Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwats

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
:eek: Okay guys it's been awhile and i'm back with another review. This is going to be the Otterbox Impact series case. I'd like to say thanks so much For otterbox for getting this out for me.

I'm a short and sweet to the point guy so let me get right into it:cool:

This is an amazing case and one of my favorites above all of the other cases that I own. This case on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best and 1 being the worst I would give this case a 9/10.

Positives: The positives of this case basically are:

- The design of the case with that X brace type of thing make it feel amazing in the hand.
-Very simple design that gives you alot of scratch and drop protection.
-Screen protector included which is amazing
-Very slim design not bulky at all compared to other cases i've used
-MAIN THING: IT DOES ITS JOB WELL WHICH IS TO PROTECT THE PHONE.

Negatives:
-This case does collect some lint. To me this isn't an issue just wipe your phone down once a day or even once a week and it'll be fine.
-There is no protector that covers your apple logo.
-Doesn't go in and out of the pocket smoothly but i mean it is silicone.

Thats the only negative thing i have to say about this case It's amazing and really does exactly what you need it to do. Otterbox has a winner here.

Everyone can find this case at http://www.Otterbox.com, go get yourselves one.:D

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Nice review, Kwats! I agree with everything you said.

One solution to protecting the Apple logo on the back of the phone that I used (I learned if from other members, so no taking credit for me) is to take a clear screen protector, cut it down so it covers the logo, and just stick it on the back of the phone. It works great and won't come off accidentally.

I liked the Impact case so much that I decided to try the Otterbox Commuter case (not the Commuter TL). Let me tell you what...it's the best case I've had, hands down. It doesn't have quite as much corner protection as the Impact, but with the hard shell over the silicone wrap, it really feels like it would save the phone in a fall. I like that it covers the bezel, but doesn't obstruct the "space" bar when texting in landscape (and I do a LOT of texting in landscape).

I've tried probably 10 different cases at this point and this is the one I like the best. Everyone has a different level of expectations when it comes to protection vs. function, but this case is the best I've found to suit my needs.

I can't recommend Otterbox cases more at this point!

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I've been a fan of Otterbox cases for a while. After all the cases I've bought (which is quite a few) I have been sticking with my regular Commuter.

I have the Impact and the Defender as well as the regular Commuter.
I have to admit that I don't care for the Impact series as much as I don't really like strictly silicone cases but it is my case of choice for a silicone case.
I love the Defender but it's a bit large for my every day use. The only case of theirs I don't have is the Commuter TL.

Overall I am real happy with the Commuter, and Otterbox's service is top notch.
I actually had the silicone part on my Commuter tear at the seam (probably my own fault for taking it off a LOT to keep trying out different cases) they sent me a new case no questions asked.

Kwats

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Hey everyone I would love to post pictures but the files are too big i'M trying to compressing them so I can throw them up

Kwats

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I've been a fan of Otterbox cases for a while. After all the cases I've bought (which is quite a few) I have been sticking with my regular Commuter.

I have the Impact and the Defender as well as the regular Commuter.
I have to admit that I don't care for the Impact series as much as I don't really like strictly silicone cases but it is my case of choice for a silicone case.
I love the Defender but it's a bit large for my every day use. The only case of theirs I don't have is the Commuter TL.

Overall I am real happy with the Commuter, and Otterbox's service is top notch.
I actually had the silicone part on my Commuter tear at the seam (probably my own fault for taking it off a LOT to keep trying out different cases) they sent me a new case no questions asked.

I can recommend the commuter TL without a doubt, I owned their whole line, gaveaway some for birthdays and such but the TL has been my favorite.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
What is the difference between commuter and commuter TL?

How think are these commuter cases....do they add bulk?

SuperKat

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
In A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Commuter

I have been using the Commuter for about two weeks now and I love it. It offers more side protection than the TL, and the TL has a protection bit over the logo cut out.

Kwats

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
What is the difference between commuter and commuter TL?

How think are these commuter cases....do they add bulk?

The TL basically is the commuter but it doesnt have hard plastic on the sides its silicone and it covers the apple logo by hard plastic and it its as rough feeling.

alamperti

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Italy
nice review, thanks :) i really like those Otterbox products, unfortunately they aren't available in Italian shops. Think will buy a Commuter case directly from the United States or Amazon UK.

Cheers

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
So I ordered the defender commuter based upon this thread from ebay. Here is my take:

The rubber wrap portion of the case does not fit tightly, and the piece at the bottom of the case where the dock is located is thin and flimsy. When I snapped on the hard plastic piece I had trouble making it seat well around the dock.

I left my crystal screen cover on and the case is forcing bubbles along the lower edge. This is due to the pressure from the plastic piece and small piece of rubber it meets with at this location.

When I clean the display the rubber does give/come up at locations where this is no plastic clip....so dust and dirt is going to get under at these locations.

Once together the case is rather solild and the size it really quite nice.

The rubber portion attracts every manner of dust and lint and so it was a poor design choice.

The rubber portion also had some sort of resin/dust substance on it which was hard to remove from the back of the phone. Even with Microfiber.

Finally exposing the Apple logo and not providing a piece of clear protection for it is another design slip up.

Kwats

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
So I ordered the defender commuter based upon this thread from ebay. Here is my take:

The rubber wrap portion of the case does not fit tightly, and the piece at the bottom of the case where the dock is located is thin and flimsy. When I snapped on the hard plastic piece I had trouble making it seat well around the dock.

I left my crystal screen cover on and the case is forcing bubbles along the lower edge. This is due to the pressure from the plastic piece and small piece of rubber it meets with at this location.

When I clean the display the rubber does give/come up at locations where this is no plastic clip....so dust and dirt is going to get under at these locations.

Once together the case is rather solild and the size it really quite nice.

The rubber portion attracts every manner of dust and lint and so it was a poor design choice.

The rubber portion also had some sort of resin/dust substance on it which was hard to remove from the back of the phone. Even with Microfiber.

Finally exposing the Apple logo and not providing a piece of clear protection for it is another design slip up.

I never said they weren't lint magnets and thet all fitted properly for me so i didnt have an issue with that or lint but i love the case but i like the TL better.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
But these things (expecially lint) are peeves for many who use the thread to wade through the junk to find gems.

My comments balance out the review.

And to be fair, I continue to use the commuter for now...I am just shocked that companies continue to make stupid design decisions.

OfficeLinebacke

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
Maryland
The lint thing is a bit of a concern but it's a solid case. Otterbox makes great cases. They're not for everybody but they do know how to protect a smartphone from damage.

OfficeLinebacke

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
Maryland
Do they make Otterboxes for the iPhone 4 yet to prevent cracks in the glass on the iPhone 4? The back of my iPhone 4 has glass, too, so now we're getting it from BOTH sides...you can crack the front OR the back of an iPhone 4!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.