Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Thanks to an anonymous source, MacRumors has obtained the date of September 5th for availability of the HP branded iPod. Sources state that the HP iPod should differ little from the Apple branded 4th generation iPod. Originally shown by HP's CEO Carly Fiorina, the original plan for the HP iPod was in the 3G model, but after having been informed of the redesign, HP decided to forgo an earlier release and wait for the availability of the 4th generation iPods. Body color is expected to be in 'HP Blue'.

Distribution channels are not clear yet, but the digital jukebox will be available on hpshopping.com on the 5th, with support training for 24/7 support starting on August 30 before launch.

More details should be made available shortly before Apple Expo Paris, starting with Phil Schiller's Keynote speech on August 31st in Steve Job's absence. The new G5 iMac is expected to be released at the Paris expo.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Why would Apple let HP sell iPods? Is Apple getting any of the money HP makes from using the iPod design? I don't understand why Apple wouldn't want to sell all the iPods, and not let HP get any of the profits.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
it all comes down to market dominance

<long version>more ipod sales, regardless of the logo on the back, increases Apple's bottom line. So far, the big fruit company has done well with distribution channels for the ipod far outstretched from it's computer resellers, but has really just hit the tip of the product distribution iceberg. HP has completely permeated the PC resellers internationally, and has distribution channels that Apple can only dream of. Not to mention there's been no mention of bundle deals with other HP products, further expanding the iPod market.</long version>

<short version>It'll make money. Lots of it. For Apple & HP.</short version>

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
i know i wouldn't want an ipod that said HP on it. apple certianly wouldn't allow this to have any features that the current ipods don't have.

this is simply a marketing move to get a new distribution channel for the ipod. i hope it doesn't backfire and cheapen the ipod's image.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
I was wondering why it's taking so long for HP to get 'em out :Q ...I wouldn't buy that ugly blue ipod anyway. I like the simplicity of white and metal far too much.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Veldek said:
A little OT, but does this mean that MacRumors sources don't agree with AppleInsider, that the iMac will already come out on Monday?

I think this is a moot point. "As soon as Monday evening" here is Tuesday morning in Paris, so I think it will be at the keynote.

Lee Tom

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
I think the delay is the blue paint. I believe HP had a contract with IBM to produce "HP blue" paint, but they ran into a heat issue when they added the blue pigment to the mix. Apparently they also spilled gallons of the stuff on all of the G5 processors certified to run at clockspeeds higher than 2.5ghz.

:eek:

spinko

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
N hemisphere
iPod section

Why not open a specal section for iPods ? Is there no more news to talk about in the computer section ? Anyways, probably it's better to talk about the iPod than not have anything to talk about :)

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
isn't itunes already bundled with HP computers? im sure that they are hoping to sell these bundled with HP computers at a discount. this will get many more PC users using ipods, and also the ITMS. apple is trying to expand its market share by selling out to the "dark side" ;)

stoid

macrumors 601
I hope that this it the knock dead punch that keeps Microsoft out of the market. The main reason that I worry about MS, is that most companies would be content to be selling a product and making a profit. MS doesn't seem to be content until it has wiped out all competition, and is the lone provider of the good/service so that it can do ****ty work, overprice it, and screw the consumer.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Windowlicker said:
I was wondering why it's taking so long for HP to get 'em out :Q ...I wouldn't buy that ugly blue ipod anyway. I like the simplicity of white and metal far too much.

Maybe to match their HP computers. I bet some people will like it. White matches most of the Macs except for the Powermac/books.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
johnbro23 said:
Why would Apple let HP sell iPods? Is Apple getting any of the money HP makes from using the iPod design? I don't understand why Apple wouldn't want to sell all the iPods, and not let HP get any of the profits.

I believe that Apple will be producing the blue iPods for HP. HP buys them from Apple and then resells them to their customers.

The question remains... does anyone really want an HP ipod?

ltgator333

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2003
Albion, MI
I think the best way that HP has to market these things it to bundle them with PC's. That would make the most sense to me, hey if you're gonna get an iPod with the computer that makes it a lot better, right?
The only thing I can say about this is I think it will be a good thing for two reasons- Apple makes a profit off these iPods that HP sells, and it keeps the iPod popular and ahead of the game, and actually now that I think of it.. a third reason is HP may have some (useful) development input for Apple's iPod team.
I fail to see how this could hurt Apple significantly.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I don't see why any of you are acting shocked about this, the fact that HP will be releasing there own branded iPod is no surprise, it's old news!

RadiusMan

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
I too really don't understand exactly why Apple is doing this. But I do remember them saying that Apple is making the iPods for HP but instead of putting an Apple logo they are puting on HP's. I do agree with a previous poster who stated that it might add additional channels of distribution.

Perhaps HP just wanted to sell iPods along with their computers but didn't want to sell something with the Apple name on it. Who knows... I sure don't.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple's motives:

1. They make the HPods, and pocket the cash.

2. Yet another place to sell iPods--Apple's always looking for more strategic partners.

3. Sales to people who wouldn't touch an Apple logo but swoon at the names like "HP" and "Dell."

4. Part of the deal in which HP put iTunes on their machines (and Compaqs).

HP's motives:

1. They wanted to get into music, both as an image thing and for profit. Apple already had something better than they could ever do alone. They knew it, and persuaded Apple to work out a deal.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
iTunes is now bundled with HP computers. My family have purchased a HP desktop, and it does have an iTunes.
Actually, HP computers (home-use models, not professional lineup) have a huge market share, in which their lineup are of EXTREMELY HIGH SPEC (PCI express, Double Layer DVD, Serial ATA......) and Low price, thus, being ever expanding. Bundle iTunes in HP computers would have positive effect to diffuse iTunes (and even iPod) to PC users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.