PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Will you buy the iPad Case?

RR08EvoX
Feb 27, 2010, 09:35 AM
Simple, 4 question poll. Please choose the option that best fits your thoughts about buying an iPad case.

*Information and pictures regarding the iPad case are located towards the bottom of this page on Apples site: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

pvmacguy
Feb 27, 2010, 09:47 AM
I will purchase a nice sleeve when they become available by someone. The apple case is just too odd/bulky looking and plus its $$$.

melman101
Feb 27, 2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah I'm gonna buy the Apple Case + the Dock on launch day.

mrklaw
Feb 27, 2010, 11:08 AM
not buying anything for it yet. I like my apple gear naked, after all that effort Mr. Ives put into it. Although if I find it slipping and sliding off my legs I might get a neoprene type sleeve for it, just to make it a little stickier, and to stop it marking/scratching my coffee table

I like the idea of the Apple case, but the execution looks cheap and nasty. I expect the usual 3rd party suspects to copy and improve on the case/stand concept in the next few months.

Is there anything like this for the ipod touch? I use that on trains/planes a lot and would like something that'll make it stand up when watching a movie.

bobob
Feb 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
I like the idea of the Apple case, but the execution looks cheap and nasty.

I agree - - I'm going to have to see what that sharp edge weld feels like in person before I consider buying one, but the overall design seems good.

goobot
Feb 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
where is the "not buying a case" option?

bossxii
Feb 27, 2010, 11:24 AM

+1

I haven't had a case on any of my iPhone's and won't be using on on the iPad.

Astro8973
Feb 27, 2010, 01:41 PM
I will eventually buy a case. I don't know if I will when I pick up my iPad on launch day though. I really need to see/feel apple's case before spending $40 on it. It looks kind of cheap in the pictures. :/

AceFernalld
Feb 27, 2010, 01:50 PM
Apple Case + Apple Dock + $150 in iTunes + 64GB iPad (w/o 3G)

mac jones
Feb 27, 2010, 01:58 PM
There are going to be so many cases and stands for this thing it will make your head spin

thejakill
Feb 27, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm interested in the m-edge lattitude case, but just as a case to carry it in. When I use my ipad, I want it to be naked!

d0mth0ma5
Feb 27, 2010, 02:23 PM

That would be the "No, I will not buy the Apple Branded iPad Case" option. If you are going to buy a 3rd party one you would choose "No, I plan on buying a third party iPad case".

RR08EvoX
Feb 27, 2010, 02:37 PM
^ lol, thanks for clarifying that for him/her

wyneken
Feb 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
For me the attraction of the case is its ability to prop up the iPad in a way that makes it easier to look at the screen without holding the device in your hand. I'm thinking this might be especially helpful if one chooses to use the Apple bluetooth keyboard.

That said, I'm certainly open to 3rd-party alternatives.

mac jones
Feb 27, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm going to want a number of case i know that. I'm a case nut (Or a nut case...not sure which)

bobob
Feb 27, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'm going to want a number of case i know that. I'm a case nut (Or a nut case...not sure which)

lol!

pimentoLoaf
Feb 27, 2010, 05:38 PM
64gb non-3g iPad + Apple Case + keyboard dock + camera plug

lPHONE
Feb 27, 2010, 06:08 PM
where is the "not buying a case" option?ditto.

Epic Fail.

JonHimself
Feb 27, 2010, 06:46 PM
ditto.

Epic Fail.

Hyperbole FTW.

I'm not sure which is more entertaining, the use of the phrase in this situation or the use of phrase 6 posts after the issue was already addressed/answered.

SchneiderMan
Feb 27, 2010, 08:00 PM
No, i'll probably get something better. Im not liking Apple cases.

admanimal
Feb 27, 2010, 08:42 PM
There should be an "I'll decide whether to buy the Apple case when I see it in person" option.

bobob
Feb 28, 2010, 05:40 AM
Hyperbole FTW.

I'm not sure which is more entertaining, the use of the phrase in this situation or the use of phrase 6 posts after the issue was already addressed/answered.

If you consider smug mockery to be a means of answering/addressing an issue, then you're correct.

The OP has said this was intended as a simple poll focused on whether people will be buying the Apple branded iPad case. A couple of posters have pointed out that they would have liked a poll option for no case at all. Another suggested an option for deciding after seeing it. If anything, I would say that these suggestions are a compliment to the OP, because they see the value in this poll, but are offering refinements which would have made it even better.

At any rate, they are much more constructive posts in comparison to your condescending post which simply attempts to impotently 'pile on', while not adding anything of relevance to the topic at hand.

johndango
Feb 28, 2010, 05:48 AM
I don't understand the concept of buying a sexy device and then putting it in a clunky case. No case plz. Thanks. Just gotta be careful. I don't think I will be mountain climbing AND trying to e-read on the iPad on the same time too often.

Jaro65
Feb 28, 2010, 12:59 PM
I like the fact that the Apple case makes it possible to prop the iPad up. This should be quite convenient for typing. I'll either buy the Apple case, or look at something similar from another manufacturer.

admanimal
Feb 28, 2010, 01:01 PM
I like the fact that the Apple case makes it possible to prop the iPad up. This should be quite convenient for typing. I'll either buy the Apple case, or look at something similar from another manufacturer.

This is why I'm interested in a case, too. I keep my iPhone naked and would generally prefer to do the same with the iPad, but it seems like a properly designed case might improve the ergonomics of using it in certain situations.

d0mth0ma5
Feb 28, 2010, 06:26 PM
If you consider smug mockery to be a means of answering/addressing an issue, then you're correct.

Can't tell, were you accusing me of smug mockery or JonHimself? I was merely pointing out that the option that some people wished was on the poll was in fact on the poll, although not in the most clear manner. If you you think THAT was smug mockery then you are incorrect.

johnmoorejohn
Feb 28, 2010, 06:49 PM
Is there any description of the apple case? I can not even tell what material it is made out of. Is it a hard material? Leathery? vinyl? Plastic?

FlashHead
Feb 28, 2010, 06:57 PM
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipad-case/

From ilounge.com

Apple iPad Case

By Jeremy Horwitz
Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Category:

Designed by Apple, the first case for the iPad is called simply the iPad Case ($39), and is a relatively bare-bones design: using a protective lid (which, note to case makers, we're not enthusiastic about) that folds around the back to become a prop-up video stand, the case is made from vinyl-like PVC plastic and has a microfiber interior. It's designed to provide access to the device's side buttons, headphone port, and so on, only exposing the screen when you want to flip the lid open. It looks and feels somewhat cheaper than any prior Apple-designed case for an iPod, but it's not terrible.

http://static.arstechnica.com//ipadhandson//ipadhandson_ars19.jpg
http://static.arstechnica.com//ipadhandson//ipadhandson_ars17.jpg
http://static.arstechnica.com//ipadhandson//ipadhandson_ars18.jpg
http://static.arstechnica.com//ipadhandson//ipadhandson_ars20.jpg

SteveSparks
Feb 28, 2010, 09:14 PM
Its looks very cool, I will likely have more than 1 case.

johndango
Feb 28, 2010, 10:11 PM
Still think it makes the device to un-sexy. I pay a premium for a sexy device. You don't get breast implants and then just wear turtle neck sweaters.

JonHimself
Mar 1, 2010, 12:51 AM
...At any rate, they are much more constructive posts in comparison to your condescending post which simply attempts to impotently 'pile on', while not adding anything of relevance to the topic at hand.

Because posting something that has already been mentioned and addressed does add something? or because posting Epic Fail has some kind of constructive value?

Can't tell, were you accusing me of smug mockery or JonHimself?

That'd be me. No worries ;)

melman101
Mar 1, 2010, 03:01 AM
I would love to keep my iPad "naked" but the fact is I don't want to put a 10" screen protector on it. Imagine the bubbles! :-). So I figure

a. The case will protect the screen when not in use.
b. The case will protect the aluminum back when not in use.
c. The case doubles as a portrait/landscape stand :-).

So to me, seems like a great value.

greygray
Mar 1, 2010, 04:15 AM
No, I won't be buying one. It looks flimsy.

d0mth0ma5
Mar 1, 2010, 04:16 PM
No, I won't be buying one. It looks flimsy.

Physically flimsy? Please show me the picture/video that has led you to this conclusion. Not that I have any concrete proof that it won't be, I haven't touched one, nor have many (any?!) people on here.

anee21
Mar 4, 2010, 06:52 AM
Here is an interesting website I came across on the Internet where you can actually have fun designing your own iPad case. Go to their idea stream.:D It is fun going out there.. http://shanzaistudios.com/operation-tbd/othersideas ;)

ScrewTheDaisies
Mar 4, 2010, 07:17 AM
This is why I'm interested in a case, too. I keep my iPhone naked and would generally prefer to do the same with the iPad, but it seems like a properly designed case might improve the ergonomics of using it in certain situations.

I'm planning on using this to prop it up when I use the keyboard or whatever. Nearly broke the bank buying it. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RO7QCE/ref=oss_product

cjbryce
Mar 4, 2010, 07:19 AM
I'm not overly keen on vendor logos on anything that you pay for and wear or carry around - I've always taken the view they should pay me for advertising their wares if they want to brand like that:D

Slightly more seriously, I think there are a few better (for me) designs around already that would be of more interest (to me).

bobob
Mar 4, 2010, 07:22 AM
I'm planning on using this to prop it up when I use the keyboard or whatever. Nearly broke the bank buying it. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RO7QCE/ref=oss_product

Nice find!

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/8c/6/AAAAC8xRaoYAAAAAAIxhBQ.jpg

MrFrodo
Mar 4, 2010, 08:04 AM
I will buy a Piel Frama case. They confirmed to me that they will have one available as soon as the iPad will be for sale. I have a Piel Frama case for my iPhone and I love it - it's elegant and protects the iPhone very well!

Mobility Factor
Mar 4, 2010, 09:54 AM
Just checked out your link I would like to try out my own fancy design!!
Here is an interesting website I came across on the Internet where you can actually have fun designing your own iPad case. Go to their idea stream.:D It is fun going out there.. http://shanzaistudios.com/operation-tbd/othersideas ;)

WhySoSerious
Mar 4, 2010, 10:41 AM

The OP has said this was intended as a simple poll focused on whether people will be buying the Apple branded iPad case. A couple of posters have pointed out that they would have liked a poll option for no case at all. Another suggested an option for deciding after seeing it. If anything, I would say that these suggestions are a compliment to the OP, because they see the value in this poll, but are offering refinements which would have made it even better.

At any rate, they are much more constructive posts in comparison to your condescending post which simply attempts to impotently 'pile on', while not adding anything of relevance to the topic at hand.

+1