PDA

View Full Version : 15 inch PB 1.5 Ghz with new 20 Inch Cinema display

aussie_geek
Aug 25, 2004, 03:49 AM
I am thinking of throwing some cash at one of Apple's 20 inch cinema displays to complement my Powerbook. :cool: Has anyone done the same - 15 inch PB with the new 20 inch monitor?

I will be wanting to operate the PB with the lid closed option and with an Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I have read in the Apple discussions forums about some people having problems with the lid closed operation saying that it will only work with a USB mouse and keyboard connected to the PB. Is this correct? Or will it be ok with the blutooth setup. :confused:

If anyone has the combo running and they would like to post a pic of the setup it would be great. :)

Thanks,

aussie_geek

the future
Aug 25, 2004, 05:41 AM
I can't answer your more "technical" question as I neither use my PB with the lid closed nor have a bluetooth mouse/keyboard, but I can assure you that the new 20" display is absolutely beautiful and goes very well with the 15" AluBook. But see for yourself:

P.S. If anybody should want to know, the car on the 20" is a Maserati Quattroporte (which I can obviously only dream of owning :o )

aussie_geek
Aug 25, 2004, 05:56 AM
I can't answer your more "technical" question as I neither use my PB with the lid closed nor have a bluetooth mouse/keyboard, but I can assure you that the new 20" display is absolutely beautiful and goes very well with the 15" AluBook. But see for yourself:

P.S. If anybody should want to know, the car on the 20" is a Maserati Quattroporte (which I can obviously only dream of owning :o )

Good stuff!!! (the geek is wiping drool of his keyboard...) :p

That's done it - i'm gettin one!!

If anyone else has any insights regarding the bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo your comments would be great. :)

aussie_geek

ps - just went to maserati specs (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1691) - quite a nice beast! :cool:

the future
Aug 25, 2004, 06:41 AM
ps - just went to maserati specs (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1691) - quite a nice beast! :cool:

Yeah... [insert dreamy-eyed emoticon here] Pure class, and costs slightly less than 77 20" Cinema Displays! :eek:

wPod
Aug 25, 2004, 08:25 AM
yeah can you sign me up for one of those monitors as well? i think it would complement my 12" PB just as well as it does the 15" . . . plus i would actually have room on my desk in my new apt. . . my 19" CRT is enormous!!!!

CmdrLaForge
Aug 25, 2004, 09:01 AM

Ohh I love your setup, wish I had enough money to get the same. Not to talk about the Maserati.

the future
Aug 25, 2004, 09:14 AM
Ohh I love your setup, wish I had enough money to get the same. Not to talk about the Maserati.

Yeah, I'm in aluminum heaven... I had the old 20" Cinema Display before and it looked ok alongside the AluBook, but not nearly as nice as the new one. (I sold the old one to a friend who waited forever for new Apple displays but now likes the old ones better - people are strange...)

aussie_geek
Aug 25, 2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I'm in aluminum heaven... I had the old 20" Cinema Display before and it looked ok alongside the AluBook, but not nearly as nice as the new one. (I sold the old one to a friend who waited forever for new Apple displays but now likes the old ones better - people are strange...)

So what do you do with the 20 inch's extra desktop space? (Other than display the Masaerati... - i assume you have a large .jpg that you have dragged over there to use the space).

I was thinking of getting Elgato eye Tv 200 so I can watch TV on the 20 inch or play PS2 on it and use the PB screen for web surfing. Or, when I have lots of windows / apps open I would use the flat panel to increase my desktop workspace... ;)

aussie_geek

the future
Sep 1, 2004, 03:54 PM
I use the 20" as an extended desktop I often need to work with several word and excel documents side by side. When I only surf the web or stuff like that, I actually turn the 20" off most of the time. I have been thinking about getting an EyeTV, actually, that would be very neat (and the 20" would stay on much more :)). For me, this setup is the ultimate solution to be mobile, have a huge desktop workspace at home and an almost completely silent, yet quite powerful computer. It's just great!

P.S. If you want to go over the top, with a VTBook PC-Card (http://www.villagetronic.com/e_pr_vtbook.html) you could even connect another Cinema Display to a PowerBook! :eek: