PDA

View Full Version : Help with G5

Sauron's Master
Aug 21, 2004, 09:30 AM
Apparently, my power strip that my computer equipment was connected to somehow got unplugged. That alone shouldn't be a problem but rather than recovering from the power outage as normal, my G5 is a sort of comatose state. The power light on the front still indicates that it's on; there's no flashing though. If I press the power button on the monitor, the same result occurs. Keyboard doesn't respond and reseting the power again also has no effect. Fans remain off constantly and I've checked all the internal components to make sure that they're securely seated in their slots. Does anyone have a clue as to what the cause of this malfunction is?

Hypothetically, could I take it to the AppleStore (I ordered the computer in late July, shipped 9/23, and received 9/25 without additional support options) and have it checked up for free? Potentially fixed for free?Anyone know the relative cost for repairs at an AppleStore (ie, cheaper or more expensive than other Apple-Authorized dealers)?

Computer:

Dual 2.0 GHz G5 (Rev. A)
Stock 2x256MB RAM
160 GB HD
Radeon 9800
OS X 10.3.5

Finiksa
Aug 21, 2004, 09:43 AM
If you received it September 25th last year you should still have a little over a month of your 1 year AppleCare warranty left. Call Apple and book it in for a repair, they'll have you take it into a local reseller or Apple store for repair, should be free.

And consider buying AppleCare depending on what the problem is.

jsw
Aug 21, 2004, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't mention the whole power-cord-came-unplugged thing unless you have to, though. Unplugging the power shouldn't fry the system. But... Apple might find a way to blame you for it anyway.

Sun Baked
Aug 21, 2004, 10:13 AM
Resetting the PowerMac G5's PMU (http://commons.exittoshell.com/viewtopic.php?t=13)

Sauron's Master
Aug 21, 2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I actually didn't get a chance to read replies before going to the AppleStore but they reset the PMU and it works now minus some HD data loss.

jane doe
Aug 22, 2004, 03:22 PM
Resetting the PowerMac G5's PMU (http://commons.exittoshell.com/viewtopic.php?t=13)

As you now know resetting the PMU on the logic board is a good place to start for power problems. Exittoshell.com that Sun Baked refers to has the steps to follow. He does mention leaving the power cord plugged in, this is incorrect. You will need to unplug it.

Good advise non the less.

Sun Baked
Aug 22, 2004, 03:30 PM
As you now know resetting the PMU on the logic board is a good place to start for power problems. Exittoshell.com that Sun Baked refers to has the steps to follow. He does mention leaving the power cord plugged in, this is incorrect. You will need to unplug it.

Good advise non the less.Actually he tells you to leave it in -- until you discharge the static charge you hold, then unplug it.

On a metal shelled computer the advice really isn't needed, but on some of the plastic boxed machines you can still have a charge after unplugging the machine.

Everybody always misses the unplug the machine part.

He should really have highlighted it.# Shut the computer down and wait several minutes for it to cool down. The reset switch is right above the power supply compartment.

Arrow Leave the power cable plugged into the computer and the outlet.

# Touch the metal PCI access covers on the back of the computer to discharge any static electricity from your body.

# Unplug the power cord. If you have to walk around the desk to unplug the cord leave it plugged in, touch the PCI access covers and then unplug the cord. Moving around can generate more static electricity and unplugging the cord will eliminate the ability to discharge static electricity

jane doe
Aug 22, 2004, 03:46 PM
Your right I did miss that. :) I always suggest removing the power plug before opening the computer. Then touch the metel on the caseing to discharge. This will create a relative gound to the computer and reduce the chance of missing that critial step of unplugging the computer.