PDA

View Full Version : Help ATV Installing drive....

b01189
Mar 3, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hey guys I'm in need of some help here. My buddy brought me an Apple Tv with out a hard drive currently installed. But he had bought a 160HD upgrade from Ebay. We have installed this new drive in the Apple Tv and now all it does is sit there and blink an amber light trying to start up. Is there something else we could be doing or that we are doing wrong....

Thanks for the help guys.

Cave Man
Mar 3, 2010, 09:57 PM
If you don't have the Boot, EFI and Recovery partitions you're not going to get it running.

b01189
Mar 5, 2010, 08:47 PM
The drive that we have purchased has all the correct partions. OSBoot, free space, Media ect... No matter what we try cannot get an image on the screen or any audio. Only thing it does is sit with an amber flashing light.....

Cave Man
Mar 5, 2010, 09:49 PM
Have you tried doing a factory reset?

b01189
Mar 5, 2010, 09:52 PM
Yes held down menu and -.. does absolutly nothing but sit there and blink. Could this be a firmware issue? If so how do I update it with out being able to load the OS?

Cave Man
Mar 5, 2010, 11:42 PM
If you do have a genuine drive with Boot, EFI and Recovery partitions, then you probably need to pull the drive and use ATVCloner to image those partitions. You might then be able to use ATVCloner to reinitialize the drive and put the partitions back where they belong on the hard drive. The ATV is picky about where those partitions reside.

pacmania1982
Mar 6, 2010, 09:37 AM
Yes held down menu and -.. does absolutly nothing but sit there and blink. Could this be a firmware issue? If so how do I update it with out being able to load the OS?

Definitely a firmware issue, i.e. you don't have any!!

Before you put the 160GB drive in you need to prepare it like what the other guys on here have said. Without the original drive, I don't think you're gonna have any luck

pac

b01189
Mar 6, 2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks... for the info guys. Is there any way to get the firmware such as from a working drive with the OS loaded?

Cave Man
Mar 7, 2010, 08:06 AM
There is no "firmware" - it is all software. If you use ATVCloner you can pull the three partitions needed for rebuilding a drive. See above for those partitions.

dbwie
Mar 7, 2010, 08:21 AM
I think I posted this in another thread yesterday, but here is a link to the ATVcloner user guide: http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/atvcloner-user-guide/