PDA

View Full Version : Dvorak Crucifies iMac

dswoodley
Sep 1, 2004, 11:31 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet

http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/iwon-com/news-story.asp?guid={018911FB-C940-44D5-A3C0-97B31418B766}

Personally, i think the only thing Dvorak does is scream how tragically unhip he is...http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/iwon-com/news-story.asp?guid={018911FB-C940-44D5-A3C0-97B31418B766}

friarbayliff
Sep 1, 2004, 11:46 PM
Sheesh, that was a little caustic. Man, I usually love Dvorak's columns :(

stoid
Sep 2, 2004, 12:13 AM
"Who needs to carry 10,000 songs with them at all times?" -Dvorak

Apparently over half of the people that get an mp3 player, that's who. Apparently more kids than want any other present this Christmas.

Elan0204
Sep 2, 2004, 12:14 AM
What a bad article. All he does is critizie the keynote and Apple's marketing strategy. He hardly even mentions the new iMac G5. I'm all for well constructed, supported criticism of Apple, but that article was a worthless.

dswoodley
Sep 2, 2004, 12:17 AM
what pisses me off the most is his complaint about how all the cords are in the back of the machine??? WTF???? I'm pretty sure that is how the are on all computers.

Did Enderle kill the real Dvorak?

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 2, 2004, 12:33 AM
i'm pretty much with him on everything he said. sorry to say it, but he's right. apple is losing focus of it's priorities as it milks the ipod mania for all it's worth, while innovating very little in that market. The choice of only white is also extremely annoying, I have to buy a new set of non-apple headphones with every iPod so i don't look like every other @$$ walking around with white earbuds. some people really love the attention they get from their gadgets, i personally feel a personality is a better route. they still have yet to incorporate optical in/out, or anything of significance since they introduced the iPod. Apple should buy iRiver IMO. the blunder that is the iMac G5 i won't get into, but I really do not see this as being very successful due to it's lack of character and awkward design, but I will need to see one in person before i can just write it off. maybe it's just because the iPod team designed it, and i hate the look of the iPod?

dswoodley
Sep 2, 2004, 12:37 AM
i'm pretty much with him on everything he said. sorry to say it, but he's right. apple is losing focus of it's priorities as it milks the ipod mania for all it's worth, while innovating very little in that market. The choice of only white is also extremely annoying, I have to buy a new set of non-apple headphones with every iPod so i don't look like every other @$$ walking around with white earbuds. some people really love the attention they get from their gadgets, i personally feel a personality is a better route. they still have yet to incorporate optical in/out, or anything of significance since they introduced the iPod. Apple should buy iRiver IMO. the blunder that is the iMac G5 i won't get into, but I really do not see this as being very successful due to it's lack of character and awkward design, but I will need to see one in person before i can just write it off. maybe it's just because the iPod team designed it, and i hate the look of the iPod?

I guess I am not following. You are mad because Apple made a trendy product?

time will tell, but I am predicting Apple sells or takes orders over 250,000 by the end of Q4

dotnina
Sep 2, 2004, 12:44 AM
Dvorak just sounds mean!

Schiller spent a lot of time bragging about Apple's 59 percent market share in the MP3 player market. Is this something to be proud of?

Um, yes? It kinda is, don't know where you've been all this time.

The Apple design team was obviously held to this design by edict, since the result is hardly jazzy or interesting. What's worse, the engineering required that all of the USB, audio, Ethernet and modem connectors (10 of them, not including the power line) are awkwardly and inconveniently placed on the back of the bulky monitor-computer.

I think he's factually wrong when he says this; aren't all the ports on the SIDE? It sure looks like it.

And this was just plain rude:

Schiller, wearing an ill-fitting 1950s-style blue shirt buttoned high ...

Flowbee
Sep 2, 2004, 12:48 AM
The reason he writes stuff like this is because he knows it will generate a ton of hits and emails. And that's the only way he can prove to his publisher how popular and important he is.

electric
Sep 2, 2004, 12:50 AM
I wont even qualify his articles by reading them. Was he not the one that rang the death bells for Apple a while back?

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 2, 2004, 12:59 AM
I guess I am not following. You are mad because Apple made a trendy product?

time will tell, but I am predicting Apple sells or takes orders over 250,000 by the end of Q4basically. don't get me wrong, i love my ipod (1st gen). since i've had it tho, the ipod hasn't gone very far other than increased storage. i like many of iRiver's features, but they have a POS interface and poor product design. if you merged the two you would have the best of both worlds IMO.

i am mad because apple offers NO options. you either get a white/chrome ipod, or you don't get an ipod. you either use apple's white ear buds or get your own (which is better option anyways since you'll get better sound). they offer NO choice, with any of their products really (you either use Aqua or you use a haxie and theme it, 1 button mouse or 3rd party, aluminum or nothing, their system font and system icons or haxie, etc, etc).

i had switched to apple under the assumption that OS X was still in it's infancy and true user customization would follow once it was stable (this was during 10.1). 10.2 came around with performance, but no customization, 10.3 same thing, 10.4 i'm not holding my breath.

in order to continue to grow and prosper (which apple seems to be doing quite well these days) they need to CONTINUE to innovate, not allow their products to stagnate while the competition catches up (which for some reason it has failed to do as one company after another releases horrendous Apple imitations).

i'm mad at apple for not continuing to wow me.

sorryiwasdreami
Sep 2, 2004, 12:59 AM
It always seems the most brilliant inventions are criticised like this, especially in art and music. And for me the iMac is art. As soon as someone does something revolutionary, unthought of, and new, it questions the way people live their lives. This generates hostility.

There's bound to be even more critisim on the way.

Frump
Sep 2, 2004, 02:28 AM
:) First off, attacking another persons dress sense is not the best way to start when your intention is to be objective.
"the computer blends in with the background" I think that's the point!
"all the cables connect at the back of the computer" I am not sure what he is trying to say with this statement but it applies to about 99% of all computers.
Some have connections on the side (laptops) and the back. The purpose of this computer is to make people who buy Ipod's also buy the new Imac.
This is also another weird concept that is called marketing. This is obviously still a foreign concept to Mr. Davorack.
The design is by no means new and ground breaking but I think it is the most obvious next step.

Frump.

stoid
Sep 2, 2004, 02:39 AM
I did find Shiller's appearance to be eerily Balmer-like. More hair and less sweat...... :eek:

JFreak
Sep 2, 2004, 02:44 AM
i'm pretty much with him on everything he said. sorry to say it, but he's right. apple is losing focus of it's priorities as it milks the ipod mania for all it's worth, while innovating very little in that market.

i have to disagree - apple computers and macintosh operating system has been evolving a lot lately, so you cannot argue that apple has lost focus on their core business. the hype around ipod is a great thing to DRAW ATTENTION to the company and its products, and over time, if ipod keeps its market share, more people know about apple computers and macintosh operating system, and want to buy one.

JFreak
Sep 2, 2004, 02:46 AM
The reason he writes stuff like this is because he knows it will generate a ton of hits and emails. And that's the only way he can prove to his publisher how popular and important he is.

yep. maybe he has had a stressful phone call from the publisher lately? :D

JFreak
Sep 2, 2004, 02:50 AM
basically. don't get me wrong, i love my ipod (1st gen). since i've had it tho, the ipod hasn't gone very far other than increased storage. i like many of iRiver's features, but they have a POS interface and poor product design. if you merged the two you would have the best of both worlds IMO.

i am mad because apple offers NO options. you either get a white/chrome ipod, or you don't get an ipod. you either use apple's white ear buds or get your own (which is better option anyways since you'll get better sound). they offer NO choice, with any of their products really (you either use Aqua or you use a haxie and theme it, 1 button mouse or 3rd party, aluminum or nothing, their system font and system icons or haxie, etc, etc).

i had switched to apple under the assumption that OS X was still in it's infancy and true user customization would follow once it was stable (this was during 10.1). 10.2 came around with performance, but no customization, 10.3 same thing, 10.4 i'm not holding my breath.

in order to continue to grow and prosper (which apple seems to be doing quite well these days) they need to CONTINUE to innovate, not allow their products to stagnate while the competition catches up (which for some reason it has failed to do as one company after another releases horrendous Apple imitations).

you do have the choice of installing the haxie, you do have the choice of buying any mouse you want to, you do have the choice of buying a colored ipod, too... what are you whining about?

inkswamp
Sep 2, 2004, 02:51 AM
What's absolutely freaking funny about this article is Dvorak's long history of getting so many things absolutely, flat-out, 180-degrees wrong. Don't any of you dare read this and fall into the trap of getting angry. Seriously. It's hilarious when you keep in mind that this is the same guy who authoritatively penned a pompous piece of drivel in 1998 that basically said Apple was done.

Don't take this clown seriously. He's a blowhard who thinks his half-baked perceptions are worth being written down and published. I'm surprised he's still published after such a dismal track record. He's really a hack writer.

In a way, the fact that Dvorak doesn't like the new iMac is one of the best endorsements ever. :D

Krizoitz
Sep 2, 2004, 02:54 AM
Honestly, was his family killed in some sort of tragic collapse of a stack of Macintosh computers or something? I have never seen someone with such a grudge in my entire life.

virividox
Sep 2, 2004, 02:54 AM
its an opinion piece, but i dont agree, im not taht pleased with the new design tho, but time will tell if its a flop or not

Savage Henry
Sep 2, 2004, 02:57 AM

Yep ... I think you win the cigar ....

His arguments are rather bereft of depth and intellect. Sure, he's welcome to his opinion and I won't ever begrudge him that right, but the man is a fool and I shall seek more valid opinion from a bovine digestinal exit point.

I would like to say that the man wouldn't know what day of the week it was .. but he got me there, sure enough the day after the keynote WAS the 1st of September ... perhaps he's not so stoopid afterall....

dswoodley
Sep 2, 2004, 03:09 AM
basically. don't get me wrong, i love my ipod (1st gen). since i've had it tho, the ipod hasn't gone very far other than increased storage. i like many of iRiver's features, but they have a POS interface and poor product design. if you merged the two you would have the best of both worlds IMO.

ok, i can see that :cool:

Chaszmyr
Sep 2, 2004, 03:27 AM
What's worse, the engineering required that all of the USB, audio, Ethernet and modem connectors (10 of them, not including the power line) are awkwardly and inconveniently placed on the back of the bulky monitor-computer

BULKY?! :eek:

thatwendigo
Sep 2, 2004, 04:32 AM
<snip>

Why hello, Mr. Dvorak. Nice of you to visit.

Care to quantify just how Apple's OS has "stagnated?"

emw
Sep 2, 2004, 06:21 AM
i am mad because apple offers NO options. you either get a white/chrome ipod, or you don't get an ipod.

Or you get a mini. Or you get one of the many available colors for the Sony Digital Musi... oh, wait, no options there. So go for the variety of options in the .... oh, wait, no options there either. You can only offer so many options and remain efficient in manufacturing (i.e. profitable).

you either use apple's white ear buds or get your own (which is better option anyways since you'll get better sound).

Again, who else offers these options? Why in the world should we expect Apple or anyone else to offer a significant number of options in this area when there are already a thousand 3rd party headsets available?

they offer NO choice, with any of their products really (you either use Aqua or you use a haxie and theme it, 1 button mouse or 3rd party, aluminum or nothing, their system font and system icons or haxie, etc, etc).

Again, the more options, the less efficient to produce (OS interface excluded). There are a number of 3rd party options for input devices that meet the needs of consumer variety without Apple shouldering the burden of providing them at similar price points, or worse at higher price points and then being lambasted for being too expensive. There are also a number of safe and effective interface tweaks.

I don't see how the new iMac G5, the new aluminum displays, ITMS, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, etc. are not innovative products. Sure, there are a couple of dogs out there (.mac), but in general the Apple products do a good job of outdistancing the competition.

Krizoitz
Sep 2, 2004, 06:23 AM

So rather than focusing on making well engineered products that work, you would rather have them spend their time allowing you to color code your iPod?
Frankly I'd rather they keep doing things the way they are now. If you want a colored iPod you can get one, either a mini, use a skin or get it painted.
I'd rather Apple continue making their OS robust and secure as possible instead of boggin it down with all sorts of themes and skins.
I'd rather Apple make the iPod work as good as possible than wasting resources coloring it.

Now if your only complaint is you can't have some grotesque Windows-esque haxie on your OS well then I'd say you should get your priorities in order.

davecuse
Sep 2, 2004, 06:42 AM
Dvorak is in my mind, completely off base here. First off calling this bulky is like saying how sleek the new eMachine is, honestly man. Secondly why would you want to be looking at ports in the front of your computer, I have a Linux box that I built, the case has some ports in the front that I have never ever used, I much prefer to hide the cables in the back.

I'm going to have to order a 20" iMac now, just to prove this clown wrong.

dieselg4
Sep 2, 2004, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=BrianKonarsMac]basically. don't get me wrong, i love my ipod (1st gen). since i've had it tho, the ipod hasn't gone very far other than increased storage. i like many of iRiver's features, but they have a POS interface and poor product design. if you merged the two you would have the best of both worlds IMO.

QUOTE]

I don't believe the iRiver comes with any options either.

Cooknn
Sep 2, 2004, 08:06 AM
I always read Dvorak. I enjoy his perspective. I don't believe Apple is losing its focus though. IMHO all the attention to the iPod is just a way to drive business to the Mac. The iPod has been very successful in making the Apple brand a even more of a household name. I see it with people I know that never even considered buying a Mac before. Now that they have an iPod, they are on the Apple website drooling over the new iMac. The marketing works :)

The iPod may or may not be a flash in the pan, but Apple needs to continue to do whatever they can to play out this hand to the max. They should drive as many people to the iMac, iBook, Power Mac and PowerBook as possible. Not only will this be good for the company in the long run, it will be good for computing. Not because of Apple's hardware, but because of OS X. Windows is so vulnerable it has become a nuisance and instead of making people more efficient, it is the cause of much wasted time. The growth of Apple's popularity (due to the iPod) could lead to more Mac's in the workplace, which in turn could lead to greater productivity. The iPod could be the door to all of this. Sound too grand? I don't think so ;)

NusuniAdmin
Sep 2, 2004, 08:19 AM
I think he's factually wrong when he says this; aren't all the ports on the SIDE? It sure looks like it.

actually they are in fact on the back

Apple Hobo
Sep 2, 2004, 08:21 AM
you either get a white/chrome ipod, or you don't get an ipod.
iPod Mini = choices. Oh yeah, it doesn't hold a trillion music files like the white one. How many popular non-Apple MP3 players come in more than one style?

you either use apple's white ear buds or get your own
How is this any different than any other personal music player in the world? Personal CD players only include a basic set of head phones. Personal cassette players (do they even sell these any more?) come/came with basic head phones. Other MP3 players come with basic head phones.

you either use Aqua or you use a haxie and theme it
Why not just leave the choice to the user? If you want to mod, then go ahead--no one is stopping you. If you're satisfied with the default theme, then leave it and not worry about it. Winblows XP only comes with three different color schemes.

1 button mouse or 3rd party
If you don't like the mouse, spend $20 and get a new one. PCs come with basic two button mice; what if the user wants a 15 button-optical-usb-über-scroll mouse? Should they be pissed at the computer company for not giving them something other than a basic starter mouse?

aluminum or nothing
Unless you build your own PC, you are stuck with one choice. Dull has their standard black/gray cases. IBMs are black. Yatta yatta.

Why do people expect Apple to do everything for them? Why do they expect Apple to satisfy the individual needs of millions of different people?

Everything from cars to electronics come with basic accessories and setups. If the user wants to change an accessory that they aren't happy with, they are free to do so.

Le Big Mac
Sep 2, 2004, 08:21 AM
basically. don't get me wrong, i love my ipod (1st gen). since i've had it tho, the ipod hasn't gone very far other than increased storage.

Sure, but the walkman remained essentially unchanged for 20 years (until cassettes essentially died). Other than colors and a radio, what changed? Do you want a "rugged" iPod (or whatever those yellow, rubbery walkmen were called)?

To me, the lack of change, adn continued popularity, suggests they got it right the first time, and have made modest improvements as technology allows (e.g., bigger storage).

As for colors and what not, what other computer maker gives you that choice? They're black, beige, or charcoal, and generally only one of those from each manufacturer. Not much more choice there.

ExoticFish
Sep 2, 2004, 08:27 AM
personally i think the new iMac is abosultely awesome. someone mentioned but being "wowed" by Apple anymore. personally i'm wowed every second that i'm with my 12" PB. if you complain about Apple not being creative and moving forward then take a second out of your day and go try to use Jaguar after using Panther every day. I also agree that Apple should use the iPod as a marketing tool (i think i remember reading an article with Steve and about how that was the point of the iPod and iTunes being available to Windows users in the first place).

i mean just think about all the inovative stuff that Apple does.

* pushing the industry to use USB, bluetooth, firewire, wireless networking, and zeroconf.

* xgrid while not a new idea is done in a really easy and effective way so that anyone can use.

* the PowerMac G5 is a beautiful and powerful engineering marvel (IMHO ;) )

* remember all the news about not knowing all the capabilities of the new generation iPod? i'm personally waiting for annoucements.

* iTMS - revolutionary. say anything else and you're fooling yourself. it's the first working and profitable model for online music sales.

* iPod - revolutionized the mobile MP3 market. there's a reason they have the market share, it freakin rocks. i'll agree that they haven't add a lot of things to it, but at the moment i don't really see anything too pressing that they should add. all the other players i've seen out there either blatently copy the iPod or add half working or useless features. Apple will update the iPod, it's a huge market for them and i doubt they'd let it fall by the waste-side to other companies products.

just my half-asleep trying to drink caffine to wake up $.02

Le Big Mac
Sep 2, 2004, 08:29 AM
The growth of Apple's popularity (due to the iPod) could lead to more Mac's in the workplace, which in turn could lead to greater productivity. The iPod could be the door to all of this. Sound too grand? I don't think so ;)

Since I'm in charge of making a small (6-8 computer) IT purchase soon, the iMac couldn't come at a better time. And the $1299 price point for the lowend version is ideal--probably better than a Dell equivalent, and I don't need DVD burners and huge HDs in teh office.

FriarTuck
Sep 2, 2004, 08:34 AM
The man has also said he hates keynote addresses in general. Predicted the death of e-mail and chat. He says computer hobbyists are a thing of the past. America is culturally bland. DivX is the next big thing. You should have to have a license to use a computer. He cracks wise about the iSight but thinks the video function on digital cameras is an important selling point. Apple is going to port OSX to Intel and and offer OSX for PC's as a stand-alone retail software product in 2004. In late 2004/early 2005, Apple will roll out its own x86 based machine, and move away from the PowerPC chip. Failing to make sick jokes about 9/11 means you are humorless. IBM is toast. Apple can't come up with a new idea. Satellite radio is doomed. Internet radio is doomed. Television is doomed. Windows XP is going to rock.

And on, and on, and on....

BeoVir
Sep 2, 2004, 09:04 AM
So Schiller isn't an inherently cool dancing cult icon...
@ least Schiller didn't attempt the monkey dance!

http://www.tarmo.fi/arc/monkeydance.mpeg

Maclomaniac
Sep 2, 2004, 09:22 AM
Ugh. In this article,

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?siteid=google&dist=google&guid=%7BADB244ED%2D1E24%2D4588%2DB63A%2DB2A0C1ACD695%7D

Dvorak actually attempts to accuse Apple of plotting a monopolistic hold on an aspect of the technology market - digital music on cell phones. If he's going to complain about monopolies, why not turn that sharp tongue on Microsoft? What a hypocrite!

srobert
Sep 2, 2004, 09:31 AM
Sure, Schiller is'nt to most fashionably attired guy this side of Togo but how could this guy dare criticize anyone on their clothing choice:

Take that! Mr. John-Canari-Yellowed-Yucky-Muck-Green-Coated-Pablum-Poopy-Brown-Pantalooned-Lunatic-Starved-For-Attention-Dvorak!

:D

Click to enlarge... If you dare.

Note: MacRumors.com can't be held responsible for bleeding eyes syndrome

P.S.: I'm only writing this caustic post because I crave the resulting attention.

LOL! If your browser display icons before URLs, look at this: http://www.dvorak.org
The guy use his own face as a logo for his website.

Just read his bio: http://www.execnet.com/index.html?page=dvorak.html
The guy wrote for MacUser?

Laslo Panaflex
Sep 2, 2004, 09:38 AM
Dvorak=Poo

OldManJimbo
Sep 2, 2004, 09:48 AM
In a way, the fact that Dvorak doesn't like the new iMac is one of the best endorsements ever. :D

I was thinking the same thing myself - this guy is a dinosaur.

keysersoze
Sep 2, 2004, 09:48 AM
So Schiller isn't an inherently cool dancing cult icon...
@ least Schiller didn't attempt the monkey dance!

http://www.tarmo.fi/arc/monkeydance.mpeg

O.
M.
G.

That is hilarious. Thanks for that. woo-hooooo

Laslo Panaflex
Sep 2, 2004, 09:55 AM
O.
M.
G.

That is hilarious. Thanks for that. woo-hooooo

You think that was funny, check this out

http://spherule.com/media/video/ballmer_musicvideo.mov

When I first saw the above video, I hadn't laughed so much in my entire life.

srobert
Sep 2, 2004, 09:58 AM

I think you are right. I'll quote one of his article as proof:

Maybe this will be the year of the iMac. I hate to admit it, but I like the new iMac Luxo-lamp look-alike. I'd much rather find something about it that I could ridicule, since that would get more readers.

This quote is from an article he wrote January 11, 2002: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,92157,00.asp

Some of the mac related articles he wrote over the years:

Apple will go Intel within 18 months
Mar 20 2003
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939886,00.asp

E-Mac, i-Mac, No Mac
Jun 17 2002
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1885,00.asp

Dvorak blames the Mac for falling computer sales
Feb 13 2001
http://www.macworld.com/news/2001/02/13/dvorak/
(No link to original article)

Dvorak: Apple's 'Real People' campaign desperate
Jun 25 2002
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,263476,00.asp

It's the Games, Stupid!
March 11, 2004
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1545392,00.asp

keysersoze
Sep 2, 2004, 10:12 AM

:eek:

GOD that's GREAT. I love the repeated screaming... it's perfect :D

Cooknn
Sep 2, 2004, 10:46 AM
Since I'm in charge of making a small (6-8 computer) IT purchase soon, the iMac couldn't come at a better time. And the $1299 price point for the lowend version is ideal--probably better than a Dell equivalent, and I don't need DVD burners and huge HDs in the office.If you don't want to spend all your time trying to get rid of malware and viruses on Windows boxes you'll be wise to go with the iMac's. You and your users will be more productive and you'll have the best OS available today and probably for a long time in the future ;)

scottwat
Sep 2, 2004, 01:14 PM
1. It was mentioned early on that mac doesnt give you enough options or enough ways to customize your system. I have been a mac user since the the apple IIe and quite frankly ran every customization I could for years. I can remember trying my best to get as many icons load up at startup on OS 8. And then I grew up. I realized that it is better to have something simple, well designed and effective than something that you can turn any gaudy color you want. Do you paint a hammer? no you buy it and use it because it is effective and is the best tool for the job. It does what it needs to do.
2. As far as the imac design, I am impressed. There is plenty of flexibility and form followed function. But it is still very stylish. I think they will be more impressive in person.
3. As far as dvorak and the nay sayers, let them say nay and I will still go about using my Mac while they say nay, because that is all they are good for, saying nay!!!

OldManJimbo
Sep 2, 2004, 01:59 PM

Someone should buy this man two things -

1) A case lot of Prozac

2) A three-pak of Arrid Extra-Dry. Can you imagine how badly he smelt after that rampage?