PDA

View Full Version : Apple Updates Me.com Landing Page for iPhone Users

MacRumors
Feb 19, 2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/02/19/apple-updates-me-com-landing-page-for-iphone-users/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/02/19/114913-me.com_iphone.jpg

Apple today posted an updated support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1673) detailing recent enhancements to its me.com (http://www.me.com/) landing page for iPhone and iPod touch users. The new landing page offers instructions for setting up MobileMe services via the device's Settings application, as well as direct links for Find My iPhone and Apple's MobileMe Gallery (http://appshopper.com/photography/mobileme-gallery) and MobileMe iDisk (http://appshopper.com/productivity/mobileme-idisk) applications.Accessing me.com with your iPhone/iPod touch allows you access to the following items:

- A link to setup instructions for setting up Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Find my iPhone on your iPhone/iPod touch.
- A link to use Find My iPhone from a friend's iPhone/iPod touch if you need to locate your lost iPhone/iPod on a map, display a message, play a sound, or remotely lock or wipe it.
- A link to download the iDisk app on the App Store.
- A link to download the Gallery app on the App Store.Apple's me.com landing page for the iPhone and iPod touch previously offered only instructions for setting up MobileMe services on the user's device.

Article Link: Apple Updates Me.com Landing Page for iPhone Users (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/02/19/apple-updates-me-com-landing-page-for-iphone-users/)

Eddyisgreat
Feb 19, 2010, 11:04 AM
looks nice.

I bet alot of users don't know those applications exist for the iPhone...but then again, how many times will they go to me.com on their phones, since you can do mail/cal/etc via the built in apps.

bigrash
Feb 19, 2010, 11:16 AM
That's a lot better than before!

davidwarren
Feb 19, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'm glad that you can now use find my phone on the iphone, makes it useful for when you are out looking for it...

Small White Car
Feb 19, 2010, 11:19 AM
That's a lot better than before!

Too bad the actual find-my-phone page is formatted very poorly for the iPhone screen.

What was the point of making a nice intro and then just passing you off to another page that clearly wasn't designed for the iPhone?

jav6454
Feb 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
Now you truly use "Find my iPhone" on your iPhone simple. Very welcomed update. Now if we could get that dedicated app for that....

Marvin1379
Feb 19, 2010, 11:22 AM
I love this! Can other web-enabled phones access the web apps (esp. Find my iPhone)? Bb?

Becordial
Feb 19, 2010, 11:22 AM
the fact that you can search for your phone with another iphone is cool, as jokes aside. I can see myself using this sometime with the guys on a big night out.

jamespa66
Feb 19, 2010, 11:52 AM
the fact that you can search for your phone with another iphone is cool, as jokes aside. I can see myself using this sometime with the guys on a big night out.

I can see my wife using this to find out what bar I'm in, :(

CrackedButter
Feb 19, 2010, 12:07 PM
Still slightly annoying that you can't access mobileme via the mobile safari browser. On my Uni campus they block access to my .me mail on my laptop. That means on the uni network they will block it on the iPhone, but while I can use the web interface on the laptop via safari, this isn't true for the iPhone. It just tells you to use mobileme with the mail app!

soundsgoodtome
Feb 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
<--- waiting for apple to add an iphone-formatted version of all of apple.com, including its movie-trailer pages.

vjl323
Feb 19, 2010, 12:52 PM
It would be great if Apple could finally give iPhone users the ability to create folders on their .mac accounts. You can't do that with the Mail.app and when you login to mac.com/me.com, you are not given a mobile version of their Mail feature, so it is impossible to create folders. Seems so basic, but, nope, still no way to create folders. *sigh*

/vjl/

the-oz-man
Feb 19, 2010, 12:56 PM
Still slightly annoying that you can't access mobileme via the mobile safari browser. On my Uni campus they block access to my .me mail on my laptop. That means on the uni network they will block it on the iPhone, but while I can use the web interface on the laptop via safari, this isn't true for the iPhone. It just tells you to use mobileme with the mail app!

Why would your uni block .me? Talk about control. This makes Steve look like a wide open door.

///M5
Feb 19, 2010, 01:20 PM
About firggin' time.

Mal
Feb 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
This is good news. A good step in the right direction.

Now they just need to format the other pages for Mobile Safari, and add webmail, contacts, and calendars for guest access on someone else's iPhone (sure, if you're on your own, you can just use the built-in apps, but that's not a good solution for someone borrowing someone else's iPhone). Still, good to have what they offer now.

jW

RaZaK
Feb 19, 2010, 01:59 PM
Is this why MobileMe was down last night? :confused:

///M5
Feb 19, 2010, 02:06 PM

They haven't applied the changes to all IP addresses (sources) yet. Yours should change soon.

Scooterman1
Feb 19, 2010, 02:53 PM
The 'Find my iPhone' is great. And logging if, after pressing that button, takes you right to the Map for the user you log in as.

manhattanboy
Feb 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
This is good news. A good step in the right direction.

Now they just need to format the other pages for Mobile Safari, and add webmail, contacts, and calendars for guest access on someone else's iPhone (sure, if you're on your own, you can just use the built-in apps, but that's not a good solution for someone borrowing someone else's iPhone). Still, good to have what they offer now.

jW

It's good news, but what they really need to do is either lower the price or add a hell of a lot more storage for the price they are charging.

segfaultdotorg
Feb 19, 2010, 03:27 PM
When will they go back to letting you see your bookmarks when you log in to MobileMe.com via a web browser?

firestarter
Feb 19, 2010, 03:33 PM
Really really annoys me that they force you to access the iPhone me.com pages.

I want to use the regular me.com address book page from my iPhone - because I'd like to access all the extra fields (partner's name, birthday etc.) from the phone - and Apple doesn't sync them.

So this really isn't a solution!!

justinfreid
Feb 19, 2010, 04:04 PM
This is a long time in the making.
Apple's implementation of MobileMe's Web 2.0 features is far behind Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft's free services. Forcing users to initiate a sync or use a non-mobile device to get full functionality is, at this point, backwards.

justinfreid
Feb 19, 2010, 04:08 PM
I just tried "Find My iPhone" from an iPhone and the result is a page that is identical to the standard version.

Full of Win
Feb 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
Why can they not offer a nice web app to check email like Microsoft does for MSN and hotmail ???

When I'm on the go and need to save power, I like to use the web app version of MSN.

CrackedButter
Feb 19, 2010, 07:14 PM
Why would your uni block .me? Talk about control. This makes Steve look like a wide open door.

They don't block .me via safari on the laptop. I'm not sure why, but my last Uni would block Mail and Skype and so does my new Uni. Not those specific programs per se but maybe the ports they access in order to get on the net.

Imola Ghost
Feb 19, 2010, 09:41 PM
I have a question about the "Find my iPhone" feature...if loose my iPhone and someone finds it, what if they remove the SIM card? Does it loose all functionality? Can I still find my iPhone without the SIM card in it?

appleguy123
Feb 20, 2010, 12:52 AM
I have a question about the "Find my iPhone" feature...if loose my iPhone and someone finds it, what if they remove the SIM card? Does it loose all functionality? Can I still find my iPhone without the SIM card in it?

If they were on a wifi network then it should work, but if not I don't think it can communicate through magic.

Ed91
Feb 20, 2010, 04:51 AM
I just tried "Find My iPhone" from an iPhone and the result is a page that is identical to the standard version.

Yeah, same here.

It would have been nice if they redesigned it for use with small screens..

Oh well.

abrooks
Feb 20, 2010, 09:40 AM

Find another port, they're just blocking the default IMAP ports I'd imagine.

katangputz
Feb 23, 2010, 01:22 AM
I am using Apple iphone and Apple recently introduce Me.com Updates.I have the page for Find my iPhone and it works perfectly.
iím using Apple iphone 3.1.2. The moment Iím able to upgrade, I do. But Iím also a macbook user so Iím able to keep up with dev-teamís mac-only releases of their jailbreak tools.

justinfreid
Mar 11, 2010, 11:44 PM
Yeah, same here.

It would have been nice if they redesigned it for use with small screens..

Oh well.

I speculate, based on the absence of a "Find My (or my friend's) iPhone App" and a smattering of Apple patents, that Apple has a larger location services strategy that they'll release later, something to compete with or augment Latitude/Brightkite/Foursquare, etc.

justinfreid
Mar 12, 2010, 12:01 AM

That's a good question. Once the SIM card is removed (barring any unlocks) the phone will not do much besides make emergency calls. I'm extrapolating here, but you can receive the following message from MobileMe while trying to find your iPhone: "Your iPhone is not connected to a data network or does not have Find My iPhone enabled." so my guess it it requires the SIM and won't work purely over Wifi.