PDA

View Full Version : TomTom for iPhone Set to Gain Real-Time Traffic Updates, Local Search

MacRumors
Mar 2, 2010, 12:05 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/03/02/tomtom-for-iphone-set-to-gain-real-time-traffic-updates-local-search/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/03/02/130412-tomtom_us.jpg

MobileCrunch reports (http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/03/02/tomtoms-iphone-app-to-get-real-time-traffic-alerts-and-google-local-search/) that TomTom has issued a press release announcing the submission of Version 1.3 of its iPhone application (http://appshopper.com/navigation/tomtom-us-canada) to Apple for inclusion in the App Store. The updated version will bring real-time traffic updates and local search functionality offered by Google, as well as other yet-to-be-announced enhancements.A number of new services and features are coming soon to the TomTom app for iPhone, including TomTom Traffic for real-time traffic speed and incident reports, and Local Search powered by Google. The latest update to the TomTom app for iPhone (version 1.3), which has been submitted to Apple for review, will offer these and other soon-to-be-announced enhancements to ensure an optimal, and even more intuitive, navigation experience.TomTom's iPhone application was last updated (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/18/tomtom-version-1-2-released-adds-compatibility-with-original-iphone-and-ipod-touch/) in November to add text-to-speech, lane guidance and several other features as the company has continued to attempt to keep pace in the competitive iPhone GPS market.

Article Link: TomTom for iPhone Set to Gain Real-Time Traffic Updates, Local Search (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/03/02/tomtom-for-iphone-set-to-gain-real-time-traffic-updates-local-search/)

ct2k7
Mar 2, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hmm, I wonder how much it'll cost?

bpfesq
Mar 2, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hmm, I wonder how much it'll cost?

I'll probably be free like the last one.

I'm not looking forward to that download and transfer to my iPhone... takes FOREVER.

aberg83
Mar 2, 2010, 12:41 PM
Nice!

For 3G users, this will mean TomTom is the undisputed best GPS app. Navigon just won't run reliably on the 3G.

gber
Mar 2, 2010, 12:49 PM
Does the current version allow saving of Favorites? Can it save an itinerary (multiple way points and destination)?
Thanks

wacky4alanis
Mar 2, 2010, 12:50 PM
Sweet - the lack of google search and traffic were the 2 glaring drawbacks of TomTom. Once those are in place, it should be a pretty solid product! I doubt the traffic add-on will be free, but I hope it is!

rosujin
Mar 2, 2010, 01:08 PM
Nice! If they don't try to charge any extra for these new features I may finally have to break down and get this app.:rolleyes:

UnseenLlama
Mar 2, 2010, 01:14 PM
Does the volume lower while speaking during background music play, or does it still pause? Very annoying. :mad:

abbstrack
Mar 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
Nice!

For 3G users, this will mean TomTom is the undisputed best GPS app. Navigon just won't run reliably on the 3G.

speak for yourself. while i have the occasional hiccups and stickyness, usually running Navigon off of a fresh restart works reliably well for me and my iPhone 3G.

gber
Mar 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
Nice! If they don't try to charge any extra for these new features I may finally have to break down and get this app.:rolleyes:

Don't expect TomTom to offer free traffic since they charge $9.95 a month for live Traffic, fuel prices and local Google search on their other devices. I also question how long users will get free map updates which are available quarterly for $49 a year on their other devices. They have done a poor job communicating the cost of these features on the iPhone. I guess they want to get a larger user base before they pass along other cost.

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 2, 2010, 01:32 PM
Does the volume lower while speaking during background music play, or does it still pause? Very annoying. :mad:

Doesn't bother me much.

aberg83
Mar 2, 2010, 01:35 PM
speak for yourself. while i have the occasional hiccups and stickyness, usually running Navigon off of a fresh restart works reliably well for me and my iPhone 3G.

It has been well documented throughout these and other forums that Navigon is not reliable on the 3G. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a fresh restart for an app to run well, that includes exhibiting occasional hiccups and stickyness. Everyone has a different opinion of what is usable. In my view, Navigon was clearly not designed to run smoothly on the 3G, but rather the 3GS. I'll leave it at that, since this issue has been beaten to death in other threads.

UnseenLlama
Mar 2, 2010, 01:38 PM
Doesn't bother me much.

Great to know it doesn't bother you. You'd would think TomTom could have figured out how to do this for those of us who do care.

room237
Mar 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
... and they're going to charge another $99.99 for the update

roiegat
Mar 2, 2010, 02:43 PM
not sure why it's big news. GMAP costs 35 bucks and is just as good. For 7 dollars a year you get live traffic information. It's got the voice navigation and everything. It's much better then my actual TomTom GPS.

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 2, 2010, 02:49 PM
... and they're going to charge another $99.99 for the update

aren't "updates" required to be free? I've never seen a paid update. Sure I mean they could add in app purchases to add some functionality (like traffic), but as for an actual update, it was my understanding those are always free

Diode
Mar 2, 2010, 02:54 PM
aren't "updates" required to be free? I've never seen a paid update. Sure I mean they could add in app purchases to add some functionality (like traffic), but as for an actual update, it was my understanding those are always free

No - paid updates exist but are rare and are allowed by Apple.

n9n3
Mar 2, 2010, 03:30 PM

Mad Mac is exaggerating, but I think what will happen is that the update will allow for these software features to happen, and a paid in-app purchase will actually activate it. The next Navigon update is going to include 3D terrain maps, but you still have to buy it in-app to use the feature. The free update facilitates the upgrade, the in-app purchase let's you use it.

Sebby
Mar 2, 2010, 04:16 PM
Nice!

You are absolutely right!

mvl
Mar 2, 2010, 04:30 PM
Sweet - the lack of google search and traffic were the 2 glaring drawbacks of TomTom. Once those are in place, it should be a pretty solid product! I doubt the traffic add-on will be free, but I hope it is!

According to pocketlink here (http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31767/tomtom-for-iphone-hdtraffic-added), Tomtom has told them directly that app 1.3 itself will be free. The traffic service is likely to be an in-app purchase subscription cost, and pricing is not yet announced.

mvl
Mar 2, 2010, 04:32 PM

macworld uk reported (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsId=3214015) having tried this app hands-on at CeBIT, and says that it now does "a more sympathetic music fade".

Artsifrtsy
Mar 2, 2010, 05:19 PM
macworld uk reported (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsId=3214015) having tried this app hands-on at CeBIT, and says that it now does "a more sympathetic music fade".
The pause is great for listening to audio books - my issue is the volume of the voice - how do you turn it down? The default setting is jarring.

Scdavis23
Mar 2, 2010, 07:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Navigon's traffic option a one-time purchase? If so, maybe we'll luck out and TomTom's live traffic won't be a subscription.

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 2, 2010, 07:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Navigon's traffic option a one-time purchase? If so, maybe we'll luck out and TomTom's live traffic won't be a subscription.

(That's me not correcting you)

sinsin07
Mar 2, 2010, 07:58 PM
Doesn't bother me much.
And it doesn't answer the question, which was not what bothers you.

It has been well documented throughout these and other forums that Navigon is not reliable on the 3G. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a fresh restart for an app to run well, that includes exhibiting occasional hiccups and stickyness. Everyone has a different opinion of what is usable. In my view, Navigon was clearly not designed to run smoothly on the 3G, but rather the 3GS. I'll leave it at that, since this issue has been beaten to death in other threads.

Your right. The poster is probably a Windows user like me and used to doing restarts.:D

LinMac
Mar 2, 2010, 10:49 PM

Just because it deserves to be posted again.

Becordial
Mar 3, 2010, 02:03 AM
Don't expect TomTom to offer free traffic since they charge $9.95 a month for live Traffic, fuel prices and local Google search on their other devices. I also question how long users will get free map updates which are available quarterly for $49 a year on their other devices. They have done a poor job communicating the cost of these features on the iPhone. I guess they want to get a larger user base before they pass along other cost.

Interesting thing though is recently TomTom have started including so-called lifetime updates for their new devices. What it means is that traffic etc data won't incur a regular charge for users. It's just bundled into the price of the unit I assume.

Locker
Mar 3, 2010, 07:03 AM
Really? Do you have an example? I too have never seen this and thought it was impossible. That's why people release brand new apps called *App Name* 2, rather than just updating their current app - right?

Jamie 360
Mar 3, 2010, 09:27 AM

Does anyone know if you can download the voices (Homer, etc.) for the Iphone version like you can with the stand alone device?

ct2k7
Mar 3, 2010, 09:49 AM
Really? Do you have an example? I too have never seen this and thought it was impossible. That's why people release brand new apps called *App Name* 2, rather than just updating their current app - right?

Tweetie v2 was a paid upgrade.

ptackbar
Mar 3, 2010, 09:51 AM
Tweetie v2 was a paid upgrade.

Tweetie 2 was a separate app from the original Tweetie.

tstreete
Mar 3, 2010, 10:27 AM
For podcasts, it's better if the player pauses (so you don't miss anything). For music, it's better if it reduces volume (so the rhythm is not messed up). Some nav apps do one, others the other. It should be a choice in all of them, though.

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 3, 2010, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know if you can download the voices (Homer, etc.) for the Iphone version like you can with the stand alone device?

not currently.

haztastic
Mar 3, 2010, 12:11 PM
Now this is why competition is healthy. There's no way Tomtom would be so good as to give us free (so far) meaningful updates if it wasn't for competitive nature of the App store. Bring on the traffic and this would be perfect.

If this had been their standalone unit you would have probably had to bought a new device to get updates like this..

RobNYC
Mar 3, 2010, 12:34 PM
Has anyone here used Tom Tom's traffic feature on their other GPS devices? I'm just wondering how good all these real time traffic updates are. It's a feature I would love living in NYC but if it's the same as google maps traffic updates than it's not of much use.

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 3, 2010, 03:29 PM
it'll be interesting to see the approval turnaround rate. supposedly it has improved dramatically

applehappy
Mar 4, 2010, 12:30 AM
The pause is great for listening to audio books - my issue is the volume of the voice - how do you turn it down? The default setting is jarring.

You tap the lower portion of the active driving screen and a volume slider, tap the left/right side and you are adjusting spoken voice or music volume from inside the app.

cavemonkey50
Mar 4, 2010, 03:00 AM
You tap the lower portion of the active driving screen and a volume slider, tap the left/right side and you are adjusting spoken voice or music volume from inside the app.

That works when you're using the built-in speaker or headphones, but any audio device that uses the dock connector's line-out (such as TomTom's own car kit) get's 100% voice audio with no way to lower it. The voice side of the slider you mentioned disappears when plugged into the car kit. Hopefully that's been fixed in 1.3.

UnseenLlama
Mar 4, 2010, 06:55 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the link!

Compile 'em all
Mar 4, 2010, 07:05 AM

Wrong. Paid updates don't exist as of today. An update issued for a paid app currently in the store will always be free. The only way to charge money is to create a whole new app with a new name (like loren did with Tweetie 2) and remove the old one from sale.

Nuvi
Mar 4, 2010, 07:12 AM
I own both TT and Navigon for iPhone. I'm also long time TT stand alone navigator user. However, from my subjective perspective I find Navigon iPhone app better. I've used it both on 3G and now 3GS. Start up time with 3G was slow but after that it was fine. Regarding the features, TT started with as bare bones navigator as you can get. On the other hand Navigon has been very active in introducing new features and even in the beginning it was on par with mid range navigators.

Its good to see TT adding traffic and Google functionality but then again Navigon has had those features for months. In Pocket Lint they said Traffic will be in app purchase. Regarding Navigons new 1.3 features I think its safe to say that 3D panorama is something we will not see in TT for long time since TT doesn't have anything like that even in any of their top of the line navigators.

The problem that I have with TT is their lack of pushing the envelope of iPhone navigation. It seems they always play catch up with Navigon and now they've come to a point in which they can't add more advanced features because they don't have the technology to begin with. Anyway, as a consumer I'm loving this. Nav developers are pushing the capabilities of mobile navigation and creating good opportunities for us as consumers.

EDIT: According to Pocket lints interview its subscription based service:

The service, which will be based on users opting in to a subscription model, will come in daily, weekly, monthly and yearly packages with drivers able to buy the extra features via the app if they are stuck in a jam.

"You'll receive access to the traffic information within a few minutes of purchase", confirmed the company's product manager to Pocket-lint.

TomTom has yet to confirm pricing for the HDTraffic subscription, however expect it to mirror the company's current offering for its dedicated units at 8 a month.

8 is roughly $12... and according to Lint, Traffic will only be available in UK, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Belgium with France following shortly after. <- this is not good. Navigon charges lot less on their stand alone navigators but as we know on iPhone its only one time fee. Why can't TT never learn...

mvl
Mar 4, 2010, 07:58 AM
Has anyone here used Tom Tom's traffic feature on their other GPS devices? I'm just wondering how good all these real time traffic updates are. It's a feature I would love living in NYC but if it's the same as google maps traffic updates than it's not of much use.

Tomtom's traffic does a very good job on all highways, as does most live traffic options from other brands. The Tomtom application is unique that it has iqroutes for all the sideroads as well. So when there is a jam on a highway, it can automatically figure out which sideroad alternative (or the original highway) will get you to your destination the quickest.

My experience in NYC is that Tomtom traffic is phenomenal. We have family in the area, and have been driving to and around NYC for decades. Before my Tomtom, I had to have 1010 wins on to check the best way to drive anywhere. Nowadays the Tomtom just decides for me (avoiding all the stress), and it does a much better job than that I could even after using 1010 wins. I probably get twice as much done every time I visit NYC as I used to before I had Tomtom traffic.

If I had to drive around NYC every day, I'd gladly pay $50 per month for the convenience this would save me. My guess is Tomtom will charge something in the range of $5 to $10 per month.

Google traffic is only informational (from what I hear). It doesn't appear to intelligently route you around problems (or through them if faster) when traffic is identified.

mvl
Mar 4, 2010, 08:05 AM
I own both TT and Navigon for iPhone. I'm also long time TT stand alone navigator user. However, from my subjective perspective I find Navigon iPhone app better. I've used it both on 3G and now 3GS. Start up time with 3G was slow but after that it was fine. Regarding the features, TT started with as bare bones navigator as you can get. On the other hand Navigon has been very active in introducing new features and even in the beginning it was on par with mid range navigators.

Navigon has historically been the most innovative in new features, time-to-market, and appearance of their navigation interface.

Tomtom's strength and innovation has been in routing, doing an unparalleled job in avoiding congestion and finding the fastest way to your destination. Finally iPhone users will get to see just how good it is.

It all comes down to which meets your needs better.

Nuvi
Mar 4, 2010, 08:40 AM
Navigon has historically been the most innovative in new features, time-to-market, and appearance of their navigation interface.

Tomtom's strength and innovation has been in routing, doing an unparalleled job in avoiding congestion and finding the fastest way to your destination. Finally iPhone users will get to see just how good it is.

It all comes down to which meets your needs better.

I've tested both TT and Navigon side by side and navigation wise I haven't seen a difference in providing better routes either way. Yes, sometimes Navigon gives better routes and sometimes TT does it better but overall there really isn't much difference in that department. I'm not too sure about TT's traffic usability for vast majority since it seems to be still limited to only few countries and expensive. Simple TMC won't do for the rest. You really require good floating car data. Regarding TT HDTraffic it really isn't any better then Navigons Live Traffic.

Nuvi
Mar 4, 2010, 08:49 AM
Tomtom's traffic does a very good job on all highways, as does most live traffic options from other brands. The Tomtom application is unique that it has iqroutes for all the sideroads as well. So when there is a jam on a highway, it can automatically figure out which sideroad alternative (or the original highway) will get you to your destination the quickest.

My experience in NYC is that Tomtom traffic is phenomenal. We have family in the area, and have been driving to and around NYC for decades. Before my Tomtom, I had to have 1010 wins on to check the best way to drive anywhere. Nowadays the Tomtom just decides for me (avoiding all the stress), and it does a much better job than that I could even after using 1010 wins. I probably get twice as much done every time I visit NYC as I used to before I had Tomtom traffic.

If I had to drive around NYC every day, I'd gladly pay $50 per month for the convenience this would save me. My guess is Tomtom will charge something in the range of $5 to $10 per month.

Google traffic is only informational (from what I hear). It doesn't appear to intelligently route you around problems (or through them if faster) when traffic is identified.

HDtraffic is not available in US. Why would you want to pay $50 a month for regular TMC data? I've used TT HDtraffic in UK and its lot better then TMC. Honestly, you're seriously mixing up two different services here. TMC is not HD Traffic.

wizzerandchips
Mar 4, 2010, 09:24 AM
Mmm, I went for co-pilot, regular updates with nice features and a much nicer UI, in my opinion anyway

mvl
Mar 4, 2010, 09:53 AM
HDtraffic is not available in US. Why would you want to pay $50 a month for regular TMC data? I've used TT HDtraffic in UK and its lot better then TMC. Honestly, you're seriously mixing up two different services here. TMC is not HD Traffic.

I agree Tomtom HD traffic is much better than TMC.

In the US, TMC is powered by Inrix or Navteq. The Navigon app uses Inrix, and Tomtom TMC also uses Inrix.

But there's a higher class of traffic that will be used by the Tomtom app, the same traffic as Tomtom's GO 740 standalone device. It uses Inrix data, plus Trafficcast data (which covers many more sidestreets), plus realtime speeds relayed from other Tomtom 740live and 340live owners. It's noticeably better than Inrix alone.

More importantly, the IQroutes system when layered on top of the live traffic gives Tomtom the big edge. In less congested areas, the difference isn't noticeable. But in cities, IQroutes will take into account predictable things like traffic lights, and school hours, especially when deciding whether sidestreets are better than the highway traffic jam. That's what really gives the edge.

What I was trying to say is that if Tomtom were the only option, I'd pay $50/month for the convenience and hassle that it saves me. Just to illustrate its worth in my eyes. If someone else is close enough for $5/month, than of course I'd choose the $5 instead.

This should all be a moot discussion point soon as I really really doubt the iPhone app traffic will cost more than $100 per year.

Nuvi
Mar 4, 2010, 12:24 PM
I agree Tomtom HD traffic is much better than TMC.

In the US, TMC is powered by Inrix or Navteq. The Navigon app uses Inrix, and Tomtom TMC also uses Inrix.

But there's a higher class of traffic that will be used by the Tomtom app, the same traffic as Tomtom's GO 740 standalone device. It uses Inrix data, plus Trafficcast data (which covers many more sidestreets), plus realtime speeds relayed from other Tomtom 740live and 340live owners. It's noticeably better than Inrix alone.

More importantly, the IQroutes system when layered on top of the live traffic gives Tomtom the big edge. In less congested areas, the difference isn't noticeable. But in cities, IQroutes will take into account predictable things like traffic lights, and school hours, especially when deciding whether sidestreets are better than the highway traffic jam. That's what really gives the edge.

What I was trying to say is that if Tomtom were the only option, I'd pay $50/month for the convenience and hassle that it saves me. Just to illustrate its worth in my eyes. If someone else is close enough for $5/month, than of course I'd choose the $5 instead.

This should all be a moot discussion point soon as I really really doubt the iPhone app traffic will cost more than $100 per year.

Both TT and Navigon use several data sources. First TomTom Live had only Traffic Cast but latter added Inrix as data supplier since Traffic Cast lacked in floating car data density.

Regarding IQroutes its true that Navigon iPhone app hasn't had similar feature. However the new Navigon 1.5 app will have "My Routes" which is similar to "IQroutes". IQroutes and My Routes are historical data regarding time of travel between point A to point B in relation to day of week and time of the day. Yes, in a way it includes traffic lights and school hours but not in reality. However, in its really hard to say how much use these IQroutes and My Routes are in future when real time traffic data gets better and better. After all I'm more interested to know how traffic flows between point A to B now and not a year ago... ;)

Regarding the price point, iPhone software market is highly or I'd say insanely competitive. $100 for traffic data per year is very expensive. On PND market you can easily get that but on iPhone... not a chance. Anyway, from consumer standpoint its good to be iPhone owner. :)

mvl
Mar 5, 2010, 07:01 AM
IQroutes and My Routes are historical data regarding time of travel between point A to point B in relation to day of week and time of the day. Yes, in a way it includes traffic lights and school hours but not in reality. However, in its really hard to say how much use these IQroutes and My Routes are in future when real time traffic data gets better and better.

Navigon Myroutes is your own historical time of day info (one GPS device). So MyRoutes will only work in places and times that you drive frequently.

Tomtom IQroutes is the historical info of all Tomtom owners who choose to share it. So it's crowd-sourced.

Real time traffic will only help to a point, historical traffic is necessary if a decision point is needed far in advance (eg: when I drive from Boston to NYC, should I take Merritt or 95? should I take Deegan or Cross Bronx? Or when going into DC to I take 95 or 295?, which way do I go around the belt? etc..)

doobry
Mar 5, 2010, 01:42 PM
The TomTom subscriptions on their hardware navs are to pay for the 3G data it uses to transmit the traffic updates to the tomtom, (some of them have 3g radio's and sim's in them) on the iphone you pay for the 3g data already so I really doubt they'll charge for this..

Nuvi
Mar 5, 2010, 04:48 PM
Navigon Myroutes is your own historical time of day info (one GPS device). So MyRoutes will only work in places and times that you drive frequently.

Tomtom IQroutes is the historical info of all Tomtom owners who choose to share it. So it's crowd-sourced.

Real time traffic will only help to a point, historical traffic is necessary if a decision point is needed far in advance (eg: when I drive from Boston to NYC, should I take Merritt or 95? should I take Deegan or Cross Bronx? Or when going into DC to I take 95 or 295?, which way do I go around the belt? etc..)

According to Navigon My Routes use historical data in general which is acquired from third party and personal data which allows the navigator to suggest routes which the driver prefers.

Regarding historical data in routing you have point there but as you probably know real time data (live data) is not only live data but also flow data from historical models. The point of "live" navigators is to be able to tap into cloud which holds much more information and computational power then any single navigator could hold. This info holds also the historical data aka flow models combined with real time traffic. Therefore, on live navigators server side info is going to play ever increasing role.

Nuvi
Mar 5, 2010, 04:53 PM
The TomTom subscriptions on their hardware navs are to pay for the 3G data it uses to transmit the traffic updates to the tomtom, (some of them have 3g radio's and sim's in them) on the iphone you pay for the 3g data already so I really doubt they'll charge for this..

Unfortunately you're wrong. There will be daily, weekly, monthly and yearly subscriptions and non of it will be free.

Read the following:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31767/tomtom-for-iphone-hdtraffic-added

Regul8tR
Mar 12, 2010, 10:15 PM
I'm downloading the update now ...
get it.

dj4uofa
Mar 13, 2010, 12:59 AM
AWESOME! They made some great improvements it looks like and traffic for 1 year is only $20! Such a better deal than having a stand-along TomTom and paying $10/month. So stoked.

ee0u30eb
Mar 13, 2010, 05:54 AM
Sounds brilliant... and just in time too. I've just been told I need to leave my TomTom in the office if I'm not using it on company business! Kind of grown attached to the thing, but this will work! :)

mvl
Mar 13, 2010, 09:00 AM
I confirmed by looking at coverage that this is Tomtom's high-end LIVE traffic from the 740, which is currently the best in the US to date.

For those used to other GPS devices, the visual display may throw people off. It only shows traffic that is "more than usual". So if a road is has typical bumper-to-bumper traffic on rush hour, it's won't show it on the screen. However, it knows about the "usual traffic" via IQroutes, and when planning directions it will avoid the traffic properly.

gunnarliden
Mar 13, 2010, 01:51 PM
how does the "ADD locations from other applications and websites.." work? how do you send locations to the tomtom app?

applehappy
Mar 13, 2010, 02:02 PM
Incredible Update. TomTom is definitely in it to win it.

Real Time Traffic - $20 a YEAR
Google Local Search - Much MUCH better than TOMTOM search
New Map - FREEBIE
Music Fading - I was seriously praying for this, it was annoying to pause music everytime voice came on.

Automatic Day/Night Mode - Impressive, and it works perfectly
Add Locations from other apps and websites - Dunno how to do this yet, but sweet.

VERY NICE UPDATE!!!!!!

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 13, 2010, 02:47 PM
how does the "ADD locations from other applications and websites.." work? how do you send locations to the tomtom app?

Yes I'm wondering about this one too....

I'm hoping that it's something along the lines of what I've heard Navigon is doing. Allowing you to click on a location from within that app (maps, urbanspoon, where to, random locator apps, etc) and then automatically send it to tomtom for traveling. That is something that I would absolutely LOVE to see. This is the thing causing me to use maps for a lot of my driving... it's just easier than exporting the address from the 3rd party app to maps, saving as a contact and then going there in tomtom. Or writing down the address and manually enter to tomtom..... both a huge hassle

spydr
Mar 13, 2010, 10:04 PM
This update sounds wonderful. Exactly what was sorely missing.
I so hope that one can select the google result as destination or a way point in the route right now, address input is the WORST part of Tom Tom. Otherwise, I really like its functionality.

ct2k7
Mar 14, 2010, 12:33 PM
You get live updates for $20 and we get it for $37... no fair... Ooh, hello Navigon.

Natesac
Mar 14, 2010, 06:34 PM
Yes I'm wondering about this one too....

I'm hoping that it's something along the lines of what I've heard Navigon is doing. Allowing you to click on a location from within that app (maps, urbanspoon, where to, random locator apps, etc) and then automatically send it to tomtom for traveling. That is something that I would absolutely LOVE to see. This is the thing causing me to use maps for a lot of my driving... it's just easier than exporting the address from the 3rd party app to maps, saving as a contact and then going there in tomtom. Or writing down the address and manually enter to tomtom..... both a huge hassle

I am very interested in this as well. I wonder if other app debs are going to have to put in a "Tom Tom" butto or will there be some other method?

I too find myself using maps more often than my Tom Tom app. I love the Tom Tom app and the car kit. It is however very anoying to input a destination unless it's saved as a contact.

FieldingMellish
Jun 22, 2010, 09:48 PM
I wish I travelled different places all the time in order to merit getting an app like that. As I don't, a regular, crumpled and at the ready paper map does the trick. That, or just google the directions in advance.