PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs on Apple Tablet: 'This will be the most important thing I've ever done."

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jan 24, 2010, 07:51 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/24/steve-jobs-on-apple-tablet-this-will-be-the-most-important-thing-iíve-ever-done/)

Tech Crunch reports (http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/24/steve-jobs-tablet-most-important/) that Steve Jobs has been heard saying that the upcoming Apple tablet "will be the most important thing Iíve ever done." They report is said to come from multiple independent sources: We havenít heard this first hand, but weíve heard it multiple times second and third hand from completely independent sources. Senior Apple execs and friends of Jobs are telling people that heís about as excited about the upcoming Apple Tablet as heís ever been. Jobs had been previous quoted as being "extremely happy" (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/23/jobs-extremely-happy-with-upcoming-apple-tablet-and-a-surprise/) with the upcoming tablet.

Apple is holding a media event on January 27th. We'll provide ongoing updates as well as a Spoiler Free page (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/24/january-2010-media-event-spoiler-free-keynote-stream/) if you would rather wait to watch a video of the event yourself after it is posted.

Article Link: Steve Jobs on Apple Tablet: "This Will Be The Most Important Thing Iíve Ever Done." (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/24/steve-jobs-on-apple-tablet-this-will-be-the-most-important-thing-iíve-ever-done/)

Ambrose Chapel
Jan 24, 2010, 07:52 PM
But hey, no pressure...

Eidorian
Jan 24, 2010, 07:53 PM
It seems to be a consistent comment. Though we won't know until it's out. Netbook challenger for profit or something else. We can't seem to agree what the point of the tablet is.

zap2
Jan 24, 2010, 07:55 PM
Oooh, I'm interested...needless to say. But thats true regardless of this report. But still nice to see.

Hopefully it will be as big as this rumor suggests.

powerbook911
Jan 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
I get shivers thinking about this product.

Not only because I think it will be great and make my life more enjoyable/productive.

However, for the fact being, I think this will be the last big thing from Apple/Steve for a very long time. There just isn't somewhere else to create a completely new product / idea after this.

There wil be cool new Macs, much improved iPhones, etc.

However, this may be the last time we really see a whole new idea, a new way of doing things, from Apple, particularly Steve.

thegoldenmackid
Jan 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
I have a feeling that this should be on Page 2.

Ricanlegend
Jan 24, 2010, 07:57 PM
I just bought a macbook in august hopefully the tablet wont hypnotize me enough to buy it :rolleyes: maybe if it cost around $500 dollars i be first to get it :p

Flowbee
Jan 24, 2010, 07:57 PM
I'll be in SF on Wednesday, listening for spontaneous cheers erupting throughout the city.

benlee
Jan 24, 2010, 07:58 PM
I think Apple normally has a difficult time satisfying all the hype, but this tablet is just too much.

I can't wait to see what they unveil ,but its going to be tough to live up to the hype.

adamw
Jan 24, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have also had the feeling that this was Steve Jobs "most important thing" he has ever done. He put so much time (many years) into this device and platform (software/hardware).

I look forward to see what he, and his Apple teams, have come up with on the 27th.

angelwatt
Jan 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
For me, the trick to being able to appreciate whatever announcement that is made, is to not make any prejudgments based on all the rumors. I'll watch the event with fresh eyes and ears and forget the rumors so I can simply appreciate whatever comes for what it's worth. I may really like the tablet, or I may pass on it like the iPhone. I'm OK with it either way. Though, if Jobs truly is this excited about it, then I'll likely be satisfied with it.

Rot'nApple
Jan 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
that Steve Jobs has been heard saying that the upcoming Apple tablet "will be the most important thing Iíve ever done."

Well then, here's wishing you the best success! :apple::cool:

Better than the Mac Cube or Hockey Puck mouse... :rolleyes:

Lesser Evets
Jan 24, 2010, 08:00 PM
Well you gotta say that... you think he's going to release some new product and say, "Well... I really don;t care about it very much."??

ThunderSkunk
Jan 24, 2010, 08:02 PM
"It just makes me... THIS intense."

TheSlush
Jan 24, 2010, 08:03 PM
WHO'S EXCITED??????? :):):):):):):):apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

kcroy
Jan 24, 2010, 08:05 PM
tablet = speech recognition + handwriting recognition + virtual keyboard (you will rarely need to use) + facial recognition + multi-touch gestures + eye guidance + incredibly long battery life + front facing iChat camera and the CLINCHER; it will cost under $600.00

zedsdead
Jan 24, 2010, 08:06 PM
If this quote is true, then this tablet is going to be something very special. Jobs might be thinking that the entire computer and media industries will be changed because of it. I cannot wait until Wednesday.

ThunderSkunk
Jan 24, 2010, 08:07 PM
WHO'S EXCITED??????? :):):):):):):):apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

"I know it's exciting for you, but it's like that for me ALL THE TIME."

Bentov
Jan 24, 2010, 08:09 PM
What was once only going to be used for bathroom reading is now the most important thing he has ever done? I'm impressed. :o OTOH, I'll be getting one. Here's to hoping the UI will be opened enough to have a LCARS interface, I really want to get my geek on.

Bentov.

husker4
Jan 24, 2010, 08:10 PM
tablet = speech recognition + handwriting recognition + virtual keyboard (you will rarely need to use) + facial recognition + multi-touch gestures + eye guidance + incredibly long battery life + front facing iChat camera and the CLINCHER; it will cost under $600.00

this is what i've been thinking about the tablet to. i think the speech recognition will be the most revolutionary part about the tablet. idk about the under $600 part though haha.

SkyBell
Jan 24, 2010, 08:10 PM
I have also had the feeling that this was Steve Jobs "most important thing" he has ever done.
If so, it better change the world. I really doubt this thing could be better then what Apple did for the computing industry in its early days.

iDisk
Jan 24, 2010, 08:12 PM
I can't wait to see Steve on Stage!

He's such a huge inspiration to my life!!

Apple & Steve are the main actually ONLY reasons I want to move to the bay area!!!

Steve is the reason I love software so much!!!! and to some degree the way I think about Art.

I LOVE THIS COMPANY AND ITS CREATOR!!!!!!

APPLE for Life .... Steve Forever!!!!!!!!

<faints>

ShiftyPig
Jan 24, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm still waiting for the first city to be built around a Segway, but I'll give this thing a chance.

tdream
Jan 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
It will be heart warming to see Steve on stage again. Can't wait for the 27th :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Bentov
Jan 24, 2010, 08:14 PM

Yo, Steve, you're not like Jared, eat a double cheeseburger man :D

ravenvii
Jan 24, 2010, 08:15 PM
Well then this better have a front-facing camera, and NOT be called the iPad.

lilo777
However, for the fact being, I think this will be the last big thing from Apple/Steve for a very long time. There just isn't somewhere else to create a completely new product / idea after this.

And what exactly makes this tablet (that is if it exists) a completely new product / idea? :confused:

theblueone
I don't know if I believe this. Didn't he say the same thing about the iPod and then the iPhone?

His record on this kind of thing is very spotty.

</sarcasm>

BittenApple

Apple for Life .... Steve Forever!!!!!!!!

<faints>

Hey, don't forget about Woz!

Anyways, sounds like Jobs is happy and can't wait to introduce this puppy upon the world. I'm pretty excited about what he has to say as well.

arn
Jan 24, 2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know if I believe this. Didn't he say the same thing about the iPod and then the iPhone?

Wouldn't the statement have been true each of those times?

arn

enberg
Wait, what about the puck mouse?

klrobinson999
Perhaps Gruber is right... that the tablet may change computing itself.

wobudong
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/24/steve-jobs-on-apple-tablet-this-will-be-the-most-important-thing-iíve-ever-done/)

Tech Crunch reports (http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/24/steve-jobs-tablet-most-important/) that Steve Jobs has been heard saying that the upcoming Apple tablet "will be the most important thing Iíve ever done." They report is said to come from multiple independent sources:Jobs had been previous quoted as being "extremely happy" (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/23/jobs-extremely-happy-with-upcoming-apple-tablet-and-a-surprise/) with the upcoming tablet.

Apple is holding a media event on January 27th. We'll provide ongoing updates as well as a Spoiler Free page (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/24/january-2010-media-event-spoiler-free-keynote-stream/) if you would rather wait to watch a video of the event yourself after it is posted.

Article Link: Steve Jobs on Apple Tablet: "This Will Be The Most Important Thing Iíve Ever Done." (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/24/steve-jobs-on-apple-tablet-this-will-be-the-most-important-thing-iíve-ever-done/)
--Well of course he loves it. He always get one for free.

goobot
as long as it is cheap

OR

subsidized a lot by att.

and has a purpose

ill buy.

also if there is a student discount it will tempt me a bit more :D

theblueone
Jan 24, 2010, 08:18 PM

arn

Drat! You got me!

Surely
Jan 24, 2010, 08:19 PM

arn

Agreed.

It's not like he said the same thing when Apple TV or Time Capsule was released.

zedsdead
Jan 24, 2010, 08:20 PM
Agreed.

It's not like he said the same thing when Apple TV or Time Capsule was released.

The Apple TV could be, if Apple put some effort into it.

randomusername
Jan 24, 2010, 08:20 PM
If this is actually true, I'm happy. If this is the most important thing they've ever done it's definitely not going to be an iPod Touch with a huge screen. Hello, custom version of OS X...

Intense
Jan 24, 2010, 08:21 PM
I think I have spoken about the upcoming rumored tablet to almost everyone in and off my social circle including updates on my facebook status ... My wife hears about something apple every day and I am not sure how I'll be able to focus in class this Wednesday.

I am trying not to have high expectations, with steve jobs saying it's the most important thing that he's ever done ... that's definitely a lot to look forward to !

I hope we'll get smooth live online coverage :apple:

wobudong
Jan 24, 2010, 08:22 PM

Not only because I think it will be great and make my life more enjoyable/productive.

However, this may be the last time we really see a whole new idea, a new way of doing things, from Apple, particularly Steve.
---
Yup. It's exactly what the buggy-makers said before the Model T can rumbling along; when some folks said "if God wnted man to fly, etc." the Wright Bros (and others) came along. And so on.

BornAgainMac
Jan 24, 2010, 08:23 PM
That is a really bold statement. The iPhone, Mac, and the iPod are up there. Perhaps it brings a little from all three into a single product plus something the others don't do.

iDisk
Jan 24, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hey, don't forget about Woz!

Anyways, sounds like Jobs is happy and can't wait to introduce this puppy upon the world. I'm pretty excited about what he has to say as well.

Yeah WOZ IS COOL & VERY SMART NOT TO MENTION FUNNY. HE'S A GREAT FRIEND.

MIGHT AS WELL NAME THE OTHER FOUNDER OF APPLE TO "RONALD WAYNE"

AudiA4
Jan 24, 2010, 08:24 PM
For me, the trick to being able to appreciate whatever announcement that is made, is to not make any prejudgments based on all the rumors. I'll watch the event with fresh eyes and ears and forget the rumors so I can simply appreciate whatever comes for what it's worth. I may really like the tablet, or I may pass on it like the iPhone. I'm OK with it either way. Though, if Jobs truly is this excited about it, then I'll likely be satisfied with it.

You're hoping to be satisfied with the tablet, but you weren't impressed enough with the iPhone to get one? Good luck with that...

Surely
Jan 24, 2010, 08:25 PM
The Apple TV could be, if Apple put some effort into it.

Possibly, but my point is that he wasn't heard saying that this will be the most important thing he's ever done right before it was released.

I don't think they could fix it enough to make it important-worthy. Better, yes.

*LTD*

This is it.

Compile 'em all

/end of thread.

You win!

dukebound85
of course he says this...what is to be expected? he's trying to sell it remember?

probably said something similar about every product at some point

rstansby

Apple & Steve are the main actually ONLY reasons I want to move to the bay area!!!

Steve is the reason I love software so much!!!! and to some degree the way I think about Art.

Woz is going to be there? :p

zedsdead
Jan 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
Possibly, but my point is that he wasn't heard saying that this will be the most important thing he's ever done right before it was released.

I don't think they could fix it enough to make it important-worthy.

I agree. I just hate that Apple has largely abandoned the product when it could be so much more than it is. Hopefully that will change.

davester
Jan 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
Would've been cool to see those "teasers" appear on Apple's webpage again, circa 2002, just days before the first flat-panel iMac was released.

"Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond" or something.

starcrossed
Jan 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
If this report is true and those words did indeed come out of the mouth of Steve Jobs... then i'll be extremely anxious to take a look at it. My original outlook on the idea of a tablet coming out of Apple camp has been a comparison to how the Macbook Air or iPod Touch fit in their respective lineups, a option but not something that would be majority of consumers first choice. But I would be shocked if can make me consider replacing my laptop iPhone combination with their tablet.

thecartoonguy
Jan 24, 2010, 08:30 PM
I think Apple normally has a difficult time satisfying all the hype, but this tablet is just too much.

I can't wait to see what they unveil ,but its going to be tough to live up to the hype.

This hype reminds me of the rumors about the iPhone. Wednesday cannot come fast enough. :D

quantman
Jan 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
I believe Steve is going to really change

- The Delivery, Access and Consumption of

* Education,
* Medical Services, and
* Publishing (and who knows what else)

- Drive down the Cost of many of the services in those fields

- Enhance the Richness of Customer Experience in those fields

seedster2
of course he says this...what is to be expected? he's trying to sell it remember?

probably said something similar about every product at some point

indeed. This should be Page 3 news:)

Surely
This hype reminds me of the rumors about the iPhone. Wednesday cannot come fast enough. :D

Yeah, the hype is definitely the same.

Until then.... let the speculation continue....

aaquib
Bring on Wednesday!

Sucks cause I have exams on the following Thursday and won't be able to study knowing there's an Apple keynote going on.

I'll just lose four hours of sleep and then get my Apple goodness for the day (2 hour live text stream + watching the keynote later on in the evening)

Thex1138
A question I'd be interested to hear responded too is what tech evolution changed enough for him to return to the project... when there reports he started then scrapped then restarted....
Was it screen tech/touch screen tech, battery tech or processor tech or hard drive/SSD storage etc,. ?

I'm sure the device casing/shell went through quite a few prototypes... to get the look / feel right.

What gave him the ideas for the form factor and the way content should be displayed... like Harry Potters 'magic newspaper', Star Trek, or something obscure like Tom Cruise's character [nefariously] using the device ii the back seat of the taxi in the movie Collateral... or something other?

zedsdead
Jan 24, 2010, 08:33 PM

* Education,
* Medical Services, and

That's a great point. It may not be really related to computing at all, but these industries...plus I would say media as well.

BVGuitarPlayer
Jan 24, 2010, 08:35 PM
If that's true...

I guarantee you it will have 3G internet.

(Reminded of Apple's monthly revenue check from AT&T)

iDisk
Jan 24, 2010, 08:36 PM
A P P L E LOVERS DO YOU REALIZE WE ARE WITNESSING HISTORY!!!???

1998 = iMac

2001 = iPod

2007 = iPhone

2010 = ????

and for those who remember the unvailing of the iMac in 1984 them too....

WHAT COMPANY DOES THIS!!!!!!????? WHAT CEO CREATES THIS??????

WE ARE SERIOUSLY SEEING HISTORY!!!!! A P P L E = COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY/INNOVATION

creon
What ever happened to Tuesday usually being the announcement day for Apple?

aaquib
If that's true...

I guarantee you it will have 3G internet.

(Reminded of Apple's monthly revenue check from AT&T)

Hopefully it's Verizon + ATT. I remain unaffected, but it doesn't make sense for Apple to limit their potential customers to 75M instead of 155M.

ortuno2k
Jan 24, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm excited as much as many of you are, and can't wait until Wednesday.
Let's see what Steve has in store for us.

For me, the ideal "tablet" would be like a larger iPhone, with (possibly?) a modified version of OS X to accommodate features for a tablet, hand-writing recognition, a digital "notebook" that I can use for ALL my classes...
Plus the rest of the deal. But I'm mostly interested in being able to use it as a digital notebook/notepad for school. Bye-bye paper-notes.

I'm not setting any expectations nor looking forward to anything in particular, just open-minded about Wednesday.

What if, there is no tablet? :-D

Let's just wait and see folks.

iDisk
Jan 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
Woz is going to be there? :p

He's always at the Yerba Benua Center events

aaquib
Jan 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
What ever happened to Tuesday usually being the announcement day for Apple?

It's symbolic. Apple's set to introduce new and groundbreaking changes. Starting with the day of the week they introduce products.

Surely
Jan 24, 2010, 08:39 PM
Color, caps lock and bolded stuff.

Ease up on the sugar and caffeine there skippy.

SkyBell
Jan 24, 2010, 08:40 PM

Macintosh in '84. iMac in '98 :p

wackymacky
Most important thing he has EVER done?

More important that the Apple II?
More important than returning to Apple from NEXT?

More important that OSX?

Gee.....I thought we were just getting an enlarged iTouch/iPhone running iPhone OS.

Perhaps he was referring to something else, like anouncing his retirment this week!!?

munstedt
Hey, did you know it's steve's birthday today? :)

Shake 'n' Bake
Jan 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
Most important thing ever? What about travelling India or the original Macintosh?

IMO, nothing could be more important than those two.

mac jones
Jan 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
poor Steve. He's gone nitty. :o

SeattleMoose
Jan 24, 2010, 08:42 PM

ROTFLMAO - Good to see Steve has his appetite back!!!!!
:D

njvan
Jan 24, 2010, 08:44 PM
I heard he was talking about his post-lunch crap.

SkyBell

Nope, one month off ;)
Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs (born February 24, 1955)

However, it is the birthday of the original Macintosh.

iDisk

Jobs was born Feb 24th 1955

Post facts :mad:

Cagle
They heard wrong, I was at Olive Garden, one booth along, when he said this is the most important thing Ive's ever done, as in Jonathan. Steve Jobs still considers the Apple TV as the most important thing he's ever done

Shake 'n' Bake
Jan 24, 2010, 08:46 PM
Nope, one month off ;)

Is there anything significant in Apple's history (like a birth or death) that occurred in 1956? I'm wondering because my Bondi iMac has a bum clock battery and the year is always 1956.

alent1234
Jan 24, 2010, 08:49 PM

* Education,
* Medical Services, and

i can see college kids jailbreaking these to get free textbooks

cmaier
Jan 24, 2010, 08:50 PM
The dude's got kids. No way he said that.

gibbz
Jan 24, 2010, 08:50 PM
If Steve is happy, everybody is happy.

Cboss
Jan 24, 2010, 08:53 PM
Woz is going to be there?

Exactly. Once Jobs saw that Woz was working on the Modbook (http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=home) he immediately convinced Woz to secretly come back to Apple to finish the new tablet. They'll co-introduce it at the media event.**

**(Probably not, but that would be cool huh?) :D

andrei.barbuta
Jan 24, 2010, 08:54 PM
He believes that because the tablet will revitalize the eagerness of learning.
Presenting information in a modern way will make modern generations to reading again.
When Steve Jobs said that people don't read anymore he was referring to classical literature, not blogs.
The concept now is to search something on the web find out things about them. In our days we took the book and read it and extracted our own ideas therefore expanding our horizon. It made us think.
Kids nowadays don't do that, they just get the ideas from someone else via a website/blog whatever and put there own spin on it and they do not even read the book.

My opinion.

Good luck Steve!

munstedt
Jan 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
Nope, one month off ;)

oops.... lol

slu
If the tablet is nothing more than the ultimate personal media device, with an excellent and easy delivery method for publications (both for entertaiment and education), music, and video as well as a social networking/communications device, it will be a hit.

A handheld AppleTV plus eBook/magazines, plus iPhone like apps (including 3rd party devs) and they have a winner assuming it is easy to use. If they add iLife and/or iWork apps or video chat, even better. But even without those, it is enough to be a game changer. No product exists like that yet with an easy to use content delivery system. And there are several ways for many different companies to make money.

tdream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzhXMbOWHE

MisterK
Jan 24, 2010, 08:57 PM
I thought I had this thing figured out, but this level of hype!? I just hope it's true. Everything's still rumours. All we know is that there's an event on Wednesday. It's gonna be a bummer when there is no tablet/slate/pad at all. New iPod Shuffles, everyone!

If, however, there is a Slate (my favourite of the names for it so far).... I'll buy one. I can even say that without seeing it. They just make awesome stuff. I will be buying one. If it's a flop, I will punch a Windows user in the face. Not really... but I'll be tempted to punch them in face. More specifically, the ones in Engadget's comment section. You'd better hope this Slate isn't a flop, Windows users!

puckhead193
Jan 24, 2010, 08:57 PM
well i'm glad steve is happy.. i won't be unless there is an update to the mbp/mac pro....

ChrisNH
Jan 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
I'm sure the legions of people who did actually work on the thing wish Jobs used the term 'we've' instead of 'I've.'

Works4Me
Jan 24, 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm sure the legions of people who did actually work on the thing wish Jobs used the term 'we've' instead of 'I've.'

No doubt! :-)

That said, I'm sure it will be pretty cool. But one thing is certain - whatever it is does, some will love it, some will hate it, some will be overwhelmed with it's coolness, and others will be underwhelmed. Some will hate it just because Apple made it, and others will love it just because Apple made it, regardless of the product's actual merits.

It won't and can't be all things to all people. But what matters, in the end, is how many Apple sells!

kcroy
Jan 24, 2010, 09:01 PM

No it isn't. You are one month off. His birthday is February 24.

(I'm getting him an iTunes Card.)

nwainwright
Jan 24, 2010, 09:03 PM
Cell phones were confusing and clunky before the iPhone. The tablet will be whatever it is, but next after that will be a full-court press on the home tv and sound system. Home automation too, but first tv/stereo. I bet on it. Steve will have lots to do.

miknos
Jan 24, 2010, 09:04 PM
If the iPhone without contract people charge around 700 u$$ (in craigslist), do you expect the tablet to be 600 ???

The device might be very thin. That means expensive. Not like the Macbook air, but expensive (around 1000 u$$)

gibbz
Jan 24, 2010, 09:05 PM

Unfortunately, Steve is Apple. No one really cares about the engineers.

xlii
Jan 24, 2010, 09:06 PM
This tablet (if it is a tablet... no official word from apple yet) has been so hyped up that many will feel letdown when they see the reality of what the tablet is and isn't.

peepboon
Jan 24, 2010, 09:07 PM
I think it will be between an iPhone and Macbook (White) price range. Anything over that then you ask the question "Isn't it better to buy a fully functioning computer?" *Thats if it runs the beefed up iPhone OS*

alexk82
Jan 24, 2010, 09:08 PM
It seems to be a consistent comment. Though we won't know until it's out. Netbook challenger for profit or something else. We can't seem to agree what the point of the tablet is.

I'm actually surprised that he would even make a comment before the event.

nagromme
Jan 24, 2010, 09:08 PM
It won’t sweep the computer-using masses by storm at once (any more than the mouse did in Xerox’s labs—or Fingerworks for that matter) but it might be the beginning of something that gets big in the end!

I can believe rumors that the iPhone was really an offshoot of this project, rather than vice versa. It paved the way for something that wasn’t ready three years ago.

Thex1138
Jan 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
Steve's next TED talk will be a good one to watch :D

petsounds
Jan 24, 2010, 09:13 PM
Well of course it's the most important thing he thinks he's ever done. And why? Because he will finally have a computing platform that is entirely locked down (as it is all but assured the Slate will run a variant of iPhone's OS). And there's nothing Steve loves more than anything than a walled garden and absolute control.

This is not meant to be a snarky post. I really think he's excited about this prospect. He's a man of duality; on one side a great creative visionary, and on the other side the ultimate capitalist. It's hard for people like us who admire his creative force to make sense of the other. If the Slate platform takes off as the iPhone platform has, people will become used to this absolute loss of control with the products they own. More and more the majority of computer users will be using a travel-size device like the Slate (internet and media viewing, that about covers what 90% of users do with a computer). Desktop machines will continue to be used for pro apps, but that will be a diminishing market. Eventually no one will remember when your average computer wasn't locked down in this fashion, and most won't care anyway.

RoboCop001
Jan 24, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have a feeling that this should be on Page 2.

Or maybe it's you who should be on Page 2! :D:D:D:D:D;);););););););):eek::confused:

But seriously you guys... I mean... come on. You know it's going to explode your brain, put it back together in reverse order, explode it again, and then completely annihilate you.

And then bring you back to life as a half human, half Mac, all cop super... thing..... Strange, I thought I had a point to make...

lightpeak
Jan 24, 2010, 09:18 PM
They heard wrong, I was at Olive Garden, one booth along, when he said this is the most important thing Ive's ever done, as in Jonathan. Steve Jobs still considers the Apple TV as the most important thing he's ever done

And did you know Jos. A. Banks is having a sale??!!

lol Sorry. Couldn't resist jumping on your Olive Garden lead.

Analog Kid
Jan 24, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hype machine is definitely on overdrive-- more than anything, I want to know what purpose this thing has.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 09:25 PM
Cell phones were confusing and clunky before the iPhone.
Apparently, you have never seen a Japanese or South Korean cellphone.

sampro
Jan 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
hey guys, will we be watching the announcement on wed LIVE or do we have to wait till its uploaded and miss the live announcement?

polignac
Could be that he is retiring, and announcing the new CEO.... hopefully not though...

cdinca
That is the same thing he said about LSD...made me buy that also.

AidenShaw

Perhaps they would "wish" to be acknowledged, but if they're working at Apple they wouldn't expect it. It's always Jobs and Ive - as if no one else works there.

!! LOL

SkyBell
Jan 24, 2010, 09:27 PM

Or any phone that wasn't running WinMo. :p ;)

sampro
Jan 24, 2010, 09:27 PM
does anyone else have a feeling that there will be no macbook pro updates on the 27th??:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

kockgunner
Jan 24, 2010, 09:31 PM

LMAO. This quote, true or not, has raised my excitement level by 1000%. I would buy so many shares in Apple if only I had the money and knowledge.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 09:31 PM
Could be that he is retiring, and announcing the new CEO.... hopefully not though...
Why would Apple rent out an offsite venue to announce Steve Jobs' retirement?

That makes zero sense. Either from a marketing budgetary standpoint or a pure public relations standpoint. Plus, Steve Jobs is so competitive, I doubt that he would retire while he still has decent health. As a matter of fact, he's had cancer and he wouldn't give up. Steve would rather try to make everyone else look like idiots, even if he had a terminal disease.

Compile 'em all
Jan 24, 2010, 09:32 PM
does anyone else have a feeling that there will be no macbook pro updates on the 27th??:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

what makes anyone think there WILL be?

b1wils1
Jan 24, 2010, 09:33 PM
i'm not sure this is something Jobs would say.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 09:33 PM
You are probably correct.

Mostly because marginal updates to MacBook Pros would not merit a mention at a major product release event at Yerba Buena Center. Apple could simply issue a press release and bump up the product line with little fanfare.

DakotaGuy
Jan 24, 2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah WOZ IS COOL & VERY SMART NOT TO MENTION FUNNY. HE'S A GREAT FRIEND.

MIGHT AS WELL NAME THE OTHER FOUNDER OF APPLE TO "RONALD WAYNE"

http://www.gearlog.com/2010/01/steve_wozniak_owns_a_nexus_one.php

Woz also has a Nexus One and a Droid in addition to a couple of iPhones. I just thought some people might like to know that he has an open mind when it comes to technology.;)

*LTD*
Jan 24, 2010, 09:35 PM

:D LOL

Clever post.

AppleZwei
Jan 24, 2010, 09:36 PM

You're a poor troll.

iDisk
Jan 24, 2010, 09:40 PM
http://www.gearlog.com/2010/01/steve_wozniak_owns_a_nexus_one.php

Woz also has a Nexus One and a Droid in addition to a couple of iPhones. I just thought some people might like to know that he has an open mind when it comes to technology.;)

Woz is a "Gadget" man... He's the type to buy a nexus, iphone, droid etc... take it all apart and then put all of it together using different parts from each device to make a new one.... thats JUST WOZ!! Thats what he does, he's a true genius in regards to "technical, mechanicalism (if such a word existed)"

carlgo
Jan 24, 2010, 09:41 PM
LMAO. This quote, true or not, has raised my excitement level by 1000%. I would buy so many shares in Apple if only I had the money and knowledge.

Normally Apple stock goes up prior to announcements and then back down immediately after, especially when hopes are raised to a stupid level that reality can't match.

It would be better if Apple downplayed things a little, then the unveiling would be better than the expectations and all the short sellers would be screwed, as they should be.

ChocoTaco
Jan 24, 2010, 09:41 PM
I believe the reason Jobs is saying this is because the tablet is the materialization of a ton of work he and Apple have done. This is the culmination of all that work that people have not seen or realized yet.

The iPhone was just a tiny teaser of that potential.. which is WHY the tablet is so anticipated. People see the potential the iPhone represents -- even though most people don't really understand why the iPhone is so great -- the user interface -- and how it will revolutionize how we use computers, eventually.

I see the iPhone as a teaser for the tablet.. and the tablet will be a teaser showing how all computers will use the touch system interface and customizable User Interface we have yet to see.

DonSqueak
Jan 24, 2010, 09:43 PM

Because he did not write ďMobile phones before the iPhone were confusing and clunky, especially Japanese and South Korean onesĒ? Mind you, Iím writing this *from* Japan.

chasemac
Jan 24, 2010, 09:45 PM
This tablet (if it is a tablet... no official word from apple yet) has been so hyped up that many will feel letdown when they see the reality of what the tablet is and isn't.

I couldn't agree more. This is so true.

JMor74
Jan 24, 2010, 09:46 PM
What if its not really a tablet- maybe its a personal Steve Jobs robot for home

Aspen
Jan 24, 2010, 09:47 PM
Yes, it may be the most important thing he's ever done and Apple probably does have a mission to improve the world however, when it's all said and done, Apple exists to make money for the owners and shareholders of stock. Of course there is going to be hype.

iDisk
Jan 24, 2010, 09:49 PM
Perhaps they would "wish" to be acknowledged, but if they're working at Apple they wouldn't expect it. It's always Jobs and Ive - as if no one else works there.

No doubt! :-)

That said, I'm sure it will be pretty cool. But one thing is certain - whatever it is does, some will love it, some will hate it, some will be overwhelmed with it's coolness, and others will be underwhelmed. Some will hate it just because Apple made it, and others will love it just because Apple made it, regardless of the product's actual merits.

It won't and can't be all things to all people. But what matters, in the end, is how many Apple sells!

You both are making inaccurate comments based on a potential casuistic comment. That makes you both sound cretinous at best.

psingh01
Jan 24, 2010, 09:49 PM
Exclusive rehearsal footage of Steve Jobs practicing his tablet presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ZVdRkS50w

cmaier
Jan 24, 2010, 09:51 PM
Because he did not write ďMobile phones before the iPhone were confusing and clunky, especially Japanese and South Korean onesĒ? Mind you, Iím writing this *from* Japan.

I spent some time looking at phones in Seoul on a business trip a year ago, and there was stuff going on I couldn't even figure out. I think one of them had a squirrel feeder built into it. It seemed the more buttons and the more random colors that could be squished onto the screen, the better.

SchneiderMan
Jan 24, 2010, 09:51 PM
Ohhh omggg Apple stocks people Apple stocks!

twoodcc
Jan 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
well i guess we'll find out Wed! looking forward to it!

TMay
Jan 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
Here's some brilliant spin on the tablet:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/1/24/829152/-The-Web-and-the-Orchard

Compares "The Great Dying" at the end of the Permian to the cataclysm of the internet ecosystem to be brought about by Apple's tablet.

MacPhilosopher
Jan 24, 2010, 09:53 PM
This makes the build up to the iPhone look pretty mild.

P.S. Sorry for the understatement.

olternaut
Jan 24, 2010, 09:53 PM
But hey, no pressure...

LOL! :p

olternaut
Jan 24, 2010, 09:56 PM

That's caveman talk! I bet people said that years ago of the big box that shows talking and moving pictures. Where else can technology go? For da luv of..... :rolleyes:

See, this is why Jobs is such an ogre to his people sometimes. He has to scream and shout to keep all the primitive thinking at bay.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 24, 2010, 09:59 PM

I think a refreshed i5 MBP could be a "warm up" act for the tablet. When the iPhone was announced AppleTV was the "warm up. The iPhone wasn't brought out until about 25 min. into the keynote.

Dudwasup
Jan 24, 2010, 10:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7D11)

You're hoping to be satisfied with the tablet, but you weren't impressed enough with the iPhone to get one? Good luck with that...

Ya if you passed on the iphone then i wouldnt get your hopes up that was the bigest jump in tec this decade (yes there is arguments )

severe
Jan 24, 2010, 10:03 PM
I get shivers thinking about this product....

Seriously. Settle down.

And you've been an Apple follower since at least '05? :confused:

ScaryRobot
Jan 24, 2010, 10:05 PM
I've been watching Apple for a pretty long time, and I'd say I'm about 60% certain that this is Apple's big move. Windows has reigned on the desktop for a couple of decades and has been essentially unassailable since the mid-90s... and the tablet is Apple's attempt to finally do something about this by shifting the center of computing away from the desktop. (See much more detailed analysis here (http://morescaryrobots.com/2010/01/15/market-share-tablets-and-the-future-of-computing/).)

Of course Apple tends to be very coy about this sort of thing, and as we saw with the iPod, tends to have multi-year plans that nobody quite realizes exist until after their goals have been achieved and the whole thing looks too neat to have been an accident. So Apple might not make what they're up to obvious, and might even explicitly deny it. The key early indicator will be whether they've got a tablet version of iWork. If so, this thing is obviously intended as a next-generation general purpose computing platform, regardless of what they say.

oldaaplexec
Jan 24, 2010, 10:05 PM
Buying the tablet will be the most important thing I have ever done. Err. :p

sampro
Jan 24, 2010, 10:08 PM
what makes anyone think there WILL be?

um where have you been? everyone has been talking about this for a while now and a lot of ppl have beem waiting for one....it was excpected that there would be macbook pro updates, and its at the end of the cycle so what makes YOU think there WONT be an update? common sense....im just asking because we dont hear about macbook pros anymore, its all about the damn tablet:rolleyes:

offwidafairies
Jan 24, 2010, 10:10 PM
Exclusive rehearsal footage of Steve Jobs practicing his tablet presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ZVdRkS50w

i cant believe i just wasted 1min of my precious time watching that

ryanvalle
Jan 24, 2010, 10:12 PM
I think a refreshed i5 MBP could be a "warm up" act for the tablet. When the iPhone was announced AppleTV was the "warm up. The iPhone wasn't brought out until about 25 min. into the keynote.

What if the Tablet is as good as it is, if not better, and Mr. Jobs decides to put the iPhone 4G (if there is one) as the warm up act and the MBP updates get announced quietly...

toml1959
Jan 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
Newton hype with John Sculley in the early 90's. My MP100 is in a box downstairs...

neutrino23
Jan 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
I hadn't thought of this before but if the UI has some sort of facial expression recognition (and voice recognition) in the UI this could begin a new chapter in consumer electronics.

Totally apart from the practical aspects if a machine can recognize your expression and react to it, if it could look at your eyes and determine where you are looking, that will change the way people think about machines emotionally. I don't know if it is good or bad or how it will play out. Subtle things happen when emotions are in play. The main issue is that many may not be aware of the depth of the reaction because it is emotional, not intellectual. If the relationship is friendly this could be huge for Apple. If people already love their Macs, think how it will be when their Macs can react to their facial expressions, even in a simple way.

I recall feeling this a little bit the first time I used the facial recognition feature in iPhoto. It wasn't like searching on a name which I understand is a text search. The software was finding faces that I knew and I noticed a minor emotional reaction to that.

There is a story of the most successful car salesman in history. One thing he did was every month he'd send every past customer a card that included the phrase "I like you." Even though this might seem insincere people responded to it, kind of the way people respond to canned laugh tracks. We know they what they are but they change our mood.

What if your computer could recognize your face and respond to you?

"Good morning Susan. Nice to see you this morning. Your looking very pretty today." You know it is false flattery but it feels good anyway.

cmaier
Jan 24, 2010, 10:28 PM
People are coming up with some pretty technically unrealistic features for this thing.

coolfactor
Jan 24, 2010, 10:30 PM

Why do people keep bashing the Cube? It was an engineering marvel, an awesome little machine. Those that owned one echo that sentiment. Just because it was high-priced and didn't get high marketplace adoption doesn't make it a failed product on many other levels.

cvaldes
What if your computer could recognize your face and respond to you?

"Good morning Susan. Nice to see you this morning. Your looking very pretty today." You know it is false flattery but it feels good anyway.
This is only as good as your gullibility. After all, I could have written a cronjob that uttered the same words of flattery ten years ago. I would have found it amusing for a week or two, but sadly lacking and pathetic thereafter.

In any case, facial recognition isn't the same as emotional identification. Whether or not your computer recognizes you or your dog and wishes you a nice day is largely immaterial.

cmaier
Why do people keep bashing the Cube? It was an engineering marvel, an awesome little machine. Those that owned one echo that sentiment. Just because it was high-priced and didn't get high marketplace adoption doesn't make it a failed product on many other levels.

There was the little issue of the cracks

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
As an AAPL stockholder, the Cube was a failure.

If you would like to enumerate the Cube's various pros, that's fine. Just show me the money.

(P.S. I thought it was a cute device too.)

coolfactor
Jan 24, 2010, 10:32 PM
Newton hype with John Sculley in the early 90's. My MP100 is in a box downstairs...

Are you suggesting the Newton was a failed product? Just because Steve killed it doesn't mean that it was worthy of being killed.

zarusoba
Jan 24, 2010, 10:33 PM
If this rumour is true, the gadget will be even bigger than Toy Story.

Maserati7200
Jan 24, 2010, 10:33 PM
Happy 26th Birthday, Macintosh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0FtgZNOD44
Look at the smile on Steve's face there, that's probably one of the best moments of his life... I doubt the tablet will be as important as that (still important nonetheless)

olternaut
Jan 24, 2010, 10:34 PM

Remember all, Jobs immediately introduced the AppleTV as a "hobby". But if this new device is something he considers the most important product he has worked on for a long time, then I think we are all in for something special. I wish I can be in SF at the event to watch the unveiling live. :(

I'm going to have to satisfy with a no-spoiler link to the final recorded video from macrumors. I'm assuming macrumors will post a no spoiler link soon right?

coolfactor
Jan 24, 2010, 10:35 PM
Yes, it may be the most important thing he's ever done and Apple probably does have a mission to improve the world however, when it's all said and done, Apple exists to make money for the owners and shareholders of stock. Of course there is going to be hype.

Not.

Apple exists to make great products and improve lives. The company was founded on a vision and regained that vision when Steve returned. Apple's doing the hard work, but they are not working _for_ shareholders.

cvaldes
People are coming up with some pretty technically unrealistic features for this thing.
Yeah, welcome to the Internet.

Where unrealistic expectations are the norm. As an AAPL shareholder, I am pretty satisfied that most fanboy predictions are dreadfully wrong.

ChocoTaco
Yeah.. I don't think voice recognition and facial recognition are it.. because if they were.. why would you really need the tablet? Those things could be implemented with ANY computer.. so what is the purpose of the tablet?

IMO you need the tablet BECAUSE not only will the tablet be a media player and great cheap laptop.. it will ALSO be our new user interface for your primary computer.. this is WHY you need the tablet.. the tablet itself will replace our current user interface for our primary computer -- the archaic mouse and keyboard.

NeuralControl
Jan 24, 2010, 10:36 PM
I'm really looking forward to the 27th. I want the rumors to finally be over and witness what Apple will unveil.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 10:37 PM
Not.

Apple exists to make great products and improve lives. The company was founded on a vision and regained that vision when Steve returned. Apple's doing the hard work, but they are not working _for_ shareholders.

Apple is working for shareholders. I am one of them. Go read an Apple SEC filing.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 10:40 PM
If this rumour is true, the gadget will be even bigger than Toy Story.
Toy Story was a movie, not a consumer electronics device.

mixel
Jan 24, 2010, 10:40 PM

Apple is working for shareholders. I am one of them. Go read an Apple SEC filing.
Why can't it exist to do both? One wouldn't work so well without the other.

Tomsche
Jan 24, 2010, 10:41 PM

"They've gone about as fer as they can go, yes sir, they've gone about as fer as they can go!"

olternaut
Jan 24, 2010, 10:42 PM

Umm, that's not even remotely funny.

NeuralControl
Jan 24, 2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah.. I don't think voice recognition and facial recognition are it.. because if they were.. why would you really need the tablet? Those things could be implemented with ANY computer.. so what is the purpose of the tablet?

IMO you need the tablet BECAUSE not only will the tablet be a media player and great cheap laptop.. it will ALSO be our new user interface for your primary computer.. this is WHY you need the tablet.. the tablet itself will replace our current user interface for our primary computer -- the archaic mouse and keyboard.

If this is true, it would make me more inclined to buy it. If the tablet can wirelessly connect to Macs and be used as a much larger and much more advanced multi-touch trackpad device (plus numerous other features) I will most likely buy it. Aside from being an extremely portable secondary computer, the aforementioned features would be great to have.

Frazzle
Jan 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm thinking that's what it'll be called. iPad has the Tampax factor, iSlate is the Ballmer idea, iCanvas is not what it's for. I always wondered why the iBook name suddenly had to go. It did seem logical to name all Mac products MacSomething, but the other way round... to make room for another addition to the iSomething portable device family - that makes sense too. Steve's line could go like this: "Of course we already had an iBook. But now that technology has come far enough to create a true book-like experience, I'd like to show you this little device right here..."

olternaut
Jan 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
Seriously. Settle down.

And you've been an Apple follower since at least '05? :confused:

Don't tell him to settle down! If someone wants to get excited about something new then let em. Lord knows we need some news about something inspiring every now and then.

Number 41
Jan 24, 2010, 10:45 PM

Wait, are you an Apple shareholder?

I didn't seem to pick up on whether or not that was true from your 3 previous posts. :rolleyes:

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
Why can't it exist to do both? One wouldn't work so well without the other.
True, but ultimately Apple exists to increase shareholder value, regardless of whether or not they release revolutionary products.

Remember, the iPod wasn't the first MP3 player, nor was the iPhone the first smartphone. Apple is not responsible for being the first to market or to invent new product categories. Their biggest concern is to generate enough profit to increase shareholder value.

Again, go read the SEC filings. They will list their priorities as well as business threats.

View
Jan 24, 2010, 10:46 PM
I don't think the general public has realized yet how this could change one's life.
Think about using this one tablet for textbooks, taking notes in class room (plus voice recording), presentation, browse the net, and so on. If apple can create a practical user interface for the applications, then I'm sure this will be a success!

olternaut
I've been watching Apple for a pretty long time, and I'd say I'm about 60% certain that this is Apple's big move. Windows has reigned on the desktop for a couple of decades and has been essentially unassailable since the mid-90s... and the tablet is Apple's attempt to finally do something about this by shifting the center of computing away from the desktop. (See much more detailed analysis here (http://morescaryrobots.com/2010/01/15/market-share-tablets-and-the-future-of-computing/).)

Of course Apple tends to be very coy about this sort of thing, and as we saw with the iPod, tends to have multi-year plans that nobody quite realizes exist until after their goals have been achieved and the whole thing looks too neat to have been an accident. So Apple might not make what they're up to obvious, and might even explicitly deny it. The key early indicator will be whether they've got a tablet version of iWork. If so, this thing is obviously intended as a next-generation general purpose computing platform, regardless of what they say.

Interesting that you say your 60% sure. This might me that the tablet is just the tip of the iceberg on major product announcements for Apple in 2010.

MadIvan
I'm excited as much as many of you are, and can't wait until Wednesday.
Let's see what Steve has in store for us.

For me, the ideal "tablet" would be like a larger iPhone, with (possibly?) a modified version of OS X to accommodate features for a tablet, hand-writing recognition, a digital "notebook" that I can use for ALL my classes...
Plus the rest of the deal. But I'm mostly interested in being able to use it as a digital notebook/notepad for school. Bye-bye paper-notes.

I'm not setting any expectations nor looking forward to anything in particular, just open-minded about Wednesday.

What if, there is no tablet? :-D

Let's just wait and see folks.

Anyone remember the William Gibson novel Count Zero? It's a cyberdeck. There will be 'trodes for direct neural interfacing.;)

dsucher
Jan 24, 2010, 10:47 PM
Got it?

Printing press? Movable type? The book?

eBook? ephemeralization?

Similar revolution in portable and exchangeable information.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 10:47 PM
Wait, are you an Apple shareholder?

I didn't seem to pick up on whether or not that was true from your 3 previous posts. :rolleyes:
You are probably just bitter that you didn't buy AAPL in March 2009 when it drooped to less than $80 per share.

Understandable, but not an excuse in this exercise. Setting up straw dog arguments does not advance your authority in this matter.

kdarling
Jan 24, 2010, 10:48 PM
I'm not endorsing the following (and in fact often disagree with the author), but I was impressed by the sheer amount of historical research put into it:

All about Apple tablet rumors over the years, and why it still probably doesn't exist. (http://www.intomobile.com/2009/08/03/my-theory-on-the-apple-tablet-it-doesnt-exist-will-never-exist-and-it-is-probably-a-10-inch-laptop.html)

cmaier
Jan 24, 2010, 10:49 PM
I don't think the general public has realized yet how this could change one's life.
Think about using this one tablet for textbooks, taking notes in class room (plus voice recording), presentation, browser the net, and so on. If apple can create a practical user interface for the applications, the I'm sure this will be a success!

Such breathless exuberance! It's a floor wax AND a sandwich topping!

iindigo

I've been living in Japan since last August, and let me tell you - even now, the vaunted Japanese keiteis are lackluster at best. They may have a singular hardware advantage (for example, some models carry 10MP cameras), but their UIs feel like they dropped right out of the early 2000's, complete with ugly aliased text and confusing, maze-like menus. I'll take my iPhone over any keitei out there.

Anyway, it will indeed be interesting to see what Apple introduces. I'm not really sure I'm in the market for such a device, though, so I'm hoping some other hardware updates are slipped in as well...

3N16MA
Miracles do happen! My quiz scheduled for Wednesday at 1:00pm was pushed back a week because the prof canceled a class. Also the room the class is held in is a rare dead zone on campus and gets no WiFi, however I was in there last Thursday and my iPhone picked up a strong WiFi signal. Macrumors text updates on my iPhone in class and the keynote video when I get home. I can't wait, this has the same feeling leading up to the iPhone keynote.

winterspan
Jan 24, 2010, 10:50 PM

Is it really necessary to include a bunch of lame political statements on your signature/profile/etc? Can we not have ONE place on the internetz free from politics? :(

rdej47
Jan 24, 2010, 10:51 PM
As much as I want this product to rock there is one thing that still bugs me. The size. What made the iPhone so sick was that it basically gave you a fully mobile internet in a device that could fit in your pocket. I had a Nokia N800 nice big screen and a full browser but it's not very convenient when it can't fit in your pocket and can't be operated with just one hand. This is the problem I see with the tablet. No matter what functionality it offers I think it will come down to being compared to laptops which both require to be stationary to be used. You don't see people walking down the street browsing documents on their laptop. It'll be clunky to walk around with a device that can't easily be grasped in your hand.

Eidorian
Jan 24, 2010, 10:52 PM
I'm not endorsing the following (and in fact often disagree with the author), but I was impressed by the sheer amount of historical research put into it:

All about Apple tablet rumors over the years, and why it still probably doesn't exist. (http://www.intomobile.com/2009/08/03/my-theory-on-the-apple-tablet-it-doesnt-exist-will-never-exist-and-it-is-probably-a-10-inch-laptop.html)I wish I had the time and know how to make a cool history like that. :(

thejakill
Jan 24, 2010, 10:56 PM
even more exciting than the announcement will be the cascade of bitching that will immediately follow, by unrealistic geeks who think the tablet should be for them and not the general public. the tablet will be for consuming media, nothing more.

bobob
Jan 24, 2010, 10:58 PM
I may really like the tablet, or I may pass on it like the iPhone. I'm OK with it either way. Though, if Jobs truly is this excited about it, then I'll likely be satisfied with it.

Yow... tough crowd.

Happy 26th Birthday, Macintosh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0FtgZNOD44
Look at the smile on Steve's face there, that's probably one of the best moments of his life... I doubt the tablet will be as important as that (still important nonetheless)

You're asking a father to pick a favorite amongst his children?!?

ChocoTaco
Jan 24, 2010, 10:59 PM
If this is true, it would make me more inclined to buy it. If the tablet can wirelessly connect to Macs and be used as a much larger and much more advanced multi-touch trackpad device (plus numerous other features) I will most likely buy it. Aside from being an extremely portable secondary computer, the aforementioned features would be great to have.

That's exactly it, NueralControl. I think the versatility of the device will make it so useful and a bargain. It's taking several devices that would be luxury items and fusing them into one making it a great bargain. Who could afford the ultimate 1000 dollar FingerWorks keyboard from the future if that's all it did? Oh.. it also doubles as a drawing pad.. second monitor.. incredible remote control.. and laptop for right brain creative people you can take on the go.

If this isn't what it is I am going to hack the sucker and make it anyway.. :) This is why I feel this is what it has to be.

On a weirder note.. I also think having a PC that has such an intuitive interface.. and that is so portable.. AND that you use to interact with your primary PC will create a new paradigm in computing and working with machines.. it will be the most sophisticated and intuitive and powerful wearable PC ever made.

I see it allowing us to interact and exchange information with our PC in a way that laptops couldn't. It's as if we had a barrier between us and our primary PC because of the archaic keyboard and mouse.. this will be like a "medium" joining them/us together.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 11:00 PM
As much as I want this product to rock there is one thing that still bugs me. The size. What made the iPhone so sick was that it basically gave you a fully mobile internet in a device that could fit in your pocket. I had a Nokia N800 nice big screen and a full browser but it's not very convenient when it can't fit in your pocket and can't be operated with just one hand. This is the problem I see with the tablet. No matter what functionality it offers I think it will come down to being compared to laptops which both require to be stationary to be used. You don't see people walking down the street browsing documents on their laptop. It'll be clunky to walk around with a device that can't easily be grasped in your hand.
It is possible that Apple foresaw this and has created a device with enough differentation to make ownership worthwhile.

Like you, I treasure the pocketability of the iPhone/iPod touch, but a slightly larger device might bridge a gap between those two devices and a full-blown notebook computer.

Whether or not Apple can deliver something in a price point that is attractive to Joe Consumer has yet to be determined, but the entire iTunes Store ecosystem probably beneficially contributes to the success of that scenario.

After this Wednesday, we should have a much better understanding of where Apple is in their attempt to capture more consumers, but suffice it to say that it is unlikely that they would rent out Yerba Buena Center to announce minor upgrades to their existing product line.

kugino
Jan 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
wasn't steve also excited about the apple hi-fi? ;)

well, i didn't want to be excited about it...but count me in with the excited crowd. i was at the macworld when the iphone was announced and i still remember oohing and aahing over those iphones spinning in the glass displays.

i'm going to watch the iphone keynote on tuesday night to prepare for the wednesday announcement! :D

Stately
Jan 24, 2010, 11:08 PM

You better believe he's right . . everyone is in for a HUGE surprise. ;) Alright, this is the last time I comment on the tablet again until it's announced. Haha yeah right, that's like the 10th time I said that in a week lol. I just can't help myself. This is gonna be HUGE.

Axemantitan
Jan 24, 2010, 11:08 PM
Bigger than the iPod, iPhone, Mac OS X, and, not least of all, the original Macintosh?

danvdr
Jan 24, 2010, 11:10 PM
wasn't steve also excited about the apple hi-fi? ;)

And the Segway. "There going to design cities around this thing"

(Sorry, stepped out of the RDF for a second there) :rolleyes:

lowonthe456
Jan 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
There was the little issue of the cracks

True....and the iPhone had cracks .... And we all know what a giant flop that was.......

eoin3-
Jan 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm very excited! I love new Mac products and love the hype leading up to them...I do, however get a little worried when people tout things as being ultra revolutionary or world changing...

As we all remember the hype leading up to the "segway" being revealed said that the device "would change how cities would be designed"...

Oh dang...sorry danvdr... Guess youv
already beat me to that info... ;)

iphones4evry1
Jan 24, 2010, 11:12 PM
This is going to REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :apple:

AppleLover9o
Jan 24, 2010, 11:12 PM
He's gonna retire after this.

cmaier
Jan 24, 2010, 11:14 PM
True....and the iPhone had cracks .... And we all know what a giant flop that was.......

You're cheating. You're saying that cracks don't make a failure, as iPhone is successful. iPhone is successful because it has sold a ton. But the cube isn't a failure because it didn't sell.

Logical loop.

Goodeye
Jan 24, 2010, 11:15 PM
I'm glad my tax return comes next week after the conference. I'm going to be getting a Macbook Pro and who knows maybe they will announce a small update to them before I order.

m828s
Jan 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
You are probably just bitter that you didn't buy AAPL in March 2009 when it drooped to less than $80 per share.

Understandable, but not an excuse in this exercise. Setting up straw dog arguments does not advance your authority in this matter.

I don't think my 24" screen is big enough to contain your ego. I find your comments distasteful.

Abyssgh0st
Jan 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
I'm still waiting for the first city to be built around a Segway, but I'll give this thing a chance.

:o It's coming, I promise! :D

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 11:20 PM
He's gonna retire after this.
Why?

Steve Jobs LOVES making his competitors look like idiots. As long as he is physically capable of doing so, I expect that he will continue doing so.

Thunderbird
Jan 24, 2010, 11:24 PM
What's a tablet?

:)

olternaut
Jan 24, 2010, 11:25 PM
You better believe he's right . . everyone is in for a HUGE surprise. ;) Alright, this is the last time I comment on the tablet again until it's announced. Haha yeah right, that's like the 10th time I said that in a week lol. I just can't help myself. This is gonna be HUGE.

I'm going to go out on a limb and side myself with the "changing computing as we know it" camp.
I'm with ya stately! :D

lazyrighteye
Jan 24, 2010, 11:25 PM

I disagree that Apple is done innovating. The living room is where they'll next strike it big. Finally moving (Apple)TV from hobby to something no one knew they needed.

I do think this is Steve's last keynote. There is nothing bigger for him to go out on than this loooooong rumored device.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 11:26 PM
I don't think my 24" screen is big enough to contain your ego. I find your comments distasteful.
Sorry, there were no 24" screens when I bought my shares of AAPL.

Please understand that my AAPL holdings are a small part of a diversified portfolio (I own CSCO, INTC, MSFT, ORCL, GOOG, IBM, ADBE, YHOO and quite a few other high-tech firms).

I mostly wish that my other high-tech holdings increased shareholder value the same way that AAPL has done over the past five years. I am not an Apple employee, so I have no additional motivation/interest in seeing this company succeed anymore than other high-tech companies.

Truthfully, I am more disappointed in the lack of management effectiveness of other high-tech firms vis-a-vis Apple Inc.

olternaut
Jan 24, 2010, 11:27 PM
I'm very excited! I love new Mac products and love the hype leading up to them...I do, however get a little worried when people tout things as being ultra revolutionary or world changing...

As we all remember the hype leading up to the "segway" being revealed said that the device "would change how cities would be designed"...

Oh dang...sorry danvdr... Guess youv
already beat me to that info... ;)

LOL they actually said that about the segway?

olternaut
Jan 24, 2010, 11:28 PM
Why?

Steve Jobs LOVES making his competitors look like idiots. As long as he is physically capable of doing so, I expect that he will continue doing so.

Yes, it is amusing when he makes the competitors look like useless imbeciles. :D

m828s
Jan 24, 2010, 11:29 PM
What's a tablet?

:)

Personally, I'm hoping the name of the device is the PlayBook. I think that's a great name for a media consumption device. Dunno if it's available to them, however.

m828s
Jan 24, 2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry, there were no 24" screens when I bought my shares of AAPL.

Please understand that my AAPL holdings are a small part of a diversified portfolio (I own CSCO, INTC, MSFT, ORCL, GOOG, IBM, ADBE, YHOO and quite a few other high-tech firms).

I mostly wish that my other high-tech holdings increased shareholder value the same way that AAPL has done over the past five years. I am not an Apple employee, so I have no additional motivation/interest in seeing this company succeed anymore than other high-tech companies.

Truthfully, I am more disappointed in the lack of management effectiveness of other high-tech firms vis-a-vis Apple Inc.

Dude, don't worry. I'm absolutely CONVINCED your penis is bigger than mine.

bemylover
Jan 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
I don't really see how is this going to be a success :confused:

It's gonna be too big to put in your pocket and not capable enough to replace your laptop. It's like worse of iphone and laptop put together. Sure, you will be able to listen to music, watch movies and play games on the go, but that's not a good enough reason to spend $1000 and carry this thing around.

The only way for this to succeed, I think, is to be an e-textbook reader, but there the issue will be the LCD screen and the eye strain.

cmaier
Jan 24, 2010, 11:32 PM
I don't really see how is this going to be a success :confused:

It's gonna be too big to put in your pocket and not capable enough to replace your laptop. It's like worse of iphone and laptop put together. Sure, you will be able to listen to music, watch movies and play games on the go, but that's not a good enough reason to spend $1000 and carry this thing around.

The only way for this to succeed, I think, is to be an e-textbook reader, but there the issue will be the LCD screen and the eye strain.

It won't be as big and heavy as a laptop, but will do way more than a phone. It's like best of iphone and laptop put together.

NAG
Jan 24, 2010, 11:33 PM
LOL they actually said that about the segway?

It was said in a negative way but spun as something positive. For segways to be successful they would have to redesign cities. Hence why they failed.

cvaldes
Dude, don't worry. I'm absolutely CONVINCED your penis is bigger than mine.
Actually I was comparing AAPL's penis with the competition's.

But don't worry. Now that we know what you think about your penis, you won't have to answer to that in the future.

:p

elbodude

APPLE for Life ....
Steve Forever!!!!!!!!
<faints>

Wow! To think, I grew up in Cupertino and now live 2 miles from Infinite Loop. I guess I just take this area for granted. I am a new Mac user after getting frustrated with Windoze. I am looking forward to Apple's announcement like the rest of us.

MacTheSpoon
Is this one of those Apple-approved leaks, to build up anticipation for Wednesday? :)

I was super excited about the iPhone release, but I just can't get excited about this. I have a bad feeling it is going to turn out like the Macbook Air: a small group of people will be totally thrilled, and the vast majority will shrug. There could be a lot of uncomfortable, polite applause during the unveiling of this thing. I'm sure everyone will enjoy seeing all the new gestures it uses, though.

Well, I guess we'll see, maybe I'll be wrong.

Stang68
Jan 24, 2010, 11:37 PM
Is this one of those Apple-approved leaks, to build up anticipation for Wednesday? :)

I was super excited about the iPhone release, but I just can't get excited about this. I have a bad feeling it is going to turn out like the Macbook Air: a small group of people will be totally thrilled, and the vast majority will shrug. There could be a lot of uncomfortable, polite applause during the unveiling of this thing. I'm sure everyone will enjoy seeing all the new gestures it uses, though.

For the sake of all things holy, I hope you are wrong. :p

true777
Jan 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
I hope this doesn't mean Steve Jobs plans to retire after launching this.

m828s
Jan 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
Actually I was comparing AAPL's penis with the competition's.

But don't worry. Now that we know what you think about your penis, you won't have to answer to that in the future.

:p

I see. You took me literally.

Now that was something I never expected -- you had seemed so well versed.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 11:41 PM

It will really depend on the price point of the alleged device. MacBook Air was never priced as a consumer electronics device.

The sweet spot for consumer electronics is less than $200. That's really the "spousal-approval" threshold. $199 is when things start moving.

A complex device like a tablet or the iPhone really needs to be subsidized by a service provider to make the price drop to this level or the manufacturer needs to adjust their business model to make their margins off a different part of their business (much as printer manufacturers make most of their dough from consumables). The basic BOM costs for the iPhone 3GS hover around $185. Competitive devices (Nexus One, Palm Pre) are very close to this amount.

That said, I do not see any major competitors currently at this $199 threshold for a tablet device. The closest thing is the Amazon Kindle, but that is a pureplay eBook reader.

Whether or not Apple can find success at charging customers for a premium-priced tablet remains to be seen, but historically they have done quite well selling premium-priced MP3 players, smartphones, and computers using the iTunes Store content as a driver for hardware sales. Assuming that Apple can offer a reasonably competitive portfolio of media offerings comparable to those of their competitors, I see no reason why Apple should not continue to be a major player in this consumer electronics arena.

cvaldes
Jan 24, 2010, 11:49 PM
I see. You took me literally.

Now that was something I never expected -- you had seemed so well versed.
Yes, these Internet bboards are always so deceptive in what is real and what is imagined. I am glad to have continued the time-honored tradition of confusion.

It was worth it.

slffl
Jan 24, 2010, 11:50 PM
I'm saving up the nickels for this one!!

brewcitywi
Jan 24, 2010, 11:50 PM
I think he must be thinking about the eco impact the tablet could have, if it could revolutionize magazines, newspapers, and textbooks.

the changes to the education system, news, and savings in print could be pretty important!

marksman
Jan 24, 2010, 11:54 PM
My reply to Steve Jobs:

"That's what she said."

kugino
Jan 24, 2010, 11:54 PM
i'm with those who are unsure where this is going to fit into one's collection of tools. yes, it's too big to stuff in the pocket, probably too underpowered to compete with my laptop. have a kindle to read books, etc. etc. etc.

but i'm open to having that "ooohhh" moment, where steve makes it plainly obvious why i need this thing. who am i kidding...i'll buy it.

GL2
Jan 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
The "most important thing" Jobs has ever done? That's either overhyping it (I'm expecting essentially a larger iPhone with some bells and whistles) or it's going to be much different than what has been rumored. I predict the former.

TheSpaz
Jan 24, 2010, 11:57 PM
Why would Steve go around talking about an unreleased product? Isn't he more secretive than that?

DCJ001
Jan 25, 2010, 12:01 AM
I think this will be the last big thing from Apple/Steve for a very long time. There just isn't somewhere else to create a completely new product / idea after this.

"Everything that can be invented already has been.”

This statement was released in 1899 by the U.S. Patent Office. If these “experts” ran the world, we would still be sitting in the dark. It is our responsibility to shatter outdated thinking and to explore the realm of the untested; it is here that breakthrough opportunities are waiting to be discovered.

“... the people who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do!”

Frazzle
Jan 25, 2010, 12:02 AM
Quit whining that this thing will not fit into your pockets. First of all, after buying it, there'll be plenty of room. But most importantly: Steve will come on stage in a new pair of jeans that has an iPocket! I was there when they made the deal with Levi's. Soon, all the other brands and shirtmakers will follow. And we will all remember Jan 27, 2010 as the day our emperor showed us his new clothes. Amen. ;)

Friscohoya
Jan 25, 2010, 12:08 AM
Wow. These are flavor flav hype levels! Apple created the hype. I have to assume it wasnt just to fleece the bloggers. Hopefully they actually have something.

cmfilms
Jan 25, 2010, 12:08 AM
How is this thing going to live up to all these expectations? I'm going to go into skeptical mode Wednesday morning.

I think it's just going to be a Bamboo with a reading light clamped to it. There. Now I should be pleasantly surprised! ;)

NewtypeCJ
Jan 25, 2010, 12:12 AM
Gotta say between this quote and the collected tablet-related patents over at Patently Apple, my excitement level for Wednesday has been raised quite a bit. :) Looking forward to this in a big way.

gibbz
Jan 25, 2010, 12:13 AM
How is this thing going to live up to all these expectations? I'm going to go into skeptical mode Wednesday morning.

I think it's just going to be a Bamboo with a reading light clamped to it. There. Now I should be pleasantly surprised! ;)

I imagine this will follow along with every other Apple type event.

1.) Insane Hype
2.) Apple releases a great product
3.) People are expecting the Messiah, yet only get a great product
4.) Stock dips
5.) Apple sells tons of new device, outperforms expectations, outpaces rest of market.
6.) Stock surges
7.) Rumors of new product
8.) Repeat 1 - 7

HLdan
Jan 25, 2010, 12:14 AM
I'll be in SF on Wednesday, listening for spontaneous cheers erupting throughout the city.

I'll be in the city too on Wednesday. It's nice to live in the Bay Area. :D

Stridder44
Jan 25, 2010, 12:21 AM
Didn't he feel the same way when he released the G4 Cube?

Ironduke
Jan 25, 2010, 12:26 AM
Come on Stevie make us shoot in our pants!:eek:

glowingstar
Jan 25, 2010, 12:35 AM
hoping that when he says "the most important thing i've ever done," that's it's important in a OLPC kinda way. at the very least, i hope his life's work isn't just to make some super-cool gadget but to somehow help humanity in general. :)

Jan 25, 2010, 01:01 AM
A P P L E LOVERS DO YOU REALIZE WE ARE WITNESSING HISTORY!!!???

1998 = iMac

2001 = iPod

2007 = iPhone

2010 = ????

WHAT COMPANY DOES THIS!!!!!!????? WHAT CEO CREATES THIS??????

WE ARE SERIOUSLY SEEING HISTORY!!!!! A P P L E = COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY/INNOVATION

err... also, don'f forget to inhale from time to time. :rolleyes:

G4DP
Jan 25, 2010, 01:05 AM
Head up own arse syndrome all over again. Just as it was with the iPhone.

Sorry, Arn but this should be page two at most, let alone a headline.

Hurahura
Jan 25, 2010, 01:09 AM
@glowingstar, "somehow help humanity in general", you mean the way Bill Gates does? Personally I would prefer Steve Jobs to keep on helping people like me with "supercool gadgets". Hopefully, like the tablet!

Just as a matter of information, it appears, unsurprisingly (to me, at least), that Mac users are far more generous with charitable donations than Windows users (http://blog.globalgiving.org/2008/03/26/mac-users-are-more-generous-than-windows-users/).

neutrino23
Jan 25, 2010, 01:12 AM
This is only as good as your gullibility. After all, I could have written a cronjob that uttered the same words of flattery ten years ago. I would have found it amusing for a week or two, but sadly lacking and pathetic thereafter.

In any case, facial recognition isn't the same as emotional identification. Whether or not your computer recognizes you or your dog and wishes you a nice day is largely immaterial.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think you missed the sense of my post. If Apple, or anyone else, can incorporate aspects of our emotions into a product it will be a game changer. It doesn't have to be as spectacular as the HAL 9000. It has to be more meaningful than that goofy paper clip that MS came up with.

This is what we do with machines, we capture little bits of ourselves. All sorts of motorized devices have replaced or amplified our muscles. Optical devices and sensors outperform our eyes. Calculators, computers and digital memory have amplified our intellectual capabilities. We have yet to seriously integrate emotionally with machines so I see this as an area of opportunity. Again, not something as comprehensive as HAL, but the first baby steps of recognition and response. If a computer can recognize my face with quite high reliability, if it can see what quadrant of the screen I'm looking at or if it can see whether I'm looking at the screen or not would be impressive and useful. Importantly, the machine would be adapting to us rather than the other way around. My point is that if we start interacting with our machines emotionally, even in very simple ways, it will be a sea change, to say the least.

allendsmeet
Jan 25, 2010, 01:17 AM
When Jobs has these words to say about this new product, I think it points to it being more of a digital media hub than just a tablet. Something that unifies work on a laptop, photos from a camera, video from the TV, music from the iPod, Internet content, and any other media wirelessly accessible, into a gesture-based device that has a stand to sit it up-right or that can be interfaced with via virtual keyboard and finger-gestures.

The only way this idea could possibly be cooler, is if tactile contact is completely done away with. By this I mean, that Apple has succeeded at making finger/hand gestures practical for such a device, without fingers/hands ever having to touch the device.

That's the only way I can see Apple one-upping any competing tablets, blowing all other products in that category out of the way.

yayitsezekiel
Jan 25, 2010, 01:20 AM
nonetheless, i'm just happy to be a user of Apple products in this day and age :) I'm super excited to see what they unveil here!

cvaldes
Jan 25, 2010, 01:21 AM
I agree with what you're saying, but I think you missed the sense of my post. If Apple, or anyone else, can incorporate aspects of our emotions into a product it will be a game changer. It doesn't have to be as spectacular as the HAL 9000. It has to be more meaningful than that goofy paper clip that MS came up with.

This is what we do with machines, we capture little bits of ourselves. All sorts of motorized devices have replaced or amplified our muscles. Optical devices and sensors outperform our eyes. Calculators, computers and digital memory have amplified our intellectual capabilities. We have yet to seriously integrate emotionally with machines so I see this as an area of opportunity. Again, not something as comprehensive as HAL, but the first baby steps of recognition and response. If a computer can recognize my face with quite high reliability, if it can see what quadrant of the screen I'm looking at or if it can see whether I'm looking at the screen or not would be impressive and useful. Importantly, the machine would be adapting to us rather than the other way around. My point is that if we start interacting with our machines emotionally, even in very simple ways, it will be a sea change, to say the least.
That's all very nice, but computers have a difficult time recognizing speech and handwriting right now. To expect them to understand and adapt to human emotion at this time is rather implausible.

For example, how do you get them to understand sarcasm? Many live human beings don't understand it on the Internet, and these are people who live with it. Add to that people who *DON'T* see it on a regular basis and you will witness mass confusion.

Your ambitions are fine and worthy, but even today most of Google Voice's transcripts of my mom's v-mails are almost totally inscrutable and often a complete joke. To expect today's systems (even the very best) to understand human emotion is unrealistic.

MrCrowbar
Jan 25, 2010, 01:30 AM
I imagine this will follow along with every other Apple type event.

1.) Insane Hype
2.) Apple releases a great product
3.) People are expecting the Messiah, yet only get a great product
4.) Stock dips
5.) Apple sells tons of new device, outperforms expectations, outpaces rest of market.
6.) Stock surges
7.) Rumors of new product
8.) Repeat 1 - 7

Yup, this is it.

jamisonbaines
Jan 25, 2010, 01:30 AM
i read this entire thread. not necessarily because i believed this quote to be fact or fiction but because it is interesting to hear peoples reactions.

there are those with expectations, those with ideas, those with cynicism, those with arrogant self centered touting, and those with simple interest and excitement for what is to come.

myself? i would rather this thing cost $2000 than have it be an underachieving $200 piece of junk. as has been stated many times apple doesn't quest to cater to everyone.
some of the ideas have been interesting. most noteworthy for me is that of the tablet being used as a new way of interfacing with your computer. i bought a netbook with the specific purpose of hacking for os x and using it to control my computer via remote desktop. if this tablet enables that in a creative and new way i'll want one. of course there is so much more potential that goes alongside it as most already realize.

to the people whining on about macbook and apple tv updates, will you be more excited when the first flying car is introduced or when gm brings out the next generation corvette with 50 more hp and a .2 second faster quarter mile?

and to the dude masturbating to his stock portfolio all up in this thread i truly don't want to dignify your idiocy with a response but do keep in mind whether apple's singular goal is to innovate or to make their shareholders money the goal is one and the same. money enables innovation, innovation drives profits. whatever price you bought in at is money you gave apple, every word of hype you spout is advertising. if the pr man says our stock reports will promote our emphasis on shareholder profits then they are pleasing their shareholders. i buy products to use them and better express myself and live my life in a modern and changing world. you buy your stocks to use them and increase your account balance in a selfish world. either way we both seemingly have hope for something noteworthy to further our own pursuits. so whether you are the type of person that a product was designed to empower or the type of person who will simply aim to exploit at the end of the day we should both be able to sit back and spout optimism and hope for an exciting future.

cvaldes
Jan 25, 2010, 01:35 AM
and to the dude masturbating to his stock portfolio all up in this thread i truly don't want to dignify your idiocy with a response but do keep in mind whether apple's singular goal is to innovate or to make their shareholders money the goal is one and the same.
You need to grow up.

I will point out that stock portfolio performance and product usage are two mutually exclusive scenarios. I have no problem making tons of money off of an investment that I personally do not participate in as a consumer. Likewise, there are consumer purchases that I will make without investing in the corporate parent as a whole, simply because my investment strategy or personal spending habits doesn't fit.

Remember, diversity is one of the key elements of my stock investment strategy. What Apple does or doesn't do isn't the exclusive reasoning for all of my investment actions.

And frankly, if your investment overperformed in their ability to increase shareholder value, you would probably be more willing to let them pursue more radical ideas.

mikes70mustang
Jan 25, 2010, 01:39 AM
I cant what to see how underwhelming this is, i.e. giant ipod touch

gamerw00t
Jan 25, 2010, 01:40 AM
"This will be the most important thing I've ever done"

Maybe he isnt talking about the tablet... maybe he hand selected a new CEO to take over whom he trusts, and trained, and feels that they can maintain the future of apple

or maybe he's lowering the cost of all their products... psshhtt yeah right

maybe he cured cancer, or bought out microsoft hahaha

or maybe he'll just be like... "i called geico!!!"

but if it is the tablet, heres some interesting things that it could be:
-everything is on screen... no mouse, no keyboard, it has awesome gestures that make computing QUICK, maybe they will focus on speed and efficiency of things due to the touch screen. double tap means close window, on screen swiping for expose, etc.
-im figuring it will be a cheap laptop, hopefully around $400... remember kids, $400 for a laptop is really cheap... but then look... its made by apple!
-the all in one book/notebook. This would be GREAT for college... All you would need is the tablet... no more $700 books. and the ability to write on it smoothly and easily would be sick

I think we know exactly what its gonna be like, and wont be surprised, because we already accepted it as part of reality. Theres really nothing else that I (or any of you) have thought of... honestly, what more can it be

i think it is simply gonna be a cheap macbook (which is still amazing [although, not too innovative... just not surprising or life changing as they claim... but maybe it will be life changing because it could possibly get more people to switch to apple os's])

smiddlehurst
Jan 25, 2010, 01:48 AM
If so, it better change the world. I really doubt this thing could be better then what Apple did for the computing industry in its early days.

I know I've said this elsewhere on these forums recently but I think what Apple are aiming for with the tablet, the only thing that really makes sense to me anyway, is the worlds first true consumer-targeted computer.

All current OS's are built around concepts and metaphors that originated in the business world and are now horribly out of date. The learning curve to a non-technical user even for OS X is huge and many are either scared away or don't maintain the system. Certainly a vast number of home users don't utilise the power of modern applications and the OS they run on. With a tablet based around the design language of the iPhone Apple could create something simple, powerful, attractive and that people will actually WANT to use. Vastly easier to use than a normal laptop or desktop, small applications built to do a single job well without any of the extra features that for most home users just get in the way.

Or they could just launch a big iPod that doesn't ever leave the geek ghetto. We'll see on Wednesday I'll guess. :D

jamisonbaines
Jan 25, 2010, 01:51 AM
You need to grow up.

different perspectives on life. some people would donate their time and every cent they have to humanitarian causes, some people build mansions and furnish them with rainforest hardwood and poached hunting trophies. i'm not saying i'm the former nor you the latter. i view the things you have written as being far more immature on the whole that my own opinions but of course opinion isn't valued in $$.

i just come here out of interest. my thoughts shouldn't be a reflection on any corporation just as any corporation shouldn't be a reflection on my thoughts. i am excited to welcome some cool new technology.

olternaut
Jan 25, 2010, 01:58 AM
Didn't he feel the same way when he released the G4 Cube?

No, not really. He liked the product though of course.

gamerw00t
Jan 25, 2010, 02:00 AM
I know I've said this elsewhere on these forums recently but I think what Apple are aiming for with the tablet, the only thing that really makes sense to me anyway, is the worlds first true consumer-targeted computer.

All current OS's are built around concepts and metaphors that originated in the business world and are now horribly out of date. The learning curve to a non-technical user even for OS X is huge and many are either scared away or don't maintain the system. Certainly a vast number of home users don't utilise the power of modern applications and the OS they run on. With a tablet based around the design language of the iPhone Apple could create something simple, powerful, attractive and that people will actually WANT to use. Vastly easier to use than a normal laptop or desktop, small applications built to do a single job well without any of the extra features that for most home users just get in the way.

Or they could just launch a big iPod that doesn't ever leave the geek ghetto. We'll see on Wednesday I'll guess. :D

i actually like that idea... a computer that computer-retarded people can use... but how much simpler can it be?

i mean a mac, you turn it on. then you click the program you want to use, use the program, close the lid. the end. idk it already is pretty simple...

maybe it comes set up with the perfect set of freeware programs that are user friendly (moreso than linux):
-An Office Suite
-iPhoto
-iTunes
-Safari
-Maybe photobooth or a paint-esque program for fun

Really what more do you need for basic computing? I think Steve thinks that they overcomplicated things (yes... Apple overcomplicating things lol) so they put just the things you need in an operating system... Really with those programs, you can basically do everything you can on a computer, except video/image editing/ garage band.

I mean, maybe iCal and iChat, but what else would you need? (iTunes can replace quick time player....... maybe)

So maybe you're right; its a simplified version of a computer with JUST the programs you need. Extremely simple

Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity.

Peace
Jan 25, 2010, 02:02 AM
I'm sorry but stuff doesn't add up.

Apple has been very secretive about this yet top executives and family members are telling tech blogs about how excited Steve is with his new tablet?

Click Through ads is the only thing this is about.

gamerw00t
Jan 25, 2010, 02:08 AM

Apple has been very secretive about this yet top executives and family members are telling tech blogs about how excited Steve is with his new tablet?

a cheap os / product / software with click ads all over the place

ive head of that before... thats unapple like... maybe they really really lowered the price because of this... thats unapple like too... who knows... hopefully that isnt it

cvaldes
Jan 25, 2010, 02:09 AM

Click through ads directly benefit the media sources, not Apple itself.

The main benefit of "leaked" information is increased shareholder value, but with the recent turmoil in the worldwide stock market, that has not been the result for Apple Inc. over the past few weeks (or almost anyone else).

Peace
Jan 25, 2010, 02:10 AM
Click through ads directly benefit the media sources, not Apple itself.

The main benefit of "leaked" information is increased shareholder value, but with the recent turmoil in the worldwide stock market, that has not been the result for Apple Inc. over the past few weeks (or almost anyone else).

I was referring to the blogs as far as click throughs are concerned.;)