Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
I'm sorry, but i dont think this should be in the Mac Pro/ PowerMac forum. Put that stuff in some other catergory.

If it was up to me I wouldnt allow it period. Just like roms or pirated software talk. If there was any other pirated software discussion it would not be ok.

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Hicksville, US of A Baby!!!!!!
I can't remember Apple's EULA....

Is hackintosh illegal in the sense it's criminal or is it just "breaking" their EULA and a civil matter?

Yes, there is a difference. Civil matters are not considered criminal so it is not against the law in the traditional sense as say... going to an Apple Store and stealing an iPod Touch or any store and taking something w/o paying for it.. that is considered criminal as in the state says you broke the law and are "criminal."

Civil is between two persons or bodies or a person and a body and not considered illegal by the state or federal courts so it isn't criminal and no laws were broken..

EULA isn't LAW; it's just guidelines Apple or whomever the companies EULA is in this instance, it's guidelines/rules for you to follow and they expect you'd honor it.

However, in some cases EULA has been contested and treated as law wherein those said states have rules that written documents can be treated and covered by law in which case you would be criminal and it would be illegal.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I can't remember Apple's EULA....

Is hackintosh illegal in the sense it's criminal or is it just "breaking" their EULA and a civil matter?

Yes, there is a difference. Civil matters are not considered criminal so it is not against the law in the traditional sense as say... going to an Apple Store and stealing an iPod Touch or any store and taking something w/o paying for it.. that is considered criminal as in the state says you broke the law and are "criminal."

Civil is between two persons or bodies or a person and a body and not considered illegal by the state or federal courts so it isn't criminal and no laws were broken..

EULA isn't LAW; it's just guidelines Apple or whomever the companies EULA is in this instance, it's guidelines/rules for you to follow and they expect you'd honor it.

However, in some cases EULA has been contested and treated as law wherein those said states have rules that written documents can be treated and covered by law in which case you would be criminal and it would be illegal.

EULA is a contract. That contract says that you agree to use the OSX only on Apple-branded computers. Breach that contract and Apple can sue you for copyright violation. The basis is US Copyright code.

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
But it still may fall under "civil" matters of liability and not criminal so it may not be an actual crime or ILLEGAL for what that word means.

Not all copyright violations are illegal crimes.. some remain civil....

They may be trying to change that slowly but as of now it's not all criminal or illegal in that sense it's civil law meaning if Apple chooses they could sue you but if they don't know then well.. they can't and the FBI won't be throwing you in prison for it.....

Not that I care to do a hackintosh but many friends in other forums; not personal friends I hang with or know personally, said to make a hackintosh.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'm sorry, but i dont think this should be in the Mac Pro/ PowerMac forum. Put that stuff in some other catergory.

If it was up to me I wouldnt allow it period. Just like roms or pirated software talk. If there was any other pirated software discussion it would not be ok.

Fortunately, putting together a hackintosh doesn't require any pirated software at all.

Also, the Mac that a hackintosh is most like (in terms of upgradeability) is the Mac Pro – it'd make little sense to stick a topic about one in the forum for the iPad or the MacBook Pro/MacBook forum.

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
I personally find them a waste and if you want the OS, buy their computers to get it, what is so hard or wrong about doing that.

And maybe the laws were changed or updated in this case and breaking Apple's EULA; could be covered, and in this case a state or federal crime....

But if the state or federal courts don't say you broke the "law" they go by state/federal laws not civil usually, those are contested and held in civil courts so even if a civil case/suit is against you according to the state you are still not a criminal as you didn't break a state law.... but again maybe Apple's EULA in particular is covered by state/federal laws so it IS criminal then in fact...

I don't know for sure currently and never said whole heartedly it was or wasn't just explaining it might not be "illegal" or criminally illegal, cause when most people hear illegal they think typical illegality such as warrants jail/prison time.

If Apple in this case wins a civil suit against you but you don't honor the "punishment" then I believe for sure; if their EULA is still considered civil law, then they can bring you to criminal courts...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
arn has stated that hackintosh discussion is ok as long as piracy discussion is not present
And maybe the laws were changed or updated in this case and breaking Apple's EULA; could be covered, and in this case a state or federal crime....
lol
Fortunately, putting together a hackintosh doesn't require any pirated software at all.
yup, i paid for osx

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
But it still may fall under "civil" matters of liability and not criminal so it may not be an actual crime or ILLEGAL for what that word means.

Not all copyright violations are illegal crimes.. some remain civil....

They may be trying to change that slowly but as of now it's not all criminal or illegal in that sense it's civil law meaning if Apple chooses they could sue you but if they don't know then well.. they can't and the FBI won't be throwing you in prison for it.....

Not that I care to do a hackintosh but many friends in other forums; not personal friends I hang with or know personally, said to make a hackintosh.
Of course it's illegal. It's a violation of US copyright law. There's nothing criminal about it. Copyright violation is a civil matter. You won't be arrested for building a hackintosh, but it's illegal and Apple could sue you.

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
you wanting company clause to equal a federal crime

jeebus:cool:

Uh... NO... maybe go back and re-read what I said....

I never said I wanted it to be a state/federal crime.

I was saying it is most likely civil not criminal so for all intents and purposes of the word illegal and what most think of when they hear it... a hackintosh is not a criminal offense but a civil one...

I then later stated; unless laws changed and they could have as Criminal law/justice was only my minor and I got out of school for it years ago and haven't kept up too much lol, it may be considered a criminal offense... but apparently it is still civil...

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
It's illegal against civil matter but most people I know that hear illegal think illegal in the sense of Grand theft auto, or murder or rape... state and federal laws.. that's why I put illegal in quotes and explained it as such....

But yes it is still illegal but civilly illegal not criminally illegal.....

and now DMCA and it's addendums have made some copyright violation federal offenses so they'd be criminal not civil. Such as backing up DVDs you own... is a felony now due to a ruling in April 09. But the verdict is oddly worded but still prohibits the action.... the art or actual process itself of backing up a disc you own isn't illegal, the final copy resulting from the back-up isn't illegal but the software used to break the protection so you could do that IS... so that's where the felony charges start....

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Oh gawwwd. The Macintosh vs Hackintosh thread emerges it's face to the surface again. Hold on guys, lemmie grab some popcorn! :rolleyes:

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Well in a way it would be nice to have a separate section for "Hackintosh" so users can easily find one another and answer each others questions.

However there are dedicated sites out there for hackintosh where the community is more accepting of this 'illegal' activity :D

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
Well in a way it would be nice to have a separate section for "Hackintosh" so users can easily find one another and answer each others questions.

However there are dedicated sites out there for hackintosh where the community is more accepting of this 'illegal' activity :D

My point exactly.

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I guess it's a good thing it isn't up to you.

Do you also have issues with people who are not the same religion as you? Or drive a different kind of car?

You really went over the line there man. The OP was talking about ILLEGAL hackintosh computers, not religion. How in the world can you compare the two things? Seriously, I'd like to know. Because that kind of thinking will get you into trouble in the real world.

soup4you2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I find it kind of interesting that some people will complain about breaking the EULA with a hackintosh, but they will go ahead and jailbreak their iphones.

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Like I said in a previous post, I haven't read their EULA in a long time so not sure how it's written and to what it applies but is jail-breaking an iPhone breaking EULA too or does Apple basically say in an unwritten/spoken manner, go ahead if you want too but we won't support you or help you if it messes up.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
I find it kind of interesting that some people will complain about breaking the EULA with a hackintosh, but they will go ahead and jailbreak their iphones.

THIS.

They are basically the same.

People just love to whine about something.

Most people that get pissed about a hackintosh probably just couldn't figure it out for themselves. :p

I had OSX up and running on my dell laptop, but trying to get everything to work properly got annoying and frustrating.

So... I bought the new quad core iMac.

dava4444

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
okay so, er, just throwing this out there (and i know it's an old-ish thread)
but this is what i think is 'fair' YMMV

an Intel Mac plus 3 G3's, or an Intel Mac plus 2 G4's, or two Intel Mac equals = 1 Vanilla Hackintosh via purchased disc and special boot-loader.

iPad/iPhone 3G upwards = Intel Mac

iPhone 2G = G4

peacefully suggested :)

I have a Macbook, and my fiancée has one, i had a G4 PM but i thought i would use the case for a project...two and a half years later,..it did not go well, lol but ye gotta laugh.

man I'm goiny miss my macbook, it's going to my step-son for uni, been tempted to make a hackintosh, but man that's not cool, i won't even own one Mac soon, nevermind two Intel ones :(

peace

Dava

(any spelling mistakes, are not, they are a suggestion that I am Scottish :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.