PDA

View Full Version : 'Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars' Released for iPhone and iPod Touch

MacRumors
Jan 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/01/17/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-released-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/01/18/000244-gta2.jpg

TouchArcade reports (http://toucharcade.com/) that Rockstar games (http://www.rockstargames.com/) has released Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (http://appshopper.com/games/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars) for the iPhone and iPod Touch this evening. Chinatown Wars for the iPhone seems to lie somewhere in between the DS and PSP versions in regards to graphical quality, but as far as pure GTA gameplay, everything so far seems intact. (Complete with an awful lot of swearing.)
Grand Theft Auto is an incredibly popular gaming franchise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_(series)) that was originally released for PCs and has since been brought to console platforms including handheld devices such as the DS and PSP. The iPhone version represents the first iPhone game coming from Rockstar games.

TouchArcade has first impressions (http://toucharcade.com/2010/01/17/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-out-in-u-s-too-first-impressions-and-video/) as well as this gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmcT8bh99HQ

Article Link: 'Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars' Released for iPhone and iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/01/17/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-released-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

LinMac
Jan 17, 2010, 11:16 PM
Downloading it now. It looks promising. :D

theheadguy
Jan 17, 2010, 11:19 PM
Really nice demo...

usasalazar
Jan 17, 2010, 11:36 PM
Arrow right and left to steer the car?! Controller FAIL!

Saladinos
Jan 18, 2010, 01:12 AM
Thank God it didn't get rejected!

admanimal
Jan 18, 2010, 01:52 AM
The iPhone version represents the first iPhone game coming from Rockstar games.

I'm pretty sure Beaterator is also from Rockstar, unless you just meant the first GTA game.

greg400
Jan 18, 2010, 02:32 AM

Yeah, it really looks painful to control. I'll stick with the DS version as that was the system the game was intended for.

JoeKozy
Jan 18, 2010, 03:07 AM
So much for all the 'iPhone has better graphics capabilities than the PSP' talk, i'm still waiting for a game with that visual wow=factor.

djdole
Jan 18, 2010, 03:37 AM
The absolute most racist opening music ever. O_O
Do the CG fat fingers also come wit the app? :-p

What they need to do is release the original GTA2.
Cooooooop Kill'a!
Elvis has LEFT the building!
RAMPAGE!

THAT would be an instant hit.

svndmvn
Jan 18, 2010, 04:26 AM

you can use a virtual joystick as well, just like for walking

Dagless
Jan 18, 2010, 04:57 AM
A mighty fine game, I recommend those without a DS or PSP to get it (so long as the controls are good on this one). I bought the DS one last year and it's a massive time sink. Enjoy it more than the console version of GTAIV!

RedTomato
Jan 18, 2010, 05:12 AM
Is the dialogue subtitled?

-Ryan-
Jan 18, 2010, 05:25 AM
Is the dialogue subtitled?

It's only subtitled. There is no voice acting in the game.

Dagless
Jan 18, 2010, 05:29 AM
Also: you/they should have taken that screenshot a minute later.

SimonTheSoundMa
Jan 18, 2010, 05:58 AM
So much for all the 'iPhone has better graphics capabilities than the PSP' talk, i'm still waiting for a game with that visual wow=factor.

I'm venting the same anger too. Why they can't port say, the PSP version of Vice City.

Instead we have a game with controls that resemble GTA 1. :mad:

RedTomato
Jan 18, 2010, 05:59 AM
It's only subtitled. There is no voice acting in the game.

Thanks for that. I do like sandbox games, might check it out. Do prefer them on a bigger screen though.

Asar
Jan 18, 2010, 06:25 AM
I'm venting the same anger too. Why they can't port say, the PSP version of Vice City.

I agree. Gangstar is the best GTA type game to date for the iPhone.

RedTomato
Jan 18, 2010, 06:32 AM
I have Gangstar and CarJack - both are nice, but take a bit of time to get into.

CarJack is top-down, and really reminds me of the old GTA. Gangstar is 3D and pretty nice, and has more of that 'ignore goals and explore stuff' feel to me.

txa1265
Jan 18, 2010, 08:40 AM

Maybe because Chinatown Wars is better than any of the prior PSP games by a long-shot? And better than the over-rated GTA 4 as well ...

Andy-V
Jan 18, 2010, 09:38 AM

Vice City Stories for PSP wouldn't run on the iPhone I don't think. Gangstar looks more like Driver (from the PS1) while VCS uses the same city as the PS2 version of Vice City.

You can see the difference:

Gangstar:http://megascorcher.net/images/gangstar1.png
VCS: http://media.gtanet.com/images/2979.jpg

mac 2005
Jan 18, 2010, 09:38 AM
Thank God it didn't get rejected!

Yes, the availability of a game simulating theft, murder and mayhem is, indeed, a miracle. :o

drinu89
Jan 18, 2010, 09:45 AM
I just spent 30 minutes playing it and I'm sorry to say that this game su#ks. The graphics are below standard. Personally I think that you can't just port a game, it needs to be written specifically for the iphone.

I played Gangster before and I like its user interface, but I thought that once gta comes out for the iphone it will be an upgrade of grapichs and better gameplay. Well I was wrong.

What I don't like most is the camera. It seems to be far away and the gameplay doesn't feel 3D at all. When driving, it feels like you're playing one of those facebook flash games.

Just my opinion ppl,
cheers:)

Asar
Jan 18, 2010, 10:07 AM
Vice City Stories for PSP wouldn't run on the iPhone I don't think. Gangstar looks more like Driver (from the PS1) while VCS uses the same city as the PS2 version of Vice City.

but by a long shot, this looks like a way better comparison than this new gta for iphone. seems like rockstar is going backwards.

Asar
Jan 18, 2010, 10:08 AM

but by a long shot, this looks like a way better comparison than this new gta for iphone. seems like rockstar is going backwards.

enberg
Jan 18, 2010, 12:43 PM
So what about gameplay, worth the money? I don't care too much about graphics on such a constrained device (Unless it's absolutely horrible).

teidon
Jan 18, 2010, 01:00 PM
I think this is really good game. Lots and lots of content, graphics are good and controls works great. Here's a screenshot from the game (the screenshot in the first post is from some kind of pre-release):
http://i48.tinypic.com/j953wy.png

Everyone is complaining about the car controls - mainly those who haven't played the game - but I really like them. It allows pretty accurate and fast control, and that's all that is needed. If you can't get over those arrow controls, you can change the car steering to analog stick, but I find that more difficult and inaccurate.

nelsonlowe
Jan 18, 2010, 01:03 PM
Whats that suppose to mean? Does Jackie Chan jump out of cars and drop kick people?

Rychiar
Jan 18, 2010, 06:06 PM
i hated every one of these type of gangs in top down fashion. always too hard to control and just look ******. can't get into em. Gangstar on the other hand is amazing. hopin for a sequel

RFR79
Jan 18, 2010, 08:01 PM
I for one will not buy this version of the game. I mean come on...no voice acting and corny jazz music. If rockstar wants to make money off the iPhone/iPod Touch they need to come out with a full game. I'm sure we would all make room one our iPhone/iPod Touchs for a more complete full game that other consoles have. Once they step up their efforts and use the full potential of the iPhone/iPod Touch I will pass.

SnowLeopard2008
Jan 19, 2010, 12:32 AM
Try Driver. It's not a GTA ripoff (as CarJack, Gangstar, and Payback are) and it's a really good port of a poplar game from '90s. It's actually quite fun and the graphics aren't exactly HD, but not absolute crud either.

Errk!
Jan 19, 2010, 01:48 AM
Bought it and played a few minutes of it...the graphics and sound are really good, but all of the controls - on foot or in a vehicle - are horrendous. There is absolutely no precision to the controls, making it impossible to pick a fight or drive without hitting anything and everything. I'm surprised people are saying the controls are good - they aren't.

I can't imagine what kind of hindrance this turns into on later, harder missions.

teidon
Jan 19, 2010, 07:19 AM
no voice acting and corny jazz music.Lack of voice acting can be considered as a good thing because the game file is already 620MB, and I don't know how much it's installed. And you can very much change radio channel like in every other GTA game if jazz isn't your thing. You can even create your own radio station by creating playlist called "GTA", and then switching the radio to Independent FM or something like that. You can even define the channel what you prefer listening, so that you don't need to switch it every time you get into a car.

If rockstar wants to make money off the iPhone/iPod Touch they need to come out with a full game.Come out with full game? What makes GTA: CTW not full game? Content wise GTA: CTW is among the biggest games in App Store, if not the biggest. The city is huge and there's a lot of different kind of minigames besides the main storyline.

And let's not forget that if critics are to be believed, GTA: CTW is the best game on Nintendo DS, and the second best game on PSP (based on review score averages). So what more do you want from an iPhone / iPod Touch game?

I'm surprised people are saying the controls are good - they aren't.Well, I find them pretty good. The only bad thing in controls is the on foot controls, mainly shooting. But that, like driving, is something that takes some time to get used to. The main thing with both is to control as little as possible. When driving, the game will automaticly align your car for as long as you aren't touching the steering arrows. Similarily when shooting, you need to face an enemy, take off your left thumb and keep the fire button down and your character will keep targeting the enemy. I think it will keep targeting the enemy even if you are moving for as long as you are moving to the general direction of the enemy. It would be nice though if there were some kind of target locking, but I think I can do without.

You can, by the way, practise shooting, free of charge, in the Gun Club (southwest from the airport, listen for gunfire and look for yellow arrows, I think the door is on the south side of the building) and make some money while your at it.

EDIT: Went back to the Gun Club to train some more, and there indeed is target locking. Just face an enemy and a circle will appear underneath him. Then just hit the fire button down and your character will keep that enemy locked till you lift the fire button. You can move freely while you are shooting at the enemy.

txa1265
Jan 19, 2010, 11:33 AM
Crap ... well apparently the game requires 2nd gen iPod Touch ... any clue why?!?

OrangeCuse44
Jan 19, 2010, 12:39 PM
Anyone with the game, can you play your iPod music instead of using the in game "radio?"

teidon
Jan 19, 2010, 01:38 PM
Crap ... well apparently the game requires 2nd gen iPod Touch ... any clue why?!?Not sure why, but there is a way to run it on first gen devices too. Here's a how to (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=41756).

Anyone with the game, can you play your iPod music instead of using the in game "radio?"I don't think it's possible to disable music, but you can make a playlist called "GTA" and then switch the in-game radio to Independence FM and it will play the contents of that playlist.

OrangeCuse44
Jan 19, 2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think it's possible to disable music, but you can make a playlist called "GTA" and then switch the in-game radio to Independence FM and it will play the contents of that playlist.

Interesting, thank you.

Side question, when you play music in games like this, does it affect play counts as if you were just playing normally through your iPod?

waynechriss
Jan 19, 2010, 02:45 PM
Played the game for a day straight and i love it. It runs incredibly smooth on my iPod Touch 2nd Gen, the controls are fine, driving is remarkably easy since there are some assists (someone locking onto a lane but there is a lot of leverage). On foot controls are easy i don't see the horrendous troubles people complain about. Lots of activities, missions to do (selling/buying drugs is deep and addicting). The graphics is awesome, clearly more relatable to the PSP version than the DS (seems like only the people in the game are cel shaded whereas the world is 3D graphics).

My only two gripes is the shooting and the custom playlist. The shooting controls need some work because when u equip a weapon, you target anyone your character is facing which can cause for a lot of missing and unnecessary killings. And the custom playlist is cool but i wish it would randomize everytime i start the game cuz it loops all the way back to the first song and that does not make for pick up and play sessions since you'll hear the same song over and over.

$10 for Chinatown Wars is a STEAL. Even the DS version is still $20 in the bargain bin. I played Payback and Gangstar but this is the definite free-roaming GTA game cuz it is GTA.

bshakil
Jan 21, 2010, 06:31 AM
been waiting for this game for soo long....awesome graphics.....totally worth it

txa1265
Jan 21, 2010, 09:00 AM
Not sure why, but there is a way to run it on first gen devices too. Here's a how to (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=41756).

Thanks very much - with the help of that thread I'm up and running on my 1st gen, and it works perfectly!

odog402
Jan 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
Controls are lame but at $10 this is still a decent buy. I wanted to buy it on my PSP go but didn't want to shell out $30 for a game I'll play less than 20 mins a day.

ozzyman500
Jan 21, 2010, 04:20 PM
This game is horrible. I'm staying away from $10 for awhile.

Nuvi
Jan 22, 2010, 07:56 PM
Maybe because Chinatown Wars is better than any of the prior PSP games by a long-shot? And better than the over-rated GTA 4 as well ...

Chill blind fanboy. GTA Vice City Stories on PSP beats any iPhone game so easily it ain't eaven funny (and there are many other great titles on PSP). You obviously don't know what you're talking about or you really are blid.

Nuvi
Jan 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
Lack of voice acting can be considered as a good thing because the game file is already 620MB, and I don't know how much it's installed.

Its not 620 MB... Its far from it with total of 188 MB.

txa1265
Jan 22, 2010, 09:20 PM
Chill blind fanboy. GTA Vice City Stories on PSP beats any iPhone game so easily it ain't eaven funny (and there are many other great titles on PSP). You obviously don't know what you're talking about or you really are blid.

Um ... kindly catch a clue before you call me a fanboy. What fanboy are you accusing me of - a DS fanboy who bought GTA: Chinatown Wars last March on day of release? A PSP fanboy who bought GTA: Chinatown Wars last October on day of release? Heck, I hadn't even managed to get GTA:CW on my first-gen Touch at that point.

I'm not a GTA fanboy by any stretch, nor am I a fanboy of any handheld gaming platform - I have several and like playing games on all of them. Having played all of the PSP GTA games I found that Chinatown Wars was definitely superior in every way to the rest. Until you have played all of them through on the same platform, you are not in the position for an informed position.

northy124
Jan 24, 2010, 09:51 AM
I have to admit even with the crappy controls and average graphics this game is one of the best out on iPhone right now IMO :D

Although 5.99 is a bit rich seeing as they cut the voices out but I think I can live with Subtitles :eek:

completeidiot23
Jan 25, 2010, 11:52 PM
I have to admit even with the crappy controls and average graphics this game is one of the best out on iPhone right now IMO :D

Although 5.99 is a bit rich seeing as they cut the voices out but I think I can live with Subtitles :eek:

there was only ped chatter that they cut out, and this is a port from a ds game where there was only subtitles.

pavenger
Jan 26, 2010, 02:53 AM
Its not 620 MB... Its far from it with total of 188 MB.

Thats the size of the download, long before it is decompressed... Actual size according to iTunes: 618MB. know the facts before calling someone out. MANY games and apps from itunes are compressed.

Spinnetti
Jan 27, 2010, 02:26 PM

+1!

acole2010
Jan 29, 2010, 02:02 PM
Take a look at Assassin's creed. The graphics for it are pretty stunning although I can not compare it to the psp because I haven't played on one of those since they came out.

jabingla2810
Feb 1, 2010, 04:08 AM
I cant believe some people in this topic.

Chinatown Wars IS a full GTA game.
It was designed for handheld systems, and thats why it plays so well.

It has more features that any previous GTA games.
It has full 3D graphics (yes, they are 3D) that look fantastic on a small screen.

Liberty City Stories and Vice city stories were ports of a PS2 game, and didnt play nearly as well as chinatown wars.

Im not a fanboy of any system, even the psp version of this game is better than both VCS and LCS.

So, youve got a massive fully featured GTA game, on your mobile phone, for 6 and some people arent happy?!

Unbelievable, I dont know why rockstar bother sometimes

Kids today are absolutly spoilt and clueless about what makes a good game.

Move the camera behind the character, like GTA4 for example, and the controls and gameplay would fall apart on anything without a dedicated control pad.

Taustin Powers
Feb 1, 2010, 08:30 AM
I cant believe some people in this topic.

Chinatown Wars IS a full GTA game.
It was designed for handheld systems, and thats why it plays so well.

It has more features that any previous GTA games.
It has full 3D graphics (yes, they are 3D) that look fantastic on a small screen.

Liberty City Stories and Vice city stories were ports of a PS2 game, and didnt play nearly as well as chinatown wars.

Im not a fanboy of any system, even the psp version of this game is better than both VCS and LCS.

So, youve got a massive fully featured GTA game, on your mobile phone, for 6 and some people arent happy?!

Unbelievable, I dont know why rockstar bother sometimes

Kids today are absolutly spoilt and clueless about what makes a good game.

Move the camera behind the character, like GTA4 for example, and the controls and gameplay would fall apart on anything without a dedicated control pad.

I agree with everything you say, except the bolded part. Gangstar did it, and the controls work pretty well in my opinion. It doesn't have the depth of gameplay to make it an overall great title like GTA, but that is not due to the camera perspective.

macboner
Feb 7, 2010, 12:09 PM
I've loved every GTA since the 2d originals on the PC but this just doesn't do it for me. I don't think the iPhone is cut out for these kinds of games and it seems to struggle on the 3G