PDA

View Full Version : MacWorld Boston to Return?

arn
Jul 31, 2002, 05:46 PM
The NY Post (http://www.nypost.com/technology/53693.htm) suggests that MacWorld Expo is considering a return to Boston:

Fed up with rising prices at the Javits Center, and enticed by a free offer for Boston's brand-spanking new convention center, IDG World Expo is considering moving its MacWorld trade show out of New York.

Boston was the site of the East Coast MacWorld for years until the move to New York back in 1998.

G4scott
Jul 31, 2002, 06:04 PM
Hmm... This could be good. A new convention center to introduce the new G5's... Or, they could have MWNY in San Antonio. They have a nice, new, large convention center :D

Besides, It'll be easier to convince my family to go to Boston next summer instead of NY :cool:

Wes
Jul 31, 2002, 06:19 PM
I have a ground breaking idea, Macworld... London.

AlphaTech
Jul 31, 2002, 06:21 PM
I've been praying to the Mac gods to have MW return to Boston. :D It would be great, since I could take off from work early and shoot into town and check out the expo. Or I could car pool with a few people from work and we could all go. With a free expo pass, it would really be free (not need to get a hotel room or such nonsense :D).

I hope this turns out to be true...

Mr. Anderson
Jul 31, 2002, 06:22 PM
I remember when they made the switch (ha!, funny, I'm laughing at myself) But I always thought of Boston as *the* MacWorld town - it will be great if they go back.

D

AlphaTech
Jul 31, 2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W
I have a ground breaking idea, Macworld... London.

ROTFLMSaTAO!!!! Isn't Paris close enough to you guys??? I mean, hop across the channel and you are there. :p :D

AlphaTech
Jul 31, 2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I remember when they made the switch (ha!, funny, I'm laughing at myself) But I always thought of Boston as *the* MacWorld town - it will be great if they go back.

D

If it happens, I will treat a few of the demi-gods (from here) to steaks, via my gas grill... :D

It would also make a great geekfest... :D

Wes
Jul 31, 2002, 06:36 PM
Do you know why they call it <cue french accent>Gay Paris</accent>? Just kidding to all you frogs out there, whoops there we go again!
Well alpha, I'd rather jump on one train go over to Waterloo station (named after the battle field where we defeated the french) and get on the tube for a few stops rather than, going to Waterloo and get on a three hour train ride to Gard du Nord in Paris.

Edit: I was just kidding about the whole not liking France thing, I've been there many times I'd just rather have it on my doorstep, wouldn't we all? I'd host it at my house if i could. All hatemail to whatdidido@youhavetomuchfreetime.com

madamimadam
Jul 31, 2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

ROTFLMSaTAO!!!! Isn't Paris close enough to you guys??? I mean, hop across the channel and you are there. :p :D

Some could say the same about NY
;)

I wish I could hop on a 3 hour train to get to a big Mac World
:)

I suppose you will tell me to jump on a boat and go to Tokyo
:)

AlphaTech
Jul 31, 2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
Some could say the same about NY ;)

I wish I could hop on a 3 hour train to get to a big Mac World :)

I suppose you will tell me to jump on a boat and go to Tokyo :)

Lets see... in order... yes; ok; and, if you have the time/money to do it... go for it... BTW, I never said HOW to hop across the channel (plain's, trains, and automobiles :p).

I went to MWNY last year, and have no desire to go back to NYC. We drove down, which was a bit of a pain (and about a 5 hour drive). I am about 30 minutes from Boston (depending on traffic, and which route I take) so it's a hell of a lot easier to get to MWB then MWNY. :p

I also think that more people in New England would go if MW returned to Boston. Considering how Maineac's could come down, people from NH and VT as well...

daRAT
Jul 31, 2002, 08:47 PM
I've been praying to the Mac gods to have MW return to Boston. :D It would be great, since I could take off from work early and shoot into town and check out the expo. Or I could car pool with a few people from work and we could all go. With a free expo pass, it would really be free (not need to get a hotel room or such nonsense :D).

I hope this turns out to be true...

I am with you on this Alpha! :]

Just a short train ride to Boston...

This would rock!

LimeiBook86
Jul 31, 2002, 08:50 PM
I live in NJ it is easier to go to NY then Boston! Although once when I was there I saw a really cool Bus with iMacs all over it, the colored ones, it said YUM, it wasn't just an ad the whole bus was covered in them. It was cool, but it would be a bummer if NY won't have Macworld anymore... Then I couldn't go... This disscussion will have many ups and downs...:(

LimeiBook86
Jul 31, 2002, 08:56 PM

If it happens, I will treat a few of the demi-gods (from here) to steaks, via my gas grill... :D

It would also make a great geekfest... :D

Ssssstttttteeaaaakkkkk...... (drool) LOL!:D

JtheLemur
Jul 31, 2002, 08:58 PM
I love my hometown of NYC (we can kick YOUR city's ASS) but I really do NOT like the Javits Center. Terrible ventilation, tons of wasted space, and just DAMN expensive.

Plus having it back in Boston would gimme an excuse to ride Amtrak's Acela. DEFINITELY a fun ride. w00t! (as long as it doesn't derail hehehe...)

AlphaTech
Jul 31, 2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
Ssssstttttteeaaaakkkkk...... (drool) LOL!:D

I don't see you biatching any more about MW coming back to bean town.. :D

Just remember, you must be a demi-god in order to partake of the steak. :D The demi-god status must be in effect BEFORE the MacWorld (as well as during it). There will also be limited seating, so reserve your spot as soon as MWB is confirmed (and the advertising begins). :D

gunb0y
Jul 31, 2002, 09:11 PM
ok, all of u NON demi-gods can come have steak at my house!

Soma_Addict
Aug 1, 2002, 12:02 AM
Well as long as they dont move MacWorld San Francisco to LA, Seattle, Portland or...anywhere else really, I am fine. Although I can empatize with both parties on this one. I for one would hate it if MW moved from my town(NY, if I lived there), but i would love it if it moved into my town(Boston, if I lived there).

From a 3rd party point of view, and from someone who has never attended the East Coast MacWorld(but have attended the other 3), I would rather go to Boston for it then NY. NY doesnt need it, they have everything else. Boston though, well I think Boston and MacWorld fit together better.

just my two sheckels, take it or leave it.

madamimadam
Aug 1, 2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
[B]w00t!/B]

Ok, I never got the w00t thing.... please explain

job
Aug 1, 2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

Ok, I never got the w00t thing.... please explain

He's kind of a n00b isn't he? :D

Nick Pellicoro
Aug 1, 2002, 03:50 AM
We are supposed to be going forward NOT BACKWARD!
New York is the biggest stage in the world why would you want to play to a smaller room!

zorglub
Aug 1, 2002, 06:32 AM
hum... not GAY PARIS but GAI PARIS...

that's refere to " funny Paris " at the " Belle Epoque " at the end of the 19th century.

;)

and it's not so far from London... but reverse is true of course...

it's maybe more simple for all the european consumers with the "euro" yet.

still loving London " évidemment ".

z-)

cyberfunk
Aug 1, 2002, 07:32 AM
w000000t !!! I want Macworld to come back to Boston BAAAAD.. I could actually GO.

jamesbhai
Aug 1, 2002, 09:16 AM
the convention center won't be ready until 2004, so you have at least one more year in the Big Apple. we can't beat the damn yankees on the field, so perhaps we can take the Big Show. :|

AlphaTech
Aug 1, 2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by jamesbhai
the convention center won't be ready until 2004, so you have at least one more year in the Big Apple. we can't beat the damn yankees on the field, so perhaps we can take the Big Show. :|

**** the yankees, and the sox too... :eek: :eek:

When it is completed, I really do hope that MWB becomes a reality once again. Just think, you could go from MWB up to Maine for some über fresh lobster in about an hour (depending on traffic). :D Hell, you could just walk to a Legal Seafood and get it there if you don't feel like treking into the land of Mainiacs. :D

TechLarry
Aug 1, 2002, 09:45 AM
As it should be!

TL

mcrain
Aug 1, 2002, 09:50 AM
They need to do the MW in completely new places. Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, Indianapolis, etc...

Apple has a pretty good market already on the two coasts, they need to start making ground here in the middle.

MWSF could easily be MW Springfield??

AlphaTech
Aug 1, 2002, 09:58 AM
Keep dreaming mcrain... Considering how in years gone by, they have kept the expo at one location or another for years, I don't see them making it a roaming expo. People like to book rooms at the end of one expo for the next, which makes keeping to the same city very practical (for more then a few reasons).

Maybe you could have them do a smaller expo halfway between the major ones. Wait, they already have those, in Tokyo and Paris... :eek: :p :D

Macmaniac
Aug 1, 2002, 10:25 AM
I would be really bummed if they went to Boston, I can't get up their easily and its a long trip from NJ:( I would really miss MWNY and I could no longer provide people with a cool movie of what happend there, if you have not seen the movie go to the link that is in my sig.

AlphaTech
Aug 1, 2002, 10:30 AM
So, Macmaniac, what did you do the years that MW WAS in Boston??? I think it's high time that MW returned to it's roots (Boston). :p :D

jamesbhai
Aug 1, 2002, 11:10 AM
legal seafood doesn't count. you can get legal seafood in an airport in DC. don't call that the real deal. it's as real as northern bbq or burger king burgers. nice, but NOT the real deal.

AlphaTech
Aug 1, 2002, 11:23 AM
I didn't call the stuff from legal seafood the 'real deal' ya twit...

I DID mention going to Maine for some über-fresh lobster (read my ****ing post first next time, mook). But for those too weak to handle the drive into Maine, THEY could go to LS, if they want to. :p

Personally, I will cook my own live lobster before having it at any restaurant... I might even make a trip to Maine over the next few weeks to get some right off the boat (doesn't get ANY fresher then that). :p :D

[return of the old saying] Suck it biatch!!

Geert
Aug 1, 2002, 11:38 AM
always good to safe a few bucks :p

jamesbhai
Aug 1, 2002, 01:07 PM
someone got up on the wrong side of the park bench this morning. geez. there are places FAR better than legal in boston. try tia's or union oyster house.

anyway, boston is more fervently mac, and seeing how they left due to spatial concerns, it would be nice to see MW return to its roots. hopefully in '04.

AlphaTech
Aug 1, 2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jamesbhai
someone got up on the wrong side of the park bench this morning. geez. there are places FAR better than legal in boston. try tia's or union oyster house.

anyway, boston is more fervently mac, and seeing how they left due to spatial concerns, it would be nice to see MW return to its roots. hopefully in '04.

You want to suck my what??? :eek: :p

In the past ~6 years, I have been into Boston MAYBE 6 times. I have no great love for large cities, which makes NYC even nastier to me. I would go into bean town FOR the expo, but that is about all.

As for there being places better inside Boston, since I don't go into town, I couldn't care less...

BTW, Legal Seafood is a name many people are familiar with. :p

If I want to have great seafood, I'll go to the market, get some ultra fresh fish and cook it myself. :p

Wry Cooter
Aug 1, 2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
They need to do the MW in completely new places. Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, Indianapolis, etc...

Apple has a pretty good market already on the two coasts, they need to start making ground here in the middle.

Even better... Macworldmobile!!!!

A black limo drives up to your house. Steve Jobs is inside with a TiBook. You get in the limo. You wake up naked in a cornfield in the middle of nowhere.

G4scott
Aug 1, 2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Wry Cooter

Even better... Macworldmobile!!!!

A black limo drives up to your house. Steve Jobs is inside with a TiBook. You get in the limo. You wake up naked in a cornfield in the middle of nowhere.

I think that since Apple's looking to get money from you, you'd probably wake up in a bath tub full of ice, one of your kidneys missing, and a note saying that you have 30 minutes to get to the hospital :eek: :p :cool:

groovebuster
Aug 2, 2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by G4scott

I think that since Apple's looking to get money from you, you'd probably wake up in a bath tub full of ice, one of your kidneys missing, and a note saying that you have 30 minutes to get to the hospital :eek: :p :cool:

Why only a kidney? There is a lot of other stuff one can "donate" and stay alive... :D They just leave as much as you need to go on living... :eek:

Could be just hard to read the note without eyes... and walking could be also hard without arms and legs! ;)

groovebuster

iDeus
Aug 2, 2002, 10:26 AM

**** the yankees, and the sox too... :eek: :eek:

When it is completed, I really do hope that MWB becomes a reality once again. Just think, you could go from MWB up to Maine for some über fresh lobster in about an hour (depending on traffic). :D Hell, you could just walk to a Legal Seafood and get it there if you don't feel like treking into the land of Mainiacs. :D

I LOVE LEGAL SEAFOOD, :-)

iDeus
Aug 2, 2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by mcrain

Springfield in what state? if it was in massachusetts it'd be like 30 min away from me, :-)... but why would it be in that pos, heh

jamesbhai
Aug 2, 2002, 03:57 PM
i rest my case. thanks for making my point clear.

G4scott
Aug 3, 2002, 12:37 AM
They could have MacWorld in McAllen, TX :D

That is, if the stupid city every decides on where they're going to build the new convention center... (the old one really sucks). Right now, the city leaders are arguing over whether to put it in the same down-town location as the old one where there are hotels within walking distance, or put it on the outskirts of town... I swear, my city is really screwed up... We had a mayor sometime back who made a citizens arrest, for someone who was speeding! He also walked around his neighborhood with his shotgun shooting the grackles that eat his fruits... :rolleyes: