PDA

View Full Version : G5 won't sleep after installing 10.3.5!!!

trampaslake
Aug 23, 2004, 05:16 PM
I have a 1.8 single G5. I installed the 10.3.5 update and after that, the computer wouldn't sleep. The screen would go black, but the fan would still be turning and it would not "snore". So I call Apple and they tell me to reinstall 10.3. So I do and the thing sleeps fine. Thinking something was wrong with the way I download the update, I re-update to 10.3.5. Same problem as before.

Has anybody heard of this before? I thought I saw a thread on this earlier, but I can't find it anywhere if I did. Does anybody have any ideas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

stoid
Aug 23, 2004, 05:26 PM
Certainly let Apple know that 10.3.5 is causing this problem. Then re-install 10.3 and leave it at that. Since your computer is running 24/7 without sleeping, why not fold (http://folding.stanford.edu/) in the meantime. ;)

vraxtus
Aug 23, 2004, 05:27 PM
I have a 1.8 single G5. I installed the 10.3.5 update and after that, the computer wouldn't sleep. The screen would go black, but the fan would still be turning and it would not "snore". So I call Apple and they tell me to reinstall 10.3. So I do and the thing sleeps fine. Thinking something was wrong with the way I download the update, I re-update to 10.3.5. Same problem as before.

Has anybody heard of this before? I thought I saw a thread on this earlier, but I can't find it anywhere if I did. Does anybody have any ideas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I have the same computer. I'll try it when I get home.

Duncan H
Aug 29, 2004, 02:10 AM
I've got an eMac (I only bought it last week, and I've never had a Mac before), and it does exactly the same thing. It'll sleep when ordered, but if I leave it, the fan keeps going.

When it arrived it had 10.3.4 on it, and worked ok. But I ran software update on the second day, and since then it's been exhibiting the described problem. I'm glad to see it's not just my machine.

wdlove
Aug 29, 2004, 05:07 PM
I'm really surprised that the machines aren't shipped with 10.3.5. It seems that there is a glitch somewhere. Did you run repair permissions after the installation and then reboot the machine?

wdlove
Aug 29, 2004, 05:07 PM
Sorry, this time when I got the server is busy warning it caused an error. A glitch caused a duplicate. A previous time the duplicate warning fixed itself, when I didn't press anything.

vkapoormd
Aug 29, 2004, 05:49 PM

I'm glad it didn't just happen to me; i upgraded to 10.3.5 in my Powerbook, and immediately had the same problem, my computer wouldn't sleep when it was supposed to; I trouble shot this with the apple care rep, and finally after an hour or so, we decided to re-install 10.3 and just upgraded to 10.3.4 to ensure it worked with airport express. It solved the not going to sleep problem; curiously, i haven't had any such problem with my G5, so go figure... :confused: