PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for iPad: Any good carrying case?

powerbooks
Feb 4, 2010, 05:25 PM
Just bought the E-sling medium (30% off with FS):

http://www.caselogic.com/e_sling_medium/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=125395

Hope it will fit well (feels a little bigger, but the small version may be too tight).:)

Only complain: there is no inner zipper for hidden pocket (the small version does).

zemzabob
Feb 4, 2010, 05:35 PM
Nice I like it.

lordhamster
Feb 4, 2010, 08:34 PM
I currently use this "Maxpedition Jumbo" to transport my Asus EEE 10 inch. I think it will work perfectly with the iPad. The wife gives me crap about it calling it my Man-Purse. :)
http://the-gadgeteer.com/asset_cache/m/ma/maxpedition-jumbo-versapack2.jpg

I reviewed the bag here: http://tacticalgearhead.com/?p=575 in case you are interested.

WytRaven
Feb 4, 2010, 08:51 PM
I've got a Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad arriving Monday. Will post pictures when it's here.

lordhamster
Feb 4, 2010, 09:16 PM
I've got a Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad arriving Monday. Will post pictures when it's here.

I almost bought that exact model for my Asus before I went for the Maxpedition. I love how they add padding in it. Tom Bihn's stuff is all top Notch.

http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/images/ristretton2.jpg
http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/images/nristrettointerior.jpg

Clix Pix
Feb 4, 2010, 09:23 PM
Since my MBA fits nicely into my Jack Spade messenger bag, I know that the iPad will, too. I also have other bags which will work nicely for the iPad so am not figuring on buying a special bag for it the way I have for my various MBPs and the MBA.....

Nebrie
Feb 4, 2010, 10:26 PM
Waterfield's personal Muzetto is just barely bigger than the iPad. A good fit if you want the Apple case. I got one for my hackintosh and the quality is up there with $600 burberry bags.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.htm

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/images/muzetto_personal_main_md.jpg

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/images/muzetto_personal_inside_md.jpg

Galley
Feb 4, 2010, 10:33 PM
I've already got a VertiGo from WaterField, so I'm waiting for them to make a sleeve. :)

Chupa Chupa
Feb 4, 2010, 10:50 PM
These things look like fanny packs on steroids. Dorky especial.

Seriously, put in in a sleeve and drop in your back pack or briefcase. Anyone who gets a special sling for their iPad deserves all the mocking passersby can muster.

Clix Pix
Feb 4, 2010, 10:54 PM
Oh, dear, I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this thread. Now I've seen that gorgeous Waterfield Muzetto..... Uh-oh.....

MikhailT
Feb 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hey guys, check this thread out.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=860208

I added and credited you guys for your information.

WytRaven
Feb 4, 2010, 11:08 PM
Anyone who gets a special sling for their iPad deserves all the mocking passersby can muster.

...and we will turn and mock you as you go by for not having the ability to see just how useful these little messenger bags/slings can be as you try to manhandle you brief case or back mounted bag on the go to get out your pad.

I can get out my ST5112 from my current Ristretto with one hand while walking down the street. Try doing that with a brief case. With the smaller Ristretto plus the much lighter iPad it won't even require thought.

Chupa Chupa
Feb 4, 2010, 11:25 PM
...and we will turn and mock you as you go by for not having the ability to see just how useful these little messenger bags/slings can be as you try to manhandle you brief case or back mounted bag on the go to get out your pad.

I can get out my ST5112 from my current Ristretto with one hand while walking down the street. Try doing that with a brief case. With the smaller Ristretto plus the much lighter iPad it won't even require thought.

Thing is, I don't need to be tethered to an electronic device every waking moment. When I'm walking down the street I usually just look ahead, look around, observe life.

Seriously, my mom gave me a fanny pack on my first trip abroad and told me almost the same thing about it that you say about your iPad mini-sling. (I told her thanks, but no thanks). I stand by my earlier comment -- they are dorky. Sorry if that offends you, but its the truth.

WytRaven
Feb 4, 2010, 11:29 PM
they are dorky. Sorry if that offends you, but its the truth.

It's not the truth, it's your opinion.

MikhailT
Feb 4, 2010, 11:34 PM

Seriously, put in in a sleeve and drop in your back pack or briefcase. Anyone who gets a special sling for their iPad deserves all the mocking passersby can muster.

Jack Bauer wants to talk to you.

mac jones
Feb 4, 2010, 11:41 PM
Those bags are sooo gay.

You would be better off with a Scotty vest. At least you wont get hit-on in the men's room

(not that there's anything wrong with being gay ;) )

qtx43
Feb 5, 2010, 12:22 AM
Jack Bauer wants to talk to you.You do realize that Jack Bauer isn't real, don't you? He's some Hollywood writer's idea of what a real man is: ludicrously macho. Except they're so used to being around girly-men that they forgot actual real life men don't carry purses.

Just kidding! Go ahead an carry your purse if you want, real men don't care what other people think.

RMXO
Feb 5, 2010, 12:25 AM
Jack Bauer wants to talk to you.

Chuck Norris probably agree's with you! ;)

zemzabob
Feb 5, 2010, 12:28 AM
I currently use this "Maxpedition Jumbo" to transport my Asus EEE 10 inch. I think it will work perfectly with the iPad. The wife gives me crap about it calling it my Man-Purse. :)

I reviewed the bag here: http://tacticalgearhead.com/?p=575 in case you are interested.

Oh snap I have to have that! My Glock 22 and my ipad in one bag!

MecPro
Feb 5, 2010, 02:15 AM
http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/images/prod_sleevecase_detail_2a_lg.jpg

wackymacky
Feb 5, 2010, 04:03 AM
finally, a use for the "man-bag" my wife bought me.

talkingfuture
Feb 5, 2010, 04:10 AM
I quite like the look of the one that Apple showed because it lets you prop the iPad up. Bet it won't be cheap though.

greygray
Feb 5, 2010, 04:53 AM
Crumpler is the best that I'll use. I have a Crumpler pouch for my MBP and 3GS.

melman101
Feb 5, 2010, 06:15 AM
I quite like the look of the one that Apple showed because it lets you prop the iPad up. Bet it won't be cheap though.

You mean the Apple iPad Case? Surprisingly, it's only $39 bucks.

I will be getting that, and probably carrying the iPad in my InCase bag for my 13" MBP.

RichardI
Feb 5, 2010, 06:22 AM

:D:D:rolleyes:

maflynn
Feb 5, 2010, 06:39 AM
Ok, so the majority of those bags do like man-purses. I'm not about to wear a skirt and walk around in public with a man-purse.

I'll wait a little longer to see how the market fleshes out but I'm not about to trade in my masculinity for an apple product :p

4DThinker
Feb 5, 2010, 07:32 AM
Some (OK several) company will make every flavor of case for the iPad. There will be slip-covers with stands built-in. There will be briefcases with an iPad pocket in them. We'll see special purses, backpacks, jackets, and painter's pants with iPad pockets.

The hard question won't be "Where to buy an iPad case?", but rather how you want to look carrying your iPad. It'll be a fashion statement because it's size is unavoidable.

Me? Not getting one. If I had one I'd go naked. Let it get a little scratched and dented. Maybe paint it a little then sand it off to give the case a patina. Maybe weld a Stanley handle to it.
http://www.stanleyhardware.com/catalog_images/mid_res/949180_mid_res.jpg

powerbooks
Feb 5, 2010, 07:41 AM
I have two sleeves for my MBA, and I can tell you that any MBA case will not be the best fit for iPad. They are just simply too long for the Pad. Even the tightest Incase Neoprene Sleeve is too big for that.:)

Since my MBA fits nicely into my Jack Spade messenger bag, I know that the iPad will, too. I also have other bags which will work nicely for the iPad so am not figuring on buying a special bag for it the way I have for my various MBPs and the MBA.....

speed12
Feb 5, 2010, 08:33 AM
Lacie have just launched their Coat and ForMoa ranges which look nice. The 10.2" 'Netbook' model is the one that is supposed to be a very good fit for the iPad. Simple sleeve, but a nice addition of a small pocket in lid 'flap'. Good price as well.

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/range.htm?id=10072

anthonymoody
Feb 5, 2010, 08:54 AM
The thing about bags (and trunks of cars) is that the bigger they are the more stuff you put into them, no matter how hard you try to bring only "what you really need."

I carry my 15" MBP in a Timbuk2 and messenger and a Crumpler messenger, alternating for different purposes (one is packed with travel stuff, the other with around town stuff). Both are HEAVY when fully loaded. 5.5 pounds for the laptop itself, plus several more ounces for the AC adapter. Say 2+ pounds for the bag and associated other crap and I'm hauling 8-9 pounds around on my shoulder all day.

I can't wait to retire my MBP for good and slim waaaay down.

I'm focused on the Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad because it's just big enough for the iPad itself, and very minor amount of other stuff. All in, bag included, it should be under 3 pounds total. It may seem like "not that big a difference from 8 or 9 pounds, but practically speaking it definitely is.

The tradeoff is that in terms of scale it screams man purse, whether oriented vertically or horizontally. But that's something I'm willing to accept.

VenusianSky
Feb 5, 2010, 09:01 AM
HP actually has decent bags. I have one of these.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PJZB0dohL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

yoppie
Feb 5, 2010, 09:03 AM
I know they're being called "man bags" but I really like the Ristretto and Muzetto bags. I'm a girl and I would love to tote any one of the two.

lordhamster
Feb 5, 2010, 09:40 AM
The Muzetto is a little too "European" for my tastes. I really like the Tom Bihn even though the design is similar.

I really don't know how someone can reject Messenger and Sling bags saying they aren't cool, then in the same breath say they want a backpack.

1 Strap = uncool
2 Straps = cool?

Clix Pix
Feb 5, 2010, 10:59 AM
I have two sleeves for my MBA, and I can tell you that any MBA case will not be the best fit for iPad. They are just simply too long for the Pad. Even the tightest Incase Neoprene Sleeve is too big for that.:)

I agree, the sleeves I use with my MBA wouldn't work for the iPad. I'm probably going to buy the case Apple will be selling, or a special neoprene sleeve when someone like CaseLogic comes out with it, but the laptop bags that I've got for a 13" or 15" work just fine for carrying my MBA and eventually will do the same for the iPad. Actually, I hope someone does come out with a good simple neoprene sleeve, as that offers much more versatility: protection for the iPad in ANY tote or bag in which one wants to transport it!

Those Tom Bihn bags and the elegant Ristretto are really, really, nice and I might be tempted...... I also like the looks and colors of that HP bag above.

roland.g
Feb 5, 2010, 11:09 AM
One of the best solutions may be the Apple case that doubles as a stand that you can then put in a larger bag. I think the stand feature will be quite crucial and I can see that throwing that case in a messenger bag or backpack with a few other things will be a really good way to go.

Clix Pix
Feb 5, 2010, 11:11 AM
Good point about the stand being a critical feature, especially if one is taking the iPad on a trip or in-and-out of various situations where at times it would necessary to stand it up. I really like that Apple case -- clearly a lot of thought went into its design.

roland.g
Feb 5, 2010, 11:31 AM
Good point about the stand being a critical feature, especially if one is taking the iPad on a trip or in-and-out of various situations where at times it would necessary to stand it up. I really like that Apple case -- clearly a lot of thought went into its design.

By only curiosity about it is that it appears great for landscape typing mode and landscape video mode, but will the short side fold flat against the back when you want to hold it like a pad and not a wedge, especially to do something in portrait or do you have to take it out in those circumstances.

jazz1
Feb 5, 2010, 06:38 PM
I really want something that is going to keep the display from taking an in bag hit that would break the glass. Unlike laptops it would seem to me that the display needs some armor during transport.

blancoBronco
Feb 5, 2010, 07:12 PM
I'm just gonna throw it in my backpack

Clix Pix
Feb 5, 2010, 08:00 PM
The Patagonia Single Shot bag looks as though it could be really just the ticket for carrying an iPad....it is 11" x 8.5" x 3.5" and so there's room for a couple other items, too.

http://www.ebags.com/patagonia/single_shot/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=137756

WytRaven
Feb 5, 2010, 08:20 PM
By only curiosity about it is that it appears great for landscape typing mode and landscape video mode, but will the short side fold flat against the back when you want to hold it like a pad and not a wedge, especially to do something in portrait or do you have to take it out in those circumstances.

Yes.

Also on the Ristretto for iPad. Because it is not only for iPad but designed for netbook size devices in general I believe that there is enough "free" space in the tablet pocket to accommodate the iPad+Apple's case.

UltiMac
Feb 6, 2010, 03:24 AM
I'm thinking a 10" netbook sleeve would work pretty decent. I could be wrong though :cool:

DaveSW
Feb 7, 2010, 12:50 AM
Lacie have just launched their Coat and ForMoa ranges which look nice. The 10.2" 'Netbook' model is the one that is supposed to be a very good fit for the iPad. Simple sleeve, but a nice addition of a small pocket in lid 'flap'. Good price as well.

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/range.htm?id=10072

wow the lacie looks nice.

chibamac
Feb 7, 2010, 10:00 PM

Hey Lordhamster,

This case does look awesome but I checked the specs of the main compartment @ maxpedition.com and it says the dimensions are 9 x 8 x 3 where as the ipad's dimensions are- 9.56 inches by 7.47 inches by 0.5 inch. I'm not sure the iPad will fit perfectly, maybe tilted?? what do you think?

WytRaven
Feb 9, 2010, 07:32 AM
Hi all,

As promised here is a side by side comparison between the Original Ristretto and the new iPad/Netbook Ristretto from Tom Bihn.

There is one shot showing the contents of the old Ristretto and also a shot showing all but the ST5112 accessories (porta-stand and folded keyboard) repacked into the new one.

It's hard to explain but there has been a rethink of the design which means that the new Ristretto is actually able to accommodate more in the way of non-flat items. It can expand forward much more than the previous model. This could spell good news for those that intend on carrying a dock around with them. To illustrate the point it should be obvious from the photos that, despite the smaller size, my sandwich container actually fits better in the new model.

Overall impression? Very impressed. Same outstanding quality with some intelligent design tweaks. Tom has done a great job.

I originally ordered the Black and Steel version but was contacted quickly and asked if I would mind a different colour scheme as they had already sold out and would take some time to make more. I chose the Cocoa and Olive version instead which I almost chose initially. Tom Bihn threw in an extra large pencil case attachment because I was "so understanding". :) (it can be seen in the top down packed view sitting across the top of the centre pocket)

Anyway I hope this helps people make an informed choice when shopping for an iPad transporter :D

zemzabob
Feb 9, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hey Lordhamster,

This case does look awesome but I checked the specs of the main compartment @ maxpedition.com and it says the dimensions are 9 x 8 x 3 where as the ipad's dimensions are- 9.56 inches by 7.47 inches by 0.5 inch. I'm not sure the iPad will fit perfectly, maybe tilted?? what do you think?

I seen that to, I really want one of these bags if it fits the ipad, he said he is using it for a ten inch netbook. Hey Lordhamster do you have any pics of this bag with the netbook in it for reference?

epoche
Feb 21, 2010, 08:35 PM
Checked dimensions of his net book he carries= 10.5 x 7.5 x 1.1 inches

Would imagine that iPad would fit, but good to hear from Lordhamster re iPad fit.

Hey Lordhamster,

SteveSparks
Feb 21, 2010, 08:41 PM
I am going to wait and get one of th 500 new cases that will obviously come out when the ipad ships

jazz1
Feb 21, 2010, 08:42 PM
The pics of the Ristretto are really helpful. I want one of these. Are you concerned at all about the gaps on either side of the flap. Will they disappear when the bag has an iPad inserted?

Hi all,

As promised here is a side by side comparison between the Original Ristretto and the new iPad/Netbook Ristretto from Tom Bihn.

snip
:D

WytRaven
Feb 22, 2010, 01:13 AM
The pics of the Ristretto are really helpful. I want one of these. Are you concerned at all about the gaps on either side of the flap. Will they disappear when the bag has an iPad inserted?

Are you referring to issues with weather or something like that? The main bag flap covers all quite nicely. As for the iPad compartment's padded flap...well it sort of tucks down behind it.

SchneiderMan
Feb 22, 2010, 03:14 AM
Waterfield and Proporta.

mrklaw
Feb 22, 2010, 03:26 AM
at home I'll probably let it roam naked.

On the go, I'll probably switch from my backpack to a messenger bag, but a laptop sized one. Then I can use it for work with their laptop, and for leisure just travel lighter.

Not a fan of the smaller sized 'mandbags' but I like the larger messenger bags. I tend to just carry my backpack over one shoulder anyway

gt1948
Feb 22, 2010, 07:57 AM
HP actually has decent bags. I have one of these.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PJZB0dohL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

wouldn't be caught with that on a dare!

gt1948
Feb 22, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hi all,

There is one shot showing the contents of the old Ristretto and also a shot showing all but the ST5112 accessories (porta-stand and folded keyboard) repacked into the new one.

It's hard to explain but there has been a rethink of the design which means that the new Ristretto is actually able to accommodate more in the way of non-flat items. It can expand forward much more than the previous model. This could spell good news for those that intend on carrying a dock around with them. To illustrate the point it should be obvious from the photos that, despite the smaller size, my sandwich container actually fits better in the new model.

Overall impression? Very impressed. Same outstanding quality with some intelligent design tweaks. Tom has done a great job.

I originally ordered the Black and Steel version but was contacted quickly and asked if I would mind a different colour scheme as they had already sold out and would take some time to make more. I chose the Cocoa and Olive version instead which I almost chose initially. Tom Bihn threw in an extra large pencil case attachment because I was "so understanding". :) (it can be seen in the top down packed view sitting across the top of the centre pocket)

Anyway I hope this helps people make an informed choice when shopping for an iPad transporter :D

Does he Have Titty Pink? ROFLAO

WytRaven
Feb 22, 2010, 08:49 AM
Does he Have Titty Pink? ROFLAO

Plum and Wasabi is as close as you'll get to titty pink I'm afraid...:rolleyes:

darngooddesign
Feb 22, 2010, 09:04 AM

I bet she wouldn't if you were packing heat like the guy in that photo.

anthonymoody
Feb 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
Hi all,

Thanks so much for doing thisWytRaven. This is the bag I was leaning toward strongly, and now I'm 100% sold.

Cheers.

jazz1
Feb 22, 2010, 09:23 AM
Are you referring to issues with weather or something like that? The main bag flap covers all quite nicely. As for the iPad compartment's padded flap...well it sort of tucks down behind it.

Yes, rain and/or wet snow are what I was getting at.

Vesuvio Cat
Feb 22, 2010, 09:35 AM
I've already built a crib for it, now I'm just trying to decide what color to paint the room.

anthonymoody
Feb 22, 2010, 09:37 AM
I've already built a crib for it, now I'm just trying to decide what color to paint the room.

:D

Hey are you going to find out the sex in advance?

Apple Expert
Feb 22, 2010, 10:24 AM
I just want a simple sleeve or the Apple iPad Case. I don't want nothing too fancy. I hope Incase puts out a simple sleeve like the MacBook line they offer.

WytRaven
Feb 22, 2010, 01:34 PM
Yes, rain and/or wet snow are what I was getting at.

Ok well then let's be honest here. The Ristretto, iPad version or otherwise, is not meant for use in heavy weather. That is not to say that it is not weather retardant at all. I've been caught in the rain a couple of times with my old one without incident but when it comes down to it these bags are the equivalent of a water resistant watch vs a water proof watch...if you follow me...

I can't say that I have seen any of these kinds of bags that are really weather proof as such, Tom Bhin or any other brand. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just I can't say I have seen any floating around.

jazz1
Feb 22, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ok well then let's be honest here. The Ristretto, iPad version or otherwise, is not meant for use in heavy weather. That is not to say that it is not weather retardant at all. I've been caught in the rain a couple of times with my old one without incident but when it comes down to it these bags are the equivalent of a water resistant watch vs a water proof watch...if you follow me...

I can't say that I have seen any of these kinds of bags that are really weather proof as such, Tom Bhin or any other brand. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just I can't say I have seen any floating around.

I wasn't looking for Pelican Case kind of waterproofing. Though I just got a survey from them showing mock-ups for netbooks. Some camera bags have "raincoats" you can slip on them (ThinkTank for example).

I'm not into umbrellas. So I like bags that can take an occasional downpour. Maybe I should be looking more for a small messenger bag I guess.

anthonymoody
Feb 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
I wasn't looking for Pelican Case kind of waterproofing. Though I just got a survey from them showing mock-ups for netbooks. Some camera bags have "raincoats" you can slip on them (ThinkTank for example).

I'm not into umbrellas. So I like bags that can take an occasional downpour. Maybe I should be looking more for a small messenger bag I guess.

You could also spray the **** out of a bag with ScotchGuard or the like...

jazz1
Feb 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
You could also spray the **** out of a bag with ScotchGuard or the like...

I'm thinking Chrome or Timbuk2 might have something that would work already unless they are joining the rush to create new bags. I know that some bags at Timbuk2 can be had with waterproof materials. I wish I lived where I can take my yet to be purchased iPad to a shop that had these in stock. I really like to try bags out in person.

anthonymoody
Feb 22, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm thinking Chrome or Timbuk2 might have something that would work already unless they are joining the rush to create new bags. I know that some bags at Timbuk2 can be had with waterproof materials. I wish I lived where I can take my yet to be purchased iPad to a shop that had these in stock. I really like to try bags out in person.

I hear you - I'm the same way. Have a Crumpler shop I can go to. My beef with shops though is that almost invariably they won't have the exact color/option combo you actually want. But definitely useful to see/touch/feel before buying in any case.

SchneiderMan
Feb 23, 2010, 02:34 PM
Colcasac will have iPad cases, maybe you will like the style. link in my sig :)

Webnasty
Feb 24, 2010, 08:07 AM
Here is my murse that the iPad will fit in perfectly. I like it because it is subdued, and doesn't scream European carry all.

http://www.tumi.com/alpha/small-flap-body-bag/

turtlebud
Mar 6, 2010, 02:53 AM
have a couple of crumpler bags and really like them, so I'm going to give the small skivvy a shot. Made for 12" laptops, so it'll be a tad big for the ipad, but I like the look and it looks pretty functional.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/Lite/English/Products/Skivvy-Small---SK0111A.html?image=4

for a little extra protection, I'm considering getting a sfbags suede jacket to go along with it

http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/suedejacket-ipad.php

quickroute
Mar 30, 2010, 02:13 AM
Hi all,

nice review. just one question, if you are able to help me out here. are you able to 'squeeze' in a mbp 13 inch into the ristretto for ipad? thanks!

T4R06
Mar 30, 2010, 05:46 AM
Here is my murse that the iPad will fit in perfectly. I like it because it is subdued, and doesn't scream European carry all.

http://www.tumi.com/alpha/small-flap-body-bag/

I saw this one at nordstrom and it looks awesome. But the price is too high. $150! There is also a different style that can fit the ipad and lowest price is $85 similar to alpha.

email68
Apr 22, 2010, 08:34 PM
nice review. just one question, if you are able to help me out here. are you able to 'squeeze' in a mbp 13 inch into the ristretto for ipad? thanks!

I'd like to know this as well. Did you ever find out?