Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone getting excited about this near future title (March)? The cinematics in the PS2 version (FFXII) impressed the heck out of me although the some of the goofy mobs, like killer tomatoes left a little to be desired. Coop would be nice but based on history I'm not planning on it.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I have been anticipating this since I ordered it from Amazon back in June, 2006. I've currently got the standard and Collectors Edition pre-ordered, and frankly March couldn't come any sooner.

Still annoyed that they're doing a 360 port, as reports I've read have noted a downgrade in visuals from the PS3-only builds to the cross-platform ones.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'll be getting this for my Xbox, probably not in March (Pokemon cometh). I'm not usually bothered by big screen RPGs either but I've been sucked into Final Fantasy over the past couple of years. And never owning a PS2 I skipped out on 12.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Haven't decided whether to get or not, but if I did it would be on the PS3 probably.

edit...

My reservations apply to most JRPG's and have prevented my enjoyment of a lot of current this gen RPG's (Last Odyssey, BlueDragon and more...) are random battles; back tracking to needlessly increase game length, unlikeable characters with terrible dialogue that goes on forever, old fashioned inventory systems that have not changed since the 16Bit era.

I know it will look pretty, but if those old throwback gameplay mechanics persist - I will struggle with FFXIII

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Haven't decided whether to get or not, but if I did it would be on the PS3 probably.

edit...

My reservations apply to most JRPG's and have prevented my enjoyment of a lot of current this gen RPG's (Last Odyssey, BlueDragon and more...) are random battles; back tracking to needlessly increase game length, unlikeable characters with terrible dialogue that goes on forever, old fashioned inventory systems that have not changed since the 16Bit era.

I know it will look pretty, but if those old throwback gameplay mechanics persist - I will struggle with FFXIII

Just play Persona 4 MRU. Do it.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'll most likely be getting the PS3 version. I tend to play on the 360 more but something just feels weird about playing a Square Enix game on a non-Playstation device to me...

I'm even taking that week off from work I think to have ample time to get underway on it... :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm getting it; I preordered it back in 2008 when the 360 version was first announced. I'm also a sucker for soundtracks and I'm expecting the FFXIII one to turn up today :D

Having said that, I should get out of this thread now. I'm trying not to read much about the game now that it's out in Japan; I don't want to accidentally pick up any spoilers!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I've never beat a Final Fantasy game... closest I ever came to the end was FFVII. I got to the end boss and died once and then I got distracted and quit or something... maybe just was worn out... I played the last Final Fantasy game but I think after I killed like 3 tomatoes I quit.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've never beat a Final Fantasy game... closest I ever came to the end was FFVII. I got to the end boss and died once and then I got distracted and quit or something... maybe just was worn out... I played the last Final Fantasy game but I think after I killed like 3 tomatoes I quit.

Same!
FFI- stuck, got 1 crystal.
FFII- own it but not played it
FFIII- got to the frog tower place
FFIV- up to the magnetic cave boss
FFVII- up to the big cave near the end
Dissidia- only beat Clouds story :eek:
FFT+A2- very early into both :eek:

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
The japanese really dont like this game. It sold like crazy in the beginning since its FF but quickly dropped in the charts after everyone talked about how bad it was.

They hate it because theres no towns and its as linear as a piece of string, they also hate how you are constantly being interrupted by cinematics. For the japanese not to like something because its too linear you know its got to be bad.

Im not going to get this game, if its one thing I hate its linearity.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I have been anticipating this since I ordered it from Amazon back in June, 2006. I've currently got the standard and Collectors Edition pre-ordered, and frankly March couldn't come any sooner.

Still annoyed that they're doing a 360 port, as reports I've read have noted a downgrade in visuals from the PS3-only builds to the cross-platform ones.

From what I've Read the 360 is 3 Discs Compressed audio and the suposivly removed about 16GB between Video and Audio Compresion.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
If I made it through Eternal Sonata I think I can make it through this. I actually enjoy linear every now and then and like turn based play so it'll fill a niche for me. These aren't games I play all the time but sometimes I just like to know exactly where to go without having to look around all over the place...

Paul

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Been playing the import since the Japanese launch date. Played the hell out of it over the first weekend then hit a wall with one of the bosses. Gave it a rest for almost a month (got too busy to put in any real hours between work and life), but started playing it again over the past 2 weeks. Trying to beat it before the english release. Much of the negative stuff is true, but there is some logic behind the game's over all design. I'm over 30 hours in and feel like I'm about a quarter or a third of the way through. All of the mechanics and options have finally been given to me. I've got one summon left to earn. I've met a villian, who may not be the main villian. I've seen a couple of major plot twist. Cinematics aren't that frequent or long. Nothing close to the length of MGS4 cut-scenes.
It's kind of late and I just saw this thread so I haven't really had a chance to properly gather my thoughts. I'm gonna try to clock in some major hours over the weekend and maybe post some bullet points to the rumors and criticism. In the mean time feel free to ask me anything. Oh, and I like what I've played so far.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've realized "linear" can be good if the story telling is superb (like DAO), but generally I prefer open world RPGs (like Oblivion).

It's been a while since I casually played Final Fantasy (XII PS2*), but I don't remember it being turn based?

*Sorry I had an extra V in there... I was talking of FF 12.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Final Fantasy 17 was the game that made turn based battles popular again! Don't you remember the preview of it at 2018's E3?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Final Fantasy 17 was the game that made turn based battles popular again! Don't you remember the preview of it at 2018's E3?

Pretty sure they meant XII, which was indeed not turn-based. XIII marks a return to the traditional ATB system.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
A white FFXIII Xbox 360 Elite bundle! I might finally own all 3 current gen consoles. Especially since the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia is officially not coming to America anymore. Still might import that though. Plus I was waiting for a version with a larger hard drive.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
A white FFXIII Xbox 360 Elite bundle! I might finally own all 3 current gen consoles. Especially since the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia is officially not coming to America anymore. Still might import that though. Plus I was waiting for a version with a larger hard drive.

Lame bundle. It's a standard white 360 with a 250GB drive, unlike the JAP PS3 with actual decals etc.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Lame bundle. It's a standard white 360 with a 250GB drive, unlike the JAP PS3 with actual decals etc.

Could care less what it looks like. It's a 360. It looks like a cheap Dell desktop no matter what color it is. If I'm gonna get one it better have the largest hard drive. Think I'll still get FFXIII on the PS3 when I play it in english though. I think I'll be finished with the japanese version by this weekend.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Could care less what it looks like. It's a 360. It looks like a cheap Dell desktop no matter what color it is. If I'm gonna get one it better have the largest hard drive. Think I'll still get FFXIII on the PS3 when I play it in english though. I think I'll be finished with the japanese version by this weekend.

From the trailers I've got the impression that its a mix of FF7 (setting) and 10 (linearity), is that the case or did they just do a good job throwing people off? Also how long is it until completion?
Been watching the trailer a few times whilst my work computer was being repaired. Gotta say I'm really pumped for it now :eek:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.