PDA

View Full Version : How is there no solid Google Talk app out there?

OrangeCuse44
Feb 5, 2010, 04:03 PM
This amazes me every time I search in the App store for a Google Talk program. Forget Beejive, $10 bucks for a mix bag of results (according to many reviews) is not for me. Just a simple Gtalk app with push is all I'm looking for and the few apps available seem to all have 3 or less star reviews. Am I missing something here?

GoCubsGo
Feb 5, 2010, 04:05 PM
In case you live under a rock (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=754749) they just won't allow it right now. Apple sucks like that.

TuffLuffJimmy
Feb 5, 2010, 04:13 PM
Apparently Jessica doesn't know what she's talking about. Google Voice and Google Talk are two completely different things.

She must live under a rock.

anjinha
Feb 5, 2010, 04:32 PM
Have you tried eBuddy?

OrangeCuse44
Feb 5, 2010, 04:49 PM
In case you live under a rock (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=754749) they just won't allow it right now. Apple sucks like that.

As nice as usual, thank you.

Have you tried eBuddy?

I have not, looks interesting. I wonder why that has never showed up when I did a search. Do you use it?

anjinha
Feb 5, 2010, 04:53 PM
As nice as usual, thank you.

I have not, looks interesting. I wonder why that has never showed up when I did a search. Do you use it?

I don't, but it has good reviews. Also I searched for GTalk instead of Google Talk.

sjinsjca
Feb 5, 2010, 05:29 PM
Well, you could jailbreak. Google's Voice app is on Cydia and works well.

Or you could point your iPhone's browser to http://www.google.com/talk and enjoy much of the same functionality through the wonders of HTML5. Press and hold the + button to make an app-ish icon out of it.

BTW, it's not clear if it's Apple itself or objections from AT&T that's blocking it from the App Store. It also had the misfortune of going through the review process just as Google's back-stabs against Apple were emerging into focus, with the coming of Android, Chrome, ChromeOS, etc., and the ejection of snake-in-the-grass Eric Schmidt from Apple's board.

rKunda
Feb 5, 2010, 05:44 PM
I think Beejive works really well, especially with Google Talk. The only problems I've had have been with facebook chat (which, I believe was a problem with facebook for a time).

GoCubsGo
Feb 5, 2010, 05:50 PM
Apparently Jessica doesn't know what she's talking about. Google Voice and Google Talk are two completely different things.

She must live under a rock.

Likely you are right, link to the app will help. Regardless, I don't think either exist. Nice rock btw. ;)

OrangeCuse44
Feb 5, 2010, 05:57 PM
Likely you are right, link to the app will help. Regardless, I don't think either exist. Nice rock btw. ;)

He is right. Google talk and voice are completely different. Do you have the ability to ever admit a mistake or is it just the being completely nasty to people you will never meet that you enjoy so much?

IronLogik
Feb 5, 2010, 06:09 PM
They're both right. Google Talk is basically Jabber. It's Google's instant messaging service.

Google Voice is their telephone forwarding/voicemail/sms service.

The next release of Trillian for iPhone will be rockin. You may wanna look into it. It's in beta now and I have a copy due to an odd push messaging bug they wanted to test and track down. so I've been trying it out. Really well done.

gloss
Feb 5, 2010, 06:32 PM
Beejive works like a charm for me.