PDA

View Full Version : Mifi and iPad

t0mat0
Feb 5, 2010, 09:40 AM
Use a mifi? I haven't really it seen mentioned, but surely using a mifi might be an option if Apple doesn't have a CDMA compatible iPad?

rdowns
Feb 5, 2010, 09:44 AM
That or an equivalent form T-Mobile or Sprint (if they have them) will be the only way. Apple and Verizon- not going to happen anytime soon.

aristobrat
Feb 5, 2010, 09:56 AM
Use a mifi? I haven't really it seen mentioned, but surely using a mifi might be an option if Apple doesn't have a CDMA compatible iPad?
Sure, the MiFi works with virtually any WiFi-enabled device, like the iPad.

The drawbacks (to me) are that it's a separate device that has to be charged-up and carried around, it requires a contract, and the monthly data rates are at least 2x more expensive than AT&T. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

If you're going to use the MiFi with other devices, those might not be major drawbacks. But for just an iPad, there's no way I could justify that.

lordhamster
Feb 5, 2010, 10:01 AM
Sure, the MiFi works with virtually any WiFi-enabled device, like the iPad.

The drawbacks (to me) are that it's a separate device that has to be charged-up and carried around, it requires a contract, and the monthly data rates are at least 2x more expensive than AT&T. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

If you're going to use the MiFi with other devices, those might not be major drawbacks. But for just an iPad, there's no way I could justify that.

One other thing to consider is that the MiFi device has recently been revealed to have MAJOR security problems. I don't know if they have been resolved yet.

For me the biggest hassle would be having to keep both devices charged all the time.

pvmacguy
Feb 5, 2010, 10:55 AM
The Verizon mifi is a finicky little device sometimes.

rdowns
Feb 5, 2010, 11:24 AM

Really? From this forum, I would have thought Verizon crapped gold and sent it to their customers each month, in lieu of a bill. :D

dave1812dave
Feb 5, 2010, 12:04 PM

Not mine! The first MiFI unit I had MUST have been defective. I quickly got it replaced via overnight delivery while vacationing, and haven't had a moment's trouble since I got the second unit. Like Apple likes to say, "it just works".

Kadman
Feb 5, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have a MiFi on Sprint (work pays for it) and find it to be a fantastic and versatile device. If I had to pay for it myself I can't say that a single use like the old concept of making an iPod Touch=iPhone (sorta) or now making a WiFi iPad=a 3G iPad would justify the costs. However, if you have a handful of needs for it (other family members using it in a car, frequent traveling, enabling several WiFi only devices, etc.) in can be extremely useful. I haven't had a bit of trouble out of mine.

rfgreen
Feb 19, 2010, 09:14 PM
For those of you considering using a MiFi with your iPad I have a question? How do you get past the requirement that you have to install the VZAccess Manager Since there isn't a version for the iPad?

Thanks in advance for your help.

pvmacguy
Feb 19, 2010, 09:48 PM
If you have a computer already, all you need to do is activate it once on vz access manager. After that when you hit the power button it is just like a normal old wifi hotspot and no need for vz access manager. :)

rfgreen
Feb 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
Makes sense. Thank you.

wolfpackfan
Feb 19, 2010, 11:03 PM
This is the first time I've heard anything about MiFi but after reading on the web some, it sure sounds interesting. If I got it, I could use both for my iPad as well as my wife's aging laptop. I looked at Verizon though and the monthly service charge looked very expensive. Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

rfgreen
Feb 19, 2010, 11:14 PM
Well, if all you have is an iPad then it doesn't make sense. But if you also have a laptop and need connectivity on the go then this might work for you. I am still trying to decide which way I want to go.

pvmacguy
Feb 19, 2010, 11:45 PM
I work for Verizon and IMHO the data charge per month is just absolutely rediculas... Its the same as at&t's but 60 bucks a month for 5gb cap is just insane to me. There is a lower 40 dollar plan for 250 mb but hardly any verizon will sell you the mifi on that plan.

MikhailT
Feb 19, 2010, 11:59 PM
You guys are not up to date.

The Verizon MiFi allows you to use up to 5 devices per MiFi device which is included for 40$ a month plan for 250MB and 60$ for 5GB (they call it unlimited).

Which means, you can use ipad, macbook pro, iphone with the same plan. So it's far cheaper than owning a data plan for the ipad and iPhone separately.

The MiFi basically takes a 3G connection and output a WiFI AP for those devices. The software isn't required past the first time configuration on a Mac or something like it.

More info here (http://www.9to5mac.com/mifi-ipad-43966831).

rdowns
Feb 20, 2010, 08:03 AM
Pardon my interruption. I thought it said Milfs and iPad.

Carry on.

Mr Bigs
Feb 20, 2010, 09:26 AM
This is the first time I've heard anything about MiFi but after reading on the web some, it sure sounds interesting. If I got it, I could use both for my iPad as well as my wife's aging laptop. I looked at Verizon though and the monthly service charge looked very expensive. Are there any other cheaper alternatives?I personally have the Sprint MiFi and depending on your area and coverage Verizon is faster. The plans on Verizon and Sprint cost the same $59.00. If you have strong Sprint coverage and available 4G coverage this is what you want
http://mobilebusiness.sprint.com/broadband/index.html?pid=4&id9=vanity:overdrive?id9=SEM_Google_C_Sprint_Mobile_Broadband

Mr Bigs
Feb 20, 2010, 09:28 AM
I work for Verizon and IMHO the data charge per month is just absolutely rediculas... Its the same as at&t's but 60 bucks a month for 5gb cap is just insane to me. There is a lower 40 dollar plan for 250 mb but hardly any verizon will sell you the mifi on that plan.All carriers have a cap except Clear Wireless which piggyback off of Sprint.

applesupergeek
Feb 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
Pardon my interruption. I thought it said Milfs and iPad.

Carry on.

Did too, for me as well...:D

I guess we read what we need to read!:cool:

ZBoater
Feb 21, 2010, 08:20 PM
I bought the Verizon MiFi 2 weeks ago in anticipation of getting the iPad WiFi. Had an iPhone but my company issued me a BBerry, and I got tired of carrying two phones. And AT&T got too greedy with the iPhone data plan, the iPad data plan, no tethering (and extra charge for tethering when it comes out supposedly). With the MiFi I connected my Archos 5IT, my HP 2140 netbook, my PSP, my iPhone (sans SIM card) and any other WiFi device me or my wife or buddies have (up to 5 at the same time).

I have to say though, as small and convenient as it is, it is not as convenient as having a smartphone on you all the time. I miss my iPhone a bit. :rolleyes:

SteveSparks
Feb 21, 2010, 08:53 PM
If you have a computer already, all you need to do is activate it once on vz access manager. After that when you hit the power button it is just like a normal old wifi hotspot and no need for vz access manager. :)

I was wondering this myself thanks.

Niiro13
Feb 21, 2010, 08:53 PM
Unless you already have it, then get the Sprint Overdrive. Even if you don't live in a 4G city, it's still possible you might pass one during travel (then again, the Overdrive is a little more expensive than the MiFi).

But yeah, I was thinking of carrying around that and the iPad Wi-Fi, but it seemed like it would be annoying.

If you're getting it for both the iPad and maybe a laptop, then it's definitely worth it and it works!

cakbar
Feb 22, 2010, 01:25 PM
Unless you already have it, then get the Sprint Overdrive. Even if you don't live in a 4G city, it's still possible you might pass one during travel (then again, the Overdrive is a little more expensive than the MiFi).

But yeah, I was thinking of carrying around that and the iPad Wi-Fi, but it seemed like it would be annoying.

If you're getting it for both the iPad and maybe a laptop, then it's definitely worth it and it works!

The only downside I can see to getting the Overdrive over the Mifi would be the weight. You could conceivably put the Mifi into your wallet and barely notice, it is so light. However at more than twice the weight, the overdrive might start to feel a bit heavy and bulky. I've been thinking about replacing my non-Apple phone with the Mifi and using Skype with my iPod Touch (and possibly as a wifi hotspot for a future iPad), but I'm now reconsidering and will check out how the Overdrive feels next time I'm in a Sprint store. Also, since I'm in a 4G city, it really does make sense.

anthonymoody
Feb 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
If I could easily use a mifi in my home instead of cable I would consider getting one. Maybe if they had a dock allowing for enhanced coverage area. But as it is...4 hour battery life, and basically still requiring me to have in-home cable modem for my PS3/Netflix streaming, TiVo, and the like...as much as I like the math, it just doesn't work for me :(

ZBoater
Feb 22, 2010, 01:52 PM
... still requiring me to have in-home cable modem for my PS3/Netflix streaming...

Netflix streaming and the 5GB cap of the MiFi just dont mix... ;)

anthonymoody
Feb 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
Netflix streaming and the 5GB cap of the MiFi just dont mix... ;)

Ah yes true! Hadn't even factored that issue into the equation. But MAN the math would look so much more attractive if I could pull my cable modem. As it is I'm contemplating pulling cableTV after The Pacific airs...

crackbookpro
Apr 9, 2010, 10:03 AM
Can anyone can give us some reviews on using MiFi 2200 from Verizon?

I was at first going to wait for the iPad 3G, but now I may just get the MiFi.

Thanks

n0de
Apr 9, 2010, 10:17 AM
I'm using a mifi with my iPad and it works great! No issues whatsoever.

the fact that I already had a mifi pushed me from the 3g to the wifi and I have no regrets.

Nebrie
Apr 9, 2010, 10:39 AM
Pros
-No App store download cap
-Use with other devices
-In my neighborhood at least, Sprint 3g seems to have much lower latency than AT&T 3g

Cons
-$60/mo for 5gb
-takes a minute to boot and connect
-much much shorter battery life compared to the ipad
-yet another device to take along
-yet another device to charge every day

msduncan
Apr 9, 2010, 10:39 AM
My bad -- thought you meant tethering.

flynz4
Apr 9, 2010, 10:49 AM
I have a Verizon MiFi which I have been using for about a year, and which I have been using with my wife's iPad for the past week. I am still getting the 3G iPad for myself.

1) I am trying to determine if the iPad will be "good enough" as my personal machine when traveling. The jury is still out... but it will save over 1/2 of the weight over my MacBook Air.

2) If #1 turns out to be yes... then I will cancel my MiFi, and substitute $60/month with a $30/month plan.

3) I dislike having the "extra device" of the MiFi. It is better than my old solution of an aircard... but by the time you add in the extra wall charger etc... it is extra bulk that I do not want to carry.

4) I really dislike the "setup" required. I brought my iPad to work yesterday because some co-workers wanted to try it out. I had to dig out my MiFi and wall charger, crawl under my desk to plug it in. Otherwise it would have gone dead during the day. I do use the internal battery for shorter connections (such as at an airport)... but I would estimate that I plug the MiFi into the charger more than 50% of the time.

At the end of the day... I decided that the first time I am someplace with just the iPad and I want to connect... that i would be pissed at myself for not spending the extra $130. When you throw in possibility that the iPad *might* be good enough on its own... then I have the potential to save 1/2 of my aircard bills.

Finally... for those who will recommend JB of the iPhone, running a goofy app to make a hotspot... BTDT and it is the worse possible solution... for which I would gladly get a MiFi and pay the $60/month to circumvent.

/Jim

Alchematron
Apr 9, 2010, 12:14 PM
And the speed of MiFi for your area?

Thanx

hellfire88
Apr 9, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm waiting for Sprint to roll-out 4G in my area and then may get the Overdrive (4G mifi-like device).

Bodhi395
Apr 9, 2010, 12:41 PM
Cons
-$60/mo for 5gb
-takes a minute to boot and connect
-much much shorter battery life compared to the ipad
-yet another device to take along
-yet another device to charge every day

All these reasons make the MiFi not a very attractive solution to mobile internet for an ipad. Who wants another device that gets a much shorter battery life? Also, $60 a month seems way too high, considering the iPhone data plan is half that. You probably could get a palm pixi with a wifi hotspot data plan and even a voice plan for not that much more than that.

racer1441
Apr 9, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm using the mifi and iPad together and it's great.

Much better than iPad only because you can also use it on the road with your laptop, phone, and even share if you need to.

tedhogan
Apr 9, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm using Sprint Overdrive 4g right now in Chicago on my Macbook Pro. I have my iPad sitting here and it works flawlessly on that as well.

The speed is good. It seems slower than my LAN connection. But, it might be more noticeable because I am inside a building near downtown. I can't wait to try it at home.

At this point, it's fast enough to do everything I want to. So, I will be canceling cable I think. Giving Comcast the boot will feel soooooo good.

I really like the fact that I can use 3g when not in a 4g area. That's huge to me.

tedhogan
Apr 9, 2010, 01:01 PM
OK, I've moved the Overdrive to another room here at work and next to a window. The signal is now 40% (was 20%) and that makes a difference. Much snappier now.

This is really a neat little device. The charge is only good for 3 or 4 hours, but I just plug it in.

I saw someone with a MiFi when I was at drill (National Guard) and it was fantastic because five people could hook up to it and get some work done online. This is even better because of the 4G option here in Chicago. I'd say that this is really looking like a cable modem replacement. Comcast internet is around $60 per month without cable tv channels. So, for the same price as I am paying with cable I get mobility at the sacrifice of a little speed.

I have 30 days in which to return this and cancel if it doesn't work out. We'll see...

Lenow
Apr 9, 2010, 01:40 PM
I had the same debate but decided to stick with the MIFI. I use the Mifi with my MacBook and the ability to use one broadband card for both iPad and MacBook was the decisve factor. If I was only using the iPad, I would go with the 3G. I have a grandfathered plan o funlimited usage for $60/month and I could not justify the additional monthly expense for the iPad 3G. I am just still searching for the perfect ipad folio that lets me keep the Mifi card with the folio. I much prefer the folio cases (Apple, InCase, Sena) to any other style.

Good luck.

teerexx52
Apr 10, 2010, 05:46 AM
I had the same debate but decided to stick with the MIFI. I use the Mifi with my MacBook and the ability to use one broadband card for both iPad and MacBook was the decisve factor. If I was only using the iPad, I would go with the 3G. I have a grandfathered plan o funlimited usage for $60/month and I could not justify the additional monthly expense for the iPad 3G. I am just still searching for the perfect ipad folio that lets me keep the Mifi card with the folio. I much prefer the folio cases (Apple, InCase, Sena) to any other style.

Good luck.

Do you find the 5GB of date per month enough?

Nash Bridges
Apr 10, 2010, 05:50 AM
I'm using Sprint Overdrive 4g right now in Chicago on my Macbook Pro. I have my iPad sitting here and it works flawlessly on that as well.

The speed is good. It seems slower than my LAN connection. But, it might be more noticeable because I am inside a building near downtown. I can't wait to try it at home.

At this point, it's fast enough to do everything I want to. So, I will be canceling cable I think. Giving Comcast the boot will feel soooooo good.

I really like the fact that I can use 3g when not in a 4g area. That's huge to me.

How much actual 4G coverage is there within the US?

Lenow
Apr 10, 2010, 08:57 AM
Sorry, can't answer that. My plan is unlimited for $60/month.

teerexx52
Apr 10, 2010, 10:11 AM
Sorry, can't answer that. My plan is unlimited for $60/month.

How do you get unlimited for $60. Best I've seen is for 5GB from Sprint or Verizon.

supermanx
Apr 10, 2010, 11:01 AM
How do you get unlimited for $60. Best I've seen is for 5GB from Sprint or Verizon.

I'm not sure about him, but my mifi is unlimited as its part of a large business account. We have confirmed and have in writing from sprint that this is the case as it is with all our data only plans (we have quite a few as part of a yard management system).

Some of the biggest advantages are being able to move the mifi for better signal. There have been numerous hotels with crap internet that could only get a decent signal with the mifi in the window (or even on the balcony).

Mifi charges off the same cord as my blackberry and plantronics headset so I always have a cable handy.

Mifi allows my pc and the wifes pc and my daughters touch and the ipad, ect to connect when at places that dont have wifi (which outside of metro detroit is just about everywhere).

Biggest advantage for me is i dont pay for the mifi. But if I did, i would still probably go the mifi route. I have more then enough content to not need wireless all the time, and the 4 hour battery of the mifi is long enough to get me between charges.

teerexx52
Apr 10, 2010, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure about him, but my mifi is unlimited as its part of a large business account. We have confirmed and have in writing from sprint that this is the case as it is with all our data only plans (we have quite a few as part of a yard management system).

Some of the biggest advantages are being able to move the mifi for better signal. There have been numerous hotels with crap internet that could only get a decent signal with the mifi in the window (or even on the balcony).

Mifi charges off the same cord as my blackberry and plantronics headset so I always have a cable handy.

Mifi allows my pc and the wifes pc and my daughters touch and the ipad, ect to connect when at places that dont have wifi (which outside of metro detroit is just about everywhere).

Biggest advantage for me is i dont pay for the mifi. But if I did, i would still probably go the mifi route. I have more then enough content to not need wireless all the time, and the 4 hour battery of the mifi is long enough to get me between charges.

Thanks. Sounds good. I am going to check again and see if I can get unlimited.

sandydlc
Apr 10, 2010, 01:01 PM
I have the 4G Overdrive from Sprint and I love it. I verified the data plan yesterday and it is unlimited for 4G but capped at 5GB for 3G.

I actually bought my iPad while on vacation and used it with the overdrive and the wifi on the plane and performance was excellent. I used it all day for a cross country flight and even connected to 4G in Atlanta and downloaded a movie in about 15 minutes from the iTunes store. It was blazing fast. Battery on iPad was 55% at the end of the day.

One important recommendation when using the overdrive - disable WEP security and enable Mac filtering. It's actually more secure and allows you to specify the users who can access your overdrive. It also gets around any possible issues with the iPad wifi when it constantly prompts you for a password. Now that I've made this change, I'm very satisfied with my choice to go with the wifi version of the iPad. I didn't see any reason to get hit with another data plan when my overdrive can connect up to 5 users and is compatible with all of my devices. I even have my son's iPod touch set up to use my overdrive!!

Sandy

Alicia4065
Apr 10, 2010, 04:18 PM
I also have the mifi and love it since it allows be to connect up to five devices. I also use my eris android so I'm happy with my decision of wifi only.

xraydoc
Apr 10, 2010, 06:12 PM
I also have the mifi and love it since it allows be to connect up to five devices. I also use my eris android so I'm happy with my decision of wifi only.

Why would you use the MiFi on your Eris? They're both connecting to Verizon; the MiFi won't be any faster than the data connection on your phone?

I have a MiFi as well, and it's very handy for connecting laptops as well as the iPad and sharing the connection. If all I needed was the iPad, it would be one thing, but with multiple devices, it makes more sense to me to pay for only one data plan.

On top of that, I use a Motorola Droid which I've rooted (jailbroken) and installed a wifi hotspot app. I've used it with my iPad several times now. Perfect.

Alicia4065
Apr 10, 2010, 06:36 PM
I don't use my mifi on my eris, I use my eris when I don't have my mifi with me which is rarely. The eris is rooted so I tether it to the iPad.

xraydoc
Apr 10, 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't use my mifi on my eris, I use my eris when I don't have my mifi with me which is rarely. The eris is rooted so I tether it to the iPad.

Ah, sorry. Misread.

Android makes doing that stuff really easy. I love it.

gkrykewy
Apr 10, 2010, 08:01 PM
One important recommendation when using the overdrive - disable WEP security and enable Mac filtering. It's actually more secure and allows you to specify the users who can access your

How do you determine the Mac address of your iPad?

xraydoc
Apr 10, 2010, 09:27 PM
How do you determine the Mac address of your iPad?

Settings -> General -> About
Near the bottom of the list is the WiFi Address. That's the MAC address you want.

gkrykewy
Apr 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
Settings -> General -> About
Near the bottom of the list is the WiFi Address. That's the MAC address you want.

Thanks.

NJBlackBerry
Apr 11, 2010, 11:48 AM
Echo all of the other comments. I also have the unlimited business plan; in speed tests yesterday morning I was getting between 1.4 and 1.5mbps, whic is good enough!

I don't think the iPad will replace my Notebook (it has replaced an underpowered crappy Netbook, my beloved Kindle and an iPod Touch) so I will continue to carry both - and the MiFi handles multiple devices well.

racer1441
Apr 11, 2010, 12:14 PM
I'd pay good money for a combo iPad mifi case!

xraytech
Apr 12, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have another option if you a JB iPhone

PdaNet App

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

Works similar to a MiFi but you're limited to a single connection at a time. So you can't share with others.

3G4Gexpert
Apr 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
The 3G version of the iPad will be locked to AT&T's network, which doesn't even compare to the 3G coverage that Verizon has. iPad 3G owners would have to pay $30/mo for a data plan that can only be used on the iPad.

I would recommend getting a Verizon MiFi, which will provide better 3G coverage, on a more reliable 3G network. Not to mention you can connect up to 5 devices at a time to the MiFi.

3Gstore just announced a No Contract MiFi Option for iPad for only $49.95/mo

3gstore.com/lease

xraydoc
Apr 30, 2010, 06:26 PM
The 3G version of the iPad will be locked to AT&T's network, which doesn't even compare to the 3G coverage that Verizon has. iPad 3G owners would have to pay $30/mo for a data plan that can only be used on the iPad.

Not entirely true.

The iPad 3G is NOT carrier locked. But, the only GSM carrier in the US it'll run on is AT&T. T-Mobile in the US uses different frequencies.

Same iPad will work all over Europe just by popping an in appropriate SIM card.

The rest of your statement is valid, however.

barefeats
Apr 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
I use the Sprint 4G Overdrive to support two iPads, two MacBook Pros, and one iPhone 3GS. Cost per device is $12/month.

It has a GPS built-in so I can access it via Safari to "Map me" when I'm using the iPad or MBP.

Daremo
Apr 30, 2010, 06:40 PM
I LOVE my MiFi. I primarily use it in my car, so it's plugged in so I don't need to worry about the charge running out, and when it's in my bag, I just plug it into a 5000 mAh battery backup, and it's running all day. Speeds are fantastic, and I can connect up to 5 devices at a time.

srl7741
Apr 30, 2010, 06:49 PM
I use the Sprint 4G Overdrive to support two iPads, two MacBook Pros, and one iPhone 3GS. Cost per device is $12/month.

It has a GPS built-in so I can access it via Safari to "Map me" when I'm using the iPad or MBP.

This is the very reason I like the 4G MiFi idea. It's a better option with more uses. How has the battery life effected your use?

barefeats
Apr 30, 2010, 06:58 PM
This is the very reason I like the 4G MiFi idea. It's a better option with more uses. How has the battery life effected your use?

A good example is yesterday. We spent five hours out of the office using two iPads in a Starbucks, a Sushi Bar, and in a parking lot while waiting for someone to show up. In between uses, I turned off the Overdrive. When we got back to the office, the Overdrive still had 60% of the battery power left.

ScottNWDW
Apr 30, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'd pay good money for a combo iPad mifi case!

I'm using a great case from Tagus for my iPad and MiFi. The case is sold at Best Buy and it is actually a netbook case. It is the Targus Netbook City Gear mini-notebook case. It's gray and black with Target logos in a yellow color. Has a shoulder strap and compartments for the iPad, and another compartment for papers or whatever. On another part of the bag, there is a flapped pocket (the embroidered emblem looks like a PDA or cell phone) that I put the MiFi in. Alngside that is a mesh pocket suitable for power cables or headphones and there are 2 pen loops. The back of the bag has velcro closed pocket and there is another small zippered compartment on the flap.

The bag is $34.99 an was just on sale for $28.49.

StBDawg
May 1, 2010, 02:17 AM
I was seriously thinking about exchanging my 32GB iPad Wifi to get the 3G iPad but I decided to get a Verizon MiFi 2200 instead. I am so glad I went that route instead of the iPad 3G with AT&T. AT&T's 3G coverage is HORRID compared to Verizon. Google both of their coverage maps and its insane how little AT&T has 3G coverage. I'd so rather much more 3G coverage for $30 more a month. I'm hoping that Verizon will try and lure more people over and make their plan truly unlimited. That's the only thing I hate is the 5GB cap. Granted I haven't had my MiFi a whole month so I don't know if I'll ever get close to it but I still worry.

sparkstsa
May 1, 2010, 08:21 AM
I have been using the mobile hotspot on my palm pre plus and have noticed for some reason the download speeds on my ipad rarely exceeds 150k. I can check on my laptop and i get around 1.2mb. Anyone else having this problem with mifi or mobile hotspot on verizon?

BTW... checked upload speeds on the ipad and getting around 600k, the same on my laptop.

cis4life
May 2, 2010, 02:01 PM
I didn't come up with this originally. I actually saw it here on the forums earlier and thought it was a great idea. I now have a 64GB iPad 3G and everything is fine with it, but in my profession, it is VERY IMPORTANT i be able to connect anywhere I am and AT&T have dropped the ball on this in many places outside of major cities. So I picked up a MiFi from Verizon to make up for those areas where AT&T is lacking. Hook that with the Apple iPad case (via the hard case shell for the Mifi) and you have yourself the ultimate mobile computer with a very high coverage area anywhere you go.

Pics:

goobot
May 2, 2010, 02:05 PM
the only place Verizon has that att doesnt is the desert and mountains. plus if you enjoy paying for the device, twice the amount a month, slower 3g, and a contract enjoy

shady825
May 2, 2010, 02:06 PM
the only place Verizon has that att doesnt is the desert and mountains. plus if you enjoy paying for the device, twice the amount a month, slower 3g, and a contract enjoy

Or maybe he likes connecting more than one device at a time... Ever think about that?
Everyone bitches "oh it's double the price!"
for some of us the MiFi is a better deal than paying AT&T $30 for one device connecting to the Internet..

cis4life
May 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
Sorry to tell you but that is simply not true.

I PERSONALLY can tell you many places (Like North FL *Panhandle) where ATT is only a thought. The moment you move off of I10, your signal goes from somewhat shotty to straight searching and no signal.

So to clearify,
I have both services. The iPad 3G service (which I will use 90% of the time) and the mifi service when I need it.

Plus it does help to connect multiple devices at one time via the mifi

goobot
May 2, 2010, 02:09 PM
Or maybe he likes connecting more than one device at a time... Ever think about that?
Everyone bitches "oh it's double the price!"
for some of us the MiFi is a better deal than paying AT&T $30 for one device connecting to the Internet..

mywi

miles01110
May 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
How is the Mifi actually secured to the case?

shady825
May 2, 2010, 02:11 PM
mywi

Ok!? What about it??
Maybe he doesn't have an iPhone.. Maybe he does and doesn't wanna jail break it... The 3G iPad is not the solution for everyone...

How is the Mifi actually secured to the case?

I'm guessing velcro

cis4life
May 2, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have a iphone 3gs, but don't feel like jailbreaking, plus I need my battery life on my phone, so sucking it up with the 3g router isn't really an option, thus why I bought the ipad 3g (here in orlando, it works pretty good) thus why I will use the 3g service of it 90% of the time, but when I have to travel north (North Florida), past Gainesville, ATT is really a hit and miss, but verizon works great (thus the reason for the mifi)

Its attached to the mifi via a STRONG velcro (actually interlocking type of velcro)

goobot
May 2, 2010, 02:15 PM
Ok!? What about it??
Maybe he doesn't have an iPhone.. Maybe he does and doesn't wanna jail break it... The 3G iPad is not the solution for everyone...

who said anything about a iphone? install mywi to the ipad itself. and hitting "jailbreak" on a program aint hard. plus if mywi is the only thing he would install it wouldnt slow down the ipad at all.

TraceyS/FL
May 2, 2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry to tell you but that is simply not true.

I PERSONALLY can tell you many places (Like North FL *Panhandle) where ATT is only a thought. The moment you move off of I10, your signal goes from somewhat shotty to straight searching and no signal.

So to clearify,
I have both services. The iPad 3G service (which I will use 90% of the time) and the mifi service when I need it.

Plus it does help to connect multiple devices at one time via the mifi

I will never forget getting off I-10 in the panhandle for dinner with my nextel phone and losing all signal on our move to FL. Nevermind the parts in Texas it didn't work, like when the suburban blew a belt, but yet my FIL was ok with verizon. The nextel experiment showed me why i'd been with verizon all those years. Back with them now!

And as a CA native, that would be the San Bernadino freeway :D

cis4life
May 2, 2010, 02:18 PM
I guess you are right about that,

I'm just not into the whole jailbreaking cat and mouse game. I like to use new features and fixes as apple release them and not have to wait till the JB community has a new version of the JB for the new firmware of the iphone or ipad.

Its just me

goobot
May 2, 2010, 02:21 PM
I guess you are right about that,

I'm just not into the whole jailbreaking cat and mouse game. I like to use new features and fixes as apple release them and not have to wait till the JB community has a new version of the JB for the new firmware of the iphone or ipad.

Its just me

do you have a mac?

mpuck972
May 2, 2010, 02:26 PM
Anyone who thinks that AT&T's service covers more areas then Verizon's must be living under a rock.

goobot
May 2, 2010, 02:28 PM
Anyone who thinks that AT&T's service covers more areas then Verizon's must be living under a rock.

is that why in my school and house att gets 5 bars a Verizon 0?

Cricketman
May 2, 2010, 02:29 PM
Why didn't you just go with the Wifi Model + MiFi?

goobot
May 2, 2010, 02:31 PM
I have a iphone 3gs, but don't feel like jailbreaking, plus I need my battery life on my phone, so sucking it up with the 3g router isn't really an option, thus why I bought the ipad 3g (here in orlando, it works pretty good) thus why I will use the 3g service of it 90% of the time, but when I have to travel north (North Florida), past Gainesville, ATT is really a hit and miss, but verizon works great (thus the reason for the mifi)

Its attached to the mifi via a STRONG velcro (actually interlocking type of velcro)

ah ok.

illutionz
May 2, 2010, 02:32 PM
is that why in my school and house att gets 5 bars a Verizon 0?

Look, coverage is relative... I get GREAT T-mobile coverage at home and at work... My friend in california gets 0-1 bar at his house in San Diego.

I also get 5 bars with AT&T but my friend in Virginia swears that he would never uses AT&T ever again.

Another friend in Virginia gets 5 bars with Sprint but I get 2 bars at home and max of 3 bars at work.

What's great for you doesn't mean it's great for others and vice versa.
However, looking at the big picture, Verizon does cover more areas in the United States under 3G compared to AT&T... that's just the hard truth and even if it's "desert and mountains" (your words not mine) it's still landmass of United States and there are some people who chose to live in rural areas.

mizzoucat
May 2, 2010, 02:41 PM
Why didn't you just go with the Wifi Model + MiFi?

What he said. Spending $1100 a year just to have coverage when you are not around wifi is plain retarded.

goobot
May 2, 2010, 02:43 PM
Look, coverage is relative... I get GREAT T-mobile coverage at home and at work... My friend in california gets 0-1 bar at his house in San Diego.

I also get 5 bars with AT&T but my friend in Virginia swears that he would never uses AT&T ever again.

Another friend in Virginia gets 5 bars with Sprint but I get 2 bars at home and max of 3 bars at work.

What's great for you doesn't mean it's great for others and vice versa.
However, looking at the big picture, Verizon does cover more areas in the United States under 3G compared to AT&T... that's just the hard truth and even if it's "desert and mountains" (your words not mine) it's still landmass of United States and there are some people who chose to live in rural areas.

yes i know i just feel like unless you are that small% why bother with it?

sectime
May 2, 2010, 02:53 PM
What he said. Spending $1100 a year just to have coverage when you are not around wifi is plain retarded.
Yea if you work a double shift making fries otherwise what freaking business is it of you retarded posters??:cool:

cis4life
May 2, 2010, 02:56 PM
@ goobot: Yes I do have a mac (MBP late 09)

@mizzoucat: Maybe its retarded to you, but it works for me. Like I said, when I have my AT&T 3G connection up and running, I love it and don't mind paying for it. But my profession, I have to be able to connect at all times, and verizon allows me to do so in more places where AT&T is weak or just don't exist.

The point of the iPad is so that I don't have to carry my MBP with me, and thus can leave it home connected to my monitor and I can use it for what it was intended for (a development machine) The ipad is allowing me to lighten my weight and do about 90% of the things I was doing on my MPB in a much tighter, lighter package. To me this isn't retarded, its great for me and works smoothly.

iserian
May 2, 2010, 03:03 PM
What is the point of putting your mifi in a case? My mifi's get nice and hot during extended use.

mizzoucat
May 2, 2010, 03:09 PM
Yea if you work a double shift making fries otherwise what freaking business is it of you retarded posters??:cool:

Why does spending money unnecessarily have anything to do with how much money one makes? The point is he could just use the MyFi for $60 per month and have coverage "everywhere" versus spending $90 per month for MyFi plus the AT&T data plan.

Mactagonist
May 2, 2010, 03:14 PM
Why does spending money unnecessarily have anything to do with how much money one makes? The point is he could just use the MyFi for $60 per month and have coverage "everywhere" versus spending $90 per month for MyFi plus the AT&T data plan.

Exactly. Waste is waste regardless of how much money you have rolling in.

Unless someone here can name a place AT&T offers 3G coverage that verizon doesn't?

iserian
May 2, 2010, 03:22 PM
Exactly. Waste is waste regardless of how much money you have rolling in.

Unless someone here can name a place AT&T offers 3G coverage that verizon doesn't?

Yes maybe a bit odd in terms of having to wait an extra month for the 3G and then getting the mifi to boot. I went with wifi's knowing I would use my mifi's.

Only advantages I can see of having 3G is not having to carry around the mifi - but in the op's case if he must have coverage 24/7 he will be forced to carry the mifi.

RoarinRow
May 3, 2010, 08:37 PM
Just got my MiFi 2372 today from a seller on eBay. The unit is unlocked. I just popped my AT&T iPhone SIM card, configured the security settings and I was connected in minutes.

The trick was to use wap.cingular for the APN and leave everything else blank.

My speed test was about 1.5 Mbps download and about 1.2 Mbps upload. I connected my iPad, 2 iPhones, my MBP, and HP laptop connected no problem. My HP laptop is my work laptop and I can VPN just fine.

As far as cases I am still waiting for my Exo case from Waterfield. I already have the small horizontal bag that attaches to the strap of the Exo sleeve.

MacToddB
May 4, 2010, 08:29 AM
Just saw this... Novatel MiFi recalled because of battery concerns.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/bell-novatel-mifi-2372-deemed-unsafe-for-human-use-recalled/

Nipz
May 4, 2010, 08:54 AM
Just got my 3 Mifi in the uk and damn it's fast!!

Getting 1.4 up and down!

5 for 1Gb is an awesome deal too!

RoarinRow
May 4, 2010, 11:16 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/bell-novatel-mifi-2372-deemed-unsafe-for-human-use-recalled/

Ahhhh that sucks! I sent them an email to get instructions on returning the unit for a new battery and cover. The cover requires some elbow grease to take off.

StBDawg
May 4, 2010, 04:23 PM
This is why I use a Verizon MiFi with my Wifi iPad.

http://www.ppcgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/VZ_vs_ATT_3G_coverage.jpg

I use my iPad in Southeastern Indiana a lot and AT&T doesn't have 3G there where Verizon has full strength 3G in the same place.

Its not just deserts and mountains that AT&T doesn't have 3G......

RoarinRow
May 10, 2010, 01:53 PM

I just spoke with Jay over at Novatel and their current stance is that the subscriber should go back to their carrier for an exchange (for US customers). However, they are currently working with a distributor that can handle the exchange process for the US customers. They should have something in place this Summer.

For Bell and Rogers Canadian customers, then already have a system in place where they will send you a pre-paid envelope to send back just the battery and battery case.