PDA

View Full Version : It would be cool if you could Text with iPad

davidlw
Mar 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
Just a thought but I think that it would be cool if you could Text Message from the iPad.

melman101
Mar 2, 2010, 01:57 PM
Just a thought but I think that it would be cool if you could Text Message from the iPad.

Yeah, I would love that.

goobot
Mar 2, 2010, 02:00 PM
its not a phone. can you text with a tv? computer?

it makes no sense and this device was not built that way.

melman101
Mar 2, 2010, 02:02 PM

No, I know. I'm just saying, it would be sweeeet.

Disc Golfer
Mar 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
Is vtext.com flash based? How about something like http://www.onlinetextmessage.com/ ? I honestly don't know, but if they're not that's how I'd do it.

MacVDS
Mar 2, 2010, 02:39 PM

I send text messages from my iTouch all the time. Just use the text message format for the person's cell phone in the email client. Like for ATT xxx-xxx-xxxx@txt.att.net

joseluis.17
Mar 2, 2010, 10:26 PM
I think you'll be able to do it via bluetooth, you'll just have to pair it with your iphone and you'll be able to text

Roessnakhan
Mar 2, 2010, 10:50 PM
You'll be able to send messages from Google Voice, at the very least.

Niiro13
Mar 3, 2010, 03:00 AM
You can send text messages already by using TextFree, AIM, Skype, etc.

Course from the same number as your phone...only Google Voice managed it and you'll have to jailbreak for that (or hope that Apple reallows the app back).

j_maddison
Mar 3, 2010, 04:19 AM

Yes you can. I have a mate who routinely sends out texts via his computer as part of his job roll. He finds it a far more effective tool than using e mail or written letters

I have another mate who texts via his tv, he has a mac mini hooked up to his 50" TV

It might not make sense to you, and that is fine we're all different, but texting on the iPad makes perect sense to me. It's something I'd use all the time if I could get an inclusiive unlimited texts package

rtkane
May 14, 2010, 04:16 PM
It might not make sense to you, and that is fine we're all different, but texting on the iPad makes perect sense to me. It's something I'd use all the time if I could get an inclusiive unlimited texts package

Agreed. I found this thread while doing a search on my iPad trying to figure out how to do this very thing.

/gravedig FTW

spinstorm
May 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
The iPhone dev team have hacked the iPad 3G to send text messages using a text/phone enabled SIM.

Do a search had you can find the YouTube video of it!

Whether they release it as a bit of software I don't know. Right now it uses command line terminal to send messages.

Fry-man22
May 14, 2010, 04:39 PM

You know TXT messages are just emails to 5551236789@txt.att.net or whatever the wireless carrier is right? You can hit a phone from any email client if you know the number/provider suffix - they just can't reply...

Lloyd50
May 14, 2010, 04:57 PM
You do realize there is a free texting app for the iPad???
It's called textPLus

h1w1nd
May 14, 2010, 04:58 PM
Textnow by enflick

Works on iPad

BigHonkingDeal
May 14, 2010, 05:00 PM
You do realize there is a free texting app for the iPad???
It's called textPLus

Text+ I use it.... works fine.

Hammie
May 14, 2010, 05:12 PM
Text+ I use it.... works fine.

I love Text+. I've used it on my iPad and it works great.

xraydoc
May 14, 2010, 06:23 PM
Google Voice for the win.

zeferjen
May 14, 2010, 06:26 PM
Do you need an app for Google voice or does it work from the browser?

bradsnw
May 14, 2010, 06:37 PM
I travel out of the country allot. I always text my gf from mail.app. As stated above, send email to their phone number. She texts back from her iPhone and it always comes back to mail.app on my Macbook. I've never, ever had a problem with this.

In fact, I just tested again on iPad and it works flawlessly. And you CAN reply just fine. Were both on AT&T iPhones.

CarboysDesire
May 14, 2010, 07:17 PM
OMG I JUST DOWNLOADED TEXT PLUS!

I think I can throw away my iPhone now. :D

Battlestar
May 14, 2010, 10:54 PM
Try Text Em (http://www.textem.net/index.php)

PsyD4Me
May 14, 2010, 11:09 PM

Well, it does have a cellular sim card with a phone number, so it's never out of the question

epi117
May 14, 2010, 11:20 PM
buy a google voice beta account invite on ebay for 99 cent and sms for free all you want.

Martinsalas310
May 14, 2010, 11:49 PM
Textfree unlimited works perfect even has different txt tones

Martinsalas310
May 14, 2010, 11:50 PM
And btw u can get a whole new number to txt people so they won't hassle txtng u when they want it's flawless so far!:cool::cool::D

NateEssex
May 15, 2010, 06:25 AM
I send text messages from my iTouch all the time. Just use the text message format for the person's cell phone in the email client. Like for ATT xxx-xxx-xxxx@txt.att.net

Can you receive them any way?

Erickirkhuff
Nov 19, 2010, 10:28 PM

Well... I think that your comment is very limiting. Do you realize the technological world we live in?

Yes, the iPad is almost a phone. I have spoken to AT&T and the iPad data plan is associated with a phone number. It is only a matter of time.

Then there is the creativeness of programmers around us.....

E