PDA

View Full Version : sleep indicator light stays on...

gjimmy
Aug 24, 2004, 01:56 AM
my 15" PB 1.5ghz Sleep indicator light stays on sometimes when the machine is running. Also the ethernet cable, if moved around while plugged in, makes the sleep indicator light flicker.

I was told this might be a motherboard issue...could this be?

Any other suggestions.

Thanks

p.s. the powerbook is only 3 weeks old.

wrldwzrd89
Aug 24, 2004, 07:15 AM
my 15" PB 1.5ghz Sleep indicator light stays on sometimes when the machine is running. Also the ethernet cable, if moved around while plugged in, makes the sleep indicator light flicker.

I was told this might be a motherboard issue...could this be?

Any other suggestions.

Thanks

p.s. the powerbook is only 3 weeks old.
I'd say it's highly likely that the source of the issue is a hardware problem somewhere on the motherboard, albeit a minor one that shouldn't stop your Mac from working normally. If it's only 3 weeks old, take it in to a nearby Apple Store and have them look at it. As long as you prove to them that you purchased it 3 weeks ago, they won't charge you for it.

dzavitz
Mar 27, 2005, 08:00 AM
Strange, I just had my sleep light come on solid bright....

Brand new 15" powerbook

stevebabcock
Nov 29, 2005, 09:12 PM
I am having the same issue. Someone told me to reset the power management, which I attempted to no avail. My computer is over a year old, and thus is no longer covered by apple's warranty. An Apple Store just opened in my city, so I'm wondering if I can simply take my computer there to get it looked at, or will they charge me an arm and a leg to fix this?

someone on another board told me that the flickering indicator could be foreshadowing for a serious problem to come if i don't get it fixed. thoughts?

robbieduncan
Nov 30, 2005, 02:30 AM
My PowerBook is 2 years old and has started doing that. It's a shame but as long as the machine works it's not too much of a problem...

Will Cheyney
Nov 30, 2005, 02:46 AM
How very odd!

AlBDamned
Nov 30, 2005, 07:50 AM
I'd say it's highly likely that the source of the issue is a hardware problem somewhere on the motherboard, albeit a minor one that shouldn't stop your Mac from working normally. If it's only 3 weeks old, take it in to a nearby Apple Store and have them look at it. As long as you prove to them that you purchased it 3 weeks ago, they won't charge you for it.

Obviously, as it's only three weeks old he won't need to prove anything as it will be a DDR2 model.

It might have lines on the screen though ;)

Seriously though gjimmy, take it to an Apple store and have it checked and if nothing too serious have it fixed there and then.

If it is a hardware problem like a motherboard fault, and provided you bought it from Apple and not a re-seller, demand a new Powerbook outright and don't take anything else as a satisfactory answer.

katie ta achoo
Nov 30, 2005, 08:04 AM
I am having the same issue. Someone told me to reset the power management, which I attempted to no avail. My computer is over a year old, and thus is no longer covered by apple's warranty. An Apple Store just opened in my city, so I'm wondering if I can simply take my computer there to get it looked at, or will they charge me an arm and a leg to fix this?

Usually the genius bar will take a look at it and NOT charge you.
I brought in my iBook G3 for MONTHS and they never charged me.
I mean, they even did a fresh install, and put up with me for so long, that they really should have charged me for being such an idiot.

But they didn't! Muahaha!