Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wigga69uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Yorkshire, England
My company are looking to get an Xserve G5 to serve macs and windows.
I've been trying to talk my boss into replacing our windows server with a Xserve for ages. He finally came round to the idea, but then he heard all our XP PC's will need some extra software (costing £150 per PC) installing so they can see xserve.

Is this true? I think it's bull****!

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
I think all the XP peecees need is the smb(Samba) protocol installed. But what i know is dated... i wouldn't be surprized if the new 10.3 server has found a work around since.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
As far as I know, it's simply a matter of having everything configured correctly, no additional software is necessary. SMB is part of Windows server strategy and Samba fills that spot on Mac OS X and the XServe (G5 or otherwise). If those machines can get from a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 Server, they should have little problem getting from Mac OS X.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Chris1127 said:
Converted is correct. The PCs only need Samba installed. Windows Samba clients can be downloaded (for free) from Microsoft's website.<snip>

Downloaded? It comes installed as "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks".

To clarify Samba is the open source application that allows other machines to use the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol to connect to Windows machines, known as NetBIOS.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Samba is something that the Mac uses to share files that Windows will be able to access. The Windows clients will need nothing extra installed on to them.

Chris1127

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2003
Jackson, MS
tomf87 said:
Downloaded? It comes installed as "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks".

To clarify Samba is the open source application that allows other machines to use the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol to connect to Windows machines, known as NetBIOS.

Sorry. You folks are right. Please excuse the brain fart. :eek:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
At work we have a couple of Mac OS X Servers (Xserves and "other" G4s).
Samba (Windows Services) work very well on Panther Server.

No need for those legacy products like "Copstalk" on a PC to make the PC able to connect to an AFP server using AppleTalk...

Those were the days: adjusting Windows so it can connect to your Apple-only network!! :D (things are a bit different now... ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.