Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

Can you please help me decide which one's better option, iPod Touch 8GB or iPod Classic 120GB. I hate the sensitivity of the iPod Touch though if anyone sees you with the gadget makes you feel 'chic' and kinda show-off. With the classic, i would have the higher capacity and a bit bulky plus, I am also considering my budget. Thanks for your help in advance.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
what's your budget...? how much music are you planning to put in your ipod? to me, it seems that you have your mindset set on the 120gb. just remember that the ipod touch can act as a mini computer (esp when you are laying in bed and cant sleep...and dont wna turn on your computer). i'd go with the touch, not the 8gb but the 32 :p. goodluck.

jtmx29

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Connecticut
From my personal standpoint I would say the iPod Touch. You can do an amazing amount of things with it and it will keep you satisfied. However, size is a limitation. As for the Classic I would only purchase it if you want your whole media library with you at all times.

robj

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Madrid, Spain
The difference between the models are obvious, is more a personal decission.

If it was my decission I would buy an iPod Touch. The posibilities that iPod touch offers are too much wider than ipod classic.
I'm talking about the App Store, the bigger screen for watching movies or the connectivity capabilities, to say some of them.

But if you really need the extra space over those capabilities, go for a classic.

nj21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
thanks guys... i have been looking for comparisons in the net. one good point i've found is that the ipod classic has HDs that fail in time against the ipod touch's solid state memory and no moving parts. an ipod touch 8gb or 16gb would be enough for me... what do you think?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
There is no comparison. With the Touch u can do so many things than just listen to music. U can stream music from hundreds of stations off the net, just mind blowing.

nj21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
There is no comparison. With the Touch u can do so many things than just listen to music. U can stream music from hundreds of stations off the net, just mind blowing.

yeah but here in the middle east, there's no free wi-fi... and I own a macbook so is an iPod 16GB touch worth buying? or just go for the iPod nano haha...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
id say classic, but thats because i like to have all my music with me - lossless *drool.

i find the touch too annoying to change songs, i generally only listen to one artist, then another, then another. easier on the classic.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I've got an iPhone and an iPod Video (so basically a touch and a classic). I do not keep any music on my iPhone.

thanks guys... i have been looking for comparisons in the net. one good point i've found is that the ipod classic has HDs that fail in time against the ipod touch's solid state memory and no moving parts. an ipod touch 8gb or 16gb would be enough for me... what do you think?

This is technically true, but in 5 years (yes I have a 5 year old spare iPod I still use) I've never had a hard drive based iPod fail and I am clumsy. I recently thought about replacing my iPod and was between the Touch and the Classic. I was much more afraid of dropping the touch and shattering the screen than I was of breaking the HD. Most people (in my experience) replace their iPods because of battery death, not HD death.

id say classic, but thats because i like to have all my music with me - lossless *drool.

i find the touch too annoying to change songs, i generally only listen to one artist, then another, then another. easier on the classic.

And here's why I don't use my iPhone for music - the interface on the Classic is just so much more intuitive. I've had my iPhone for a year, I have used it as a primary iPod in that time and I've never completely adapted to the controls. They look nice but they're just not quite right. Someone who's been using it as an iPod every day for a month shouldn't be only just stopping themselves from hitting the wrong buttons.

At the end of the day though, it is personal preference. Will you ever watch video on it? It's pretty rare for me to do so on a bus or anything (I did used to when I had hour long lunch breaks on my own at work) Do you want games and apps? The apps I use most are ones where I need internet in the street (bus times, find a cash machine, look up a restaurant no. etc), if I'm at home I choose my computer and I'm not huge on games. I do like being able to use my iPhone as an ebook reader though.

I back the classic though. Better music player than the touch for sure.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
This is technically true, but in 5 years (yes I have a 5 year old spare iPod I still use) I've never had a hard drive based iPod fail and I am clumsy. I recently thought about replacing my iPod and was between the Touch and the Classic. I was much more afraid of dropping the touch and shattering the screen than I was of breaking the HD. Most people (in my experience) replace their iPods because of battery death, not HD death.
my ipod classic 60GB is coming on 3 years old i think. still going perfectly strong! got an old mini that is +4 years and going great.

And here's why I don't use my iPhone for music - the interface on the Classic is just so much more intuitive. I've had my iPhone for a year, I have used it as a primary iPod in that time and I've never completely adapted to the controls. They look nice but they're just not quite right. Someone who's been using it as an iPod every day for a month shouldn't be only just stopping themselves from hitting the wrong buttons.

At the end of the day though, it is personal preference. Will you ever watch video on it? It's pretty rare for me to do so on a bus or anything (I did used to when I had hour long lunch breaks on my own at work) Do you want games and apps? The apps I use most are ones where I need internet in the street (bus times, find a cash machine, look up a restaurant no. etc), if I'm at home I choose my computer and I'm not huge on games. I do like being able to use my iPhone as an ebook reader though.

I back the classic though. Better music player than the touch for sure.
pretty much agree with everything you said there! the classic just makes it so much easier to view everything - no complaints from me at all. having the buttons available to go next/menu etc is much easier then on the touch where you have to hold down on the touch screen. on transport thats pretty hard to do!

in the end though, the main difference is space - for me anyway.

i wonder if there is a noticeable difference between the sound output of an identical file. do they use the same sound cards? meh.

Kevin07

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Classic All the way

Hey I would go for the iPod Classic. I currently own a 60Gb classic and loving it. I have loaded heaps of movies and music on my iPod and still amazingly i still got 30Gb left. But soon in the new future the iPod is being dumped. If you would like to support the Classic join this group on facebook that I created!

!!!!!The link below is not Spam or advertisment just some support for the classic!!!!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&gid=150440376583#/group.php?gid=150440376583&ref=

Still I would recommend the classic to anyone who is looking for a great music player!!!!

TREV21

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Have Both!

I currently own a 120 GB silver classic. Use it mostly for music and that's it...screen is too small for me to use it for pics and video. Just bought a 64 GB Touch for all the goodness of an iPhone minus calls. Can't wait to get it from Amazon, paid $357.00 for it. Was looking at the 32GB but figured since my classic has lots on it I wanted to make sure I had room for movies and apps! Once 64GB iPhone is out I'll upgrade and give the Touch to my son so he can play his games on it.

Joewebster

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
New York
Well, let's look at it logically.

120 Gig Classic:
Pros: 160GB
Cons: Not an all around pocket PC

iPod Touch 8GB:
Pros: Web browsing, tons of apps.
Cons: only 8GB and you don't like the sensitivity.

So depends what you want to use it for. Go with the classic if you have a ton of data like music and video you want to put on it, and go with the touch if you want a miniature computer in your pocket.

Also, I'd wait to make your decision until Apple unbails their new "creation" on the 27th to see if you want that more, or if the new itouch software appeals to you or not.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
I'd also buy a classic. Don't worry about HDD failiure...mine is more than 3 years old and its still going strong(just the battery life is low now...). Its much more solid and ipod touch is easier to break ( the screen mainly).

Buy ipod touch only if you need apps and internet on the go ... its a really good device for that...but if you just want to listen to music then go for classic!

frankiepdx

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Portland OR
I used to own a classic until I bought a Touch. Since music seems to be the first choice over games, etc., I say go for the Touch. But this is where apps come in handy. You can find so many different ways to listen to music over Wi-Fi. From Pandora to Slacker to ooTunes to Sirius XM. I could go on and on. Now if you have a huge collection you must carry around or you need to have lossless audio, the Classic the one.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
my ipod classic 60GB is coming on 3 years old i think. still going perfectly strong! got an old mini that is +4 years and going great.

You've got the exact same iPods as me I think :) Love the mini to death.

But soon in the new future the iPod is being dumped.

I still really hope they just put flash memory in it instead of killing it dead (and added other things like Nike+ and radio). Thin it down for the first time since 2005 - I'd hate for the touch to be my only choice for a full sized iPod.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK

5 Years daily use iPod 3G.

Still going strong.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
what's your budget...? how much music are you planning to put in your ipod? to me, it seems that you have your mindset set on the 120gb. just remember that the ipod touch can act as a mini computer (esp when you are laying in bed and cant sleep...and dont wna turn on your computer). i'd go with the touch, not the 8gb but the 32 :p. goodluck.

This is something that I never really gave that much thought to until I got my iPhone. I now spend a lot of time when I am watching football or something else and laying on the coach or having a beer at my counter bar, and doing stuff on the internet. Or if I hear something on the TV, I can look it up without having to go to my iMac.

Of course if your sole purpose is music, well I guess the extra capacity of the classic is hard to beat but if you think you may find other uses, such as streaming from last.fm, Sirius, or Pandora, the Touch is hard to beat.

sarashah

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
iPod Touch:
1) Yes, it's very cool. And no, it doesn't wear out. I've had mine for a while, and the applications never make the iPod old. :D

2) There are tons of games you can choose from, so yes, some suck, but others are really fun. Most of the games are cheap (Free - $0.99) so it's not really a waste of money.

3) The prices would probably go down.

iPod Classic:

1) They do break, my dad had one, and it broke. I'm not sure about the running part. When my dad's broke it was pretty old already, and he treated it really bad. So I think that if you take care of it, it will last.

2) No, I think the Touch is better to watch movies on.

Side Note: Sorry, I don't know.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I currently own a 120 GB silver classic. Use it mostly for music and that's it...screen is too small for me to use it for pics and video. Just bought a 64 GB Touch for all the goodness of an iPhone minus calls. Can't wait to get it from Amazon, paid $357.00 for it. Was looking at the 32GB but figured since my classic has lots on it I wanted to make sure I had room for movies and apps! Once 64GB iPhone is out I'll upgrade and give the Touch to my son so he can play his games on it.

I have both, too and have been through this particular debate. For a very long time, I was a huge fan of the classic (had a 30GB which lasted over three years) and bought an 80GB in Sept 2008 which I still use daily, it is an excellent sturdy device, which has never failed me. The reasons I loved (and still do) the classic were all of the ones posted here - great capacity (and I am passionate about my music and wanted all of my music on one device; besides, I travel a lot and am away for months at a time), and an excellent battery life.

Last summer, I decided to add a 120GB to my 80GB (I am in a place where if an iPod dies, one goes without until music until the next trip to western Europe), and most unfortunately, it had died by September.

Unfortunately, the point about the sometimes faulty HD of the classic is all too true; writing from personal experience, I can state that an earlier 30GB had also expired in 2006. Both cased were HD failure. Granted, in both cases, upon production of a sales receipt, the response was an immediate offer of a refund/repair/replacement which I availed of in 2006 when my 30GB clasic was replaced with the same model which then lasted - and was used very often - over three years. (This excellent customer service was one of the reasons I switched to an Apple MBP).

However, this HD failure is an unfortunately undeniable feature on a small number of classics; yes, Apple do respond immediately, (provided it is within warranty) but it is still a nuisance. Last Sepetmber, when I returned home after my classic had expired, I brought the moribund object to the place where I had bought it, produced the sales receipt, and was offered an immediate refund/replacement.

Actually, at the time, I just wanted another classic, as I believed that all of the hype and spin surroundingt he Touch was just that, namely hype and spin. The problem was they didn't have the classic in stock, and it would not have arrived for another week, by which time I was due to return to the Caucasus. So, I asked about the Touch, and paid the difference in price for the 64GB (as I wished to have my entire music collection on it).

Cue complete conversion: I love the Touch, the battery life (which had been a fear of mine) is excellent (as long as one is simply listening to music, rather than surfing, and the sound is extremely good), the capacity is extensive, and the Touch can do a great many other things as well. It is really incredibly good, and I am still exploring the many and varied capabilities of this fantastic device.

So, the answer to your query is, it depends on what you want; if you want simply music (which is what I wanted), the classic is the obvious choice, but the Touch can do that, and so much more besides. I have both now and use both on a daily basis; the classic goes to work with me, and the Touch stays where I live.

Cheers and good luck

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Fiddle Factor

iPod Touch Fiddle Factor is easily an 11.

That means lots of arsing around killing the battery.

Absolutly certain the reason my ancient 3rd Gen 40GB is still going strong is that there's not actually that much to do apart from listen to music.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
I'll eventually be in a similar situation. I've got a 30gig iPod with video, use it only for music, works great. Only recently has my music collection grown too large to fit on my iPod (nearing 60 gigs).

I plan on getting a 64gig iPod Touch when the price drops during the next round of iPod revisions (assuming next September). If you have time, you can always budget for a larger-capacity iPod. An 8gig might be more affordable, but you will have to be really stingy about what music you put on it, and forget about video or photos.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Like ...

... already mentionned: The classic iPod is THE music listening machine, the iPod Touch THE mobile internet solution.

Our setup reflects those purposes, kind of:

- an iPod 4G "ClickWheel" (2004), fitted with a 16GB CF flash card, fulfills our needs for in ear tunes and pumps our daughters radio speakers with her favourite music via FM transmitter - no, she won´t use the CDs for cooking purposes.

- an iPod Touch 32GB 1G for the mobile internet, when you lounge on the couch, are on the road or have family visits (and can´t occupy their computer) asf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.