Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
I just installed FCS and when I opened Final cut it suggested that I use a separate hard drive as a scratch disk. I don't mind buying an external hard drive but what are the advantages over using my iMac's hard drive?

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
Hi,

One of the reasons is that the video data is a continous stream of data. While editiing and capturing.

The system disk is also busy with the programm (FCP) and the OS (swapping, internal maintenance etc). So it can happen that while capturing the disk is used for other data exchange and FCP cannot deliver its data (dropped frames). It cannot be predicted when this happens. Same can happen while editing, but then at least you have the data correctly on disk.

So, as already stated by the big boss, always a seperate scratch/data disk. Spead issue but it also prevents errors and lost frames.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
aside from the obvious - projects are not on the OS drive where the drive failure is most likely to occur - there are a few other things such as seek time, overall system performance/response time etc. its not like you would REALLY notice a difference in processing times etc, but it all counts.

if you render a lot, then small writes/reads to the internal drive might reduce the life time of the drive overall - so an external would be a nice addition.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Not to mention, you'll find over time when editing video (especially HD video), your hard drive space will start to disappear rather quickly. For example, DV NTSC video (SD video from MiniDV cameras) and HDV consumes around 13GB of space per hour. AVCHD (once converted to ProRes 422 for editing) at 1080i60 or 1080p30 can consume over 60GB per hour. It adds up really fast.

Use your main boot drive for OS and applications and let a separate disk handle your scratch. External FW drives are relatively cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.