PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 pics.... maybe?

keysersoze
Aug 26, 2004, 03:37 PM
...or pure speculation/photoshop?

You decide!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45629

:)

dotnina
Aug 26, 2004, 03:41 PM
Strange! If it is the new iMac, where's the rest of it? All I see is a screen ...

... but then, it doesn't look exactly like a cinema display.

Commence the HMMMMMMing.

FlamDrag
Aug 26, 2004, 04:00 PM
Looks like an apple box with a 3rd party flat panel TV propped up inside of it. Nothing to get too excited about.

alexf
Aug 26, 2004, 04:14 PM
Great hoax!

At least someone's having fun sitting back and playing with our minds...

Sun Baked
Aug 26, 2004, 04:20 PM
Wow, these pictures haven't even been promoted to Page 2 yet. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11434&stc=1

stoid
Aug 26, 2004, 04:25 PM
If they can do that for the iMac G5, we'd have a PowerBook G5 out as well.

vouder17
Aug 26, 2004, 04:29 PM
Well i don't know but they look legit, and i do hope so, cos if i could have a comp like that with a G5, that would be really hardcore!

seamuskrat
Aug 26, 2004, 04:31 PM
Well, after a brief peek at the photos, I think a hoax.

Why?

Macs always pack the mouse and keyboard in that styro on top. It looks more like the Apple Display styro mold than something that would gold DVDs, manuals, keyboard and mouse, and power cord.

Plus, most Mac models have a nice photo and big white letters on the box. Why open it? (A tad illegal for a baggage handler) Just take a snapshot of the box with its full color iMac image.

dotnina
Aug 26, 2004, 04:31 PM
If they can do that for the iMac G5, we'd have a PowerBook G5 out as well.

I second that. I think it's a Photoshop hack or cinema display ... or a Photoshopped cinema display.

Laslo Panaflex
Aug 26, 2004, 04:37 PM
It is not a cinema display, I own a 23" personally, and 20" at work, and the back of them don't look like that. It really just looks like a plasma TV inside an Apple display box. This looks like a hoax to me, but I have been wrong in the past.

Edit: This a definately a hoax, the screen looks like it is glass no LCD computer monitor that Apple makes have glass like that and not the the standard LCD film.

fwhh
Aug 26, 2004, 04:41 PM
If this is the new mac, the biggest discussion will be about the reversed FULL apple on the back...So we shout forget this one....

EJBasile
Aug 26, 2004, 07:58 PM
I Did notice an Apple at the top of one of the pics- sticker maybe

Dr. Dastardly
Aug 26, 2004, 08:03 PM
I don't know this would fall along the lines of what has been discussed recently. An all in one LCD monitor. Hmmmm. :p

realityisterror
Aug 26, 2004, 08:14 PM
and he just so happened to have a digital camera in his pocket... :rolleyes:

yeah... right...

kick me when i'm wrong,
reality

Abstract
Aug 26, 2004, 08:18 PM
haha, yeah, lets take a picture of the new iMac in the brightest room possible, reducing visibility. ;)

That styrofoam doesn't even look like its meant for that "iMac".

Phat_Pat
Aug 26, 2004, 08:52 PM
it looks as though its packed upside down

Sun Baked
Aug 26, 2004, 09:10 PM
and he just so happened to have a digital camera in his pocket... :rolleyes:

yeah... right...

kick me when i'm wrong,
realityNope he didn't, but there was a digital camera in another piece of luggage -- along with this guy's new Armani suit and gold Rolex. ;)

bluebull
Aug 26, 2004, 09:35 PM
On the second pic there's a little bit sticking out from behind the screen, so it's not just a panel. Assuming it's real, I think it's pretty cool, though I don't know how it would stand upright.

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 09:54 PM
Cut me a break. I wait all fricking summer (having to suffer w/this piece o' poop PC) to buy the new iMac, and this is what we get...a turd in a box!!

Seriously, why didn't Apple just post the damn specs in July, take names, and then they'd know by Sept. the capacity at which to crank up the production line?

Ford did it with the new hybrid Escape. Smart Car has been doing it.

Hell, your girlfriend (future wife) does it...for one date, or three, or thirty.

Apple Inc. is Tease Inc. They can kiss my ass. I'm buying a Gateway.

heh

sorryiwasdreami
Aug 26, 2004, 09:55 PM
It looks pretty believable to me. Why is everyone's first reaction always "this is a hoax?" Yes, there are always mocks of new computer designs/OS features; but, Paris and new iMacs are only days away. Isn't it possible that someone hads access to these machines somewhere?

Maybe the blurring and crappy lighting are due to a cellular phone's low res. digital photography capabilities.

If it is the new machine, it might just have bluetooth keyboard and mouse connections, and the two peripherals may be under the first layer of styrofoam.

I'd buy it.

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 09:57 PM
This week I received a catalog from MACMALL.

On page 7, it stated: "The new iMac is coming. Call us to place you order today."

Do they know something no one else does?

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 09:59 PM
Yeah, Peace. If only.

Not while the neo-cons rule.

Emmigrate to Paradise Island! Clothing optional.

sorryiwasdreami
Aug 26, 2004, 10:01 PM
This week I received a catalog from MACMALL.

On page 7, it stated: "The new iMac is coming. Call us to place you order today."

Do they know something no one else does?

Like what? Most people here know the new iMac is coming; Apple announced it on their site. What are you referring to exactly?

rhpenguin
Aug 26, 2004, 10:02 PM
wait and see what apple legal does.. if the pic disapears, its legit.. if not, well who knows...

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 10:08 PM
How could they start taking orders without some specs to refer to?

Wait, I'm going to call them now, and see what happens. I will report back....

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 10:11 PM
Before I call, here's the exact quote from MacMall:

"Apple has stopped taking orders for the current iMac...To reserve your NEW iMac call MacMall today! Ask for #463761"

Which is exactly what I'm going to do...right now...get right back to you...

(sorry, it was page 10, not page 7)

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 10:24 PM
Ok, here's how the call went....

Some guy in India answered, I babbled for a while, he finally said:

"O, MacMall, ok. I get you to MacMall. Please wait."

A recording came up...

"For home or home office sales, press 1. For business sales, press 2..." And so on.

I pressed 1. An American answered, and I mentioned ad #463761.

"Oh, yeah, the iMac. We're taking reservations now. Can I take your order?"

"Well, do you have any specifications," I asked.

"No, Apple isn't releasing those yet. We're just taking reservations for the future."

"How can I place an order without knowing the specs?" I asked, the exasperation evident in my voice.

"Apple's always like this. They're real secretive..."

yada yada yada...like I said, Tease Inc.

agentbristow
Aug 26, 2004, 10:24 PM
I am not sure if this is real or not, my instinct wants to say yes, but there are just too many things that aren't right. If you go to that link, and you look at the picture of the Vaio and the "iMac G5", you can tell the logo on the back of the iMac is all screwed up, no bite out of it. I dont know if that pic has been around for a while, but I just felt I should point that out.

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 10:27 PM
I want my iMac G5!

Pardon my exuberance.

BTW, the photo is a fake. Period.

aus_dave
Aug 26, 2004, 10:30 PM
wait and see what apple legal does.. if the pic disapears, its legit.. if not, well who knows...The first post in the AppleInsider thread has a link to a .Mac homepage, which no longer works? Did it ever work? Maybe Apple legal got to him :D.

I think it's real, seems an elaborate hoax to get a mock-up of a box made up. But then some people do have too much time on their hands :rolleyes:.

Phat_Pat
Aug 26, 2004, 10:31 PM
i looks like that imac render that was blue, it also appears to have the wraping pealed back.
(i changed the brightness and stuff on it)
i hope i dont get in trouble for this.... lol
:o

technocoy
Aug 26, 2004, 10:35 PM
first, what the hell are you talking about macmall fraud? people take pre-order before a final product is announced all the time, they did it for the gameboy advance as well. and i don't know if you are getting it or if i'm taking you're posts the wrong way, but macmall isn't "on to something" APPLE ANNOUNCED THE NEW IMACS they just haven't debuted them yet. if you go to the site you can read it there. and i don't know what the hell you guys are talking about the apple on the back of the cheezy-ass render for... it has nothing to do with the photos in question. the person was doing a comparison of that, the supposed iMac photos and a sony vaio.

some how, this thread got all mixed up and retarded! :eek:

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 10:38 PM
Phat-Pat: Good eyes.

If this is the real thing...Apple prefers rounded corners, not square ones. It doesn't seem right.

I don't think so, but the shrink wrap is intriguing, I have to admit.

gatorron
Aug 26, 2004, 10:39 PM
tech: Don't get too worked up.

How can they take "reservations" before customers can know what they're buying?

Sorry, that's bogus.

Phat_Pat
Aug 26, 2004, 10:41 PM
this look a little different

http://www.mackompass.de/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=2

gekko513
Aug 26, 2004, 10:51 PM
It's just a LaCie LCD display (http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10074).

At least according to one of the guys commenting on the appleinsider forum.

homerjward
Aug 26, 2004, 10:53 PM

http://www.mackompass.de/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=2
gimme!

Flowbee
Aug 26, 2004, 10:58 PM
I think it's real, seems an elaborate hoax to get a mock-up of a box made up.

Looks like a 17" Powerbook box to me.

applemacdude
Aug 26, 2004, 11:08 PM
Seems interesting...

aus_dave
Aug 26, 2004, 11:25 PM
Looks like a 17" Powerbook box to me.There is a pic of a Powerbook box on page 8 of the AppleInsider thread - now that I have seen it I can see the similarity :).

aswitcher
Aug 26, 2004, 11:29 PM
It's just a LaCie LCD display (http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10074).

At least according to one of the guys commenting on the appleinsider forum.

Damn, I actually thought it looked like a good bet for the new iMac

technocoy
Aug 26, 2004, 11:43 PM
that its a screwy thing to do, i'm just saying it happens. i just thought you were getting all excited thinking they knew something that no one else did, so my bad for not completely reading your post right! :)

technocoy
Aug 26, 2004, 11:45 PM
and to add to the hoax team... there is none of the sticky film on the screen. all lcd's and powerbooks come with the clear sticky film on the screen... you would see the bubbles and wrinkles.

Laslo Panaflex
Aug 27, 2004, 12:02 AM
and to add to the hoax team... there is none of the sticky film on the screen. all lcd's and powerbooks come with the clear sticky film on the screen... you would see the bubbles and wrinkles.

My old Plastic 23", and my new ALU 23" and 20" did not have any plastic covering the screen, neither have any iBooks that I have opened at my work . . .

aswitcher
Aug 27, 2004, 12:10 AM
I have taken another look and I still thinks its a possibly Apple product. Its smaller than I initially thought given the size of those floor dots you find everywhere.

Dr. Dastardly
Aug 27, 2004, 12:50 AM
Why is it so unbelievable that the person just so happened to have a camera? I have one on all of my cell phones.

And it looks like it was taken with a crappy phone camera in a closed elevator. But thats just 2 cents.

yoda13
Aug 27, 2004, 01:01 AM
Maybe its real, maybe it isn't. I personally don't think that it is. But who knows. I do think that I agree with an earlier poster who said that if they can get a G5 in that, Apple would be able to get it into a laptop as well. Regardless, it won't be long until we all know for sure.

dotnina
Aug 27, 2004, 01:12 AM
The Apple logo in the picture looks like it's LOWER than the Apple logo on my Powerbook (15") box. Or, at the very least, the logo in relation to the box is lower than my box / logo ... if that makes sense.

I would think that Apple would position the logo the same percentage of the way down on each box. Then again, maybe not.

friarbayliff
Aug 27, 2004, 01:24 AM
Yeah, the dimensions for that just don't look right. The box looks about the size of a 15" pb box. There's no way they fit the new imac in there.

However, the little voice in the back of my head is telling me to start drooling profusely :)

Kingsnapped
Aug 27, 2004, 02:02 AM

Use your alt+apple+(=) magic to enlarge it. I thought I saw plasticy-wrinkles on the far side (from the camera) and was about to contest that wrinkles there wouldn't make sense.

BrianKonarsMac
Aug 27, 2004, 04:51 AM

http://www.mackompass.de/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=2now that would be an iMac to envy.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 27, 2004, 05:27 AM
Its a hoax and the people that made that are laughing loud about all the discussion on the forums.

stevehaslip
Aug 27, 2004, 06:33 AM
its fake, i bet 10p its fake! Wouldn't a consumer level mac come in a white box? iBooks and eMacs still do, I'm sure that this is an LCD panel in a Powerbook box. (someone somewhere else menioned a Lacie LCD)
It might be real, but not if its fake!!
Theres not long to wait now anyway!
:D

aswitcher
Aug 27, 2004, 06:48 AM
its fake, i bet 10p its fake! Wouldn't a consumer level mac come in a white box? iBooks and eMacs still do, I'm sure that this is an LCD panel in a Powerbook box. (someone somewhere else menioned a Lacie LCD)
It might be real, but not if its fake!!
Theres not long to wait now anyway!
:D

If they shift from white to metal then the box going from white to black is not a great suprise...maybe only the education line will be whie packaged from now on.

backspinner
Aug 27, 2004, 07:31 AM
The box is too small for such a big display... not enough room for packaging stuff on the sides!

jayscheuerle
Aug 27, 2004, 07:42 AM
If you've got a chance to take a picture of the new iMac, why in the world would you only take ambiguous ones? What's the point?

aswitcher
Aug 27, 2004, 07:52 AM
If you've got a chance to take a picture of the new iMac, why in the world would you only take ambiguous ones? What's the point?

Sure and thats why its very sus...but is it the new imac?

wPod
Aug 27, 2004, 08:19 AM
The box is too small for such a big display... not enough room for packaging stuff on the sides!

i would have to agree there. the sides nearly touch the cardboard. apple is far to careful for that, they have at least a couple inches of padding b/w the side of any product and the outside cardboard.

plus. . . where do you put the CD? the top of this 'imac' slopes down, so it cant be slot load from the top. same thing for the sides. and it is not thick enough to have a cd load from the front (the CD would be sticking a couple inches out of the front or back of the machine)

i like the sentement, but it really looks like a TV monitor of some sort.

keysersoze
Aug 27, 2004, 10:38 AM
Wow, these pictures haven't even been promoted to Page 2 yet. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11434&stc=1

It's now a Page 2 Rumor. :D

AmigoMac
Aug 27, 2004, 01:23 PM
I hope those pics are not real... I'm pretty sure the iMac will have that "Display" look but those speakers look ugly ... but don't you remember the "Half-dome" description from some months ago, it looks "half-dome" when a lot of people said the FP iMac is Dome ... I hope to get one (depending on the graphic card)