Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kurrosh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Hey,

I wasn't sure where else to post it, but it seems relevant to the "Home Theater" section of this thread.

I want to stream movies, normal and HD to my PS3 but there is no way I can connect them to my router using ethernet. Is there any way to get it so it runs better, as over WiFi it tends to be slow and needs to load every minute or so. The router/any internet plug in the wall are in other rooms, well away from my PS3. My computer is an iMac 24" 3.06ghz and is close to the PS3 (if that helps in someway :p).

Thanks

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
What software are you using to stream the video content? Also, is the router 802.11n or b/g? The ps3, of course, is b/g but an n connection from the imac may help things. I'm using ps3 media server streaming HD content recorded using eyetv from a mac mini to the ps3. I have found that if both are on wifi, it does get a bit jittery, but as long as the mini is connected to the router via ethernet the wireless jump to the ps3 doesn't cause any problems. Your milage may vary, but it may help to have at least one device hooked up with ethernet or have the imac connected through 802.11n.

Kurrosh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Hm, yeah it's b/g and not connected to ethernet. I may try that using a macbook and see if that helps, it's just a little bit of a hassle :p.
I use PS3 Media Server to stream, mainly because it's free :) if you think EyeTV may improve it i'll consider buying that :)

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
I use EyeTV to record digital over the air broadcast. I then use ps3 media server to stream the recordings to the PS3, so no need to buy EyeTV unless you are looking for DVR functionality.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I've created a thread called How-To for PS3 that addresses some of your concerns. To make the long story short, I've given up on streaming over WiFi (gigabit ethernet should be much better, if you can wire it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.