PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

Jackal05
Aug 24, 2004, 11:11 PM
Ok I kinda messed up. I decided I wanted to get rid of all of the songs on my iPod and I just deleted them from its disk (from My Computer (I'm using Windows)). Now it thinks the songs are already there. :( Is there a way to reset it? Is it ok to just delete evrrything on the HD?
Please help, it's 12:11 AM and I need to get going.

jsw
Aug 24, 2004, 11:13 PM
On the Mac there's an iPod Software Updater that will reset your 'pod. Is there something similar on Windows? If so, that's the way to go. It'll in essence wipe the disk and restore it to original condition. Something must've come with the 'pods CD for Windows.

Jackal05
Aug 24, 2004, 11:15 PM
Ok I kinda messed up. I decided I wanted to get rid of all of the songs on my iPod and I just deleted them from its disk (from My Computer (I'm using Windows)). Now it thinks the songs are already there. :( Is there a way to reset it? Is it ok to just delete evrrything on the HD?
Please help, it's 12:11 AM and I need to get going.
Nevermind I worked something out, I guess I kinda freaked out.

jsw
Aug 24, 2004, 11:15 PM
Or reset the iPod by pressing the Play and Menu buttons for 10 seconds.

Jackal05
Aug 24, 2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the advice, next time I'll keep that in mind. As for the resetting don't you have to toggle the Hold button first?

jsw
Aug 24, 2004, 11:24 PM
I guess so! My 4G owner's manual says:Toggle the Hold switch (set it to Hold, then turn it off again). Then press the Menu and Select buttons simultaneously for about 6 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Jackal05
Aug 24, 2004, 11:26 PM
That doesn't get rid of the music does it? It just basically resets all settings and reindexes the database of the songs right?
Also if I listen to a few songs on my PC and change their ratings, when I plugin my iPod will it update that information?

jsw
Aug 24, 2004, 11:27 PM
Of course, elsewhere in the exact same manual, they say:To reset iPod: Connect iPod to a power outlet using the iPod Power Adapter. Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again). Press and hold the Select and Menu buttons for at least 6 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

That extra "connect to power outlet" step isn't mentioned earlier in the manual.

jsw
Aug 24, 2004, 11:30 PM
That doesn't get rid of the music does it? It just basically resets all settings and reindexes the database of the songs right?
Also if I listen to a few songs on my PC and change their ratings, when I plugin my iPod will it update that information?Correct on both counts. I guess you need to use the updater - whatever the Windows equivalent is - to empty the 'pod correctly.

Jackal05
Aug 24, 2004, 11:37 PM
One more thing, how can I get all of the songs updated? By that I mean when I change their info I want iPod to automatically modify them on its drive.