PDA

View Full Version : 'MLB.com At Bat 2010' Hits the App Store

MacRumors
Mar 2, 2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/03/02/mlb-com-at-bat-2010-hits-the-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/03/02/164201-mlb_2010_1.jpg

Macworld reports (http://www.macworld.com/article/146803/2010/03/mlb2010.html) that MLB.com At Bat 2010 (http://appshopper.com/sports/mlbcom-at-bat-2010) has arrived in the App Store, offering baseball fans even more coverage of the upcoming season's games. As with last year's version, users can listen live to every regular season and postseason game and also view streaming video of games not blacked out in the user's market. The app also continues to offer the "Gameday" feature with pitch-by-pitch coverage and data from games around the country.In case that's not enough to send the scent of peanuts and hot dogs wafting gently to your nose, MLB's added some new features to this year's app, including live audio and video of spring training beginning in mid-March, breaking news, a searchable video library, enhanced live game video for the regular season, selection of home or away broadcast feeds during regular season, and even, somehow, background audio playback (how they've accomplished that, I'll be interested to see). What's more, MLB says more features will be rolled out during the 2010 season -- to paraphrase Yogi Berra, it ain't the final version until it's the final version.MLB.com At Bat 2010 is priced at $14.99 for access throughout the season.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/03/02/164201-mlb_2010_2.jpg

At Apple's media event (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/27/apple-tablet-media-event-today-come-see-our-latest-creation/) to introduce the iPad in January, representatives of MLB.com demoed a version of MLB.com At Bat for the iPad, which will allow for display of even more content with a richer user experience. There is no word yet on release plans for the iPad application.

Article Link: 'MLB.com At Bat 2010' Hits the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/03/02/mlb-com-at-bat-2010-hits-the-app-store/)

themanfromvlad
Mar 2, 2010, 03:48 PM
This App still has the major bug from last season where Montreal Expos games are not viewable.

dwd3885
Mar 2, 2010, 03:53 PM
14.99? THat's $5 more than last year.

AppEzzy
Mar 2, 2010, 03:53 PM
Nice, will be downloading this!

gibbz
Mar 2, 2010, 03:54 PM
This App still has the major bug from last season where Montreal Expos games are not viewable.

I have also had a hard time viewing the Brooklyn Dodgers.

MrMoore
Mar 2, 2010, 03:56 PM

Yeah and it refered to the Washington Senators as the Nationals :confused:

I like the app and had it last year. But I'm not sure if the price is worth another year. I'll probably rely on Sportacular this year.

Yelmurc
Mar 2, 2010, 03:58 PM
downloading now!

GoCubsGo
Mar 2, 2010, 03:59 PM

And NOTHING to show for it. Whatever enhancements they're listing isn't worth the money and yet, here I go paying for it. :p

Ice2257
Mar 2, 2010, 04:00 PM
Rip off for 14.99

Lower the price

MacFan782040
Mar 2, 2010, 04:11 PM
Bought it for $10 last year during the playoffs...does my "subscription" carry over? I only used it for a few weeks...

Shasterball
Mar 2, 2010, 04:24 PM
Bought it for $10 last year during the playoffs...does my "subscription" carry over? I only used it for a few weeks...

Nope.

jglavin
Mar 2, 2010, 04:25 PM
Bought it for $10 last year during the playoffs...does my "subscription" carry over? I only used it for a few weeks...I thought they reduced the price or made it free toward the end of the season. I guess not, which is quite a ripoff. I think they need to make it VERY clear (more so than it is) in the description that the app becomes useless when the next season starts.

That said, I will definitely be buying the app again. Live audio of my favorite team (which doesn't play near where I live) is a godsend in the car.

kmstrs
Mar 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm still mad at them from last year where I felt they used deceptive advertising. They are doing it this year again... They loudly shout that you can view live video feeds, choose home or away broadcasts, etc. but they don't bother to tell you that you can't watch the games *YOU* want to watch - you are instead stuck with only two live games shown on video that *THEY* choose each day.

Of course, if you buy their > $100 package, you can watch the games that you want to watch.

ckelley
Mar 2, 2010, 04:34 PM
I didn't buy it last year, but if I'm reading it right... the live game day audio AND video make this worth every penny, even if it's $5 more than last year. The cheapest MLB.tv costs $20/mo and MLB GameDay Audio costs as well... I can't pull up how much, can't seem to find it for some reason. If you don't need all the crazy features of MLB.tv and just want to watch or listen to the games live, this is a steal.

I'm not getting an iPad, but from the looks of the app, I think it'll be great, especially if you'll get all that with this $15 app (if transferrable).

macfan881
Mar 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
I'm still mad at them from last year where I felt they used deceptive advertising. They are doing it this year again... They loudly shout that you can view live video feeds, choose home or away broadcasts, etc. but they don't bother to tell you that you can't watch the games *YOU* want to watch - you are instead stuck with only two live games shown on video that *THEY* choose each day.

Of course, if you buy their > $100 package, you can watch the games that you want to watch.

Wrong they have a in app purchase of any non black out game for 99 cents

eagles2214
Mar 2, 2010, 05:01 PM
the description on iTunes says "Background Audio Playback". Does that mean I can listen to my Phils while browsing the internet?

Yelmurc
Mar 2, 2010, 05:23 PM
the description on iTunes says "Background Audio Playback". Does that mean I can listen to my Phils while browsing the internet?

IF I had to guess I figure they will do what wunder radio does. If you click play in the background it loads the audio feed in safari and plays from there.

Lara F
Mar 2, 2010, 05:26 PM

In my experience apps that allow for "background" audio like Pocket Tunes end up playing the audio through Safari, and you can't open another window. You'd be free to use a third party browser though and any other app would be available for use.

Good of MLB to allow this function for those not jailbroken, though I'm still hoping it'll be a moot point come OS 4.0...

Eric S.
Mar 2, 2010, 06:25 PM
Picked this up today. Yes it's $5 more than last year, but $15 for access to every MLB game for the whole season is way worth it in my opinion.

It's not immediately clear to me what their spring training coverage is though.

Buschmaster
Mar 2, 2010, 06:26 PM
Are people really that touchy over $14.99 for an app that's this good?

It was a no brainer for me! If they want another $14.99 for the iPad version I'll dish it out, this is my favorite app. (Other than my apps;))

Claytoniss
Mar 2, 2010, 06:46 PM
By far my most used app! Love it! Go ROX!

Eric S.
Mar 2, 2010, 07:07 PM

It was a no brainer for me! If they want another $14.99 for the iPad version I'll dish it out, this is my favorite app. (Other than my apps;))

Right. This is the one (and only) app that would make me consider getting an iPad.

Bodhi395
Mar 2, 2010, 07:09 PM
I definitely want to buy this, but want it for both my iphone and for ipad when I buy one. I really hope if you buy it for iphone, you can later get the ipad optimized version for free. I emailed MLB.com about that and hopefully will hear back.

mikejd1
Mar 2, 2010, 07:14 PM
Sportacluar for other team updates and the FREE WEEI app (for live audio redsox games) = :cool:

FU MLB, $14.99 my ass

JSmoove05
Mar 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
How do they raise the price 9.99 was already expensive and no really big in improvements. on the fence on this one. Every year MLB raises the price this is ridculous. I also wanna add this is not exactly live there is a delay on it not sure how many secs but a delay for sure. Last year I would compare the score on cbssports website with the feed on my phone and was alot slower.

bagelche
Mar 2, 2010, 08:55 PM
How do they raise the price 9.99 was already expensive and no really big in improvements. on the fence on this one. Every year MLB raises the price this is ridculous. I also wanna add this is not exactly live there is a delay on it not sure how many secs but a delay for sure. Last year I would compare the score on cbssports website with the feed on my phone and was alot slower.

I'm one of those who has drawn a hesitant breath at the $5 increase in price, however I have to say that $10 was not expensive for what you got. $15 really isn't too bad either considering what you get. I think our enthusiasm is primarily dampened by a) the price increase over last year (regardless of feature add) and b) how low the equilibrium of the iphone app market is.

There's delay on everything. Ever watch TV and had the radio on at the same time (so you don't have to listen to the TV announcers)? they're not in sync. In the world of broadcast it's close enough to real time, particularly if it's your primary source.

Michael CM1
Mar 2, 2010, 09:26 PM
With a 3GS for the full year and better reception at work, SIGN ME UP. Baseball isn't my favorite sport, but the Braves announcers are always good and it's great to listen to at work. It also makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth on the $30 data plan.

For those complaining about the price hike: really? You get audio from Whatever 162x15 is games. Pay attention to other things that cost about $15 -- one month of WoW, one month of satellite radio, a single movie ticket -- and it's a very good deal.

djbahdow01
Mar 2, 2010, 09:46 PM
Sportacluar for other team updates and the FREE WEEI app (for live audio redsox games) = :cool:

FU MLB, $14.99 my ass

Red Sox games will be blacked out on the WEEI app as the app runs off of the web audio. Which if you listen on the computer is blacked out and they run the Fox Sports instead. Its an MLB exclusive.

Its been like that for a few years now, if you head to WEEI you'll see that NBA and MLB games are not played online due to league restrictions. Sorry to burst your bubble, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the mlb app last year as I could have listened on FlyCast before the WEEI app came out.

I'm contemplating purchasing it, as I already have the gameday audio through Red Sox Nation, I think what MLB needs to do is give a discount or freebie to those who already subscribe online.

JonHimself
Mar 2, 2010, 10:09 PM
The blackout restrictions for video are what bother me... it's like a catch-22 type situation: I would buy this app so that I could watch Jays games on my phone, I can't watch Jays game on my phone so I don't buy the app - the MLB execs then see that they still make more money from selling the TV rights to networks and blacking out other outlets so they don't bother to change it up BUT if they somehow were able to remove the blackout restrictions they WOULD see an increase in sales because I would think more people would be buying it without the blackout restrictions.

Now, I have bought this app two years in a row and likely will buy it anyways.. so I suppose that's just an example for the sake of argument.

ckelley
Mar 2, 2010, 10:54 PM

Easily solved... pay attention to one thing? I mean, that's a bit nit-picky... do you need to know immediately? If it's a few seconds behind, is it that big of a deal? ESPN's ScoreCenter is minutes behind in reporting updated scores, especially with sending out Push notifications.

And by "every year" you mean... two? It was $9.99 and they added a lot of improvements over the year such as live audio and games, easily justifying the $14.99 as a steal if you compare this to MLB.tv service or Gameday Audio alone.

There's probably still going to be a Lite version as there was last year, and their Mobile site is pretty good on its own.

ckelley
Mar 2, 2010, 10:59 PM
The blackout restrictions for video are what bother me... it's like a catch-22 type situation: I would buy this app so that I could watch Jays games on my phone, I can't watch Jays game on my phone so I don't buy the app - the MLB execs then see that they still make more money from selling the TV rights to networks and blacking out other outlets so they don't bother to change it up BUT if they somehow were able to remove the blackout restrictions they WOULD see an increase in sales because I would think more people would be buying it without the blackout restrictions.

Now, I have bought this app two years in a row and likely will buy it anyways.. so I suppose that's just an example for the sake of argument.

I remember them saying something about attempting to change the blackout restrictions for mobile viewing in their next round of network negotiations (citation needed of course, looking...), kinda like how during the end of last season customers in NYC wouldn't get blacked out if they were Cablevision customers... maybe they could do that so people who live in Houston (for example, no teams here in Austin and my favorite team is in St. Louis :D) that are Time Warner/AT&T U-verse customers would get to see the Astros games without being blacked out.

Eric S.
Mar 2, 2010, 11:20 PM
For those complaining about the price hike: really? You get audio from Whatever 162x15 is games. Pay attention to other things that cost about $15 -- one month of WoW, one month of satellite radio, a single movie ticket -- and it's a very good deal.

Exactly. Compare it to the amount you'd spend to attend a single game in person.

JoEw
Mar 3, 2010, 12:53 AM
15 bucks is worth it for this app, one of the best apps out there. And they may drop the price to 10 bucks after a month or 2 if you really wanna wait.

soLoredd
Mar 3, 2010, 03:38 AM
I'll gladly pay the $14.99. Being able to listen to all of the A's games wherever I am is fantastic. And I have fond memories of At Bat 2009 as I used it to listen to A's games in the hospital when my son was born :) This app has come along way from 2008 when it was just live game updates.

The blackout thing is pretty dumb but not unexpected. One day sports will be completely Pay Per View. Slowly we're heading that way.

tellemfred
Mar 3, 2010, 05:44 AM
If you have a problem with paying $15 for this app, here's an idea - dont buy it!

For me, $15 to listen to every MLB game and watch 2 live games every day is a huge bargain. Remember what you're paying for.

If you listen to every game of your favorite team, and NOTHING MORE, you're paying 9 cents per game. I'm pretty sure if you live out of market and someone offered you that deal, you'd take it.

Like someone else said, think about what else costs $15. I thought it was a great deal at $10 and I still think it's worth an extra $5. Audio, video, highlights, stats, condensed games, etc.

We live in a world where everyone wants everything for free and has a false sense of entitlement, that's the issue here.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 3, 2010, 05:47 AM
You guys complaining don't have a clue. This app is well worth $15. I always thought $10 was too cheap, especially after they added 2 live video games a day.

I'd rebuy it today, but I'm waiting to see the final iPad version -- hoping maybe it will be backwards compatible w/ the iPhone.

It was $5 the first year -- but that was just for a half a season. It was $10 last year, but video only started up mid-season. It's $15 this year but you get a full season of 2 complete videos games a day plus every game in audio + what ever new features they say they'll add in as the season progresses.

The only way $15 is too expensive is if you are not really into baseball. I only wish the NFL offered a similar app.

DavieBoy
Mar 3, 2010, 07:49 AM
wow, $30 for slingbox and $15 for mlb = $45 for all the Yankees and Mets I could handle. I just hope that both apps take advantage of the video out API.

Last year I was happy to pay an increase since it had audio but this year I am mad since there is no real update. I guess mlb will just keep raising the price until we stop purchasing, so they can see what market decides the price is.

anthonymoody
Mar 3, 2010, 08:12 AM
I agree this app is worth every penny. However, a question. What's the purchase process? Is the 2010 version a completely new app that I buy (and delete last years version)? Or do I upgrade from inside the existing app somehow? Sorry not in front of iPhone at the moment...

bagelche
Mar 3, 2010, 08:21 AM
I agree this app is worth every penny. However, a question. What's the purchase process? Is the 2010 version a completely new app that I buy (and delete last years version)? Or do I upgrade from inside the existing app somehow? Sorry not in front of iPhone at the moment...

completely new. buy the app from app store on your phone or in iTunes, say goodbye to your old friend At Bat 2009.

anthonymoody
Mar 3, 2010, 08:25 AM
completely new. buy the app from app store on your phone or in iTunes, say goodbye to your old friend At Bat 2009.

Copy that. Thanks!

mgamber
Mar 3, 2010, 08:50 AM

You won't be able to watch or listen to any new games with At Bat 2009 BUT you can still access the video archives of the 2009 season with it so, if you have any interest in that, don't remove it from the phone just because you got 2010. They're not the same app and both can reside on the phone.

wacky4alanis
Mar 3, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'll stick with my slingbox/Tivo combo for watching Red Sox games remotely. No blackout restrictions, and I can start watching any time I want!

jamest71
Mar 3, 2010, 09:20 AM
Exactly. Compare it to the amount you'd spend to attend a single game in person.

Are you comparing listening to some limited feed to watching a game live?

stupid catch you....

jamest71
Mar 3, 2010, 09:22 AM
I would have to try it before paying $14.99.
If the feed was good then I would pay it.

Eric S.
Mar 3, 2010, 10:12 AM
Are you comparing listening to some limited feed to watching a game live?

Congrats on totally missing the point.

KidStallyn
Mar 3, 2010, 10:40 AM

That's not a bug....that's a bonus......especially since there is no such team anymore........

GoCubsGo
Mar 3, 2010, 10:42 AM

See I didn't see this as deceptive, actually it was very clearly outlined on the app page. If you missed it then it's because you didn't read. Now I did buy the additional package to get all games, however, I believe I'll likely go the in-app purchase route this season. I'm undecided.

Wicker
Mar 3, 2010, 10:59 AM
The two lives games that are shown... is it possible to watch a full replay of them later on (not condensed)?

I'm asking because I'm in the UK and will not watch many games live, but I'd be interested if I could watch the game the next morning in full.

Thanks!

hokiepokie07
Mar 3, 2010, 11:47 AM
I didn't buy this last year but, you can only get two live video games each night?

I have the DirecTV MLB Extra Innings, but for times that I am not at home at night to watch the Mets, I could spend $15 to get updates like this.

I'm debating because really, Sportacular does the job for me.

Cubert
Mar 3, 2010, 11:51 AM
I thought they reduced the price or made it free toward the end of the season. I guess not, which is quite a ripoff. I think they need to make it VERY clear (more so than it is) in the description that the app becomes useless when the next season starts.

That said, I will definitely be buying the app again. Live audio of my favorite team (which doesn't play near where I live) is a godsend in the car.

Wasn't free updates for life part of the iPhone strategy that Apple announced when the App Store debuted? I thought that for any paid app you would get updates to it forever. Isn't this part of the agreement that developers sign?

Chupa Chupa
Mar 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
The two lives games that are shown... is it possible to watch a full replay of them later on (not condensed)?

I'm asking because I'm in the UK and will not watch many games live, but I'd be interested if I could watch the game the next morning in full.

Thanks!

No. You can only watch full games live. However, if you buy a MLB.TV sub you can watch full games after they are completed on your computer. It will be interesting to see what's available on the iPad app since the archived games are Flash.

Eric S.
Mar 3, 2010, 12:07 PM
Wasn't free updates for life part of the iPhone strategy that Apple announced when the App Store debuted? I thought that for any paid app you would get updates to it forever. Isn't this part of the agreement that developers sign?

Even if that's true, this is not an update. It's an entirely new app. I downloaded it and now I have both MLB At Bat 2010 and 2009.

Friscohoya
Mar 3, 2010, 12:43 PM
I love baseball and clearly this has done well, but $14.99 seems like a stretch. Maybe I dont love baseball as much as I thought?

zgall1
Mar 3, 2010, 01:30 PM
They have actually managed to get background audio working through a very neat trick. It sends you to Safari, you press play and the audio continues even if Safari is closed. Pretty awesome.

Wicker
Mar 3, 2010, 01:44 PM
No. You can only watch full games live. However, if you buy a MLB.TV sub you can watch full games after they are completed on your computer. It will be interesting to see what's available on the iPad app since the archived games are Flash.

Bah, that's no good then :-(

Thanks for your answer.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 3, 2010, 02:13 PM
I love baseball and clearly this has done well, but $14.99 seems like a stretch. Maybe I dont love baseball as much as I thought?

Yup. If we were talking about NASCAR or MLS I'd feel the same way. For baseball fans, especially those who live in a market outside "their" teams territory it's bargain.

jimmc
Mar 3, 2010, 03:24 PM
How do they raise the price 9.99 was already expensive and no really big in improvements. on the fence on this one. Every year MLB raises the price this is ridculous.

Then don't pay it. Clearly MLB is looking to find the "tipping point" where users decline due to price. Otherwise it's called capitalism. You gotta problem with that?

Astro7x
Mar 3, 2010, 03:56 PM
15 bucks is worth it for this app, one of the best apps out there. And they may drop the price to 10 bucks after a month or 2 if you really wanna wait.

Last year the $10 price held strong all season long, then they temporarily lowered the price to $5 during the last week of the regular season right before playoffs, then back to $10 as playoffs started, then made it free after the World Series concluded.

Honestly this Application is a steal for what it offers. Especially since I live out of my favorite teams market so I can watch all the games for free. And if you can find a way to split an MLB.com subscription with a friend and get all the games w/ video, even better.

btopping
Mar 3, 2010, 04:34 PM
I didn't have the app (or an iPhone) last year, so:

1. Does the new app definitely include these 2 random games (video) per day? I didn't see that in the info. Is that what they did in 2009?

2. Doesn't Wicker from UK just need the MLB.TV premium package and he can watch all games either live or archived on either his computer or his iPhone?

3. Lastly, someone mentioned sharing an MLB.TV subscription. Any thoughts on how to do that? Did anyone do it last year? I love that idea. :)

Chupa Chupa
Mar 3, 2010, 05:50 PM
I didn't have the app (or an iPhone) last year, so:

1. Does the new app definitely include these 2 random games (video) per day? I didn't see that in the info. Is that what they did in 2009?

2. Doesn't Wicker from UK just need the MLB.TV premium package and he can watch all games either live or archived on either his computer or his iPhone?

3. Lastly, someone mentioned sharing an MLB.TV subscription. Any thoughts on how to do that? Did anyone do it last year? I love that idea. :)

1. The 1-2 live games started mid-season last year. Feature list for 2010 says live video so I assume that is what they mean. The original version had "top play" clips, but obviously they were time delayed.

2. MLB.TV requires Flash so you would need At Bat to view video on the iPhone/Touch. If you sub to MLB.TV you can see all non-black out games live.

3. I subscribe to the NFL Sunday Ticket on DTV which lets you watch online or iPhone. On Sundays when I know I'll be at home I let my brother log-on to my acct. I suppose MLB.TV works the same way. As long as only one of you is watching at a time you should be fine. You can't log on with two computers at the same time tough.

mattniles007
Mar 3, 2010, 07:29 PM
This app is great, I used it way more than I thought I would last season. Raising the price though? In these times? Come on MLB. Should of kept it at $9.99

pimentoLoaf
Mar 3, 2010, 11:37 PM

An iPad version with MLB.tv optimized for iPad -- now that would be awesome! :cool:

Claytoniss
Mar 4, 2010, 12:09 AM
I absolutely loved the condensed game the next day!

They also look like the have an AT THE BALLPARK feature! Hopefully a lot of stadiums will have wifi like the GIANTS park. As long as you watch out for baseballs, this would be pretty handy....

Astro7x
Mar 4, 2010, 01:55 PM

I've had success at doing it in the past (though never tried with two iPhone users, one on the computer on on the iPhone), but I've read online about other people having no problem with it using it strictly on the computer. I think there might be conflicts if multiple people are in the same area watching the same games though, definitely do some research.

circusbass
Mar 4, 2010, 02:48 PM
They have actually managed to get background audio working through a very neat trick. It sends you to Safari, you press play and the audio continues even if Safari is closed. Pretty awesome.

The only downfall is that Safari is unable to allow the game to play and browse at the same time. In trying to find a workaround for this I realized I had a download manager app with a browser built into it. It's not as great a browsing experience but with a game in the background it gets the job done.

cavemonkey50
Mar 4, 2010, 03:29 PM
I've had success at doing it in the past (though never tried with two iPhone users, one on the computer on on the iPhone), but I've read online about other people having no problem with it using it strictly on the computer. I think there might be conflicts if multiple people are in the same area watching the same games though, definitely do some research.

From what I've found, MLB.TV will allow only one desktop user logged in at a time. If one person is logged in, the other get's logged out. I have had success watching a game both on my desktop and my iPhone, but I've never tried two iPhones.

I would assume you could probably use two iPhones without any technical barriers, but it might raise a red flag on their server end and cause your account to be audited. In general, I would keep it to one game streaming at a time.

I share my MLB.TV account with my brother, and it works well for us, as he's a Cubs fan (a lot of day games at Wrigley) and I'm a Yankees fan (more night games).

Regarding the questions about blackouts, desktop MLB.TV uses your IP address to determine location, while the iPhone uses your GPS. I've found in some weird cases a game has been blacked out on my desktop, because they thought I was in a different market, but it works fine on my iPhone.

iphone1105
Mar 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
This app is great, I used it way more than I thought I would last season. Raising the price though? In these times? Come on MLB. Should of kept it at $9.99

Yeah that whole $5 "IN THESE TIMES" is really going to put a strain on your wallet huh? I beg of you, goto your couch, I guarantee you have $5 in chnage there. :rolleyes:

everettwolf
Mar 4, 2010, 05:22 PM
Jeezus. You GO to a game and 2, count 'em TWO, beers cost $15, and people are whining about $15 dollars for an entire season of baseball on their mobile devices that they can watch just about anywhere?

Seriously, get a grip. Or a job. Or whine to mommy about it. Or buy your tampons at Costco to make up for it. keeeerist.

You want hours and hours and days and days of entertainment for free??? One 2 hour movie with popcorn costs more than that. Do you give away YOUR services for free?

For god's sake, there are people whining in the App store about the FREE apps, or getting RIPPED OFF for $0.99. Really? Seriously? Do mommy and daddy pay your cell bill?

sheaitisnotso
Mar 5, 2010, 12:34 AM
An iPad version with MLB.tv optimized for iPad -- now that would be awesome! :cool:

Umm, hope you're joking because that's exactly what they've done. Check out the video presentation when Jobs presents the iPad and fast forward to when they show the few apps already designed for the iPad. MLB is one of them and that app looks awesome.

This is one of THE main reasons i'm buying an iPad. My laptop is an over 4.5 year old iBook and it's getting harder and harder to watch the video because it just can't keep up, especially HD videos. However the internet still works well so it's still useable. Being able to watch Orioles games on my new iPad is going to be fantastic! I'm already an MLB.tv subscriber and think I shouldn't have to pay another $15 for the app but we'll see.

Astro7x
Mar 5, 2010, 01:16 PM
Being able to watch Orioles games on my new iPad is going to be fantastic! I'm already an MLB.tv subscriber and think I shouldn't have to pay another $15 for the app but we'll see.

Eh... IMO that's like saying "I bought this game for my PS3, I should get the 360 version for free!". That said, there should be no reason why the MLB At Bat application can't be replicated on a standard computer with a mouse point and click interface.

And if you are going to drop AT LEAST $500 on an iPad to watch MLB games, is $15 more really that much more money?

sheaitisnotso
Mar 5, 2010, 08:53 PM
Eh... IMO that's like saying "I bought this game for my PS3, I should get the 360 version for free!". That said, there should be no reason why the MLB At Bat application can't be replicated on a standard computer with a mouse point and click interface.

And if you are going to drop AT LEAST $500 on an iPad to watch MLB games, is $15 more really that much more money?

Sorry I should've been more specific. The iPad isn't just for watching MLB games, but I'll be using it for all internet purposes so that my iBook will last longer and just be used as a host for all my media and files.

No, $15 isn't a big deal. But already spending $80 for their MLB.tv subscription I think they can throw me a bone and throw in the app for free. Sorry, not sure I understand your analogy there with PS3 and XBox being two different systems. You need the MLB.tv subscription to watch any game you want through the app so the app should be thrown in for free with any subscription purchase.

RyanTheGeneral
Mar 5, 2010, 10:45 PM
How worth it is this app? just for the $15 you can listen to every game? and watch them? or do you need to purchase anything else along with this to do those things? I thought about getting this at the beginning of last season but went with sportacular instead.

But if I can listen to the games with this I would not mind looking into it. thanks in advance

Goldcard
Mar 6, 2010, 12:00 PM
I was skeptical of this app last year when it was released but it turned out to be a godsend!

This year I bought it the first day it was released and wouldn't blink to buy it for 20 dollars next year! This is by far my most used app during the summer months.

Eric S.
Mar 6, 2010, 12:36 PM
How worth it is this app? just for the $15 you can listen to every game? and watch them? or do you need to purchase anything else along with this to do those things?

You can listen to every game, with either home or away audio feeds. For live video, you get two free games per day (subject to blackout restrictions), which you don't get to choose. If you want to watch a different game (again subject to blackout restrictions) it costs 99 cents, or at least it did last year.

Regarding the $5 price hike this year, you have to remember that live video only started in the second half of last season. (Besides the fact that $15 is a pittance for this kind of access.)

dukebound85
Mar 6, 2010, 12:57 PM
It would be nice you could pick the 2 (or just 1) games a day of your choice and every other game you want to watch would cost more

crash8130
Mar 6, 2010, 02:25 PM
Wrong they have a in app purchase of any non black out game for 99 cents

The app was worth every freaking penny. I have no problem paying the $14.99 for the new app. I can't wait for the iPad app. The MLB app set the gold standard of how a sports app is suppose to look.

macfan881
Mar 6, 2010, 04:56 PM
Think of it this way the NBA League pass is basically the same app in terms of what it does and yet that was 40 bucks in the beginning of the season so be happy that this is 15 the NBA App sucks compared to MLB.

Galley
Mar 7, 2010, 09:27 AM
How worth it is this app? just for the $15 you can listen to every game? and watch them? or do you need to purchase anything else along with this to do those things? I thought about getting this at the beginning of last season but went with sportacular instead.

But if I can listen to the games with this I would not mind looking into it. thanks in advance

If you have an MLB.TV subscription (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=mlbtv&affiliateId=MLBTVREDIRECT) ($99.95), then you can watch any out-of-market game for no additional charge using the iPhone app.

Warbrain
Mar 7, 2010, 09:18 PM
The 15 dollars really put me off. I'll probably end up buying it at some point.

Astro7x
Mar 10, 2010, 04:36 PM
For the past two seasons people have had success sharing their MLB TV subscription between 5 people. If you feel it's too expensive, find 4 other people to split it with.

PlayRadioPlay
Mar 11, 2010, 01:42 AM
Jeezus. You GO to a game and 2, count 'em TWO, beers cost $15, and people are whining about $15 dollars for an entire season of baseball on their mobile devices that they can watch just about anywhere?

Seriously, get a grip. Or a job. Or whine to mommy about it. Or buy your tampons at Costco to make up for it. keeeerist.

You want hours and hours and days and days of entertainment for free??? One 2 hour movie with popcorn costs more than that. Do you give away YOUR services for free?

For god's sake, there are people whining in the App store about the FREE apps, or getting RIPPED OFF for $0.99. Really? Seriously? Do mommy and daddy pay your cell bill?
Seriously. +10

ucfgrad93
Mar 11, 2010, 01:41 PM
Go ROX!

I like the way you think!:D

pinacoladaburg
Mar 15, 2010, 05:56 AM
How can anyone complain about this app. Its 15 bucks because it provides perfect audio quality and broadcasts from either the home or away team. You get a ton of free live video feeds of games, and they let you buy any game you want for a buck. Not to mention this is one of the best-functioning apps out there. Its really well-made, never crashes, and makes the other sports apps look like garbage. MLB At-Bat, NCAA March Madness, and ESPN Radio are three sports apps that put most other apps, in any category, to shame.

Eric S.
Apr 5, 2010, 03:47 PM
One thing I've noticed with this year's version of the app, all through spring training and now still on opening day, is that the scores don't update. They're correct when I start the app but then they don't change. I have to quit the app and restart it to get updated scores. Are other people seeing this problem? I was hoping it was just a spring training thing so I'm a bit dismayed to see that it isn't working for regular season games either.

mgamber
Apr 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
Think of it this way the NBA League pass is basically the same app in terms of what it does and yet that was 40 bucks in the beginning of the season so be happy that this is 15 the NBA App sucks compared to MLB.

You have to keep in mind that the NBA sucks compared to MLB. Who even bothers going to see the 76ers and the Nets are so bad TV stations don't even bother carrying them. Will & Grace reruns get better ratings. :-D

Per the scores, sometimes they update in a timely fashion, sometimes they don't. I'm guessing they're trying to find a happy medium. I do like all the really nice improvements. The video overlays so you don't need to stop watching a game to look something up is very nice. And I had the Phillies on and it didn't make entire room stink, very nice improvement there!

Eric S.
Apr 5, 2010, 04:50 PM
Per the scores, sometimes they update in a timely fashion, sometimes they don't. I'm guessing they're trying to find a happy medium.

No, I am not seeing any updates at all. I can leave it go for hours and it doesn't update. But if I quit and restart the app the scores will be correct. This didn't happen last year.

Edit: Hmm, a couple hours ago I sent an email about this to mlb.com, and now it looks like the scores are updating. Strange coincidence, I suppose.

RMXO
Apr 5, 2010, 07:33 PM
I can't watch a game on MLB.TV on either on my laptop or iPad. I'm getting a connection error messages & my internet is fine. Now I can't even get at Bat on my iPad to load all the scores. I hope this isn't a recurring thing. :mad:

Nsutton
Apr 5, 2010, 08:28 PM
Whooa! you can get one FREE streaming game a day?? or do you have to pay?