PDA

View Full Version : 2008 macpro 3,1 front fan replacement?

j2048b
Feb 1, 2010, 11:59 PM
Is there a better set of fans I can replace my stock font fans with?

They are making a weird sound and clicking almost like the middle bearing or sleve is loose or broke and it sounds like it is bouncing around!

Any faster or quieter fans I can put in there? Or part # for the replacement fans?

Thanks

CaptainChunk
Feb 2, 2010, 01:26 AM
Are you out of warranty or not have Applecare?

The front fans are actually part of an assembly that has the expansion card guides built into it. For that reason, I somehow doubt anyone makes aftermarket ones. In any case, the Apple P/N is 922-7699 and it ain't cheap (around $80-100 at most vendors).

j2048b
Feb 2, 2010, 01:59 AM
Are you out of warranty or not have Applecare?

The front fans are actually part of an assembly that has the expansion card guides built into it. For that reason, I somehow doubt anyone makes aftermarket ones. In any case, the Apple P/N is 922-7699 and it ain't cheap (around $80-100 at most vendors).

I still have applecare, i just wanted to see if anyone knew of any aftermarket fans that ran quit and faster or pulled more air into it/

thanks!

J the Ninja
Feb 2, 2010, 08:43 AM
The stock fans are pretty nice Delta models, IIRC. I don't think you'll be able to find anything significantly better. But as mentioned, the front fans are one big piece.

j2048b
Feb 2, 2010, 01:17 PM
The stock fans are pretty nice Delta models, IIRC. I don't think you'll be able to find anything significantly better. But as mentioned, the front fans are one big piece.

Thanks, appreciate the help as well!

Spacedust
Feb 2, 2010, 03:10 PM
Delta is making noisy fans. Use Noctua instead. They are whisper silent !

j2048b
Feb 2, 2010, 03:31 PM
Delta is making noisy fans. Use Noctua instead. They are whisper silent !

can i get theirs in the mac pro set up, or just change out mine and fit in the noctua ones inside the mac pro casing for the fans?

thanks

what ones would fit? and where to buy?

thanks

macuserx86
Feb 2, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the fans are screwed/clipped into the plastic housing. If you removed the fans and replaced them with similar size fans (they're 120mm fans, but you'll need to make sure the fans you replace them with are the same overall dimensions) then it could work. Do it after your apple care expires, or get a replacement fan assembly to mess around with in case you screw it up.