Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

175855-movies.jpg

CNet reports that Apple's plans for cloud computing could go well beyond music. Apple is said to have been in negotiations with some of the major film studios to offer streaming video service to users.
Apple has told the studios that under the plan, iTunes users will access video from various Internet-connected devices. Apple would, of course, prefer that users access video from the iPad, the company's upcoming tablet computer, the sources said.
The move makes sense in light of the iPad device which offers a nice video consumption device, though without a lot of onboard storage, maxing out at 64GB. It seems Apple has lot of convincing to do, however, as movie studios are working hard to avoid locking their content into one particular platform. Movie studios would prefer content purchased on once device could also be used on other devices.

Apple has been making apparent moves into streaming content with the acquisition of LaLa media and their North Carolina data center, but previous rumors had focused primarily on music streaming.

Article Link: Apple to Stream Video As Well as Music and TV?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Blu ray? What's THAT?

No surprise that the iPad will be at the forefront of this streaming push. Content providers will have no choice but to be on board.

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Gee, can't wait to watch streaming video on my BOXY, SQUARE, 4:3, STANDARD-DEF DIMENSIONS iPad! <<grumble>>

Gimmie widescreeeeeeeen.

iPhoney:)

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
The Cloud Is A Lie!!!!

It doesn't really exist! Don't be fooled, local storage of information will be just as important in the future as it is today. These big corporations want to control our data, our lives, and our destinies and we can't let them!:(

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
The downside being that it's another reason to keep Blu-Ray off the Macs.

But does it make Mac purchasers a captive audience?

iPad = Pez dispenser for Apple-shaped candy
iTunes = Only makers of Apple-shaped candy

Or am I wrong?

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Give me 1080p video with less compression and better color than Blu Ray, and give em the exact same lossless audio with either the same or additional channels as the corresponding Blu Ray releases, and you will have me as a customer Apple. Until then, the highest quality version of movies are on Blu Ray and the only incentive I have to buy or rent form you is convenience.

But get the A/V geeks on board, Apple you will take over the world!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The downside being that it's another reason to keep Blu-Ray off the Macs.

But does it make Mac purchasers a captive audience?

iPad = Pez dispenser for Apple-shaped candy
iTunes = Only makers of Apple-shaped candy

Or am I wrong?

Wrong only in the sense that "candy" implies some optional treat,
whereas people's "digital fix" is closer to "crack" than "candy".

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
DIsney KeyChest - we're going to see Apple let rip on the iPad with video and streaming rentals - they can see many want to rent rather than buy a DVD (why buy if you'll only watch once?).

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Give me 1080p video with less compression and better color than Blu Ray, and give em the exact same lossless audio with either the same or additional channels as the corresponding Blu Ray releases, and you will have me as a customer Apple.

Your wish is granted. *POOF*

Apple developed iFrame for this purpose. (The Sanyo VPC-FH1ABK camcorder is the first to implement the new codec.) You'll supposedly get Blu-Ray quality with much smaller (streamable) file sizes.

I've begun to understand Apple's strategy. Fifteen years ago, all my data resided on a handful of floppies. Now I have an array of three external hard drives, and I'm running out of space. It's getting ridiculous. It all has to go to the cloud. There's no other viable solution.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Is there a business model yet for torrenting? And no not torrenting like pirating stuff, but the distrubtion of media legally but with no central location for faster transfers and such?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Gee, can't wait to watch streaming video on my BOXY, SQUARE, 4:3, STANDARD-DEF DIMENSIONS iPad! <<grumble>>

Gimmie widescreeeeeeeen.

The iPad size is deceptive.

Height:
9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
Width:
7.47 inches (189.7 mm)

The screen may be 4:3 but you can still watch 16:9 720P video.

AppleMojo

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
It doesn't really exist! Don't be fooled, local storage of information will be just as important in the future as it is today. These big corporations want to control our data, our lives, and our destinies and we can't let them!:(

Dude, we're with you.

I'm hiding out in the woods right now, connected with packet radio. wait. who's there. gotta change locations. wolverines!

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
It seems Apple has lot of convincing to do, however, as movie studios are working hard to avoid locking their content into one particular platform. Movie studios would prefer content purchased on once device could also be used on other devices.

Really? That seems the opposite of what I would expect movie studios to want. Their optimal business model is charge you $10-30 for each platform you want to watch the movie on - $30 for a BR copy, $15 for a DVD copy for the kids room, $12-15 to watch it on an iProduct (iPhone/iPad). And the DMCA they lobbied extensively for keeps you from legally ripping your one purchased BR copy for all of those devices due to the anti-circumvention provisions.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio

Gimmie widescreeeeeeeen.

The pixel density is all that really matters and 132 ppi is pretty good.

You realize that the only feature that is good for wide-screen is videos. That would be awkward to hold for anything else. If all you are going to do get a JooJoo.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Cloud, cloud... ah, it's the thing that will separate country folks from urban ones; commuters from tourists and the rich and middle classes from the poor.

They must have got the idea from Star Trek. Only that if it works on Star Trek, there is a good chance that it might face its own limitations in real life.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Depending on how well the streaming works, it seems like storage will be going the way of the dinosaur. Even documents could be accesed online.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

jayducharme said:
Give me 1080p video with less compression and better color than Blu Ray, and give em the exact same lossless audio with either the same or additional channels as the corresponding Blu Ray releases, and you will have me as a customer Apple.

Your wish is granted. *POOF*

Apple developed iFrame for this purpose. (The Sanyo VPC-FH1ABK camcorder is the first to implement the new codec.) You'll supposedly get Blu-Ray quality with much smaller (streamable) file sizes.

I've begun to understand Apple's strategy. Fifteen years ago, all my data resided on a handful of floppies. Now I have an array of three external hard drives, and I'm running out of space. It's getting ridiculous. It all has to go to the cloud. There's no other viable solution.

I couldn't disagree more. Perhaps you are the exception, but most users storage capacity is expanding far faster than their storage needs. I think I have about 60 GB on my imac's HD, and I take digital pictures, have thousands of songs, and have even ripped some DVDs. I'm not close to a high end storage user, but I do a lot more than a lot of people I know, many of them in the younger demographic. Computers coming with 1 TB or more standard blows my mind, and if that's not enough, you can terabytes more for a relative pittance.

Unless you create digital content (video, RAW images), I can't fathom how you could exceed the space available in a standard computer plus a couple of externals. Add to that the privacy concerns and potential inability to access data on a cloud and I really can't understand who would want that.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Blu ray? What's THAT?

No surprise that the iPad will be at the forefront of this streaming push. Content providers will have no choice but to be on board.

Yeah, why would I want to see my movies on a big 52" TV in 1080p Full HD resolution if I can watch them on a small 4:3 screen in a compressed lossy format? :rolleyes:

I'm going to sell all my Blu Ray discs right now, together with my TV and Blu ray player. The iPad is totally going to replace that old fashioned stuff! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.