Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I grabbed the PStriple version. Traded in Batman AA (which I got for $23 brand new when it came out) because I bought it on GFWL for $12 so it was expendable. Also traded in Twilight Princess (they gave me $35 for it!) so it was a wash. Yay!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I almost bought this for the 360 but then the PS3/360 comparisons came in... I was already teetering on the edge and they had to go and push me over! But without a PS3 I guess I'm going to have to wait :eek:.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well, that was quick. I'm at 8:30 played and it just asked me to swap to disk 2. I hope the other disks are longer than the first or it's going to be a short game! :eek:

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Well, that was quick. I'm at 8:30 played and it just asked me to swap to disk 2. I hope the other disks are longer than the first or it's going to be a short game! :eek:
The story is back heavy. One of my personal negatives besides the uninspired map design. Chapters 11 through 13 are almost as long as first 10 chapters combined. Interestingly GameTrailers stated that it's a 40 hour game, but all the english speakers who imported the game for the last 3 months have universally been saying they finished it between 50 and 60 hours.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well, 40-60 hours sounds encouraging. It took me 75 to get through XII, which was too long in my opinion (although I did a good number of sidequests).

It's time for me to leave the Whitewood until tomorrow and get some sleep now though! :)

kelvicharlie

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
I am a huge fan of FF series so bought PS3 and I am playing Final Fantasy XIII game on it.Final Fantasy XIII is a story about 6 lCie who must find their mission that was given to them by the FalCie. But there’s a catch: They don’t know what their mission is.So far the game looks quite pretty.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I am not digging the sci-fi theme, it's all a bit meh! and I honestly have no care for any of the characters. 60+ hours in the company of this group of unpleasant characters is not an enticing prospect. The only one who's got any character is the chocobo ;)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I think the last Final Fantasy game I played was on the SNES.

Oddly enough, my favorite game of the series (of the ones I have played) was Final Fantasy Legend II on the Gameboy! I loved it so much - maybe they can just remake that one for PSN? :D

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Ok not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I am not digging the sci-fi theme, it's all a bit meh! and I honestly have no care for any of the characters. 60+ hours in the company of this group of unpleasant characters is not an enticing prospect. The only one who's got any character is the chocobo ;)

See, I'm the opposite - I'm enjoying it, more so as time goes on. The battle system is opening up to the point where it is more challenging and tactical, and the characters are slowly revealing the reasoning behind their attitudes. I don't really like the character of Hope, but the others I'm finding believable (well, within FF logic) and in many cases endearing.

As for the theme? Square always change their settings, and I'm glad to see a move away from "medieval" side of things for once. Sci-fi is fine, but I expect they'll move in other direction of XV.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
See, I'm the opposite - I'm enjoying it, more so as time goes on. The battle system is opening up to the point where it is more challenging and tactical, and the characters are slowly revealing the reasoning behind their attitudes. I don't really like the character of Hope, but the others I'm finding believable (well, within FF logic) and in many cases endearing.

As for the theme? Square always change their settings, and I'm glad to see a move away from "medieval" side of things for once. Sci-fi is fine, but I expect they'll move in other direction of XV.

They haven't been "medieval" since FFIX (save FFXI). XII was kinda sorta but still was filled with guns and technological ships etc. This game seems very much in the vein of FFVIII although more so. Squeenix' sci-fi-anime look seems really cookie cutter nowadays...

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'm about 12 hours in, just got the 5th or 6th trophy... the combat is okay. The boss fights can certainly be challenging but the in between fights are generally auto-ability. I really dislike the map design. I don't ever know or care where I am. It's not like I have a choice as to where to go.

I need to find a story summary. I'm not getting what is going on... who is fighting who and why. It seems like my characters all hated this one faction but now they... I don't even know what.

nobunaga209

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
TX
I'm about 12 hours in, just got the 5th or 6th trophy... the combat is okay. The boss fights can certainly be challenging but the in between fights are generally auto-ability. I really dislike the map design. I don't ever know or care where I am. It's not like I have a choice as to where to go.

I need to find a story summary. I'm not getting what is going on... who is fighting who and why. It seems like my characters all hated this one faction but now they... I don't even know what.

I was in the same boat until I actually started reading the Datalog after long cut scenes. The log actually explains the story in a much better fashion than the clips do....IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.