PDA

View Full Version : So, it doesn't seem like the iPad comes with the dock. What accessories are u getting

melman101
Feb 2, 2010, 06:36 AM
Well, I noticed that on the Tech Specs site on apple.com/ipad, there is no dock in the box.

I think I may get one of these, but not sure how useful it will be.

I am definitely getting the Apple case. Thinking about getting the iPad camera connection kit, just cause people might be able to use that USB port for other stuff. Still indecisive about that.

How about you?

master-ceo
Feb 2, 2010, 06:45 AM
If I don't change my mind on this thing and sell my 15" mbp for a 13".

I will get the apple case, camera and sd connection kit. Thats it.

Any more accessories than that is just too much crap to tote and defeats the purpose.

TraceyS/FL
Feb 2, 2010, 06:49 AM
Right now:

The Apple case, the dock, a BT keyboard and some sort of bag.

Elzlaik
Feb 2, 2010, 07:19 AM
Dock, case and camera connectors as soon as they're orderable.

Chupa Chupa
Feb 2, 2010, 07:20 AM
As of now I'll pick up an inexpensive netbook sleeve. I want to test out the virtual keyboard before I even think about buying a b/t keyboard. I doubt I'll be buying any specific iPad accessories though. They are overpriced and single purpose. No thanks. That kinda "kills the deal," if you know what I'm saying. I also don't expect to be doing copious amounts of typing on the iPad. Maybe some quick emails or a short memo.

wolfpackfan
Feb 2, 2010, 07:23 AM
Dock and camera/usb connector. I already have a Apple BT keyboard and a case that will fit it. If I find a thinner slipcase, I may get it. The one I have was for a 10" Asus netbook. But it's mighty thick. I want one that does not have a zipper.

w00tini
Feb 2, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'm hoping for a really sweet Vaja case to come out soon. I'm hoping to keep the tote bag very slim for the iPad so as to not defeat the purpose of going thin and light for my daily needs as a field sales rep.

Astro8973
Feb 2, 2010, 12:19 PM
Just the case and the dock for me. The case will depend on if a better one from a 3rd party comes out by then.

lordhamster
Feb 2, 2010, 12:25 PM
Camera kit so I can download photos from my SLR when on a trip. Other than that nothing.

Perhaps a Proclip.com mount for my car once they come out with one.

lilo777
Feb 2, 2010, 12:39 PM
Camera kit so I can download photos from my SLR when on a trip. Other than that nothing.

Perhaps a Proclip.com mount for my car once they come out with one.

You might need the case. Have you seen the reports (http://gizmodo.com/5458397/the-ipads-onscreen-typing-solution-isnt-a-solution-at-all) about iPad back being not flat which makes for very "unusual" experience when you try to type on this thing when it lies on a table?

anthonymoody
Feb 2, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm getting:

1) the keyboard dock (or regular dock + separate BT keyboard: want to examine each and feel them out for portability)

2) the Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad bag

3) a stick-on scratch protector for the back (not for the screen - I'm a naked screen guy)

lordhamster
Feb 2, 2010, 12:57 PM
You might need the case. Have you seen the reports (http://gizmodo.com/5458397/the-ipads-onscreen-typing-solution-isnt-a-solution-at-all) about iPad back being not flat which makes for very "unusual" experience when you try to type on this thing when it lies on a table?

I don't forsee writing 15 page proposals to customers on this thing, but rather answering the occasional email, running the occasional commend via a SSH terminal app or VNC, and reading websites. But thats just me. For those who need to write more, I'm sure some innovative case/keyboard combos will be offered by 3rd parties.

Night Spring
Feb 2, 2010, 01:07 PM
Already have a bluetooth keyboard, getting the case and screen protector. I'll first try to see if any of the bags I already own is a good fit for carrying the iPad, if none of them works out, I'll get a bag.

Legolover64
Feb 2, 2010, 01:31 PM
I will be very interested in purchasing:

- Apple iPad Case
- iPad Dock
- Spare iPad power cable
- iPad Keybaord Dock
- iPad VGA Connection kit

if they all seem to be good. Day one? Probably nix the spare cable and VGA kit, just to see how I like it. I know I'll be trying to switch to it for a lot of things.

yoppie
Feb 2, 2010, 02:05 PM
I plan to get:

iPad Camera Connection Kit
iPad Case
iPad Keyboard Dock
A nice bag (I like the Tom Bihn Ristretto)

cjthebest
Feb 2, 2010, 04:07 PM
Already have a bluetooth keyboard, getting the case and screen protector. I'll first try to see if any of the bags I already own is a good fit for carrying the iPad, if none of them works out, I'll get a bag.

Hmmmm.... I have the new iMac Bluetooth keyboard. So does it work perfectly with the iPad? Because if you watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pniO22NBhaY) they say that there are new buttons on the top of the keyboard that have a screen lock button, home button, etc.

eawmp1
Feb 2, 2010, 04:16 PM
Plain manila envelope (like the one that comes with the Air):

http://homepage.mac.com/sydamug/online/feb08/macbookair-envelope.jpg

Night Spring
Feb 2, 2010, 04:21 PM
Hmmmm.... I have the new iMac Bluetooth keyboard. So does it work perfectly with the iPad? Because if you watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pniO22NBhaY) they say that there are new buttons on the top of the keyboard that have a screen lock button, home button, etc.

While those extra buttons would certainly be useful, the bluetooth keyboard is much more portable, seeing how it has no dock to give it extra (and awkwardly shaped) height and width. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure how frequently I'd use the bluetooth keyboard; if I'm writing War and Peace, I'd do it on my iMac! I might end up leaving the bluetooth keyboard at home and just using the onscreen one. However, the option to use it is there since the keyboard came with my iMac, so I'll try both bluetooth and onscreen and see how it goes.

bobob
Feb 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
Just an OtterBox so the whole family can uninhibitedly pass it around the house.

MattZani
Feb 2, 2010, 04:52 PM
When i get one i may get the standard dock, it might work with the iPhone....

zedsdead
Feb 2, 2010, 04:57 PM
(1) Case definitely
(2) Dock - hopefully it can also fit the iPhone or the iPad+Case. I would hate to have to keep taking it in and out of the case, so then I would just use a cable.

I have no real need for the keyboard dock. I am not going to carry it around, and I am at home I can use my computers at that point should I need to type that much.

goobot
Feb 2, 2010, 05:00 PM
eh i want the dock+keyboard but its 80 bucks :(

Etnies419
Feb 2, 2010, 05:04 PM
Official Apple Case.
Dock, if I can put the iPad in it with the case on.

That's it for me, I already have the wireless bluetooth keyboard, which I don't see I'd be using that much anyway.

vini-vidi-vici
Feb 2, 2010, 05:14 PM
The iPad won't fit in any existing iPod dock (i.e. speakers, stereos, cars, etc), so I think a sync cord extension will be a popular accessory.

fishmoose
Feb 2, 2010, 05:18 PM
I'll get the case, maybe a keyboard after I've tried the virtual keyboard. Haven't decided if I want a BT keyboard or the keyboard dock.

MTI
Feb 2, 2010, 06:21 PM
Unless you absolutely need it right away, hasn't experience taught the lesson that within weeks or days of an Apple product launch, third party vendors will have what you need and more, with wider selection and generally a lower cost?

bossxii
Feb 2, 2010, 06:25 PM
Standard Dock (already have the BT keyboard I don't use on my iMac)

Never been a fan of cases, so it will stay naked :)

AceFernalld
Feb 2, 2010, 08:34 PM
64GB iPad WiFi
iPad Case (from Apple)
iPad Dock (from Apple)

I have a 2008 Apple Bluetooth Keyboard from my iMac purchase so I'll pair that up as the keyboard. I wish it all shipped tomorrow!

melman101
Feb 2, 2010, 08:41 PM
64GB iPad WiFi
iPad Case (from Apple)
iPad Dock (from Apple)

I have a 2008 Apple Bluetooth Keyboard from my iMac purchase so I'll pair that up as the keyboard. I wish it all shipped tomorrow!

Hell yeah, I'm jonesing. I definitely am getting the case. I wish there were videos of people using the case already. (32GB iPad Wifi Only most likely for me).

JoshJosh117
Feb 2, 2010, 09:09 PM
Probably the case and the camera connection kit. I don't know about a dock though...

davidlw
Feb 2, 2010, 09:59 PM
Full Blown everything iPad, 64 gigs 3G and wifi.
Case and car charger.

kdesign7
Feb 2, 2010, 11:04 PM
Plain manila envelope (like the one that comes with the Air):

http://homepage.mac.com/sydamug/online/feb08/macbookair-envelope.jpg

LOL!

nice!

okrelayer
Feb 2, 2010, 11:09 PM
the little book style case, and a charging dock. Although if this thing doesn't support kindle app, or stanza app I likely wont bite on buying it just yet

3N16MA
Feb 2, 2010, 11:19 PM
1. Regular dock
2. Apple case (depending on quality)

That's it for now (or day one), I already have a nice Crumpler bag with a notebook compartment. With some protection the iPad should be fine in there, no need for another bag.

AceFernalld
Feb 2, 2010, 11:58 PM
the little book style case, and a charging dock. Although if this thing doesn't support kindle app, or stanza app I likely wont bite on buying it just yet

The Kindle app for the iPhone? Of course that'll work! They'll both work because the iPad supports all the current App Store applications :D

Michael CM1
Feb 3, 2010, 02:15 AM
Screen cover. iPhone users know what I'm talking about.

Third-party dock that allows for use as a horizontal photo frame. All you need is a stand that secures the iPad and a power converter that goes from a standard AC plug to the 30-pin iPod connector. It probably will be a little cord that plugs in, so not a snug side-docking connection. But I want to use it as a digital photo frame when needed, so this would be my preference.

iPhone tether cable. C'mon, I can dream!

Bluetooth stereo headset and/or speakers. I probably won't be able to afford these, at least the speakers, but no need to clutter a very wireless device with any headphone or speaker cords. I don't plan on jammin' to the music from this with the built-in speaker. Unless Bose is making a speaker that small, it's not going to be much more than the iPhone speaker.

iSlate Fanboy
Feb 3, 2010, 07:17 AM
I'm going with dock + case.

TheBritishBloke
Feb 3, 2010, 07:26 AM
didn't they say the dock was $79? Seems a bit basic.

Tbh, I'd just put it in a neoprene sleeve and be done with it, I barely even use my 3G iPhone Dock

Night Spring
Feb 3, 2010, 08:54 AM
didn't they say the dock was $79? Seems a bit basic.

$79 is the price of the keyboard dock. The basic dock I believe was $29.

melman101
Feb 3, 2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to decide if I should get the dock or the iPad Camera Connectivity kit.

I actually might get the dock. I can use it as a digital frame for photos.

smetvid
Feb 3, 2010, 09:17 AM
So lets say I were to get a base Ipad and the keyboard dock, keyboard, camera kit, vga kit, SD kit. How much is all of this going to cost? To me it seems the price is starting to get pretty darn close to a Mac Book. I realize these are two totally different beasts but if somebody wants a cheap Mac computer thinking the Ipad will be a cheaper option then I think they may be a bit surprised.