newer!

Still, there are things that killed it for me. The network, the music player, and the fact it only came with 4GB (which I knew before I bought but still).

Good point. Once Apple updates the iPhone in June and with additional carriers (hopefully)--the iPhone should once again be the best.

TeamDNA
Jan 15, 2010, 06:26 PM
My data usage is around 5-6 GB per month... I tether all the time and stream movies and *****

skellener
Jan 15, 2010, 06:31 PM
why would two of the biggest telecom companies reduce price? may be iPhone on t-mobile?That's what I'm wondering. Doesn't T-Mobile offer unlimited everything for $50 a month?

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 06:33 PM

Texts are tiny phone calls and thus are charged pretty much like a minimum one minute call.

Therefore what you should be asking is: why aren't texts included in unlimited calling.

Mmmmm, no... Texts are not mini calls.

The Toddfather
Jan 15, 2010, 06:34 PM
Anyone else think they may be doing this because of a Verizon iPhone announcement at the end of the month?

Papajohn56
Jan 15, 2010, 06:34 PM

Not true at all. Texts are sent by piggybacking on carrier signals, and MMS is standard data.

Also, what price cuts from verizon? This is good news. I'm on verizon and don't plan on switching. AT&T's network blows.

alent1234
Jan 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
It is still a complete rip off... Sprint is the only one with a decent plan... Sure their cover coverage is lacking but if you are in a covered area its so much better, and SOOO much cheaper.. ATT and VZ are just screwing their customers... Why cant texting be included in their plan for 100 a month... 1200 a year and I still have to pay EXTRA to text... its RIDICULOUS!

Because then someone is going to write an SMS app that will overload the control channel

cdfarrar

I have the same plan.....Could not ask for more!

NeuralControl
This is surprising and pleasant news. However, I would like to see AT&T lower the prices of their other plans as well. I am currently on a T-Mobile family plan and we are out of contract, paying month by month. If AT&T can make an enticing offer for unlimited data, unlimited text, and ~700 minutes on a family plan for $110, I am sold and switching providers. We will see what they choose to do before the summer and the iPhone launch.

skellener
Jan 15, 2010, 06:36 PM

Therefore what you should be asking is: why aren't texts included in unlimited calling.I just had AT&T completely turn off texts. No incoming, no outgoing. With an iPhone, I can make a call, send an email or use IM. No need for texting. No need for extra charges tacked on.

Cynicalone
Jan 15, 2010, 06:38 PM
$179.99 for the iPhone family plan without texting. So $209.99 for 2 iPhone's with unlimited everything*. Right now I'm on the 900 minute plan with 2 iPhones and unlimited texting for $179.99 so if I needed the additional minutes it would be a pretty good deal.

*Unlimited meaning the 5GB cap on data of course. :rolleyes:

racer1441
Jan 15, 2010, 06:38 PM
I'm wondering if this isn't a step toward the tablet.

What if AT&T is the data provider for the tablet.....marketing, as far as now these customers can afford the data plan for the tablet and still pay what they were paying for just the Iphone?

alent1234
Jan 15, 2010, 06:39 PM
Phone companies rip us off on everything. Even for my basic landline with caller ID and no long distance I'm paying $35/month. FFS - we need a free market here!

$99 a month for cable triple play. Traditional phone service is too expensive to drop in price

MikhailT
Jan 15, 2010, 06:39 PM

Why don't you just switch to a voip service? I have and it only cost me 20$ a month for both local/long distance plus 60 min international free.

NeuralControl
Jan 15, 2010, 06:43 PM
$179.99 for the iPhone family plan without texting. So $209.99 for 2 iPhone's with unlimited everything*.

It just seems to be so outrageously overpriced with the text messaging plan. With taxes, that probably comes out to be at least $225 a month for two lines.

jared_kipe
Jan 15, 2010, 06:47 PM

Umm, the way I understand it, phone calls are not even phone calls anymore.
Calling is packetized and sent over the internet like a normal VoIP provider like Skype or Vontage.

This is much cheaper for the phone companies because of not having to use a switching service to have a physical limit to how many conversations can be going on at once, VoIP solutions have only theoretical limits based on the bandwidth and ping any particular tower can get.

If I remember correctly, 3G phones packetize that for you. Meaning your 3G phone sends "data" to the phone network that contains your voice, and the tower sends back "data" your phone interoperates as the other persons voice.

Older phones send the tower some kind of analog "voice" that the servers at the tower turn into "data" and away it goes.

So that sound you here when you get an old phone (or iphone with 3G turned off) when it gets near speakers is the sound (TDMA interference) of you costing ATT more money per call.

Macsterguy
Jan 15, 2010, 06:49 PM
I have been on an unlimited plan from the very beginning...

I just want to be able to place and receive calls without drops...

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 06:49 PM
Umm, the way I understand it, phone calls are not even phone calls anymore.
Calling is packetized and sent over the internet like a normal VoIP provider like Skype or Vontage.

This is much cheaper for the phone companies because of not having to use a switching service to have a physical limit to how many conversations can be going on at once, VoIP solutions have only theoretical limits based on the bandwidth and ping any particular tower can get.

If I remember correctly, 3G phones packetize that for you. Meaning your 3G phone sends "data" to the phone network that contains your voice, and the tower sends back "data" your phone interoperates as the other persons voice.

Older phones send the tower some kind of analog "voice" that the servers at the tower turn into "data" and away it goes.

So that sound you here when you get an old phone (or iphone with 3G turned off) when it gets near speakers is the sound (TDMA interference) of you costing ATT more money per call.

Don't worry he is dead wrong.

Macsterguy
Jan 15, 2010, 06:51 PM

I am glad you have justified your purchase...

marcre
Jan 15, 2010, 06:56 PM
is there any word on pricing for the other plans? I have the 450 and don't really need anymore than that. I'd love it if it went down.

strike1555
Jan 15, 2010, 06:57 PM
Don't worry he is dead wrong.

Actually, you're dead wrong. In fact, you have absolutely no clue on what you're talking about.

When data is blocked (even via APN changing), you still get SMS. Why? Because it utilizes the same control channels that are used to make a phone call.

Next time, before posting do some research instead of spouting off things you read in the internet. You sound like an old granny reading tabloids.

Darreners
Jan 15, 2010, 07:03 PM
I still don't understand how AT&T is considered a company. My life is Apple. I am on my Mac 24/7 and I have a YouTube Channel all about Apple products. I got the iPhone 3GS this Summer. AT&T decided to charge me $130 for the first week I got the iPhone and they told it was going to cost that much every month. Keep in mind, I had the cheapest plan that you can get with the iPhone. AT&T originally told me over the phone, whenever I was ordering the iPhone, that it was going to be around $60 a month. They more than doubled the monthly fee. On top of that they sent me a first monthly fee the first week I got the phone and called it the startup fee. When we called AT&T and asked about the charges, they told me a bunch of different fees which added up to $80, then they put me on hold and hung up. I got barely any service in my town that week that I did have the iPhone. My parents cancelled that first week because of the over charged bill. Apple going with AT&T is the biggest mistake Apple has ever made and hope they don't make the same mistake this June. I am a true Apple fan, I have had apple 3 models of the iPod Touch and I think they are great devices. AT&T is the main reason why everyone doesn't have the iPhone.

GregBulmash
Jan 15, 2010, 07:05 PM
With Sprint I get an unlimited data and text plan with 1400 minutes, free nights and weekends starting at 7, and free calling to any other cell phone 24/7, which is virtually unlimited because only calls to land lines during peak hours actually deduct from my 1400 plan minutes.

For two phones, that's $129. For the two-line "unlimited" plan with text on AT&T, it's $209.

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 07:05 PM
Actually, you're dead wrong. In fact, you have absolutely no clue on what you're talking about.

When data is blocked (even via APN changing), you still get SMS. Why? Because it utilizes the same control channels that are used to make a phone call.

Next time, before posting do some research instead of spouting off things you read in the internet. You sound like an old granny reading tabloids.

Oh my God, do you actually know how Text/SMS messages work? Do you? No, then sit down and quiet down. There is no point in embarrassing yourself.

strike1555
Jan 15, 2010, 07:06 PM
Oh my God, do you actually know how Text/SMS messages work? Do you? No, then sit down and quiet down. There is no point in embarrassing yourself.

Yes, I do. Clearly you don't, considering you just wrote two ad-hominem posts without any rebuttals at all.

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 07:10 PM
Yes, I do. Clearly you don't, considering you just wrote two ad-hominem posts without any rebuttals at all.

Ok, then clearly explain how you think they work. I for one already know. Oh you wish to know?

Well, Text messages piggyback on top of the same signal used to determine how many bars your mobile should display. That is why SMS/Texts are limited to 160 characters (well 128 when SMS was developed, but the scientist behind SMS thought 160 was perfect, in the end he got it). In other words, SMS/Texts piggy back on your phone power signal and end up costing the carrier next to nothing.

Hence you see all those posts saying texts are still 99.9% profit, because in reality they are.

Now does that help your small mind? Does it?

law guy
Jan 15, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm just struck by how expensive $1200 a year is for the service. I like having email on my phone as long as it's a corporate IT benefit, but I couldn't see paying that much for personal use.

SandynJosh
-----
You get what you pay for. I've had a Nexus One for 5 days now, with that same plan, and its going back. THe 3G, and EVEN the edge service is very spotty. This in the baltimore area, even up and down 95. I dont think so.

You better be sitting down when you get the news of what it's going to cost you to get out of the plan and return your Nexus One. It's about $550, I hear.

jav6454

Yes the sound of you being wrong... you don't need to respond, like I said. Don't embarrass yourself.

Illusion986
Jan 15, 2010, 07:22 PM
Too bad the battery will never last enough to make the plan worth it. :rolleyes:

strike1555
Jan 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
Ok, then clearly explain how you think they work. I for one already know. Oh you wish to know?

Well, Text messages piggyback on top of the same signal used to determine how many bars your mobile should display. That is why SMS/Texts are limited to 160 characters (well 128 when SMS was developed, but the scientist behind SMS thought 160 was perfect, in the end he got it). In other words, SMS/Texts piggy back on your phone power signal and end up costing the carrier next to nothing.

Hence you see all those posts saying texts are still 99.9% profit, because in reality they are.

Now does that help your small mind? Does it?

LOL, I died laughing at this post. You just proved me and Kdarling are right by your definition. See your bold and compare it to my post:

Except I don't use words like 'piggybacking' because I don't have to copy/paste from websites like howstuffworks or ehow, like your entire post was. Bahhaahha, plagiarism fail. As for the 99.9% profit, see my first post.

Now that I have completely torn your argument to shreds, I suggest you leave this thread before you dig yourself even further into the ground.

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 07:26 PM
LOL, I died laughing at this post. You just proved me and Kdarling are right by your definition. See your bold and compare it to my post:

Except I don't use words like 'piggybacking' because I don't have to copy/paste from websites like howstuffworks or ehow, like your entire post was. Bahhaahha, plagiarism fail. As for the 99.9% profit, see my first post.

Now that I have completely torn your argument to shreds, I suggest you leave this thread before you dig yourself even further into the ground.

I don't copy/paste plagiarize... I know it because I study it. Electric Engineering with concentration in communications at University of New Orleans... so, I don't need to plagiarize, I already know.

Also, Kdarling said texts are a call, which they are NOT.

Just proved you wrong.

JohnDoe98
Jan 15, 2010, 07:28 PM

or 30$ is what they will charge to tether your plan to your itablet?

zorinlynx
Jan 15, 2010, 07:30 PM
Text messaging limits need to die. AT&T needs to join this decade.

There's no reason to limit text messages anymore. They use barely a pinprick of network capacity.

Analog Kid
Jan 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
I suggest you leave this thread before you dig yourself even further into the ground.
Just proved you wrong.

Might I introduce you both to the private message function of these forums? It would allow you to bicker amongst yourselves without the rest of us needing to wade through it...

JohnDoe98
Jan 15, 2010, 07:33 PM
Why don't you just switch to a voip service? I have and it only cost me 20$ a month for both local/long distance plus 60 min international free.

But then why bother with that? Why not simply use Google Voice and Gizmo and get all that for 0$ a year and that includes free texting

neutrino23
Jan 15, 2010, 07:37 PM
To those expecting to see just the ads they like, I don't think it will happen. That is largely the point of advertising, to contact new customers. If I'm paying for ads I need to keep my name in front of existing customers somewhat to keep them interested. I also need to put my name in front of new customers to grow my business and to replace customers who stop using my product.

Less intrusive ads sound good but people only pay for ads if you look at them.

Apple is extremely unlikely to retroactively start running ads in things like OS X or the iPhone. There is the distinct possibility that there could be ad supported versions of this in the future. Hardware prices are dropping radically. Hand held calculators used to cost over $500. Now you get them for free with an ad printed on them. This is the future of the computer. Not that there won't be higher performance computers you'd pay for, but that you could get a low end machine with a short lifetime that would run ads along with internet searches or email clients.

How about a tablet sized device that only runs a browser? Each time you turn it on it goes to the ad page of Coca Cola or Pepsi or shows a preview of the latest movie from Disney or Orion. Maybe every 30 minutes a small popup shows the logo of the advertiser. Over the course of 6 months I'd see the ad perhaps 1,000 times. After 6 months it stops working and you toss it. If the price of the gadget is around ten or twenty dollars that is around the price of a short run brochure and this is something you'd look at many more times.

Finally, Apple is unlikely to personally target ads at individuals without their consent. What they could do is datamine the information they have looking for patterns. They want to look for correlations between product, gender, and age so that in the future they'll know what else to pitch to you or just to tell the manufacturer who is buying their product.

Stately
Jan 15, 2010, 07:39 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/15/atandt-rolls-out-cheaper-unlimited-plans-iphone-monthly-rate-drops-30/)
Existing customers will be permitted to change to the new plans as of Monday via AT&T's website, with no monetary penalty or extension to contract terms. It is unclear at this time whether there will be any adjustment to AT&T's non-unlimited plans to reposition its pricing tiers in relation to the new, lower unlimited price.

Article Link: AT&T Rolls Out Cheaper Unlimited Plans, iPhone Monthly Rate Drops $30 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/15/atandt-rolls-out-cheaper-unlimited-plans-iphone-monthly-rate-drops-30/)

Now this is hilarious. AT&T customer plan prices will remain. They will find a way to sneak in some extra charges somewhere. That with the tax, will put it right back to where it originally was . . just without tax. Hence, no real deal.

kgeier82
Jan 15, 2010, 07:40 PM
You better be sitting down when you get the news of what it's going to cost you to get out of the plan and return your Nexus One. It's about $550, I hear.

Yep, in the first 120 days. Nexus one is going back tomorrow I think.

350$ to google
200$ to tmobile

But I paid full price for mine anyways, so no contractual worries right now.

the-oz-man
Jan 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
I don't copy/paste plagiarize... I know it because I study it. Electric Engineering with concentration in communications at University of New Orleans... so, I don't need to plagiarize, I already know.

Just proved you wrong.

Do you work for AT&T?

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 07:44 PM
Do you work for AT&T?

No I don't. I am still studying my field. I do however tell things as they are.

Stately
Jan 15, 2010, 07:47 PM

Exactly. Unfortunately, no matter how much money I make, ATT will never again get it. Speaking of which, if this upcoming tablet is just another money vacuum, I'm not getting it no matter how much I have been longing for it. There better be some nice decent monthly packages associated with it, or Apple will definitely lose out this time. I hate to say that. But there are many who feel this way. People are becoming tired of being ripped off and then there's no quality to top it all off.

JohnDoe98
Jan 15, 2010, 07:56 PM
Exactly. Unfortunately, no matter how much money I make, ATT will never again get it. Speaking of which, if this upcoming tablet is just another money vacuum, I'm not getting it no matter how much I have been longing for it. There better be some nice decent monthly packages associated with it, or Apple will definitely lose out this time. I hate to say that. But there are many who feel this way. People are becoming tired of being ripped off and then there's no quality to top it all off.

I think you're in for disappointment for it seems that everything about the new mac products is about subscriptions (i.e. ways to vacuum your money). It's the new wave of consumerism. You don't buy a product anymore but a service that requires you to give an upfront deposit for the hardware to run the service which is otherwise totally useless.

Love
Jan 15, 2010, 07:56 PM

Who wouldn't hate being raped by a dead person? How is that even possible? Ghosts can't have sex, much less rape..

Your post actually scares me a little. :eek:

jared_kipe
Jan 15, 2010, 07:58 PM
Do you work for AT&T?

Wait wait, can I try to guess where this is going?

No I don't. ...

[the-oz-man]
Then don't sit there and tell us how it all works, you couldn't possibly know.
[/the-oz-man]

SteveLV702
Jan 15, 2010, 07:58 PM

well good luck getting support when you need it.. which you will..

jared_kipe
Jan 15, 2010, 08:00 PM
Who wouldn't hate being raped by a dead person? How is that even possible? Ghosts can't have sex, much less rape..

Your post actually scares me a little. :eek:

Obviously you've never seen the Documentary

Slim02
Jan 15, 2010, 08:05 PM
It just seems to be so outrageously overpriced with the text messaging plan. With taxes, that probably comes out to be at least $225 a month for two lines.

Not really Because right now it is $199.99 (two lines with unlimited mins) + $30 family text and then $60 for both iPhone date plains. So that = as $289.99 and that before tax.. I would pay $209 over $289.99 any day..

bacaramac
Jan 15, 2010, 08:05 PM
Competition is good.

Still hoping that we get a carrier choice in the US for the iPhone with the next revision. Never minded AT&T much as I had good service where I am. However, I'm moving shortly and the coverage at the new house (in Surprise, AZ) is horrible.

Try moving out here by lake pleasant, service is non-existent until about three weeks ago.

Dr. Scott
Jan 15, 2010, 08:06 PM
I can't believe that AT&T still has texting as an additional option you must purchase. With texting becoming more popular over the last few years one might think it would be included in a plans price (much like Sprint has offered for quite some time). And speaking of Sprint... aren't they claiming they will be rolling out 4G technology before other companies? If so, wouldn't the iPhone be able to run on this 'bigger, faster' data configuration? Any ideas?

dukebound85
Jan 15, 2010, 08:08 PM

Just proved you wrong.

I believe the field, as well as major, is known as Electrical Engineering not "Electric Engineering";)

I do find it hard to believe that they teach phone protocol, namely ATT protocol as part of your curriculum though...

Jodeo
Jan 15, 2010, 08:13 PM
For me, I have a prepaid T-Mobile phone. I spend less than $200 per YEAR for phone calls.

And I have an iPod Touch.

I get by just fine...

CooKieMoNs7eR
I thought the 450 min plan and the other ones would be cheaper too but I guess only the unlimited one:(

jav6454
I believe the field, as well as major, is known as Electrical Engineering not "Electric Engineering";)

I do find it hard to believe that they teach phone protocol, namely ATT protocol as part of your curriculum though...

Yes, I meant Electrical, my mistake there.

UNO has an AT&T Tech center... so you can choose to do Internships with them. So it isn't curriculum based, it's more of, you want to know, you go the source to know and some reading on it. Also, the SMS/Text protocol is standard for all carriers GSM or CDMA. The same idea "piggybacking".

branjosef
Jan 15, 2010, 08:14 PM
Why would I sign up for an unlimited plan on a network in which I dont have service half the time. Maybe ATT could ensure connectivity before offering unlimited data plans, but what do I know. Its just getting worse and worse where I live as the iphone matures. Me thinks it might be time to switch to a different phone/provider and just go out and get a touch.

Frisco
Jan 15, 2010, 08:21 PM
well good luck getting support when you need it.. which you will..

Okay I was being sarcastic--no one got that :rolleyes:

I don't have a Nexus One--I have an iPhone, but I fear Google will soon top the iPhone if Apple doesn't step up to the plate.

rjohnstone
Jan 15, 2010, 08:30 PM
... And speaking of Sprint... aren't they claiming they will be rolling out 4G technology before other companies? If so, wouldn't the iPhone be able to run on this 'bigger, faster' data configuration? Any ideas?
Sprint's 4G tech is WiMAX.
Pretty much useless as the iPhone will never support it.
Every other carrier in the US is going LTE.

kdarling
Jan 15, 2010, 08:34 PM
Mmmmm, no... Texts are not mini calls.
Texts do not use the same paths as a data transfer. They DO use the same paths as setting up a phone call. (Not a completed voice connection... only the call setup.)

Not true at all. Texts are sent by piggybacking on carrier signals, and MMS is standard data.

And what do you think those carrier signals are?

GSM texts are sent over the signaling channels used for outgoing or incoming connections. That's why they're so short: they're squeezed into normal control packets.

They are basically the same as originating a call or receiving a ring page. Text transfers thus may originate from or end at a phone, the same as a phone call. OTOH, internet data connections _always_ originate from the handset.

MMS throws in data transfer as well, but starts with a text.

Another part of SMS/MMS costs is that, unlike a phone call, they are stored for later delivery if the recipient isn't immediately available.

CalBoy
Jan 15, 2010, 08:36 PM
If you switch to a lower-minute plan, you lose all rollover minutes except for the number of minutes you get per month on your new plan. So if you switch to the 700 minute plan, you lose all but 700.

Hmmm, that's odd. I recently had my minute plan downgraded, and all of the rollover minutes remained intact (in the neighborhood of 3,000).

I did have to go quite high to get my problem resolved, however, so that agent may have waived the traditional "rollover minutes expire" requirement.

If you have 14k in minutes saved up, you really need a much lower plan. Look at your monthly usage and buy the plan that's closest to that. I'm guessing if you have 14,000 minutes saved up over the past 12 months, you are only using about 400 minutes monthly, so it may be wise to just drop down to the 450 plan until your pool of rollover minutes drops into the low hundreds, and then reanalyze how many minutes you actually need.

If you've been with ATT for a while, they are actually quite willing to be flexible with your plan and will often give you bonus minutes that can make your plan just right for your usage. Give them a call. :)

That's what I'm wondering. Doesn't T-Mobile offer unlimited everything for $50 a month?

IIRC, the T-Mobile plan does not include data. However, even with data, T-Mobile still comes out about $20 cheaper.

Because then someone is going to write an SMS app that will overload the control channel

I don't really see the relevance here. Many people (if not most) already purchase unlimited texting plans. The problem most of us have with them is the cost. A carrier spends perhaps a few pennies per thousand texts, yet the price is very disproportionate to the actual cost. A 20 cent SMS, in terms of dollars per megabyte, is over $1300. That is simply absurd in pricing.

I, for one, wouldn't mind if texting was still sold without data (since one can want texting but not data), but the cost needs to be much lower. For those customers who do purchase data plans, texting needs to be included.

jav6454
Jan 15, 2010, 08:40 PM
Texts do not use the same paths as a data transfer. They DO use the same paths as setting up a phone call. (Not a completed voice connection... only the call setup.)

Yes they are compressed into the command packets (ie like the ones telling your phone how much current signal you have). However, they don't create a call. They are just small data packets, but not large enough to be billed such (because they are in the command packets).

That is why the cost next to nothing.

Xibalba
Jan 15, 2010, 08:54 PM

exactly, which is why I am debating if saving $20 monthly would be worth it - I phrased my statement wrong - I meant to imply not that I would keep the minutes but that we are not even using close to the 1400 our plan provides.

but thanks for pointing that out because i am sure that is not something everyone knows.

jared_kipe
Jan 15, 2010, 08:59 PM
Another part of SMS/MMS costs is that, unlike a phone call, they are stored for later delivery if the recipient isn't immediately available.

You should tell ATT that. Probably 25% of my text messages are not received by the intended party. I'll go to someone and say, "hey why didn't you respond to my text?" "What text?" says he.

Then usually we whip out our iphones and compare and contrast our logs. Sometimes to hilarious results where we find OTHER times where we didn't get something the other person sent.
Wait, I don't think I mean hilarious, whats the opposite of hilarious?

Xibalba
Jan 15, 2010, 09:01 PM
If you have 14k in minutes saved up, you really need a much lower plan. Look at your monthly usage and buy the plan that's closest to that. I'm guessing if you have 14,000 minutes saved up over the past 12 months, you are only using about 400 minutes monthly, so it may be wise to just drop down to the 450 plan until your pool of rollover minutes drops into the low hundreds, and then reanalyze how many minutes you actually need.

If you've been with ATT for a while, they are actually quite willing to be flexible with your plan and will often give you bonus minutes that can make your plan just right for your usage. Give them a call. :)

good point - I originally went with the higher 1400 vs 700 minute plan because it was only $20 difference and I did not want to have to worry about getting close to running out of minutes. and at the time we signed up for our plan my wife's family was on verizon. they got jealous of the iphones and made the switch and now we barely use our minutes.

still glad to see AT&T responding with overall rate reductions even though it's currently only for the unlimited voice plan...

ToroidalZeus
Jan 15, 2010, 09:19 PM
I don't really see the relevance here. Many people (if not most) already purchase unlimited texting plans. The problem most of us have with them is the cost. A carrier spends perhaps a few pennies per thousand texts, yet the price is very disproportionate to the actual cost. A 20 cent SMS, in terms of dollars per megabyte, is over $1300. That is simply absurd in pricing.
What is really absurd is if all cell phone carriers allowed all the manufactures to build in 3rd party (yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc) email support we could completely do away with text messaging. People who currently have both could dump the text plan and keep the data plan while people who currently have text plans can get data plans instead. But since everyone does not have email built into the software, we can not.

powers74
Jan 15, 2010, 09:52 PM
I'm wondering if this isn't a step toward the tablet.

What if AT&T is the data provider for the tablet.....marketing, as far as now these customers can afford the data plan for the tablet and still pay what they were paying for just the Iphone?

One of the first things that went through my head.

oldwatery
Jan 15, 2010, 10:08 PM
Why can't they offer a plan without direct internet access.
I love my iPhone....as a phone.
I never go on line.
It sucks I have to pay $360+ a year for something I don't use.

macfan881
Jan 15, 2010, 10:27 PM
I never go on line.

you can canel your data plan any time if im not mistaken just go to your account and cancel data from what i know.

NeuralControl
Jan 15, 2010, 10:34 PM
you can canel your data plan any time if im not mistaken just go to your account and cancel data from what i know.

I'm nearly 100% sure AT&T explicitly says the data plan is required for the duration of the two year contract.

jared_kipe
Jan 15, 2010, 10:34 PM

Odd, can anyone confirm this? Does that mean you literally don't get internet, or are you just hit with hefty per byte charges if an app or something else decides to use internet??

If true, might open up some options for family members who want an iphone but don't want to pay for the internet access.

LagunaSol
Jan 15, 2010, 10:42 PM
Texting plans are the biggest scams in technology.

Fortunately, I have WhatsApp. Unfortunately, not everyone I text has an iPhone/WhatsApp.

Your texting plans make make hate you, AT&T.

NeuralControl
Jan 15, 2010, 10:45 PM
Odd, can anyone confirm this? Does that mean you literally don't get internet, or are you just hit with hefty per byte charges if an app or something else decides to use internet??

If true, might open up some options for family members who want an iphone but don't want to pay for the internet access.

I really don't believe this is possible. Look on the AT&T website and try to add an iPhone to your cart. It says a data plan is required and can not be terminated.

anthony11
Jan 15, 2010, 10:49 PM
It's unlimited voice and data for $99 total now. Now let's get those limited plan numbers down. Who needs unlimited when you have nights, weekends, AT&T wireless customers, and ten more free "A-list" numbers?

My wife and I share the lowest plan AT&T has, 450 min/month, and we never use a tenth of those. What we'd really love is a 200 min/month plan or such, especially now that my employer won't let me expense charges without handing my number over to them.

ToroidalZeus
Jan 15, 2010, 10:52 PM
Odd, can anyone confirm this? Does that mean you literally don't get internet, or are you just hit with hefty per byte charges if an app or something else decides to use internet??.
AT&T requires that 30 dollar a month iPhone data plan BUT you can turn off your iPhone (even better if you take that sim card and put it in a dumb phone then turn it on) then call AT&T and say your phone is lost so you no longer need the data plan. They will remove the plan but in order not to get charged with the pay as you go usage, you add the BLOCKWIX onto your plan. Bam iPhone with no data plan but you also do not have visual voicemail anymore nor do you get MMS.

jared_kipe
Jan 15, 2010, 10:55 PM
I really don't believe this is possible. Look on the AT&T website and try to add an iPhone to your cart. It says a data plan is required and can not be terminated.

I know it "can" be terminated (at least by best buy employees ;))

I recently upgraded my moms phone with the upgrade eligibility from my line at a best buy. The BB employee basically "upgraded" my iPhone to an LG Xeon. Then he called up ATT to get the features all sorted out (add texting to my mom's phone, and put data/texting back onto my line). I had to talk to the ATT lady who didn't understand the situation very well, and refused to believe that my line had an iPhone data plan on it when I walked in. In fact she said it "wasn't possible."

Long story short, at least for a little while no icon (E or 3G) showed up next ATT in my iphone's status bar for the duration of my dealings in best buy.

So I know it to be POSSIBLE to loose the data plan, and better yet, ATT employees won't know it was ever there if done in this way.

chris975d
Jan 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
Edit: Ryeno beat me to explaining this.

You can't do it from the website from my experience, but you can call in and cancel or change a data plan at any time during your contract, and it doesn't affect your contract length. The "contract" just states that you are agreeing to keep voice service with them the length of the contract. To cancel the iPhone data plan however, you must have another non-smartphone (that works on AT&T's network) to put your SIM into, and write down the IMEI number to facilitate the next step. Then call AT&T and state that you have stopped using/sold your iPhone, and that you want to drop the data plan. They WILL ask you for the IMEI number of the phone that your SIM is in (this is why I stated to go ahead and write it down before calling) to verify that you have another phone that qualifies for not having a data plan. I believe that you can also at this point ask for them to place a data block on your account, so that your phone can't even connect to the internet even if you try. Once all this is done, place your SIM back in your iPhone and you should be set, just have no AT&T data network capabilities. I've swapped data plans/canceled data plans so many times over the life of my contract that I know this routine in and out. Never had a bit of trouble with what I spelled out above.

ThunderSkunk
Jan 15, 2010, 11:13 PM
T-Mobile is still cheaper at $85/mo for full unlimited, with no contract. Thank your global iphone hacker group.

nfable
Jan 15, 2010, 11:23 PM
Anybody just try a mifi unit w that data plan (whazzit, like $60/mo) and iPod touch plus skype out (2.50/mo) service? Got the mrs a touch for Xmas and was impressed with the skype app. As is now we have a netgear skype wifi phone as the house phone, a $40 net service and two paygo boost phones at .10cents/min. We just pretend we're in 1991 and don't blab on the cell phone, if someone calls and we're going to be home soon we wait ... We're spending about $55 a month for two phones and cell moderation.
I ask about the mifi option, cause even if we both ran one each, our bill would be only $120/mo for two phones and able to use that at home with our computers without having to tether anything. Or am I being silly here?

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jan 15, 2010, 11:32 PM
so how is it dropping by $30 again??

Rodimus Prime
Jan 15, 2010, 11:44 PM
AT&T requires that 30 dollar a month iPhone data plan BUT you can turn off your iPhone (even better if you take that sim card and put it in a dumb phone then turn it on) then call AT&T and say your phone is lost so you no longer need the data plan. They will remove the plan but in order not to get charged with the pay as you go usage, you add the BLOCKWIX onto your plan. Bam iPhone with no data plan but you also do not have visual voicemail anymore nor do you get MMS.

wrong that does not work any more. ATT now scans for the IMEP number of the phones and if they see an iPhone they automaticly put the $30 a month charge on it. Big time if you tried the trick you listed.

lightpeak
Jan 16, 2010, 12:24 AM

I'd tell you to switch to Telus or Bell, but they're no better... even though they got the iPhone now. Oh, well. Maybe IF Wind gets it.

powerbook911
Jan 16, 2010, 12:37 AM
I think news like this will make people think iPhone is too expensive.

$100 a month for 1 phone, and it was $130. My family must think my bill is $500.

I have 2 iPhones on my account, plus a cheap Samsung phone as my iPhone signals suck. Total 3 phones - $117 including tax each month.

No, I don't have "unlimited minutes," but I don't need them.

ToroidalZeus
Jan 16, 2010, 12:48 AM
I think news like this will make people think iPhone is too expensive.
It is the data plan not the voice plan that makes people think the iPhone is expensive.

Nermal
Jan 16, 2010, 01:01 AM
Your texting plans make make hate you, AT&T.

At those prices, I'm not surprised. Over here I have three options:

1. Send ad hoc for 20c each (US$0.15), free to receive
2. Can send up to 150 texts for $6/month (US$4.42), free to receive
3. Can send/receive unlimited for $12/month (US$8.85)

Commence weeping :p

Michael CM1
Jan 16, 2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah, this is EXACTLY what we were all clamoring for! I mean everybody complains about the price of calling plans. :(

Fail, AT&T and Verizon. We want tiered data plans! I just checked and I have used about 250MB of data over 3G this month. Why should I have to pay as much as the people YouTubing all day and closing in on the 5GB "it's not a cap but it kinda is?"

Don't get me wrong, I know that I signed up for this and it's not like AT&T is screwing me. But the lack of data options is beyond annoying -- yes, across the board. It's even more of a punishment to not give me any free texts like the original iPhone plan did. I know it's different, but why in the bloody hell should I pay for text messages with unlimited data?

Oh, and I have more than 3,000 rollover minutes. Pardon my yelling, but WHAT GOOD IS AN UNLIMITED PLAN TO ME? For all those people who sheepishly say "competition is good," explain to me why you can't get tiered data with any phone in the US. That's why the Verizon deal won't mean squat. It'll just mean two companies charging pretty much the same thing for the same service. Woo.

belard
Jan 16, 2010, 01:47 AM
I'm in Portugal.

Unlimited calls, texts and instant messaging for numbers on my network: 10€ (5€ for students) - 20c/minute for numbers on other networks
512MB data a month: 15€ (6c/MB after the 512MB)

I don't use data on my phone because there's always wi-fi nearby. Almost everyone has two phones, or a phone with two SIM cards, one on each of the most used networks.

So, I pay 5€/month for unlimited calls, texts and messenger to most people I know. If I had an iPhone I'd pay 20€.

130 dollars? Geesh, you pay a lot. The most expensive iPhone plan here is 70€ with unlimited everything (except data, which has a 512MB limit).

ToroidalZeus
Jan 16, 2010, 02:39 AM
It's worse then you think. The best way to describe american system is... The PAYG or prepaid system is complete crap because it uses the same 'bolt-ons' as a normal plan.

So if you want 1500 (750 sent/received) messages thats 15 dollars. Then if you want data, you have no choice but unlimited so add another 30 dollars to your plan. Then when it comes to voice;well the PAYG plans do not work with the iPhone so 40 for lowest voice 450min plan. So 40+15+30 = 85 a month for basic service. So as you can see if you actually use your cell phone for voice a lot, especially with people on other carriers, you are better off just getting the 130 unlimited plan.

Oh but this is all for 1 person. If you have a family, the unlimited plans cost like a extra 50-100 dollars per line. So in that case it is almost never affordable to go unlimited and the data plans keep stacking since they are per line. So a family with a couple iPhones, unlimited text and a plan where they can actually talk a good amount of time can easily cost 200 dollars or more a month.

RaZaK
Jan 16, 2010, 04:06 AM
desperation.

Looks like it's a done deal that the iPhone exclusivity ends this year. Why else would they drop their rates SO LOW when they have resisted being reasonable for SO LONG.

I hope AT&T goes down in flames when the iPhone is available to other carriers.

:apple: FTW

Stella
Jan 16, 2010, 07:13 AM

One word:
Wind

( assuming you live in its service area )

GoCubsGo
Jan 16, 2010, 07:33 AM
Unless they drop other plans this means nada. Not to mention the fact that I'd venture to guess few people have unlimited plans in comparison to every other plan.

For me I'll never go over my minutes because my calls are dropped so frequently. By the time it happens twice I give up on the call entirely b

rotlex
Jan 16, 2010, 07:36 AM

LOL, this. Take all the things you mention, plus rollover, and I already HAVE unlimited everything! Heck, I've got thousands of rollover minutes I'll never use.

Leave the plans where they are, drop them a bit where it makes sense, and INCLUDE TEXTING for cryin' out loud! :D

Lara F
Jan 16, 2010, 07:47 AM
I never go on line.

And I'm on track to use a whopping 150 min max over the next month with 3999 rollover minutes available.

Nice to have unlimited discounted but it's meaningless to me. :(

HDJulie
Jan 16, 2010, 08:09 AM
I wonder how discounts will be applied to this. If you have, what do they call it, a FAN?, which I think does not discount the iPhone data plan, how will it work on this new plan.

guitarman777
Jan 16, 2010, 08:28 AM

My point exactly. I'm on my iPhone constantly, and my wife & I still racked up nearly 2,000 rollover minutes on our 700-minute family plan just over the past several months, and our bill (after taxes) still comes to just under $170 each month, even with my wife's gov't employee discount. We have unlimited texting as the only options were either a measly 200 per month for the both of us (yeah right) or unlimited texts. Way to utilize shrewd business tactics there, AT&T. :rolleyes: The only unlimited features I want are data & texting. I do all my personal & work communication from my iPhone, and we still end up with rollover minutes at the end of the month. Not that I'm complaining about rollover minutes (except for the fact that we have yet to dip into that stash), but I think the 700-minute plan deserves a price break just as much as the unlimited-everything plan.

ericinboston
Jan 16, 2010, 08:47 AM
I read somewhere that the rollovers are only up to the plan that's being switched to.

Meaning if you're switching from 1400 to 700 min plan, you can only bring over 700 min as rollover.

That is how I understood it...I switched from a 900 plan to 450 a few days ago (after 5 months on the 900 plan)...the woman really didn't explain it well but essentially I dropped from 2000 mins to 450. Not a huge deal in my case since I have yet to use 1 rollover min (and I think they expire after 12 months somehow anyway) but I feel I DID PAY FOR THEM when I had the higher-rate plan. I really only use about 100-300 mins a month primetime (7am-7pm I think is their primetime)

Whatever. As long as I have some rollover mins to cover me.

-Eric

Shasterball
Jan 16, 2010, 08:55 AM
How about just cheaper plans overall? That would be nice. That, or I pay the % of my bill that corresponds to the % of calls that go through and come through in Manhattan. I'll leave the data success rate out of the equation so that AT&T doesn't go belly up in a month...

FTBoomer
Jan 16, 2010, 09:00 AM
I have the Family plan with 4 iPhones, If I want ed to move to this what happens to the other 2 lines? Would I have to purchase 2 Unlimites plans plus $30 Family text plan?

180x2=360
Family Text=30

$390 Total

This look correct?

TraceyS/FL
Jan 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
desperation.

Looks like it's a done deal that the iPhone exclusivity ends this year. Why else would they drop their rates SO LOW when they have resisted being reasonable for SO LONG.

I"M confused by this.... AT&T only did it to match what Verizon did, now we'd be having another conversation if AT&T did it first....

This is a baby step from those 2 - we will see if they "kick it up a notch" later in the year...

Chupa Chupa
Jan 16, 2010, 09:44 AM
desperation.

Huh? Not sure how this price cut gets you to the end of iPhone exclusivity.

Here are the reasons - Android, Droid, Nexus. They have gotten lots of attention. Maybe you noticed. Even Woz likes his Nexus -- WOZ! Verizon, which has lots of Android phones, and will have the Nexus soon, changed up its pricing, so what is ATT suppose to do? Not compete?

ATT's move doesn't require an advanced degree or reading tea leaves, tarot cards, or midnight seances to figure out. Verizon shot across the bow, ATT fired back. It has nothing to do with the iPhone other than iPhones qualify for the new pricing w/o penalty.

LagunaSol
Jan 16, 2010, 09:54 AM
Here are the reasons - Android, Droid, Nexus. They have gotten lots of attention.

Attention which may not be turning into actual sales, if this report last week is even close to accurate:

http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/01/13/googles-nexus-one-phone-sells-a-mere-20000-in-its-first-week/

20,000 in launch week??? Ouch.

distortedloop
Jan 16, 2010, 09:56 AM
Sprint's 4G tech is WiMAX.
Pretty much useless as the iPhone will never support it.
Every other carrier in the US is going LTE.

Why are you so sure iPhone will never support it?

Just heard on Buzz Out Loud that WiMax towers are going on top of every WalMart in the country. I think they said this year, but not sure on that part. Consensus of the talking heads was that this put WiMax back in the picture as a contender.

Wait, I don't think I mean hilarious, whats the opposite of hilarious?

Tragic.

wrong that does not work any more. ATT now scans for the IMEP number of the phones and if they see an iPhone they automaticly put the $30 a month charge on it. Big time if you tried the trick you listed.

That is correct. As I switch sim cards around my devices from time to time, it is just a matter of minutes before AT&T's website reflects what device is actually on that SIM.

Why? Seriously, what network is better in every way? None of them.

T-Mobile = great pricing but absolute horrible coverage everywhere, mediocre call quality.

Sprint = good pricing, good clean CDMA signal, but not very good coverage, no simultaneous voice/data.

Verizon = great coverage, good clean CDMA signal, no simultaneous voice/data, good pricing plans, draconian lock down of devices and service, and if you believe David Pogue and others some of the sleaziest nickel & dime you billing practices on the face of the earth.

AT&T = decent coverage for most of the population, mediocre call quality, pricing that's competitive with AT&T for every plan I've ever heard.

THEY ALL SUCK in the end. I can find just as many "I'll never go back to Verizon" posts in the tech forums as "I'll never go back to AT&T." I think it really is just a case of the grass is always greener...

Your personal location is probably the biggest factor for any of these. AT&T in my area is just fine. I don't drop calls, I get a signal all over town. No complaints.

I wonder how discounts will be applied to this. If you have, what do they call it, a FAN?, which I think does not discount the iPhone data plan, how will it work on this new plan.

FAN stands for Foundation Account Number. FAN discounts only apply to the voice plan. You're correct that they don't apply to iPhone data plans. I imagine the FAN discount will still apply, but they're generally a percentage discount, so obviously if they drop the price, the real $$ amount of the discount will decrease.

ericinboston
Jan 16, 2010, 09:59 AM
How about just cheaper plans overall? That would be nice. That, or I pay the % of my bill that corresponds to the % of calls that go through and come through in Manhattan. I'll leave the data success rate out of the equation so that AT&T doesn't go belly up in a month...

Pay % of your bill is basically a-la-carte like the 1970s and offers far less value.

I would rather see ATT simply lower all their plans...maybe $10-20/month.

I have a feeling one of the reasons that lead to this press release is ATT's contract with Apple ends in a few months...so ATT/Apple and others may know that other carriers are getting the iPhone...which means immediate competition. There are a lot of consumers that believe Verizon is getting the iPhone this June (thanks to major news outlets like Newsweek, Time, NY Times, CNET, etc.)...and if they (like many) are Verizon followers and ATT haters, they will simply wait for the 1)newest iPhone and 2)better carrier (Verizon).

I think ATT is deeply worried...coverage stinks, iPhone exclusivity contract is ending, everyone on the East Coast knows that VZ kills ATT in coverage and pricing, etc. IMO, the iPhone was the only reason why ATT has kept customers and made money.

-Eric

distortedloop
Jan 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
Even Woz likes his Nexus -- WOZ!

Woz likes every gadget. He's like a gadget junky. Woz likes his Nexus, and his two Crackberries, and everything else on his batman belt of gadgetry.

If you read the updates on all the "Woz likes Nexus" blog entries, you'll notice that Woz made a point of correcting the original article by stating his iPhone is still his favorite and primary device, and that he usually has two or more devices in his pocket. Now, maybe a chastising phone call from Steve Jobs got Woz to issue the correction, but I don't doubt that Woz likes all of the gadgets just for his love of gadgetry.

Woz correction. (http://gizmodo.com/5449580/hold-it-the-iphone-is-still-steve-wozs-favorite)

Attention which may not be turning into actual sales, if this report last week is even close to accurate:

http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/01/13/googles-nexus-one-phone-sells-a-mere-20000-in-its-first-week/

I think this low number may have actually been by design. Think about it. Google's had a tough enough time fulfilling orders and support issues with just 20k phones out there. Maybe they weren't as dumb as everyone thought and kept the sales artificially low to see how well they're untested fulfillment system worked.

The Nexus One had precious little mainstream news coverage, and outside of the geek blogs doesn't get talked about. There's been ZERO advertising on television or radio that I've seen. ZERO print advertising that I've heard of. The only sites I even see on online ad for the Nexus One is tech blogs like this where we chat about iPhones.

Google didn't even leave the very low key Nexus One link on their home page for more than a couple of days.

This sure doesn't sound like a company that is trying very hard to sell the thing, whatever the reason behind that is.

Ping Guo
Jan 16, 2010, 11:22 AM
Nothing new here. U.S. service providers use the oldest equipment, with the worst service, at the highest prices. I still can't get over paying to receive calls. :mad:

w0by
Jan 16, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hey, I've always been happy with my T-Mobile service and the prices are better than any other major GSM service in the US I believe. I am happy that AT&T is changing their prices, there needs to be more competition. I still beleive that texting should be part of your internet plan though. I can't see how companies charge for texting, which is just data, if you already are paying $20-$30 a month for crappy mobile internet service.

Rychiar
Jan 16, 2010, 11:27 AM
i still want a 30 min a month voice plan. i never talk:rolleyes:

w0by
Jan 16, 2010, 11:28 AM
Nothing new here. U.S. service providers use the oldest equipment, with the worst service, at the highest prices. I still can't get over paying to receive calls. :mad:

Well, you can always get US Cellular here which includes incoming calls (and maybe text's I'm not sure??) amazingly. The only problem with US Cellular is their phone selection sucks, and it isn't GSM so have fun trying to get a good unlocked phone for it.

carlgo
Jan 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
Simply an announcement that makes the casual reader think that, gee whiz, rates are coming down!

Advertising is cheaper than actually doing something positive for the customer like actual reception or fair rates for every level of use.

Simply another color label on the bottle of lubricant.

w0by
Jan 16, 2010, 11:34 AM
Tis true, it's all about where you live. I live in Chicago and my friends with AT&T have horrible internet service and the call quality is ridiculous. I used to have Sprint, the call quality was really great, IF you were near one of their towers. I ended up getting rid of it only because I had had really poor service around my city.

Just heard on Buzz Out Loud that WiMax towers are going on top of every WalMart in the country. I think they said this year, but not sure on that part. Consensus of the talking heads was that this put WiMax back in the picture as a contender.

Tragic.

That is correct. As I switch sim cards around my devices from time to time, it is just a matter of minutes before AT&T's website reflects what device is actually on that SIM.

T-Mobile = great pricing but absolute horrible coverage everywhere, mediocre call quality.

Sprint = good pricing, good clean CDMA signal, but not very good coverage, no simultaneous voice/data.

Verizon = great coverage, good clean CDMA signal, no simultaneous voice/data, good pricing plans, draconian lock down of devices and service, and if you believe David Pogue and others some of the sleaziest nickel & dime you billing practices on the face of the earth.

AT&T = decent coverage for most of the population, mediocre call quality, pricing that's competitive with AT&T for every plan I've ever heard.

THEY ALL SUCK in the end. I can find just as many "I'll never go back to Verizon" posts in the tech forums as "I'll never go back to AT&T." I think it really is just a case of the grass is always greener...

Your personal location is probably the biggest factor for any of these. AT&T in my area is just fine. I don't drop calls, I get a signal all over town. No complaints.

FAN stands for Foundation Account Number. FAN discounts only apply to the voice plan. You're correct that they don't apply to iPhone data plans. I imagine the FAN discount will still apply, but they're generally a percentage discount, so obviously if they drop the price, the real $$ amount of the discount will decrease.

Rocketman

AT&T could specifically allow tethering for the purpose of "occasional use" as defined by under 200mb/mo (or whatever), so if you are specifically allowed to tether, say for a $5 monthly fee to tag your account, you also agree to be a modest user.

The studies I have read involve something like 2% of users hogging 50% of bandwidth. Mostly on jailbroken phones and switched SIM cards.

It's pretty hard to stop abusive behavior on mobile devices without a fairly active plan of cancellations, but allowing regular, good users a feature they desire for actual convenience might be reasonable.

The main thing that concerns me is how low average use is, yet we still have the network slammed. It may simply be a technical limit of TOWER bandwidth in densely populated locales. I believe one issue is you are using branded towers for data and not "roaming". If AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon allowed data roaming, they would all have better overall experiences. A treaty could allow for size and usage descrepencies.

Such a treaty would initially disfavor AT&T since they have the largest base of heavy data users and a slightly smaller 3G data network than Verizon. Given they seem willing to lower prices anyway for "all users", they may also consider this to spread the load a bit and give them time to do build-outs.

Rocketman

TheSpaz
Ah... it's great having a go-phone iPhone. So cheap and I'm loving it!

iFalcon
Jan 16, 2010, 11:39 AM

Tragic.

We get a FAN of 27%. It most definately applies to both voice and data plan. The discounts for each are broken out on our plan.

Shasterball
Jan 16, 2010, 11:46 AM
Pay % of your bill is basically a-la-carte like the 1970s and offers far less value.

I wasn't suggesting a pay-per-call type agreement. Acutely, I wasn't suggesting anything, but was just kidding. But the point was that, if I can use their service, e.g., 80% of the time I wish to, but AT&T insinuates that I can use it 100% of the time, then I should I only pay 80% of my bill since they have failed to fill their end of the bargain. That's all...

danjferguson
Jan 16, 2010, 11:54 AM
My point exactly. I'm on my iPhone constantly, and my wife & I still racked up nearly 2,000 rollover minutes on our 700-minute family plan just over the past several months, and our bill (after taxes) still comes to just under $170 each month, even with my wife's gov't employee discount. We have unlimited texting as the only options were either a measly 200 per month for the both of us (yeah right) or unlimited texts. Way to utilize shrewd business tactics there, AT&T. :rolleyes: The only unlimited features I want are data & texting. I do all my personal & work communication from my iPhone, and we still end up with rollover minutes at the end of the month. Not that I'm complaining about rollover minutes (except for the fact that we have yet to dip into that stash), but I think the 700-minute plan deserves a price break just as much as the unlimited-everything plan.

Definitely. I have almost 7000 rollover minutes now after being a year on AT&T, and I do EVERYTHING on my phone. I even try to use up minutes, but it just doesn't happen.

distortedloop
Jan 16, 2010, 12:04 PM
We get a FAN of 27%. It most definately applies to both voice and data plan. The discounts for each are broken out on our plan.

Really? I'll have to double check my bill, but I'm pretty sure the FAN I use is voice only. It must be company specific.

My FAN is 25% with AT&T. I looked at the offering we get for T-Mobile (in case I tried out a Nexus One)...it's not a fixed amount, it's some odd B.S. percentage that's based on the percentage of corporate usage month to month - whatever the hell that means.

libertyforall
Jan 16, 2010, 12:10 PM
Wow, that affects what about .001% of iPhone customers? You'd be better off supplementing your mobile phone with a SIP VoIP account, it's WAY cheaper for minutes! Like BroadVoice or Callcentric

mousemd
Jan 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
in response re: Verizon's pricing. they are so way overpriced. True, I like their coverage, but AT&T had them beat re: price for voice/data. My wife has a blackberry on Verizon and the costs that they charge for everything (voice/data) etc... is just too much. Plus, they cripple their phones and then charge you to use services that should be part of the phone in the first place. I am not a AT&T fan boy, but not happy about cell phone pricing in general

iFalcon
Jan 16, 2010, 12:20 PM
Really? I'll have to double check my bill, but I'm pretty sure the FAN I use is voice only. It must be company specific.

My FAN is 25% with AT&T. I looked at the offering we get for T-Mobile (in case I tried out a Nexus One)...it's not a fixed amount, it's some odd B.S. percentage that's based on the percentage of corporate usage month to month - whatever the hell that means.

Under our voice plan we have a discount of about $22 and then 16.20 (8.10 for each iPhone). About $40 total.

oldwatery
Jan 16, 2010, 12:31 PM

Just checked......

" AT&T is Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the United States. An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee."

That Sucks :(

casik
Jan 16, 2010, 12:42 PM

Hm... thats odd since Ted died last year.

We already have Tiered data in Canada. I love it. I am paying $70 total for Visial Voicemail, CID, 350(per second) daytime minutes, Unlimited EW @ 7, Unlimited Texting and 500MB. Thats what... $65 USD?

casik
Jan 16, 2010, 12:44 PM
One word:
Wind

( assuming you live in its service area )

Wind is brutal. Why would you want to get charged per min outside of your home zone? I want my minutes to follow me. Out of all the Canadian iPhone carriers I choose Fido.

oldwatery
Jan 16, 2010, 12:50 PM
I used to be neutral in the ATT debates that go on around here but reading some of the posts and the above quote from the ATT web site re internet access has swung me firmly into the anti ATT camp. Now, I'm not supporting other carriers. I think they, like political parties, are all the same. But it does suck when we have to put up with these monopolistic corporations who just screw us all on a regular basis.
Sure don't know what the answer is but it is very frustrating.
I'd love to know how many paid for minutes fly around due to our inability to truly tailor our plans to our usage.
Just imagine a car company telling us that we had to fill up once a week and if we didn't use the gas after a certain time we had to dump it!
I would like to have the option to use the internet once in a while but I will never do so more than a couple of times a month maximum. Why should I have to pay the same as a YouTubing FB'ing kid?
Am I being selfish or blind to reality :confused:

CubusX
Jan 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
So how is AT&T going to get the revenue to upgrade their network when they are lowering prices? Competition is great but their network is lacking dependable on 3G.

the-oz-man
Jan 16, 2010, 01:33 PM
Wait wait, can I try to guess where this is going?

[the-oz-man]
Then don't sit there and tell us how it all works, you couldn't possibly know.
[/the-oz-man]

I was just going to point out that somebody seems just a little offensive about anything related to AT&T . . .

Le Big Mac
Jan 16, 2010, 01:34 PM
I just had AT&T completely turn off texts. No incoming, no outgoing. With an iPhone, I can make a call, send an email or use IM. No need for texting. No need for extra charges tacked on.

I did this as well. I have zero use for 20c each or yet another line item on my bill. I suppose if I had tons of teenage friends who liked to text I'd feel differently, but I haven't been a teenager in a while.

Le Big Mac
Jan 16, 2010, 01:35 PM

That is what AT&T does. You get to keep only the monthly amount. Otherwise people would have an expensive plan for one month, load up on rollovers and switch to the cheapest plan.

rumplestiltskin
Jan 16, 2010, 01:40 PM
Neither the AT&T nor Verizon rate plans match what I have been getting from my old Alltel plan. I don't need nor want web (and don't pay for it). I have 1000 minutes per month voice (plus free nights and weekends) shared among three phones with 200 text messages (on one line) for a little over $100 including tax.

I thought technology was supposed to get cheaper over time?

Excuse me while I finish setting up my Magic Jack and disconnect my two land lines.
:rolleyes:

serdiouk
Jan 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
I think this means that Apple has finally dumped ATT as their exclusive carrier. Why would ATT start announcing all of these new phones.

TraceyS/FL
Jan 16, 2010, 02:06 PM
I'm not normally the "sue" type of person - but i'm NOT happy at hearing that you have to have a $9.99 data plan with Verizon on all phones except the bare bones ones. Just because the phone CAN do "data" - doesn't mean a person should be forced to pay for it. In that case, it just need to be included in the monthly fee for those phones. Period.

I actually don't have data on my smartphone (Treo) right now because my contract was old enough that i don't have to have it.

Frankly, data should be optional on ALL phones. Period. Again, i'm not big on suing and government intervention, but this crap needs to STOP in the current economic climate. Of course, AT&T/Verizon would probably say the Data people aren't using is probably paying for their subsidy.... so they need to maintain that. So break that out of the "plan". Add a fee on top of a base plan if you want to finance the phone over time....

Better yet, blow up the whole system and start over. :D

MikhailT
Jan 16, 2010, 02:11 PM
That is what AT&T does. You get to keep only the monthly amount. Otherwise people would have an expensive plan for one month, load up on rollovers and switch to the cheapest plan.

I know, I was telling somebody else who was saying that you'll lose ALL of your rollover when switching. I believe that to be false.

TheOrioles33
Jan 16, 2010, 02:31 PM
I never go on line.

Thats bizarre that you only use the iPhone as a phone. I'm the complete opposite. I never use it as a phone but use it for everything else it is capable of. I would just get a regular phone if I were you. Save lots of money.

oldwatery
Jan 16, 2010, 02:40 PM
Thats bizarre that you only use the iPhone as a phone. I'm the complete opposite. I never use it as a phone but use it for everything else it is capable of. I would just get a regular phone if I were you. Save lots of money.

I hope I'm not bizarre ;)
But personally I don't see that iPhone usage should just revolve around internet access.
It does so many other things so well including mating with my Mac computers. apps etc.
I like it's tactile feel and ease of use as well as it's music playing capabilities.
But that is just me....and it seems there are several posters here that feel that way too.
So, I'm happy being me but not happy paying for something I simply do not require :)

Dimwhit
Jan 16, 2010, 02:50 PM
Now if they can just include texting with the data...

I'm also now firmly in the "bring on the tiered pricing" camp. I looked at our past 12 months of usage, and the most data my wife and I (combined) have used is 150MB. I'm paying $60/month for that. I love having it, because we use it all the time, but it's just email/web stuff, so the data is minimal. But I'm paying a ton per MB for it right now.

distortedloop
Jan 16, 2010, 03:31 PM
I thought technology was supposed to get cheaper over time?

Excuse me while I finish setting up my Magic Jack and disconnect my two land lines.
:rolleyes:

Technology does get cheaper over time. Services do not, unless there is competition. In the US, the wireless telephony business doesn't have a lot of competition. The iPhone and Nexus One and Droid drive home this point better than anything else. Want an iPhone, you're stuck with AT&T. Droid your stuck with Verizon. Nexus One locks you into T-Mobile (yes, the phone's unlocked and will work (in a crippled EDGE only state) on AT&T) if you want 3G service. When I can buy any phone I want and take it to any network without a contract, prices will finally become competitive. Until then, we just have to suck it up.

- but i'm NOT happy at hearing that you have to have a $9.99 data plan with Verizon on all phones except the bare bones ones. Just because the phone CAN do "data" - doesn't mean a person should be forced to pay for it. In that case, it just need to be included in the monthly fee for those phones. Period.

I think I mentioned earlier that there are as many Verizon haters as there are AT&T haters. Yours is the typical reason I hear for hating Verizon: bizarre pricing and billing requirements, matched with nickel & dime charges and locking out features. AT&T is a greedy pig, but so is Verizon, even if it really does have a better network (which doesn't matter to me, as it's network is no better in the areas I live/work/play 99% of the time.

I did this as well. I have zero use for 20c each or yet another line item on my bill. I suppose if I had tons of teenage friends who liked to text I'd feel differently, but I haven't been a teenager in a while.

I'm 50-ish. I text FAR more than I voice call. The bulk of my friends I text with are in the mid-30s range. I'm not sure texting's popularity is limited to teenagers.

jmass777
Jan 16, 2010, 04:33 PM
I agree with those who say "Don't believe everything you read" about this being "cheaper." I have the 450 plan and LOTS of rollover minutes. Even in my busiest month I don't come close to using them up, and then I start accumulating them again.

I went way over on the texting plan, so I bought unlimited lifetime texting for $9.95 from beejive, which I can simultaneously turn on on my computer(s), through AOL.

LagunaSol
Jan 16, 2010, 04:41 PM
I went way over on the texting plan, so I bought unlimited lifetime texting for $9.95 from beejive, which I can simultaneously turn on on my computer(s), through AOL.

But you can't send standard SMS messages to people with dumb phones, correct? I keep going over my 200 text limit too, and I'm sick of paying the overage. And on principle I refuse to pay AT&T $15 a month for a stupid text plan (or $30 for a family unlimited plan). What a racket.

DakotaGuy
Jan 16, 2010, 04:55 PM

The Nexus One isn't doing very well, but the Droid sold an estimated 1.2 million units last quarter, which was actually just November and December. I understand the iPhone probably sold 10x that in the quarter, but it is a good solid start for a new phone.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Oppenheimer-says-1.2-million-DROIDS-sold-by-Motorola-last-quarter-article-a_8675.html

In Other News...

Is this the Nexus Two? Sounds like it could be...

http://www.slashgear.com/google-nexus-two-spotted-in-shape-of-qwerty-motorola-shadow-1670084/

For a slider that is VERY thin.

LagunaSol
Jan 16, 2010, 05:06 PM
The Nexus One isn't doing very well, but the Droid sold an estimated 1.2 million units last quarter, which was actually just November and December. I understand the iPhone probably sold 10x that in the quarter, but it is a good solid start for a new phone.

Too bad the Droid is yesterday's news in AndroidLand. Today's news is the Nexus One. Tomorrow it will be something different.

Android handset makers aren't just competing against Apple, they're competing against each other. Not a position I'd want to be in.

ToroidalZeus
Jan 16, 2010, 05:50 PM
I'm also now firmly in the "bring on the tiered pricing" camp. I looked at our past 12 months of usage, and the most data my wife and I (combined) have used is 150MB. I'm paying $60/month for that. I love having it, because we use it all the time, but it's just email/web stuff, so the data is minimal. But I'm paying a ton per MB for it right now.
Be careful for what you ask for....

If at&t offered a 512mb 5 dollar a month plan, i could easily see the vast majority (90%) of iPhone subscribers switching to that. Which means AT&T would getting ~1/6th the money they received before. So they would need to add 6x the data subscribers they have now to recoup the costs. Now the bad part, i could actually see thing happening. If people are complaining about having 1000kbps less speed right now, imagine what having 6 times as many users would do?

The way that i see it is that high data rate is to keep the subscribers relatively low until the current wireless carriers can upgrade their networks to support larger bandwidth.

Marvin1379
Jan 16, 2010, 05:57 PM
More like:
10MB - $10
100MB - $20
Unlimited - $30

Else practically everyone would get the 1GB for $10 option.

Last month I used 389MB of data on my iPhone and i use data everyday. Not streaming and downloading, but email, apps, weather, searches, internet, etc...i don't think i could get to 5GB if i tried!!!

iSaint
Jan 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
All this talk about plenty of rollover minutes leads me to my own story. Wife goes off on alcoholic binges this summer, leaving kids and me at home. Finally rescue her from crazy people in the middle of the night after calling her all night. No problem with minutes there, but get her into rehab, then call hospitals, relatives, insurance, employer for help and information. Wife gets out after six weeks and starts calling friends and family. After all this - rollover minutes gone, 400 or more over first month, 300 the next. $500, $660, and $320 bills in consecutive months.

Save 'em for that emergency you think will never happen.

FML

alannala
Jan 16, 2010, 07:37 PM
many people don't use much of their data plans on AT&T... but we pay a lot for the unlimited plan. Why not use it? why not stream audio or video all the time? see what happens when we actually start using it on an unlimited basis....

marksman
Jan 16, 2010, 07:52 PM
Nice. Reduction of fees and then they can pop in tethering for $25 a month.

marksman
Jan 16, 2010, 07:58 PM
With Sprint I get an unlimited data and text plan with 1400 minutes, free nights and weekends starting at 7, and free calling to any other cell phone 24/7, which is virtually unlimited because only calls to land lines during peak hours actually deduct from my 1400 plan minutes.

For two phones, that's $129. For the two-line "unlimited" plan with text on AT&T, it's $209.

Once you say "With Sprint" it doesn't matter what follows.

They could pay you $50 a month to use their unlimited service on unlimited lines with unlimited free phones and it would not be worth it.

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 16, 2010, 08:10 PM
i don't think i could get to 5GB if i tried!!!

I've tethered with my dumbphone at least 5 times in the last month. My dad with his non-tethering iPhone still managed to use more data than me. Neither of us has used anywhere near 1GB of data, either, not even combined.

All this tiered plan talk makes me think about 4 years ago, when data plans were tiered, at least for dumbphones (even ATT dumbphones now are stuck with pay-as-you-go or unlimited data, I think, since the latter is what I have). I think they had 10MB, 50MB, 100MB, 500MB, and 1GB tiers back then.

stevetim
Jan 16, 2010, 08:23 PM
Voice minutes on ATT is tiered according to how much is included in each plan. These plans also have rollover minutes included.

IF...ATT does do a tiered data plan, does anyone see "Rollover Megabytes"? This would be an interesting alternative to unlimited data plans. On that note, I would love to have "Rollover Messaging". I have Unlimited Messaging and average about 1200 messages a month. I would choose the 1500 plan but sometimes I hit 1700.

Also. Seeing as ATT has adjusted their voice plans more in line with other carriers, especially Verizon, is it possible they are readying for a Verizon iPhone being announced in the near future and trying to keep and attract subscribers?

Rocketman
Jan 16, 2010, 08:33 PM
My first impression is, "that's what they LOWERED it to?!"

I have an iPhone 2(.75)G (EDGE) on paygo (past the original contract) and it is FAR cheaper. AT&T claims it cannot be "released" so I can put a T-mobile SIM in it part of the time. Further they warn quite vigerously that changing SIMs could and likely would DAMAGE the phone. :) So I asked, oh, you mean like an SD card in a camera, eh? Silence was golden.

I get the impression that being beyond contract and on paygo I am "released" and I should do as I choose. :)

I could be wrong, but I so rarely am, and wish to be informed when it is the case. Fast.

Rocketman

Melodeath
Jan 16, 2010, 09:52 PM
Further they warn quite vigerously that changing SIMs could and likely would DAMAGE the phone. :) So I asked, oh, you mean like an SD card in a camera, eh? Silence was golden.

Hmmm? :confused:

thor48
Jan 17, 2010, 06:06 AM
My first impression is, "that's what they LOWERED it to?!"

I have an iPhone 2(.75)G (EDGE) on paygo (past the original contract) and it is FAR cheaper. AT&T claims it cannot be "released" so I can put a T-mobile SIM in it part of the time. Further they warn quite vigerously that changing SIMs could and likely would DAMAGE the phone. :) So I asked, oh, you mean like an SD card in a camera, eh? Silence was golden.

I get the impression that being beyond contract and on paygo I am "released" and I should do as I choose. :)

I could be wrong, but I so rarely am, and wish to be informed when it is the case. Fast.

Rocketman

Very good question. I am also beyond the contract and would like to know my legal options.:confused:

macdaddy57
Jan 17, 2010, 08:52 AM
How about cutting the price for those of us who don't come anywhere *close* to using a lot of data instead of insuring that you now have a regular $99.99 monthly revenue stream from X number of your customers???

I HATE AT&T AND I WISH THE COMPANY WOULD GO BANKRUPT!!!

diamond.g
Jan 17, 2010, 09:40 AM
How about cutting the price for those of us who don't come anywhere *close* to using a lot of data instead of insuring that you now have a regular $99.99 monthly revenue stream from X number of your customers???

I HATE AT&T AND I WISH THE COMPANY WOULD GO BANKRUPT!!!

With all the profit that would be impressive.

krye
Jan 17, 2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for lowering the price, but you'd think that unlimited dropped calls would be free.

iMJustAGuy
Jan 17, 2010, 10:10 AM

I don't understand how it is 99.9% profit when they have to pay for and maintain all of the "servers" (I don't know how cell networks function or if that term even makes sense with the situation) to handle all of the data transfer... I don't know.

PS: Why are so many people complaining. They've done something good (better). Price change or not your satisfaction and the quality of service they provide is still the same as it was last week only it's cheaper now. Even if you feel you were getting ripped off before, either way the price has been decreased.

aberjohnny24
Jan 17, 2010, 10:17 AM
This new plan doesn't make any sense to me and doesn't look like it is going to save much money, unless I'm missing something. I currently spend $110.00 per month for 900 minutes with, of course unlimited data which I don't even use much of (I'm one of the lucky customers who lives in a NON 3G area that doesn't have the time to sit and wait for a video to load or some big file to open. I'm sorry, but us EDGE using customers should be compensated in some way for not being able to use the full potential of a $300 3G device that relies on a fast network. AT&T drops the ball once again!) and then unlimited text messaging. Like I said, all that adds up to $110.00 a month. This new unlimited plan is $99.00 a month but doesn't include unlimited text? If I were to add unlimited texts, that would bring the price up to $120.00. Where am I saving any money? I'm spending $10 more per month. And I never come close to using all of my 900 minutes and my 1500 roll over minutes. In essence, I already have a unlimited minutes plan and a unlimited data plan. Am I not making any sense here. Include the text messaging in your new plan AT&T and we have a deal!!

stevetim
Jan 17, 2010, 11:16 AM
This new plan doesn't make any sense to me and doesn't look like it is going to save much money, unless I'm missing something. I currently spend $110.00 per month for 900 minutes with, of course unlimited data which I don't even use much of (I'm one of the lucky customers who lives in a NON 3G area that doesn't have the time to sit and wait for a video to load or some big file to open. I'm sorry, but us EDGE using customers should be compensated in some way for not being able to use the full potential of a $300 3G device that relies on a fast network. AT&T drops the ball once again!) and then unlimited text messaging. Like I said, all that adds up to $110.00 a month. This new unlimited plan is $99.00 a month but doesn't include unlimited text? If I were to add unlimited texts, that would bring the price up to $120.00. Where am I saving any money? I'm spending $10 more per month. And I never come close to using all of my 900 minutes and my 1500 roll over minutes. In essence, I already have a unlimited minutes plan and a unlimited data plan. Am I not making any sense here. Include the text messaging in your new plan AT&T and we have a deal!!

Why don't you wait until the official plans are announced before you get too irate? You may be in for some good news about your current plan with 900 minutes. Since they are dropping the price on the unlimited voice minutes, the other plans may have price drops also. Tomorrow we'll all know.

Iso79
Jan 17, 2010, 11:47 AM
Not much of price savings if you ask me. It's still cheaper to get an Android phone with unlimited data plan plus texting with better 3g network service on Verizon and Sprint.

OneMike
Jan 17, 2010, 12:47 PM
many people don't use much of their data plans on AT&T... but we pay a lot for the unlimited plan. Why not use it? why not stream audio or video all the time? see what happens when we actually start using it on an unlimited basis....

That's what I started doing.. to an extent.

When I first got iPhone 3GS I noticed first month I used like 200mb of data maybe.

The major problem is unless your phone is jailbroken and you use backgrounder it's almost impossible to use a large amount of data and actually use your phone.

I use RadioBox backgrounded on my trip to and from work 5x a week, and misc times throughout the week. That's really my biggest used app on the data end. I also don't put my iPhone on wifi unless I'm connecting to my mac through JaaduVNC or something. Have to set simplify music back up. That way I can at least access my library.

I'm using 2GB+ a month now, but in reality that's still not much. Only real way to take advantage of iPhone / data with current policy is to be jailbroken.

JeffDM
Jan 17, 2010, 12:58 PM
I don't understand how it is 99.9% profit when they have to pay for and maintain all of the "servers" (I don't know how cell networks function or if that term even makes sense with the situation) to handle all of the data transfer... I don't know.

To me, the demands of SMS don't seem any more stringent than email, but I've never been charged a per-email fee, it's always built into the service. I'm not sure why people are willing to pay so much, I avoid it and I tend to give SMS senders an earful after I get one.

PS: Why are so many people complaining. They've done something good (better). Price change or not your satisfaction and the quality of service they provide is still the same as it was last week only it's cheaper now. Even if you feel you were getting ripped off before, either way the price has been decreased.

The satisfaction wasn't very high that I recall, so that's not saying much.

WiFi is generally faster & has less latency than cellular data. Usually, I'm near a WiFi point that I can use. Due to high use of metal for construction (siding, roofs & structure), reception indoors tends to be poor, making cellular data a little frustrating.

raccoontail
Jan 17, 2010, 01:35 PM
I've never upgraded my 4GB EDGE iPhone because AT&T's initial iPhone plan is still the best value they've offered. Unlimited EDGE data, 200 texts, and 400 minutes, and my bill is under $70/month including taxes. Yes edge is slow and no GPS is a pain sometimes, but even this new "discount" plan is over $400 a year more.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 17, 2010, 01:37 PM

To understand why it is 99.9% profit on SMS is it takes to understand how SMS works.
SMS piggy backs on the signal your phone uses to talk with the tower to tell it were it is and that it is receiving a signal. This is a lower power mode for the phone and is on a different channel than with voice and data (hence the reason you can receive a text when on a phone call on Edge or lower one). It is very basic.

The only added cost for ATT is having a few servers to handle the messages and on the back end it would be like an Email server at most. Those things can handle HUGE amounts of SMS because they are such small data packets. All it has to do is put out a singal for *Phone number* and it goes out to said phone.

It has very little cost to AT&T since it does not suck up tower band withe, the .1% not profit is what it cost to maintain the servers and even then those server are more than likely just the *Here I am servers* so again a non issue making it almost pure profit.

deepen03
Jan 17, 2010, 03:01 PM
I currently have a 2-line plan with AT&T with One Iphone and one regular phone with 550 minutes and 200 texts on one line and we pay $110 per month. Thats pretty ridiculous.. How about they lower the prices for regular customers too?

twoodcc
Jan 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
i'm glad to see them lower the price, but what about the other plans? the text plans need to be lowered

gadgetguy08
Jan 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but AT&T's site still says monthly fees for an unlimited plan are $99 plus $30 for data. That makes $129/mo for unlimited voice and data. Not $99. Am I just confused?

EDIT: Never mind. Just saw the "effective Monday" in the OP.

kdarling
Jan 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
SMS piggy backs on the signal your phone uses to talk with the tower to tell it were it is and that it is receiving a signal.

Text notifications use the regular incoming voice ring paging channel if the phone is not connected in a voice call at the time, or a dedicated forward control channel if it is.

The phone also still has to authenticate itself in order to then receive the text, just as it does for voice calls.

The only added cost for ATT is having a few servers to handle the messages and on the back end it would be like an Email server at most.

It's not just "a few servers". More like hundreds, most likely. Expensive ones, too. :)

We're probably talking about up to 2 billion texts a day on AT&T. During busy hours, perhaps more than a million texts a _minute_, with the target phones having to be found all across the country.

Because they have to use carrier control channels to locate the recipients, that's the control load equivalent of initiating 2 billion phone calls a day, with all the associated extra control server costs.

The text servers not only need to store each message until a delivery confirmation comes back, the servers might need to modify any attached picture sizes. They might also need to talk to email gateways.

The servers would be in multiple locations around the country, with associated building, physical and logical maintenance, electricity, cooling, security and backup power costs.

Phone companies are big, and their use of $100K apiece UNIX servers is huge. So no, texts aren't free to the carrier. That said, there's little doubt that texts must be very profitable.

aberjohnny24
Jan 17, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hey stevetim, I'm not irrate whatsoever. I'm more irrate, well I wouldn't say irrate, maybe frustrated, about how everywhere around my city is 3G and we aren't :-( Hopefully SOON we will get 3G, but every quarter that goes by without it I'm beginning to lose faith :-/ Oh well, still happy with everything else!

countrydweller
Jan 17, 2010, 07:11 PM
I just came from the AT&T store. They told me an unlimited everything plan would cost me about $440 for a five iPhone plan. Right now I pay about $300 with basically unlimited everything except one Blackberry doesn't have data, planing on another iPhone when the new one comes out.

Gix1k
Jan 17, 2010, 08:30 PM
Does this mean my family plan will go down $30 a month?

Yankeexpress
Jan 17, 2010, 10:00 PM
I called ATT yesterday to complain about my bill. Without even bothering to listen to me, the customer service lady offered me a $250 credit to begin with. Then she sorted out my problems.

We have 3 iPhones on the 550 Family Plan, a 2G, a 3G and my 3GS. The 2G had been deactivated when I upgraded and later reactivated with a new phone number. Somehow it wasn't pit on the family plan and I paid 2 months of ala carte charges before noticing the problem (I was out of the country)

The overages amounted to Under $80. I got the monthly bill down to $158 plus taxes. It's not unlimited, but still more than we use data and voice (no texting- we use Text plus for free)

oh yeah... she thru in another 1000 voice minutes we'll never use on top of the 900 we have accumulated.

I've been an ATT customer forever (since the '80s) and a stock holder, so I'm happy they are working to keep customers from churning.

To hedge my bets and as a safety I also have a new Verizon MiFi to run my kids Mac Book, our 2 iPod Touches and my windows laptop when away from the house. All cell coverage is holy (full of dead spots) here in rural Vermont. The iPhones can get on the MiFi thru WiFi as well when ATT is TU.

Stella
Jan 17, 2010, 10:39 PM
Why is this even page 1? Its AT&T, so what!?

Anyone would think AT&T is the exclusive iPhone provider to the entire planet! ( Well, if you american, then you may think the u.s. is the entire planet :-) )

Would a headline such as "Vodaphone reduces iPhone contracts by #30" or, "Rogers reduces iPhone contracts by $30" make page 1.

I doubt it.

This is page 2 material, at most.

AidenShaw
Jan 17, 2010, 11:47 PM

Or page 3, since Igadgets aren't "Macs" - as in the site title "MacRumors".

davidbrummy
Jan 18, 2010, 01:07 AM

Anyone would think AT&T is the exclusive iPhone provider to the entire planet! ( Well, if you american, then you may think the u.s. is the entire planet :-) )

I doubt it.

I love it when people do an anti US post forgetting that Apple is a US company and the majority of iPhone users and members of this site are in the US. BTW I am a Brit who lives in San Francisco.

They don't call this Silicon Valley for nothing. :)

davidbrummy
Jan 18, 2010, 01:16 AM

Would a headline such as "Vodaphone reduces iPhone contracts by #30" or, "Rogers reduces iPhone contracts by $30" make page 1.

I doubt it.

BTW I would be interested if Rogers dropped the price of their plan so I can compare across countries. The UK for instance is a complete rip off with companies knowing they can charge more compared to the US.

It also still amazes me how they get away with charging such high international roaming rates. It is cheaper to buy a pay as go phone in the UK than use my US phone whilst over there.

Crazy.

Locoboof
Jan 18, 2010, 06:02 AM
I just changed my plan......when you logg into AT&T's site and go to your account,then select change my rate plan.....you will see nation unlimited for 69.99. It says it takes effect instantly...

Stella
Jan 18, 2010, 06:46 AM
I love it when people do an anti US post forgetting that Apple is a US company and the majority of iPhone users and members of this site are in the US. BTW I am a Brit who lives in San Francisco.

They don't call this Silicon Valley for nothing. :)

There's nothing anti american about my post, its targeted toward a page 1 article relating to AT&T.

@davidbrummy - LOL, Hell will freeze over when Robeltus ( Rogers, Bell, Telus ) is cheaper than any UK carriers!

Canada has one of the most expensive charges in the world, whilst being one of the most profitable carriers in the world. We even have to pay for Voice Mail, and often Caller ID, on average $7 each! "Evening" free calls start at @9pm on Rogers... Don't get me started about the Roger's Bogus "Government Regulatory Recovery Fee" ( its not a government mandatory fee ) that Rogers adds on.

The UK has pretty good cell phone pricing in comparison!

Supermacguy
Jan 18, 2010, 07:16 AM
FREE TEXTING PLEASE! :mad:

bpd115
Jan 18, 2010, 09:53 AM

Good luck with that.

cmwade77
Jan 18, 2010, 11:31 AM
It's still overpriced, with T-Mobile (who I get better coverage with in general than the AT&T phone) we can get unlimited talk for $45.99 per month (up to three lines, then it costs more again, but still cheaper than AT&T). We al get unlimited text for up to four lines for $14.99. Although I still maintain that texting is simply a form of data and if you pay for an unlimited data plan it should automatically include unlimited texting.

turbineseaplane
Jan 18, 2010, 12:31 PM
Definitely do the change online.

I had originally called in to do it since I was away from the computer and the AT&T rep had absolutely no clue about this recent announcement.

Typical.

nelsonlowe
Jan 18, 2010, 01:00 PM
Awesome. But $99 is still expensive.

NathanA
Jan 18, 2010, 02:13 PM
We have 3 iPhones on the 550 Family Plan, a 2G, a 3G and my 3GS. [...] I got the monthly bill down to $158 plus taxes. It's not unlimited, but still more than we use data and voice (no texting- we use Text plus for free)

Okay, so if I am reading this correctly, you are paying $158 before taxes for a plan that should add up to ... $149.98?

(Family 550 for $59.99 which comes with 2 phones. Add $9.99 for the third = $69.98. Add $30/ea for the 2 3G iPhones for data = $129.98. Add $20 for the iPhone 2G data = $149.98.)

Am I missing something here?

-- Nathan

TurboSC
Jan 18, 2010, 02:29 PM
wow. so much for the thousands of rollover minutes I've accumulated... looks like those are going down the drain.

kingtj
Jan 18, 2010, 03:05 PM
What *would* be nice is to see AT&T start applying their "rollover minutes" concept to limited texting plans, though. If I pay for, say, 200 SMS's per month with my iPhone plan and only use 50 one month, I think the other 150 I pre-paid for should roll-over to the next month.

Good luck with that.

Yankeexpress
Jan 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
Okay, so if I am reading this correctly, you are paying $158 before taxes for a plan that should add up to ... $149.98?

(Family 550 for $59.99 which comes with 2 phones. Add $9.99 for the third = $69.98. Add $30/ea for the 2 3G iPhones for data = $129.98. Add $20 for the iPhone 2G data = $149.98.)

Am I missing something here?

-- Nathan

Yeah, what you're missing, and I forgot to add in is Canada plan for $4 on 2 of the phones.

Yankeexpress
Jan 18, 2010, 03:15 PM

I already have free texting. Get the app called Text plus = free texting supported by ads. Works great. Ignore the ads.

Yankeexpress
Jan 18, 2010, 03:19 PM
wow. so much for the thousands of rollover minutes I've accumulated... looks like those are going down the drain.

Not true... call up ATT and get them to let you keep them. They even added 1000 minutes when I called, in addition to the $250 credit to my account. I'm a happy customer.

Supraking
Jan 18, 2010, 04:16 PM
Might I introduce you both to the private message function of these forums? It would allow you to bicker amongst yourselves without the rest of us needing to wade through it...Why do you feel offended by that?

I really enjoyed reading what they wrote to so see if I could learn something new.

stevetim
Jan 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hey stevetim, I'm not irrate whatsoever. I'm more irrate, well I wouldn't say irrate, maybe frustrated, about how everywhere around my city is 3G and we aren't :-( Hopefully SOON we will get 3G, but every quarter that goes by without it I'm beginning to lose faith :-/ Oh well, still happy with everything else!

OK. Time to get irate. As of Monday(today), the limited minute plans haven't changed in price. Only the unlimited plans have had a price drop.

Hmmm. 1350 minutes for $59.99, or unlimited for $69.99? They could at least make the difference $20 to give the illusion of "value".

I feel for you and the lack of 3G. This is where ATT needs to take a note from the book of internet providers such as Comcast.

I have the 12Mbps(I think) from Comcast and it costs me $55 a month. If I got the next step down service(6Mbps?), it would cost me something like $35 a month.
So, if ATT sells a data plan across the board for $30 a month to iPhone users, that should be the premium service(3G), and there should at least be a $10 discount to those who don't have access to this coverage but have 3G iPhones. Follow?

deconstruct60
Jan 18, 2010, 05:00 PM

Ouch for whom? Doing some simple math:

$500 * 20,000 = $10M

So a product does $10M of sales in a week on a single cell service carrier and somehow it is a failure. Seriously? If the Nexus phones go cash flow positive then it is successful for Google. The company would not be out any money, the Android platform is more viable , and more folks are using Google service ( which is the bread & butter money).

Remember also that there are more affordable Android phones available directly from Tmobile. Success, or not, for now has to be normalized over the number of "higher end" smartphone sales done by Tmobile. If that went up it is a winner.

Granted the sales growth will be slower because many won't buy one until they see/handle one ( $500 is a big leap to make when you haven't touched it at all. ). However, Google's fixed costs are also lower since they outsourced most of the engineering on the phone too ( built to spec by HTC).

There are only 2-3 vendors that sell more personal computers than Apple. However, that other platform as a whole is the bigger winner in the market.
There is no reason why Google by itself has to sell more phones than Apple does to be a success. Besides task #1 would be to kill off Windows Mobile. Not outsell Apple.