Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi,

I have a problem with the standard language setting. Every time I start-up my Mac starts up with US (see picture attached). I have changed in the system prefernces under language settings and under network settings everything and have tried many things, but everytime I start-up its back on US setting. Maybe someone has an idea ? I really changed already everything in the system prefs but on re-boot - back to US.

Thanks
LaForge

Attachments

• Bild 1.jpg
    Bild 1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 145

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I believe (but wait for others to confirm this, as I'm not sure) that it will always revert back to the language of the installed OS. Since you installed in with English as the primary language, the only way to have it default to anything other than English would be to reinstall OS X in that language, and have everything appear in that language.

Lee Tom

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
LeeTom said:
I believe (but wait for others to confirm this, as I'm not sure) that it will always revert back to the language of the installed OS. Since you installed in with English as the primary language, the only way to have it default to anything other than English would be to reinstall OS X in that language, and have everything appear in that language.

Lee Tom

Thanks for your hint, but I have installed it with german as the standard language and this problem is new :)

I have two users setup and for the other user I have no problem.

Re-installing is no option. Then I choose to change it by hand after every re-boot.

Cheers
LaForge

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
CmdrLaForge said:
Thanks for your hint, but I have installed it with german as the standard language and this problem is new :)

I have two users setup and for the other user I have no problem.

Re-installing is no option. Then I choose to change it by hand after every re-boot.

Cheers
LaForge

It may seem ridiculous, but have you tried repairing the drive with a 3rd party utility?

Also, I noticed since Panther that my keyboard preference has always been forced to something else. None of the updates has made a difference and re-installation did nothing different to it either.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
bousozoku said:
It may seem ridiculous, but have you tried repairing the drive with a 3rd party utility?

Also, I noticed since Panther that my keyboard preference has always been forced to something else. None of the updates has made a difference and re-installation did nothing different to it either.

Hi
thanks, which 3rd party utility do you mean ?

I have the problem since I repaired permissions and set everything back to standard settings with ONYX. Now I have that problem.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Customize Sorting...

When you change the language, you should change the script language as well, it's is under International (Landeseinstellungen, ;) ) down in that frame, there is "Customize Sorting" and select the text behavior you're expecting...

You don't have to reinstall OS X in order to get the language you want...

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
AmigoMac said:
When you change the language, you should change the script language as well, it's is under International (Landeseinstellungen, ;) ) down in that frame, there is "Customize Sorting" and select the text behavior you're expecting...

You don't have to reinstall OS X in order to get the language you want...

Thanks for that hint, unfortunatly - I did that already. I really changed all settings in the system preferences to german
:(

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
CmdrLaForge said:
Thanks for that hint, unfortunatly - I did that already. I really changed all settings in the system preferences to german
:(

If you just want to work in German, Put "Deutsch" first in the list (Obvious step) , change the script behavior as I posted before, edit the list of languages you may want to show in the languages list and deselect English, Logout and Login again ... it should work ... I don't think a restart would be necessary but ...

Edit: We know the little flag is because of the KB layout, after you do the steps above, deselect the US KB in "Input Menu" / "TastaturMenü"

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
AmigoMac said:
If you just want to work in German, Put "Deutsch" first in the list (Obvious step) , change the script behavior as I posted before, edit the list of languages you may want to show in the languages list and deselect English, Logout and Login again ... it should work ... I don't think a restart would be necessary but ...

Edit: We know the little flag is because of the KB layout, after you do the steps above, deselect the US KB in "Input Menu" / "TastaturMenü"

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Unfortunatly. Its still not working. I tried all that. Nothing. On reboot its just back on its old settings. Really frustrating.

Cheers

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Rower_CPU said:
Have you tried changing sorting order of the languages?

I guess, it's easier, clicking edit on the right and deselecting English ... pretty odd that it's not working :(

All what I've said is what I do when I want to chance the language language

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
CmdrLaForge said:
Hi
thanks, which 3rd party utility do you mean ?

I have the problem since I repaired permissions and set everything back to standard settings with ONYX. Now I have that problem.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

Good thing I don't want/need Onyx. :eek: I was talking about using DiskWarrior or Tech Tool Pro 4, as I've noticed strange behaviour with damaged files at times. You could also find the language preferences file and delete it and see what happens after a logout/login.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi,

thank you all for the help. I finally fixed it ! In the keyboard menu (under language settings) I selected OPTIONS and there sync LANGUAGE and KEYBOARD and that fixed it !!!

I really tried everything else before and nothing worked. But that sync did it !

Again - thanks for the help. It wasn't a big problem but annoying.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.